Quantcast

TorX bolts and IS standard

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
1. Where can I pic up some of those torx bolts for my disks? They look like 6 point stars. Oh yeah and a wrench to go with.

2. i have a tendency to ride my rear brakes. Trying not too but its hard. If I got a bigger rotor would that help with the heat dissapation?

3. I have a Joker with XT Disks. Ellsworth doesn't sell an adaptor to upgrade to 8. But it is an IS standard. So technically if I got a IS to IS adaptor would it work?

Thanks.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Dog Welder
1. Where can I pic up some of those torx bolts for my disks? They look like 6 point stars. Oh yeah and a wrench to go with.

2. i have a tendency to ride my rear brakes. Trying not too but its hard. If I got a bigger rotor would that help with the heat dissapation?

3. I have a Joker with XT Disks. Ellsworth doesn't sell an adaptor to upgrade to 8. But it is an IS standard. So technically if I got a IS to IS adaptor would it work?

Thanks.
For the bolts try a place that specializes in bolts, a good hardware store or a auto parts store. The torx bits can be found at any automotive store or Sears. As far as going with an 8" rotor, it does make a big difference. Can't help you though with an adaptor. Let me know if you find one cause I'd like one for my Hopes so I can run a 205mm on the rear of my bike.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Answers:

1. My LBS had bolts and a wrench, which they threw in for free when I bought a rotor + other junk from them.

2. Yes, but see 3.

3. Many bikes don't have clearance for an 8" disc. You should check with Ellsworth, or just eyeball the swingarm to see if there's room.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Hey Brian...you got a Disco Volante right? And it didn't come setup for an 8 inch in the rear? Thats kinda surprising.
Yeah, It will work but the thing is with Hope brakes they don't make a caliper half to run a 205mm rotor for the rear. So right now I'm running a 205mm front and a 185mm rear. I don't need a 205mm cause the 185mm stops perfect. I just think the 205mm will look cool.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Are you wishing to run a larger disc on the rear and small up front? If so, don't take this the wrong way but its wrong. Most of the braking power comes from the front brake. Note how racing motorcyles will have two giant discs up front and a smaller single on the rear. Note how sometimes going into hard corners from high speed the rear tire comes off the ground or its getting squirrely. You really need to use that front brake a lot. Its really hard to ride using only the rear. Its actually pretty hard to endo by using just the front brake.

There is a local guy I know who is running an 8 inch rear and 6 inch front. He is an idiot and I refuse to ride with him. He skids everywhere. His saddle is pointed down at an angle of about 15 degrees. The saddle is as far forward as it goes. He uses a single layer of hockey tape instead of a set of grips. He complains of sore hands and shoulders and of a fear of going over the bars. He does not understand how if he would set his bike up properly he would probably eliminate his problems and learn to ride more stuff. Sorry to rant. But perhaps you need to look at set up????

How far out are your levers? If they're too far a reach you might be having a hard time modulating. It takes less strength if you can curl your finger around the lever fully as oposed to pulling from an extended finger(s).

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
No problem about the rant. I'm would like to run 8 front and rear. The reason you might have gotten the impression that I use the rear a lot isn't because I skid... far from that. I use the rear to control my speed and hence create a lot of heat. The front I use only to shed Lots of speed. I wanted to know if the larger rotor in the rear would dissapate heat better because after a couple of runs my fronts are solid but my rear's have faded.

No problem about the rant. I'm would like to run 8 front and rear. The reason you might have gotten the impression that I use the rear a lot isn't because I skid... far from that. I use the rear to control my speed and hence create a lot of heat. The front I use only to shed Lots of speed. I wanted to know if the larger rotor in the rear would dissapate heat better because after a couple of runs my fronts are solid but my rear's have faded.
Faded meaning they work OK after they cool down?

Trouble with running same size front and rear is that the size difference is supposed to roughly balance front and rear braking for equal pressure applied at levers. When you're hard on the brakes, I presume you're using both.

J

ZOG

Chimp
Feb 25, 2002
CT
We have three sets of disc brakes on bikes in my family. None have torx bolts. Torx style bolts are good for preventing slippage of your wrench. Unless you are a mechanical klutz, you can use any style bolt head that will not interfere with the rotation of the rotor. Be sure to use a torque wrench and use the reccomended torque by your brake manufacturer. ALWAYS use RED (271) LocTite and allow it to dry.