Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Rather than take up space on DH/DS, I'm going to set up camp here. Now that I have a digital camera, the pics will be flowing in constantly, and I'll post links to their index pages on my website.

Update-the-latest: both my old old domain name (tjclark.ath.cx) and my new old domain name (toshiclark.com) are now both defunct. Google+ and imgur are so competent as image hosting services that it seems silly to maintain or pay for one's own server.

Last edited:

Quadari

Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
Washington, DC
hehe...yeah, so about that spill. Looks good, eh?

I would say that I meant to do that, but the scrapes on my leg tell me otherwise.

Oh well, live and learn. Hopefully next time i'll make it, and perhaps won't knock Toshi's bike out of alignment either. :D

Ari

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by Quadari
hehe...yeah, so about that spill. Looks good, eh?

I would say that I meant to do that, but the scrapes on my leg tell me otherwise.

Oh well, live and learn. Hopefully next time i'll make it, and perhaps won't knock Toshi's bike out of alignment either. :D

Ari
You posted! Now we can start our own clique...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Yeah, did you like that?
<Posts: 1>

woohoo.
And now you're at three, thanks to the carbon cranks thread. Wow. What say we get Keith and Keirse onto ridemonkey? We could use this thread as our own little space, without annoying the many non-riding members of humba with our banter.

Quadari

Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
Washington, DC
Muahahahah....

We're taking over ridemonkey. me and my, now 4, posts.

Actually that would be kind of fun. On the other hand, if we use the HUMBA list then we might intise all those non-riders to come join us. Or we might just annoy them. ;)

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
Well toshi, I succumbed to the peer pressure and joined. Those pics (and videos) fromn the ride are cool. I'm jealous. Anyway, I'm getting most of the Superlight tomorrow I'm pretty psyched.

peace

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by WTGPhoben

Well toshi, I succumbed to the peer pressure and joined. Those pics (and videos) fromn the ride are cool. I'm jealous. Anyway, I'm getting most of the Superlight tomorrow I'm pretty psyched.

peace
Ah, xc goodness. I don't think you ever saw my Cannondale, as I had the Stinky by sophomore year. Here's my old ride:

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Today was a busy day... lots of building and assembling. I thought you guys might like the summary:

The negatives
flat tire on arrival
Packing tape used as rimtape
no seat or seatpost till wednesday
crank isn't splined
SRAM Derailleurs and shifters :mad: :mad: :mad: Who makes derailleurs and brake levers out of plastic?? (sorry: "Composite")
no pedals :(

The positives (neg,ecting the obvious fact that the bike is pretty sweet)
Light ass wheelset
Race face bars&stem
Four inches of buttery smooth rear travel (now I know what I was missing):D

Not Sure yet:
cable disc brakes
175mm cranks
Manitou fork:confused:

The kicker:

All this in sasquatch size (that's my size) for a mere 27lb (1.5lbs less than the old ride, and yes, I weighed them both)

Anyway, here's the before pictures. (after pictures when i rip all that sram crap off the bike and maybe put on the discs will follow):

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Sweet! I take it you bought the used one since you have all these parts I haven't seen before, no? It's no fair that you're making your bike lighter when you're already too fast on the climbs. Punk. :eek: :D

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
It's no fair that you're making your bike lighter when you're already too fast on the climbs. Punk.
If it makes you feel any better, I still can't jump.

anyway, I was riding back from the garage (with no seat) and I tried climbing the stairs on that bridge that goes over storrow... It's soo much easier (even though the X-vert is a crappy ass fork). Why didn't I think of this full suspension thing sooner?

Quadari

Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
Washington, DC
If it makes you feel any better, I still can't jump.
And if it makes you feel any better, I still can't do either! ;)
I can crash though, that I can do.

Anyway, the bike looks smooth. Can't wait to see it in person.

