Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Picking the lock I use to secure my commuter to the work rack. No, I don’t haul it around! He was able to pick it but it wasn’t easy.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
CN: Tesla minorly fouled up the registration paperwork. Why is this so hard?!

Long version:

[Tesla sales guy]-

A day or two ago I got a FedEx packet from Tesla with registration documents. This reflects a process error in Tesla’s registration process, at least for Denver County residents.

The documents in that packet (MSO, tax statement, title app, bill of sale, etc) are all correct but in Denver they’re supposed to be sent from the dealer directly to the Denver DMV. Next the DMV processes them at some delay and then lets me know via mail that the title paperwork is complete. Finally, I go to the DMV and complete the process. There is no way to shortcut this by bringing in documents myself—that’s not their workflow.

By sending them to me instead of the Denver DMV Tesla has introduced a delay such that I’m probably going to end up spending an extra hour of my life at the DMV in February to get a 30 day temp registration extension. (This is because of the DMV’s processing delay of about a month.)

Please pass this information to whomever should have handled this properly so that they can fix this process for Denver County buyers. If they could arrange for a temp tag extension due to Tesla’s error to save me that trip that’d be great, too. Thanks.

-[me]

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Turns out it was good they sent it to me errantly as they didn’t put the trade on the sales tax sheet. That’s a mistake worth a couple of grand to me.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
CN: Tesla minorly fouled up the registration paperwork. Why is this so hard?!

Long version:

[Tesla sales guy]-

A day or two ago I got a FedEx packet from Tesla with registration documents. This reflects a process error in Tesla’s registration process, at least for Denver County residents.

The documents in that packet (MSO, tax statement, title app, bill of sale, etc) are all correct but in Denver they’re supposed to be sent from the dealer directly to the Denver DMV. Next the DMV processes them at some delay and then lets me know via mail that the title paperwork is complete. Finally, I go to the DMV and complete the process. There is no way to shortcut this by bringing in documents myself—that’s not their workflow.

By sending them to me instead of the Denver DMV Tesla has introduced a delay such that I’m probably going to end up spending an extra hour of my life at the DMV in February to get a 30 day temp registration extension. (This is because of the DMV’s processing delay of about a month.)

Please pass this information to whomever should have handled this properly so that they can fix this process for Denver County buyers. If they could arrange for a temp tag extension due to Tesla’s error to save me that trip that’d be great, too. Thanks.

-[me]

LOL

Thought I would add that I was once able to register and get a title for a car that never had any title or registration, only paperwork was a handwritten receipt. Of course I was told no at first but then I made the fat middle aged DMV lady feel special.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Apologies for the fuzzy phone-not-quite-focused last one. The big camera still has its uses. Mariko turned 6 today, and Aya marked 1 month since popping out prematurely.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Random thoughts from my fruitless visit to the Tesla Store at the Cherry Creek Mall to try to get the registration and tax paperwork sorted out (fruitless because I have to visit the Littleton site M-F instead):

- prodding absent-mindedly at the door handle of a same-color-as-mine Model S across the aisle in the parking garage doesn't do much. Works much better to identify one's own car to get in and drive home.
- the store is confirmed to have a Model 3 Performance in their test drive fleet, which makes sense since wrxlvr on NASIOC tested one locally
- Model S rear-facing jump seats disappeared as an option in December 2018, cannot be ordered secretly "off menu" (as opposed to the Full Self Driving-when-released option, which is still an off menu option), and cannot be retrofitted to models not built with 'em in the first place due to some structural reinforcements required

Final thought from the drive back: Locals will be familiar with the decreasing radius ramp from I-25 N to I-70 E. Last time I drove on it I was using Navigate on Autopilot with Autosteer on, approached it set at 60 mph with it not pacing off any cars ahead, and was intrigued that it modulated speed going through the corner. It went down to 51 then ultimately to 47 mph that time before going back to 60 mph afterwards on the straight. (Driving it at a straight 60 mph probably requires pulling 0.4 g, which is more than most people do but certainly within limits on a dry road.)

