Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So... about that Volvo of mine:

I called Denver 311 for the umpteenth time, hoping to find that the registration paperwork had been processed. Well, it finally has. But it's incorrect and was rejected back to the dealer as of Aug 30--I swear I called on the 31st to check as well but whatever.

List of things missing from my chat with the DMV rep:

Application for title: incorrect
MSO/title: buyer name incorrect
Odometer for retail: missing
Check for sales taxes, title, and lien fee missing (should be a check written from the dealer)
Security agreement: missing
It'll be a week from now before the DMV gets (supposedly, for real this time!) correct documents from the dealer. It'll be another month from then before those documents are processed. We're talking mid-October here.

Time to contact both the dealer and Volvo Car USA once again.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
On a random note, I got a quote from JetSuites to see how much chartering a 4 passenger private jet to fly to Seattle would be. Would it really be that much more than flying domestic first class?

The answer to that would be a resounding yes:

4 tickets to Seattle on Delta in first class as recently bought at about 7 weeks out from travel date: just a hair under $2,700, with $900 of that offset by credit card points. Certainly a luxury but one that makes life better for those few hours. I've rationalized it. This includes the usual headaches of airport or off-airport parking, TSA, baggage claim, etc. DEN-SEA-DEN roundtrip.

4 seats on a 4 seat private jet, an Embraer Phenom 100 (which does look nice). Denver-Centennial (APA) to Boeing Field (BFI) one way with a fuel stop en route, no less, would be $12,980.

Yeah, that's an order of magnitude more expensive.

:nononocat.gif:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
On a random note, I got a quote from JetSuites to see how much chartering a 4 passenger private jet to fly to Seattle would be. Would it really be that much more than flying domestic first class?

4 tickets to Seattle on Delta in first class as recently bought at about 7 weeks out from travel date: just a hair under $2,700, with $900 of that offset by credit card points. Certainly a luxury but one that makes life better for those few hours. I've rationalized it. This includes the usual headaches of airport or off-airport parking, TSA, baggage claim, etc. DEN-SEA-DEN roundtrip.

4 seats on a 4 seat private jet, an Embraer Phenom 100 (which does look nice). Denver-Centennial (APA) to Boeing Field (BFI) one way with a fuel stop en route, no less, would be $12,980.

"nonocat.gif":

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Me to Volvo Car USA:

>>>>>

I have an update on my troubles with getting this XC40 registered:

The paperwork received by the dealer on 8/9/18 (again for a vehicle leased nominally on 5/9/18) was processed by the Denver County DMV on 8/30/18. It was rejected on that day because it is incomplete and incorrect. This is my transcription of the issues from speaking with them on the phone: they said that getting it emailed would not be possible from them. The list, as I heard it:

1) Incorrectly filled out Application for Title.
2) Buyer name on MSO incorrect.
3) Missing Odometer for Retail statement.
4) Missing check for sales taxes, title, and lien fee. I clarified with the DMV rep that this should be from the dealer with the registration paperwork, not from me at time of registration, and he clarified that yes, this should be from the dealer.
5) Missing Security Agreement.

This will likely take the dealer another week to send to the dealer, assuming they are competent enough to get it right this time after having screwed it up multiple times before. So let's say it gets to the dealer on 9/13/18. Then the DMV will take another near-month to process it. Now we're into the second week of October.

I was able to get another 30 day temporary tag extension for the XC40 as a result of the dealer's sending in the paperwork on 8/9/18. This expires 9/21/18 so doesn't cover this new delay, which again will only mark the end of it if the dealer did it correctly. I have no faith that they'll do it right this time.

I would like one of two things to happen:

1) Volvo Car USA or the dealer, don't care which, providing me a rental equivalent SUV from 9/21/18 until the date that I can actually register it. This may be October but may well be later if they screw it up again. I don't want to pay for this myself and be reimbursed 8 weeks later, in particular.

2) Volvo Car USA, VCFS, or the dealer, don't care which, buying out my lease and taking this vehicle off my hands. I've wasted many hours of my life on this already. It's a nice vehicle but not worth this.

Please escalate this to someone who can provide one of these remedies. This is ridiculous--I think any reasonable observer would agree with me--and is entirely not my fault as all of this incorrect paperwork was and remains the dealer's responsibility in Colorado.