On another, unrelated topic: What do you guys think of HUMBA T-shirts. I doubt that we could get them made by Sat. but it would be sweet if we all had matching shirts. We would look like a team. :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
On another, unrelated topic: What do you guys think of HUMBA T-shirts. I doubt that we could get them made by Sat. but it would be sweet if we all had matching shirts. We would look like a team. :D
Hmm, that's a good idea. One of you (probably you, Ari, since Keith is oversized :eek: :D ) can borrow my extra Ridemonkey t-shirt so that we can have some sort of uniform at Springfest.

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
for a single use t-shirt that would look pretty cool, you could just buy a few tees that are the same color, Make a stencil that says HUMBA, and spraypaint the shirts. I have a friend who has a shirt with the WB Mason head on it that was done this way, and it looks pretty good.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Guys,

If we're doing this thing on saturday we should probably start sending emails around letting people know.

Just a reminder.

Ari
k, I'll spam hro-open. :D

BostonBullit

Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Medway, MA
Hey Toshi,

what's the current status over at the Fells? I don't ride there much anymore but have been thinking of hitting it on the hardtail after work during the week. Last season it was falling apart cause the MDC stopped NEMBA from doing loop maint :rolleyes:

did you guys ride the "authorized" section or another loc?

BostonBullit

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by BostonBullit
Hey Toshi,

what's the current status over at the Fells? I don't ride there much anymore but have been thinking of hitting it on the hardtail after work during the week. Last season it was falling apart cause the MDC stopped NEMBA from doing loop maint :rolleyes:

did you guys ride the "authorized" section or another loc?

BostonBullit
Sorry about not responding to this -- the email notification never went out? Anyways, the trail condition at the Fells was pretty good. Mud wasn't a problem either on either of the rides, and the brush was kept in check. Some of the logs used to mark the trail's path were haphazardly placed, however.

BostonBullit

Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Medway, MA
Hey Toshi, where can I get one of those cool orange chains? are they only available on Huffys? :D

rode over to the fells on the hardtail last sat to check things out, the loop definately needs some TLC :(

BostonBullit

Quadari

Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
Washington, DC
Toshi--

I forgot to ask you, what is that last picture on the Springfest page of? The one that's a bunch of papers standing up with a stapler next to it.

Ari

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Toshi--

I forgot to ask you, what is that last picture on the Springfest page of? The one that's a bunch of papers standing up with a stapler next to it.

Ari
:D it's the stack of handouts that we didn't hand out.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Me neither. I just rechecked the box, tho, so maybe they'll start up again?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I just scored myself a brand new bomber Atom-Race 100 with the 170-205lb spring upgrade for $350 plus those mech disks. looks like that X-vert's lifespan is going to get cut a little short.
Sweet. That's the coil one, no? You're treading on freeride territory with those 4 inches front and rear now... :eek: :D

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by Toshi

Sweet. That's the coil one, no?
A. It is the coil one (you just can't beat the coil oil feel, and it got way better reviews than the X-fly for a weight of only .2 lbs more

You're treading on freeride territory with those 4 inches front and rear now... :eek: :D
Someday I'm going to grow some balls, and when I do I want to have that nice 4" cushion to keep them from getting crushed by my top tube when I miss my seat and land spread eagled on my bike

Quadari

Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
Washington, DC
I just scored myself a brand new bomber Atom-Race 100 with the 170-205lb spring upgrade for $350 plus those mech disks. looks like that X-vert's lifespan is going to get cut a little short.
Pictures! We want pictures!
:p

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by Toshi

Yeah, Keith, where are the pictures?

Off-topic, but here are my catches from last night. I'm still quite hungover.

http://roam147-156.student.harvard.edu/images/hro concert 5:3:2002/
If you want pictures, go to 'zoke website. The guy is ordering me a fork and selling it to me below cost for the trade with the brakes.

and you're not online yet so i couldn't see the pics, but I will soon enough.

BTW, are you going to ride today???? You KNOW you want to.