This time I wanted to see if this was a Navigate on Autopilot thing (as in anticipating the curves ahead because it knew the route I was going to take) or an Enhanced Autopilot/Autosteer thing itself, so I approached it the same way, 60 mph set with no pacing from a car ahead, and with navigation off but Autosteer on. It slowed down for the corner nearly the same, hitting 50 mph at the slowest point.

From this I conclude that it's a real-time calculation going on, wherein the Autosteer algorithm takes into account the curvature of the road that its sensors has scanned in the upcoming few seconds of travel, and then directs the cruise to back off the speed gradually as it sees fit. This isn't perfect (and was super awkward on switchbacks on Hwy 40 the other day) but shows that the groundwork is being laid for Full Self Driving… some day.

Edit: realized last night the above is incorrect. On yesterday’s experiment in the curve I was on adaptive cruise only, no Autosteer. It modulates speed even in that mode.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
1) Tesla Littleton back office DMV team people do not have good people skills. I’m going to run my experience up the corporate feedback ladder. No updates on what the hell they were doing over a half hour, blunt delivery (“our paperwork is correct”), and one guy even disparaged their Cherry Creek sales staff (“they should stick with selling the cars, they don’t know what they’re talking about here”).

2) The word is that I was charged the correct tax (no trade in credit) because it was a lease buyout, not of a standard lien. This may well be true since lease tax is calculated differently, paid with each payment.

3) They flatly refused to mail in the then-correct paperwork to the DMV. The claim is that it’s because they’re a manufacturer and a dealer. Then it was because I’d need to pay some fees when I picked up my plates so they couldn’t do that. Shit makes no sense—again in Denver I pay and pick up plates a month or so after the DMV processes the dealer-provided paperwork. Which I still have on my passenger seat.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
1) Tesla Littleton back office DMV team people do not have good people skills. I’m going to run my experience up the corporate feedback ladder. No updates on what the hell they were doing over a half hour, blunt delivery (“our paperwork is correct”), and one guy even disparaged their Cherry Creek sales staff (“they should stick with selling the cars, they don’t know what they’re talking about here”).

2) The word is that I was charged the correct tax (no trade in credit) because it was a lease buyout, not of a standard lien. This may well be true since lease tax is calculated differently, paid with each payment.

3) They flatly refused to mail in the then-correct paperwork to the DMV. The claim is that it’s because they’re a manufacturer and a dealer. Then it was because I’d need to pay some fees when I picked up my plates so they couldn’t do that. Shit makes no sense—again in Denver I pay and pick up plates a month or so after the DMV processes the dealer-provided paperwork. Which I still have on my passenger seat.
You can walk into DMV with the paperwork sent to you from the dealer, we did it with our last vehicle.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You can walk into DMV with the paperwork sent to you from the dealer, we did it with our last vehicle.
I dropped it off at FedEx, was told this by my buddy with a 3 in my neighborhood, and then retrieved the paperwork. I’ll try my luck at the DMV Wednesday.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
is having multiple new cars per year-heck, even if you did it only once every three years, really worth the amount of time and mental energy expended (plus the time that you then spend writing it up?) :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
is having multiple new cars per year-heck, even if you did it only once every three years, really worth the amount of time and mental energy expended (plus the time that you then spend writing it up?) :D
:D

If it does not bring joy to my life I will not do it, in proper Marie Kondo style. So far going zoom zoom in the Tesla has brought me joy. It remains to be seen if going zoooooom zoooooom in a faster yet one will bring me proportionally more joy, but I can reliably predict that driving the current Tesla for near-free for 6 months via tax credit chicanery would be a joyful thing.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

(At my favorite Thai place since I had the afternoon off. And by off, I mean driving all over the city in the snow, to Tesla, to pick up the kids, to Thai, to FedEx, to FedEx again.)

