Quantcast

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Model 3 delivery scheduled. Saturday, 4-6 PM window, at my house.

Interesting way to buy a car, this. Not sure if my financial ducks will be in a row to be able to trade in the Volvo at that time and just be done with it or if I'll have to deal with it the next week in a separate transaction.
Didnt you just buy a Volvo 3 days ago?

Thats a 4-hand massage with happy ending stimulus to the economy, right there.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Didnt you just buy a Volvo 3 days ago?

Thats a 4-hand massage with happy ending stimulus to the economy, right there.
May 2018. It just took until 3 days ago to register the damn thing. :D

I decided I wasn't going to let sunk cost bias influence my decision. I wanted to give Tesla a whirl so I'm doin' it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I don't have facebook. Can you post it here or on pb too?
:stupid:

Ill pass it along though.
No Moab? No Fruita? No Crusty Butt? No Colorado Trail??

Or maybe just rent for such excursions?
PB for your biggest audience, Craigslist and Nextdoor for more local exposure.
I’ll pass it along if I hear of anyone looking for such a bicycle, in particular.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Santa-Cruz-5010-CC-X01-with-carbon-wheels/113492144822

To eBay it goes. $2k starting bid, local pickup or $150 shipping. Everything! Must! Go!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So I couldn't swing trading in the Volvo simultaneously with buying the Model 3. That would have been nice for symmetry but just wasn't in the cards given that I keep minimal cash on hand and that I need to close on this before the new year due to the tax credit halving.

Still should be able to get the Volvo done next week. I put in a few minutes ago for a loan through DCU to pay off the Volvo lease, and I'll deliberately keep enough cash on hand to make up the difference between that loan's payoff amount and what I anticipate CarMax offering me (likely with the 18"s and Nokians on it, getting some pittance of value for the expensive hitch).

Then it'll be a matter of eBaying off the 20" wheels with their all seasons and somehow getting rid of the nearly new 18" all seasons--Craigslist for that? That'll lessen the pain a bit.

No matter. Gotta stimulate the economy, my bro-dawgs.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Little baby on CPAP. She's robust for 34 weeks at 5 lbs 11 oz. I think she'll be in the NICU a week and a half or two weeks tops before heading home.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
We are done with kids at this point. No more preterm drama! Although Aya is doing awesome in the NICU.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So I couldn't swing trading in the Volvo simultaneously with buying the Model 3. That would have been nice for symmetry but just wasn't in the cards given that I keep minimal cash on hand and that I need to close on this before the new year due to the tax credit halving.
I know you all were on the edge of your seats regarding this, but it turns out that I will be able to ditch the Volvo tomorrow after all!

(For the morbidly curious it's because DCU pre-credits my ACH paycheck deposit a business day early, thus 12/31 posted today, 12/28. Therefore I didn't have to wait for my Betterment taxable account redemption to clear, which I'd thought would be the rate-limiting step.)

This is good for several reasons:

1) Be done with it, save for getting rid of extra tires/wheels.
2) Sales tax credit on the trade-in, which is actually a lot of money.
3) Tesla's $37k trade offer seemed fair, and is probably well north of what CarMax would have offered. (Cars.com has all sorts of used XC40s listed for much higher, even supra-MSRP prices, but who has time for that shit?)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Volvo has ridden off into the sunset. After selling off extra wheels and tires ditching the Volvo will end up costing me circa $3k.

I'm ok with that. Out of that lease, out of the Volvo world, and into something that I hope to like much better.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
First real drive in, mimicking my commute (dropping off my wife there). It's a strange vehicle indeed what with the one screen and all, but overall I liked piloting the shuttlecraft.

It's fast. I do not wish for any more speed for a street vehicle. This is about a 4.3-4.5 second 0-60 vehicle in my configuration (long range dual motor), and the real-world thrust is great given absence of turbo lag/downshifting/all the crap regular cars deal with.

I can see out of it going forward: Front visibility is fantastic straight ahead. Rear package shelf and headrests mean headlights on cars behind you are mostly obscured–not great. Think Prius without that extra tiny window.

I don't feel comfortable with Autosteer yet. Hell, I couldn't figure out how to disengage cruise without tapping the brakes first, and the default (or did I set it?) setting to turn on cruise at 9 mph over the limit made for the car jumping forward. For the record, one taps once or twice up on the shifter stalk to disengage depending on whether Autosteer is on, and one can customize the default cruise speed.

I do not care for one pedal driving, at least at this time. Felt super awkward. Went back to Low regen from Standard.

Not much quieter road noise than the Volvo on most surfaces, although some surfaces were whisper quiet. This might be in part due to tire pressures, 45 psi default iirc (!). I'll drop to 40 psi at some point.

I wish I could turn that giant map off. I ended up calling up settings screens to display over it, and online people suggest pulling up a blank web page in a web browser as a workaround.

I have no idea how I'd call up, say, Amazon Music as a source on my phone. Phone just doesn't seem very integrated vs. the built-in streaming app.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Then it'll be a matter of eBaying off the 20" wheels with their all seasons and somehow getting rid of the nearly new 18" all seasons--Craigslist for that? That'll lessen the pain a bit.
If you know anyone looking for essentially new (20 miles on them?) 235/55R18 tires or a snazzy (but loud!) set of 20" wheels and tires for their Volvo, well now you have a dealer:

https://denver.craigslist.org/wto/d/denver-volvo-20-wheels-with-pirelli/6783288259.html

https://denver.craigslist.org/wto/d/denver-4-new-michelin-primacy-mxmr18/6783281746.html

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

She's purdy. Still haven't come up with a name. AWD is very quick to react to straighten out the car if one gets a bit sideways in the snow. Nokians will be in order for this one as well–winter tires for all of the cars, again and again!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
At the request of a NASIOC-thread-poster, a timeline of the cars of my household in the immediate pre-Denver through Denver eras:

2014:
Me: Transition from being a carless bus/bike commuter to driving a Land Cruiser
Her: Leased Nissan LEAF

2015-2017:
Me: Land Cruiser
Her: LEAF -- turned in at lease end. RAV4 EV as replacement.