-[me], a not very happy lessee

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Possibility for me down the line (not coming out until 2020, which probably means 2021, which would be when this Volvo lease is done with if they can ever get the paperwork straight):

Mercedes-Benz EQC400.

http://www.thedrive.com/news/23340/2020-mercedes-benz-eqc-daimlers-electric-crossover-contender

402 hp, 564 lb-ft driving all four wheels. 80 kWh. 110 kW quick charging.

A face only its mother could love, though...

(and who knows if it'll have an available 2" hitch! :D)

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Me to Volvo Car USA:

>>>>>

The paperwork received by the dealer on 8/9/18 (again for a vehicle leased nominally on 5/9/18) was processed by the Denver County DMV on 8/30/18. It was rejected on that day because it is incomplete and incorrect. This is my transcription of the issues from speaking with them on the phone: they said that getting it emailed would not be possible from them. The list, as I heard it:

4) Missing check for sales taxes, title, and lien fee. I clarified with the DMV rep that this should be from the dealer with the registration paperwork, not from me at time of registration, and he clarified that yes, this should be from the dealer.

This will likely take the dealer another week to send to the dealer, assuming they are competent enough to get it right this time after having screwed it up multiple times before. So let's say it gets to the dealer on 9/13/18. Then the DMV will take another near-month to process it. Now we're into the second week of October.

I was able to get another 30 day temporary tag extension for the XC40 as a result of the dealer's sending in the paperwork on 8/9/18. This expires 9/21/18 so doesn't cover this new delay, which again will only mark the end of it if the dealer did it correctly. I have no faith that they'll do it right this time.

1) Volvo Car USA or the dealer, don't care which, providing me a rental equivalent SUV from 9/21/18 until the date that I can actually register it. This may be October but may well be later if they screw it up again. I don't want to pay for this myself and be reimbursed 8 weeks later, in particular.

2) Volvo Car USA, VCFS, or the dealer, don't care which, buying out my lease and taking this vehicle off my hands. I've wasted many hours of my life on this already. It's a nice vehicle but not worth this.

Please escalate this to someone who can provide one of these remedies. This is ridiculous--I think any reasonable observer would agree with me--and is entirely not my fault as all of this incorrect paperwork was and remains the dealer's responsibility in Colorado.

You need jdcamb to send some guys from the neighborhood to make this car go away.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Possibility for me down the line (not coming out until 2020, which probably means 2021, which would be when this Volvo lease is done with if they can ever get the paperwork straight):

Mercedes-Benz EQC400.

http://www.thedrive.com/news/23340/2020-mercedes-benz-eqc-daimlers-electric-crossover-contender

402 hp, 564 lb-ft driving all four wheels. 80 kWh. 110 kW quick charging.

A face only its mother could love, though...

(and who knows if it'll have an available 2" hitch! :D)
Its sold out already. :D
Daimler is a very funny company when it comes to pre-sellling

Negotiations for new products usually go like this.

Mr Daimler: "How many unit will you like to buy?"... "
Alexis: "How much are they?"
Mr Daimler: "We dont know yet"
Alexis: What are the detailed specs? What options are available?, when will they be shipped?
Mr. Daimler: "We cannot discuss that now.... so, how many will you like?".
Alexis: "So, I dont know how much it will cost, not even a ballpark, nor what options can I get for my market, nor a precise delivery date.. but I have to confirm a purchase right now".
Mr Daimler "Yes, please. Chile has already placed an order for 800, Colombia placed an order for 400, if you dont place an order now; we will sell the entire first year of allocations to other markets and cannot confirm any allocations until the year after".
Alexis: "Sign me up for 300".

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru

monocle and top hat problems.
sound pretty reasonable. Just landing/take off fees should run in the $500 for both ends. Crew alone should be another $2k per day.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Me to Volvo Car USA:

>>>>>

:popcorn:
This isn't getting solved until you lawyer up, or the car "accidentally" catches fire while parked outside..

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
:popcorn:
This isn't getting solved until you lawyer up, or the car "accidentally" catches fire while parked outside..
Received half an hour ago:

Hi [me],

We updated upper management as well as the dealership with the latest news. As soon as we hear anything, we will for sure let you know.

Med vänliga hälsningar!

Yours Sincerely,

[Volvo rep]
Volvo Car USA

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
lol, this is thread is rapidly approaching comedians-in-cars-getting-coffee levels of lack of self-awareness.
I don't understand this, both from lack of self-awareness and because I haven't watched Seinfeld do anything, well, ever.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I don't understand this, both from lack of self-awareness and because I haven't watched Seinfeld do anything, well, ever.
CCGC is a fun show. Some of the navel gazing is profound, yet funny; like the episode with dave chapelle.
Its something I´d recommend to watch.

