Quantcast

Toshiba's 60hr iPod

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
http://badcomedown.blogspot.com/2005/09/toshiba-develops-fuel-cell-for-mp3.html

Toshiba has announced their development of a compact methanol fuel cell capable of powering a digital music player for up to 60 hours on a single charge. About the same as a pack of gum, 100mW and 300mW models of the fuel cell prototype run on single charges of 3.5ml and 10ml of concentrated methanol respectively.

Toshiba claims the cells are able to power a HDD-based digital music player for 35 hours, for the smaller cell, and 60 hours for the larger one - an impressive gain over conventional batteries used in today's portable electronics. Two players running off the fuel cell prototypes, and their methanol cartridges, will get their public debut at CEATEC JAPAN 2005.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Thats great, except your compact methanol powered mp3 player will no longer get to go on an airplane. FAA rules.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Zark said:
Thats great, except your compact methanol powered mp3 player will no longer get to go on an airplane. FAA rules.
Ha, you think TSA people would be smart enough to figure it out - good one! TSA is joke...

People don't turn off their devices/pagers/cellular PDAs,etc. either (though cell phone operate safely in planes and it was an FCC issue).

BTW, defective batteries can overheat and explode - they are still allowed on planes...

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
Why not just build a minature radioisotope thermoelectric generators and do away with the whole charging thing forever. The voyager spacecraft are still ticking after 20 years, and probably for another 20. They used to put plutonium powered ones in artificial hearts so where's the harm? :thumb:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Defective batteries can overheat and explode or catch on fire (Apple powerbooks have before - LOL) - the risk is probably on par with mini fuel cells (that is extremely rare unless the device is defective). Not to mention that probably some of the liquor they sell in the food carts and duty-free in the air shopping is flammable...

If correctly charged, lithium-ion cell should never generate gases and cause venting. But in spite of what is said, the lithium-based cells can build up internal pressure under certain conditions. Some cells include an electrical switch that disconnects the current flow if the cell pressure reaches a critical level. Other cells rupture a membrane to release the gases in a controlled way. lithium-ion-polymer in a pouch cell sometime grows to the shape of a small balloon because these cells do not include venting. Ballooning cell are known to damage the housing of the portable device."
Mobile Battery Problems Explode

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
syadasti said:
Also defective batteries can overheat and explode or catch on fire (Apple powerbooks have before - LOL!) - they are still allowed on planes...

So have DELLS!! LOL! LOL! AHAHA LOL AHAHA LOL AHAHA LOL AHAH LOL LOL LOL

LOL

LOL

LOL

LOL

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Apple has had many more battery issues and recalls - ibook, iPod, powerbooks, etc..

Thats a "quality" Apple product. Good thing you paid extra for it! Apple/Dell/HP/whatever are all usually made by a handful of Taiwanese companies (Quanta, Compal, etc...)

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
syadasti said:
Yah except that was well after a recall. Apple has had many more battery issues and recalls - ibook, iPod, powerbooks, etc..

Thats a "quality" product. Good thing you paid extra for it!
Oh damn I'm withering under the weight of the facts! NO wait I don't care what computer you use! NO WAIT!!! LOL!!!

LOL!!!!

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
SkaredShtles said:
Your posts seem to have deteriorated markedly since you sold the :monkey:

You OK? ;)
I spent the fortune I made on 1000 cases of beer and 100 Ipod shuffles! My life rules!!! Ipod RULEZ!!!!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I think you should return to pinkbike like narlus has suggested. They would value your quality posts more over there. Its great to derail a topic and contribute nothing of value :thumb:

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
I'd like to move back to Colorado. Colorado roxorz more than ipods which roxorz 122 times more than competing digital music players. God told me so.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Toshi said:
are you using iPod as a generic term? :dead:
heh. i started the post meaning to have a comment about seeing if we could hook the iPod Discussers along the lines of RMs thread yesterday but i forgot by the time i cut and pasted everything. :)