August 2017: 2018 Pacifica Hybrid ordered.

October 2017:
Me: Land Cruiser -- sold to former neighbor. Inherits RAV4 EV.
Her: 2018 PacHy arrives.

February 2018:
Me: RAV4 EV -- sold to random forum dude from NY after I verify that its range is inadequate to get me skiing. Rents vehicles and Ubers for a bit, ordering a Fusion Energi, canceling that, ordering an XC40 via Care by Volvo, canceling that.
Her: 2018 PacHy

May 2018:
Me: Leases XC40 T5 R-Design from a dealer in Illinois. Pickup and drive back is uneventful except for the road noise. Little do I know that paperwork would be a royal clusterfuck.
Her: 2018 PacHy

August 2018: 2019 Pacifica Hybrid ordered. Cannot drive Volvo this month due to lack of temp tags permissible. Volvo Car USA ends up covering my rentals/Uber this month.

October 2018: Finally can register the damn Volvo.

November 2018:
Me: XC40
Her: 2018 PacHy -- sold to a random forum member from Arizona who flies up with her mom and one of her four kids. Replaced with the 2019 PacHy that finally came in.

December 2018: Kid 3 arrives at 34 weeks.
Me: XC40 -- traded in on a whim at the very end of the year for a Tesla Model 3, long range dual motor AWD.
Her: 2019 PacHy

Now for projected events: :D

March 2019: Tesla Model Y Performance reservation placed. Torklift 2" hitch for the Model 3 acquired hereabouts for my biking.

August 2019: 2020 Pacifica Hybrid ordered.

October 2019:
Me: Model 3
Her: 2019 PacHy -- sold to random forum person. Replaced by 2020 PacHy.

August 2020: 2021 Pacifica Hybrid ordered.

October 2020:
Me: Model 3
Her: 2020 PacHy -- sold to random forum person. Replaced by 2021 PacHy.

December 2020:
Me: Model 3 -- traded in on a Model Y Performance, which ships just before the end of the year as analysts wring their hands.
Her: 2021 PacHy

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Toshi - Consumer of Doom
I bet my car and your ski habits line up nicely :D (with my ski and your car habits lining up on the other end).

5010 auction ended... and it went for $3050 + $150 shipping.

:notbadobama:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
As opposed to the household here:

1997 - Subaru Outback - purchased (hers)
1999 - Subaru Legacy - puchased (mine)
2004 - Honda Odyssey - purchased (mine?)
2004(5?) - Subaru Legacy - sold
2014 - F150 - purchsed (hers)

All currently owned vehicles have eleventy billion miles on them. Except the F150 - it only has 90K.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
1989 - used Monte Carlo
1995 - used Cougar
1996 - used Thunderbird
2006 - used Audi
2017 - used Audi (current)

Total cost: under $40,000 (plus maintenance and operating costs)

Good deal !
Similar story - the Outback was purchased new by my wife, and the F150 was purchased new as well. Everything else has been used, including every previous vehicle I had owned... which wasn't really that many when I think about it. :)

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Wow @Toshi you move fast but not a bad choice for replacement. My XC60 is a company car with free gas in Europe so I am not getting rid of that for the next three years and use the SUV part a lot.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Taking advantage of a bit of my free 6 months of Supercharging at my local station (2/6 plugs occupied so not a scarce resource here in Denver at this hour), because why not?

Seeing 115-116 kW consistently. 120 kW max nominally at this site so not bad.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Aya is a tiny baby. Were she still in utero today she would be 35w 2d.

Finally held her today. I’d visited her many times and rubbed her baby brain and tummy but hadn’t taken her out of her isolette. Today I brought two of the four grandparents by so we got her out and all held her for some time.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Mariko and Yuna loved skiing this week. We went up for day trips both on Thursday and Friday—a lot of driving but no real traffic, thankfully. No action shots since I had my hands full enough (with the FIL) getting them around the village and to and from their lessons.

As I’m back to work and they’re back to school on Monday mid week is out, but we are going to head up next weekend. I booked us a 2 bedroom condo slopeside for Saturday night, lessons for them on Saturday and Sunday alike, and I verified that my ski bag will fit fine inside the Tesla: one end down in the passenger footwell and the back end between the front and rear seats. It’s not in the way of either of their seats so will work just fine. Boot bags will tuck in nicely in the trunk or even frunk.

Skiing is much more expensive with kids than when it’s just me. For me it’s just the marginal cost of my pass (currently $75 per day and going down with each visit) and the fuel or electricity to get me to the mountain. For them it’s paying for closer parking since they have short legs and little tolerance, expensive lessons, booking condos so that they can sleep in one of the days... but they love to ski and I hope to keep their love of it alive as they get bigger.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I realized that I have neglected to post this gem from Friday. That is, or was, the top level of the village garage at Winter Park.

Iowa plates, I believe.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I thought I was done with the Volvo nightmare (save for selling the extra wheels and tires), but no... The lease was paid off (by Tesla) on 1/8. Volvo Car Financial Services ineptly extracted a lease payment from my bank account on 1/9.

:facepalm:

I'm not surprised. Gah.