Speaking of picking up kids, at the elder kid's school:

First tracks, yo

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Switch heaters are pretty cool. Er, hot. I did not know of their existence prior to yesterday. TMYK

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Yeah, I'd not seen them until last nights news. Surprised there isn't a hobo camp next to them.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
me to Tesla sales guy:

>>>>>

Following up on my emails from Jan 27: I was wrong. The apparent tax mistake was because trade in values on lease buyouts aren't deducted for sales tax purposes, and the registration paperwork sufficed at the DMV just now. I was just confused as this isn't how it's usually done, both per the DMV and per my experience buying or leasing multiple cars in Denver County the past few years. But now I know.

In a different topic, I'll likely be contacting you in May to arrange for a 3 Performance test drive and to run some numbers about trading in/up at that time for a before-July 1 delivery. Thanks.

-[me]

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

I have seen the future. And it is slow.

10 person autonomous shuttle. 6 seats plus standing room. It always has a human providing oversight and telling it that yes, it can enter the intersection (it decides on its own but waits for confirmation).

I counted three lidar on the front in center and corners, a camera higher on the windscreen, and another sensor pod on the roof (more lidar?). Electric, of course, with lots of gear whine.

18 km/h top speed while I was on it. It runs on a short pretty useless loop around the 61st and Peña RTD station, but it was still a cool experience. I think I’ll bring my kids out to ride on it as they’d love it.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

I have seen the future. And it is slow.

10 person autonomous shuttle. 6 seats plus standing room. It always has a human providing oversight and telling it that yes, it can enter the intersection (it decides on its own but waits for confirmation).

I counted three lidar on the front in center and corners, a camera higher on the windscreen, and another sensor pod on the roof (more lidar?). Electric, of course, with lots of gear whine.

18 km/h top speed while I was on it. It runs on a short pretty useless loop around the 61st and Peña RTD station, but it was still a cool experience. I think I’ll bring my kids out to ride on it as they’d love it.
I thought it lacking a little last night on the news when they said there's a human oversight person.

So it's a slow, small, inattentively driven bus?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I thought it lacking a little last night on the news when they said there's a human oversight person.

So it's a slow, small, inattentively driven bus?
The oversight dude would just click the "play" button to confirm intersections were clear before it'd proceed past a stop sign or turn left across the incoming lane. He said he'd also drive it manually if there were something like a car parked illegally in the way in the lane where it was supposed to go. Otherwise he was just there to make sure it didn't go Hal 9000 on us--big stop button on his wired "remote".

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So I think I've gotten the wife-bot to drop the private school idea. This is good.

I'm also getting a raise, probably about July. This is also good. Financial ducks in a row and all that, especially with dodging the private school idea.

I also have badgered her into begrudgingly accepting me trading in for a 3 Performance… with the conditions that I don't mention doing so to the kids, get the same interior and exterior colors so that they might not notice, and do the delivery at Tesla's site instead of at home where it's more of a spectacle for them. This is very good.

As long as I get a trade offer from Tesla of over $48k–which is very likely given its particular specs even with the usual low-balling that dealers/manufacturers do–there should be no obstacles in my path, if I like going zooooom zoooooooom when I test it.

But this needs to wait until after snow tire season is over, and after I get my tax refund(s) back and pay down the PacHy and Tesla loans with half of the proceeds. May is realistic to get the ball rolling, as per my email to the Tesla dude earlier today.

Were I to do this I think I'd spring for the off menu Full Self Driving package. It may well be held up in regulatory limbo for a long time yet, but it'd be at a discount relative to buying it later (and can be rolled into the financing), and would guarantee me the fancy new neural network processors once released:

https://electrek.co/2019/01/04/tesla-leaks-hardware-3-self-driving-computer/

Update: upon further thought not going to spring for Full Self Driving. I may well not have this car when it’s finally released, plus I am not convinced the no-LIDAR approach will pay off.

