Quantcast

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Those aren't that dissimilar to my Wrenegade 108. If you can fit your dainty hoof in my bindings you're welcome to take them for a test day.

There is no one ski to rule all conditions. I know SS disagrees, that's fine. Everything is a compromise to something else.

The hot buzz at the moment is the nordica enforcer 104 free. I may grab a pair of those on Spring hook up for no good reason at all.

I have a brand new pair of the ski @stoney is on. I think those would be perfect for you! :D

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I don't disagree. I would argue that you can ski pretty much all conditions middlingly on a single pair. :D
From Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English mid‧dling /ˈmɪdlɪŋ/ adjective informal of average size, quality, ability etc a tennis player of middling talent. middling. The principal beneficiaries of these grants were the middling and lesser nobility.

Fair enough, and a vocabulary lesson to boot.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
The 3 row SUV market is depressing. The X doesn’t speak to me, yes, but the Ascent and its ilk really don’t. Their 3rd rows are also way less useful than those of a minivan, even if they are better than that of the Land Cruiser. Access is also worse, mildly tempered by fancy tilt-with-car-seat tricks.

So I have emerged from that thankfully none too deep rabbit hole and instead will order some AutoSocks for the (FWD) PacHy’s Nokians for next ski season. I suppose if I would drive an AWD Sienna that’d solve it, too, but y tho?

(Recall that I got away with the 2 row Volvo then Tesla for this ski season since the wife was first pregnant then staying at home with Thing 3. The whole brood will be traveling come next winter—ski resort of choice has child care starting at 6 months and the wife wants to ski with me once more.)
BMW X7?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Non-electric pricey cars are too rich for my blood. I play with Teslas because tax credits are nice. (And because I like smoothly accelerating vehicles.)
You were just talking about the Lexus above this. I was pretty sure they had planned for the plugin version of the X7 since its on the X5 platform.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You were just talking about the Lexus above this. I was pretty sure they had planned for the plugin version of the X7 since its on the X5 platform.
The Lexus gets a pass because it is a Land Cruiser at heart. (But it does have a terrible 3rd row, and I can still get away with having a vehicle that can't seat everyone for now, since the wife has the minivan.)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Still awaiting Tesla formal appraisal in house. CarMax appraisal tomorrow.
Tesla official appraisal came back and they offered $41k.

Recall that my drop dead number is $48.5k. They did confirm that they'll match CarMax, though. So tomorrow I'll know, both regarding whether a Y is in my medium term future and whether a Performance is in the near term.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Tesla official appraisal came back and they offered $41k.

Recall that my drop dead number is $48.5k. They did confirm that they'll match CarMax, though. So tomorrow I'll know, both regarding whether a Y is in my medium term future and whether a Performance is in the near term.
41k, what did you purchase your tesla for?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
41k, what did you purchase your tesla for?
$60.7k + TTL on full amount - $12.5k between Federal and state tax credits.

Based off of that I figured out how much it'd cost me per month based off my whopping 2.5 months of ownership thus far. :D This includes the use tax implications (trade in credited, paying use tax twice on the depreciation itself):

Trade in value versus cost per month:

48000 -- (491)
48500 -- (275)
49000 -- (59)
49136 break even point
49500 -- 157 of profit per month
50000 -- 373

Thus the lowest that I'd take would be $48.5k, which would work out to $275/mo, cheap for a new, expensive-ish car. If that can't be hit then that's fine. I'll live with 0-60 in a sluggish 4.5 seconds. :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So tomorrow I'll know, both regarding whether a Y is in my medium term future and whether a Performance is in the near term.
If I somehow loathe the Y and don't plan to get it then having done this legwork is also useful because it'd let me sneak in with the pre-reversion-to-old-prices discount on the FSD upgrade:

I'm a skeptic regarding how it'll work in reality, yes, but for an incremental cost of $2k (which includes a hardware upgrade) I'd bite to be a guinea pig with hand still near the wheel.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Model Y unveil tonight. Latest view of it from a teaser video:

https://electrek.co/2019/03/14/tesla-model-y-teaser-shape/

Looks like a small X. Hope for 3 rows is near 0.
Huh. Go figure:

By Fall 2020 there will be no Federal tax credit left for Tesla. ($3750 through June 30, 2019, $1875 from July 1, 2019 through Dec 31, 2019.) There still would be $4k Colorado, though.

I shall acquire a Y Performance, yes.

Update: 7 seat interior shipping in 2021. So lower CO tax credit. I may have a 3 for over 2 years! Heaven forbid.

I'm thinking blue for the Y…

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
And CarMax came back with $42k. So that’s that. Will order FSD for this 3 when I get home at the discounted price since I’ll have this until early 2021, in theory.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Elided. I did screw up the math. Essentially a wash between 529 contributions and paying down 3.99% loan.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Mariko has outgrown her 16” bike at last.

Yuna has forgotten how to ride a pedal bike. She still can coast feet up like a champ but forgot how to get her feet on pedals and pedal forward since the summer.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Will order FSD for this 3 when I get home at the discounted price since I’ll have this until early 2021, in theory.
A uncommon argument from me, of a sane plan:

I may keep my Model 3 long term, because that's far cheaper than incurring yet another new vehicle's depreciation and because I think I can make it work with a few tweaks.

(Yes, I can retrieve my Model Y pre-order deposit without a penalty. That's not an issue.)

Things to address on the 3:

1) Free up the passenger seat by getting the skis on the roof, with a Tesla roof rack that works with the fancy glass roof. $600, albeit out of stock now.