Thing is, you cannot help but noticing the barter is usually that of 2 guys worth 9 digits, riding 7 digit cars for fun on a weekday, having breakfast past 10am; completely unaware of their non-fabricated disconnect from the "real" world".

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I just made a purchase without overanalyzing it even a tiny bit!

:D

27.5 x 2.8" Maxxis Minion DHR II Plus, Exo, 3C Maxx Terra. It'll replace a nearly worn out same-size Maxxis Rekon on the rear of the Shuttle. All the torques have caused some knob wear, and that Rekon didn't start out with that much knob height to begin anyway.

This will help me maintain my e-bike KOM dominance, at least until that truly fast dude jumps in.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Relevant: @AngryMetalsmith predicted that my fatness would increase after e-bike procurage. On the contrary, I can report that I am neither more or less fat now than before getting the Shuttle.

(And, of course, my enjoyment per hour on the bike has gone up. More downhill, less grinding uphill. Yes, please!)

That said, on Saturday morning it'll be both @stoney and me on regular bikes, grinding uphill and reveling in our fat old man-ness.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Relevant: @AngryMetalsmith predicted that my fatness would increase after e-bike procurage. On the contrary, I can report that I am neither more or less fat now than before getting the Shuttle.

(And, of course, my enjoyment per hour on the bike has gone up. More downhill, less grinding uphill. Yes, please!)

That said, on Saturday morning it'll be both @stoney and me on regular bikes, grinding uphill and reveling in our fat old man-ness.
Are you going by the scale or body fat percentage ? I'd be willing to bet that with less pedaling you have probably gained a bit of fat while your muscles atrophy from reduced use.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Are you going by the scale or body fat percentage ? I'd be willing to bet that with less pedaling you have probably gained a bit of fat while your muscles atrophy from reduced use.
I would venture that I’m within measurement error the same fatness regardless of measurement modality. I’m riding more in absolute terms, just not spending as much time on the climbs.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Latest, from me to Volvo Car USA:

I spoke with the dealership yesterday and today. As of yesterday they didn't believe that the paperwork had been rejected. As of today they believe it because they received the rejected paperwork themselves from the DMV.

Their current position is that the paperwork actually was correct and the DMV rejected it in error. They have proposed no resolution other than them sending it back to the DMV. This will result in me not being able to drive the XC40 from Sept 21 until whenever the DMV rejects it again, which will likely be mid October, and then we'll be in the exact same place here.

As before, I suggest one of two resolutions that would be fair to me, as again NONE OF THIS IS MY FAULT as the dealer was and remains responsible for getting this paperwork correct and to the DMV. This should have been done by them in May, and if they screwed it up, fixed in June. It's September. From my email last week, my two proposed resolutions:

I think I have been very reasonable throughout this whole ridiculous process, and the dealer is not being responsive. Again, please escalate this to someone who can fix this--get me in a Volvo loaner, get me out of this lease, anything.

-[me]

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hi [me],

I apologize for not responding sooner. I was out of the office for the past few days. We reached out to upper management to see what can be done. As soon as we have more information, we will surely share those details with you.

Med vänliga hälsningar!

Yours Sincerely,

[volvo rep]
Volvo Car USA
Meanwhile no word from the dealer, of course.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I have a 30% code for up to 5 units of DPS Phantom 2.0. Anyone want in? @Full Trucker @SkaredShtles . I'm assuming Nick doesn't as he still hasn't used the (slower to cure) Phantom 1.0 yet from last year.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I have a 30% code for up to 5 units of DPS Phantom 2.0. Anyone want in? @Full Trucker @SkaredShtles . I'm assuming Nick doesn't as he still hasn't used the (slower to cure) Phantom 1.0 yet from last year.
Like @Nick I also "still haven't used the (slower to cure) Phantom 1.0"... oh wait. Did he actually get the Phantom but hasn't used it? Gotcha. Yeah... I haven't used it because I didn't buy it. Much like I probably won't buy Phantom 2.0. Though for $70 (the price of 2 tunes) maybe it's worth a try? Dunno.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Yeah, I got a 3 pack of 1.0 through Kickstarter and one of them is in Nick's garage, still. I've been happy with the 1.0 performance after the initial sticky crap wore off on the first few runs.