I had about three instances where Autosteer freaked out on my drive to/from Winter Park today, not to mention that it was still no good on snow covered roads and tight switchbacks. If Elon thinks Navigate on Autopilot is sufficient for the FSD claim then that’s a big nope to buying that level of performance in all scenarios.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
No snow recently but a free day, so Winter Park it’ll be tomorrow. I’ll sleep in, get there when I get there, carve some turns on my Mantras, and maybe drop off my Moments at evo for some DPS Phantom 2.0 goodness on the way back home. And Thai. Must have Thai.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
December 2018: Kid 3 arrives at 34 weeks.
Me: XC40 -- traded in on a whim at the very end of the year for a Tesla Model 3, long range dual motor AWD.
Her: 2019 PacHy

Now for projected events: :D

March 2019: Tesla Model Y Performance reservation placed. Torklift 2" hitch for the Model 3 acquired hereabouts for my biking.

August 2019: 2020 Pacifica Hybrid ordered.

October 2019:
Me: Model 3
Her: 2019 PacHy -- sold to random forum person. Replaced by 2020 PacHy.

August 2020: 2021 Pacifica Hybrid ordered.

October 2020:
Me: Model 3
Her: 2020 PacHy -- sold to random forum person. Replaced by 2021 PacHy.

December 2020:
Me: Model 3 -- traded in on a Model Y Performance, which ships just before the end of the year as analysts wring their hands.
Her: 2021 PacHy
An updated projected timeline with a bit more sanity injected after some brief research showed getting ~$36k for the current 2019 PacHy would be tough due to Cali dealers discounting them new. Too close to effective new price now to be attractive, and that's the price point I'd want to do the swaperoo again.

March 2019:
Model Y unveil. Unless something jaw dropping (or 3 rows with clever packaging–that'd do it for me), no change.

May 2019:
Test drive Model 3 Performance. Enjoy going zooom zoooooom. Get reasonable trade-in quote for M3D LR in garage, arrange for June 2019 handover.

(Meanwhile do nothing with the wife's minivan, so as to appease her… unless the 2020 has a larger battery. The 2017-2019 has a 16 kWh nominal, ~12 kWh effective pack.)

Likely 2021 or so given the history of these things:
Swap out wife's 2019 PacHy for an all electric, battery electric minivan. Redo furnace in house to run on pent-up smugness instead of natural gas as current.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Likely 2021 or so given the history of these things:
Swap out wife's 2019 PacHy for an all electric, battery electric minivan. Redo furnace in house to run on pent-up smugness instead of natural gas as current.
This begs the question: What electric minivan are you referring to? (It sure isn't a Model X. That thing isn't practical with the swoopiness, is hella ugly, and is unreasonably priced. Big nope.)

3 main contenders that I can think of today in the 6+ person BEV space:

Chrysler Portal. Super weird as a concept, clearly. Claimed 2020. US market likely.

Mercedes-Benz EQV. First image is a rendering merging the EQC's front end with the V Class, more or less. Much less weird. Claimed 2022 or before–unclear if US market.

VW I.D. Buzz. Claimed 2022. US market likely.

My thoughts on these:

- lots happening around 2022 if release dates don't slip
- I like the open concept interiors. Lots of thoughts in these with seats and consoles on tracks, plus seats that swivel.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The 4 sliding doors are BRILLIANT. Probably will be plagued with problems (because Chrysler) - but the idea is fucking GENIUS.
I'd like sliding doors on all the things

But yes, 2 powered, hands-free sliders would be awesome.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I'd like sliding doors on all the things
Srsly - sliding doors are WAY more convenient than swing-doors. Probably significantly more expensive from a mfg'ring/design point of view, though?

But yes, 2 powered, hands-free sliders would be awesome.
Personal preference would be all manual sliders (for reliability), but that's not really the way the world is going... :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I bought positions in cryptocurrency at the end of June 2017. I liquidated my positions at the beginning of August 2018, locking in the gains as long term.

Over those 13 months I saw a pre-tax return of 93%.

:notbadobama:

(I'm glad I got out when I did, too!)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Wife wanted family photos so I bust out the tripod and remote shutter release and did them.