2) Buy yet more car seats for the kids such that I can cram all 3 kids in that second row. There are confirmed fits for a bunch of car seats 3 across in the Model 3, so I should be able to figure out something with some trial and error, even with my kids' long torsos that causes them to height-out of their seats rather than exceed the weight limits.

3) Trailer hitch as already planned for my bike rack.

4) Suck it up and deal with crouching under the low roofline to buckle in kids, and similarly just accept that I'll push around snow with the front fascia like a snowplow on heavy days due to the ground clearance. So be it.

If I can arrive at a 3 across car seat setup that works with Aya rear-facing then we could take the Model 3 for skiing daytrips even this 2019-2020 winter, so wouldn't have to chance it with the FWD minivan + winter tires + Auto Socks after all.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
good. because while the aesthetics of the model 3 and S are tolerable, the model x and now the y are APPALLING. and yes, the curator says aesthetics matter.
The X is gross. I thought the Y was actually kind of cute in a Cars type way.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
2) Buy yet more car seats for the kids such that I can cram all 3 kids in that second row. There are confirmed fits for a bunch of car seats 3 across in the Model 3, so I should be able to figure out something with some trial and error, even with my kids' long torsos that causes them to height-out of their seats rather than exceed the weight limits.
Heed this line as a warning for non-carseat-daddyblogging types to tune out.

Bored and still with me? I need several things from car seats for this application.

1) Narrow is a must. Confirmed for the Model 3 and a generic list are a good starting point.

2) Must fit loooooooong babies. Thing 1 is too long of torso for the Diono Radian and basically anything except a few Britax models inclusive of her current Advocate Clicktight. Things 2 and 3 will likely get there, too.

Longness is an issue for front-facing car seats because the shoulder harness has to be at or above the level of the kids' shoulders, and the harnesses only go so high. (When rear-facing the opposite is true: the harness must be below the kids' shoulders. Thus no such issues rear facing, only the height/weight limits.)

So with this background, some concrete 3-wide-compatible seat choices for Things 1, 2, and 3:

Thing 3 (1 year old as of winter 2019-2020): Clek Fllo, rear facing. This one is the easy choice. If she somehow still fits in her current Chicco Keyfit 30 (probably too long by then) then that'd work fine, too.

Thing 2 (4.75 years old as of winter 2019-2020): Also a Clek Fllo. If the 17" shoulder height isn't a dealbreaker she could go front-facing, else she could actually revert to rear-facing in it as then shoulder height for the harness ceases to be an issue (and she'll be under the <44", <50 lb limits for rear-facing).

Thing 1 (7 years old as of winter 2019-2020): She is too tall and long of torso for a Clek Fllo/Foonf or Radian front facing. She needs at least 18" shoulder height now and more in a year. Context is her current 20.5" shoulder height Britax Pinnacle Clicktight that we have.

I guess I could try to literally cram the Pinnacle in with the other two spots taken up by narrow seats. Maybe that'd work.

Alternately I could try a Britax that's narrower. The Pinnacle is 22.5" width with those crazy side impact wings, which is very wide indeed. (17" is a narrow seat, like the Clek Foonf and Fllo.) The Frontier Clicktight is 19" wide with a 20" shoulder height, and the Pioneer is 19" wide with a 20.5" shoulder height.

Otherwise she'll be in narrow-booster land, like the Clek Oobr or the Maxi-Cosi Rodiflex. Both are similar in that they max out at 21" belt guide height, which is the analogous measurement to front facing harness seats' shoulder height. The Clek Oobr converts to a backless booster, which would have no height limits, though, so a point to it.

Cliffs Notes: Car seats are super boring, my babies are looooong babies, and I will be likely dropping yet another grand on more car seats because apparently one cannot just buy a mere dozen and be done with it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
1) Free up the passenger seat by getting the skis on the roof, with a Tesla roof rack that works with the fancy glass roof. $600, albeit out of stock now.
The story on the roof rack is that it initially was $450 and sold out "in minutes."

https://electrek.co/2018/11/30/tesla-model-3-roof-rack/

But all is not lost if I can't source such a thing. (Thule doesn't make anything that fits the glass roof so the logical choice is out already.)

+

That'd be a wide variety of Thule hang-down hitch racks (TH912XTR as depicted, TH934XTR, TH956, TH957, TH958, TH9025, TH9026, TH9027, TH9028, TH9028XT, TH9029, TH9029XT, TH9030, TH9030XT, TH9031, and TH9031XT) + the Thule Tram. 6 pairs of skis. Like a boss.

It's even cheaper than the unavailable Tesla roof rack itself (I already have ski mounts for a roof rack), about $535 as of today. I don't like such bike racks for actual bike use--tray racks ftw--but this would work just fine.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
The story on the roof rack is that it initially was $450 and sold out "in minutes."

https://electrek.co/2018/11/30/tesla-model-3-roof-rack/

But all is not lost if I can't source such a thing. (Thule doesn't make anything that fits the glass roof so the logical choice is out already.)

+

That'd be a wide variety of Thule hang-down hitch racks (TH912XTR as depicted, TH934XTR, TH956, TH957, TH958, TH9025, TH9026, TH9027, TH9028, TH9028XT, TH9029, TH9029XT, TH9030, TH9030XT, TH9031, and TH9031XT) + the Thule Tram. 6 pairs of skis. Like a boss.

It's even cheaper than the unavailable Tesla roof rack itself (I already have ski mounts for a roof rack), about $535 as of today. I don't like such bike racks for actual bike use--tray racks ftw--but this would work just fine.
I think you've convinced me to just buy a truck.