Quantcast

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Looking back getting a regular the XC70 with small kids was not ideal vs our BMW X3 loading kids in and out of the X3 was so much easier with the higher car and more head room. I really thought I was a wagon guy but I have to admit now even without small kids the XC60 so much better for me. I also load the bike into the back. What I am saying is get the Y :-)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Looking back getting a regular the XC70 with small kids was not ideal vs our BMW X3 loading kids in and out of the X3 was so much easier with the higher car and more head room. I really thought I was a wagon guy but I have to admit now even without small kids the XC60 so much better for me. I also load the bike into the back. What I am saying is get the Y :-)
The low roofline for loading kids is admittedly a pain.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Yuna went on the lift today in her lesson. She is a champ. Apparently on one lift line her group (of her and her instructor, I think--pseudo-private lesson!) and Mariko's intersected so Mariko actually got to ride up with her once. They've ridden up together with me before, of course, but that was cool that they saw each other during the long day, even if it does mean Mariko was hanging out an awful lot on greens.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
All the postulating about ski rack options may be irrelevant as 3 across car seats in the back of the Tesla might be impossible.

Boosters are out because the seat belt is basically inaccessible when 2 other seats are in place.

The embedded rear buckle is the one that would need to be accessed, and it’s blocked by the other buckle and by the base of the middle seat alike.

There exist narrow non-boosters that are known to fit but they generally max out at 17” or 17.5” max shoulder harness height. That pink seat in the photo is a 17” model and Mariko is right at 17” of today so will outgrow it in a month. That won’t work long term.

There exist seats that go to 20.5”, of course. We have 4 of those. They’re just massive in the model we got, and even the narrower one is still pretty wide. Non-narrow seats demonstrated:

As the rack issue is a pain and this seat issue is a pain (and even if they fit getting them in and buckled would be a pain) I should just cave in and get a Model Y^H^H^H^H take the damn minivan.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
They're you go.
Zoom zoom!!!
ooooo
Got a ZOOMZOOM minivan for you toshi:

FEARSOME DODGE CARAVAN R/T
Minivans are ok without having fake zoom zoom.

And this is where @jstuhlman would bring up the Mercedes R63, which isn't a minivan at all but does have zoom zoom until it pukes its guts out on the highway. (And then there's the Tesla Model X, which has zoom, but is similarly not a minivan and looks like a bloated whale, and is ~3x the effective price of our humble FCA product.)

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Minivans are ok without having fake zoom zoom.

And this is where @jstuhlman would bring up the Mercedes R63, which isn't a minivan at all but does have zoom zoom until it pukes its guts out on the highway. (And then there's the Tesla Model X, which has zoom, but is similarly not a minivan and looks like a bloated whale, and is ~3x the effective price of our humble FCA product.)
plus they don't even make the merc. anymore. and yeah, it was a wagon on steroids. it never puked its guts on the highway, but once we cracked 100K miles it sure did get ///spendy to keep maintained and repaired. the bi-turbo v8 GLS sure looks nice though . . .

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Related gripe: Taking the Pacifica is uninteresting because it just seems so straightforward.

It fits 3 adults and 3 large kid seats without any juggling, it has factory rails and crossbars, I already have ski racks, it already has Nokians, and all I'd need to do would be stash a set of AutoSocks in the back (and probably not even that per @Nick and @SkaredShtles experience).

Where's the fun in that? There's no analysis, no optimization, no fitting of puzzle pieces.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
There's no analysis, no optimization, no fitting of puzzle pieces.
No. You trade all that for mindless, practical reliability.

Get one proper family car that your wife loves and you tolerate.
Get yourself one proper sports car for all the irrational fun one can bring.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
No. You trade all that for mindless, practical reliability.

Get one proper family car that your wife loves and you tolerate.
Get yourself one proper sports car for all the irrational fun one can bring.
The Tesla is actually a pretty good match in all but exhaust note for the 997 GTS...

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15124737/2011-porsche-911-carrera-gts-coupe-test-review/

Porsche: 0-60 in 4.3 with rollout. Highly impractical back seat. Expansive view out the front with no engine up front.

Tesla: 0-60 in 4.5, I believe with no rollout. Sort of practical back seat. Expansive view out the front with only a compact motor tucked away under the frunk.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
ooooo
Got a ZOOMZOOM minivan for you toshi:

FEARSOME DODGE CARAVAN R/T
SEND IT

Kind of ontopic, any egg shaped "crossover" sucks and looks horrible. Looking at you Model X, Mercedes .{3} coupe, BMW X[1-9]{1} coupe, some BMW GT models etc etc. EW burn them with fire at the mall etc.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Related gripe: Taking the Pacifica is uninteresting because it just seems so straightforward.

It fits 3 adults and 3 large kid seats without any juggling, it has factory rails and crossbars, I already have ski racks, it already has Nokians, and all I'd need to do would be stash a set of AutoSocks in the back (and probably not even that per @Nick and @SkaredShtles experience).

Where's the fun in that? There's no analysis, no optimization, no fitting of puzzle pieces.
QFT.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
But trucks do not have the zoom zoooom
The Rivian R1S might work for something practical and very zoom zooomy.

135 kWh variant, please. 3 seconds to 60, 1 m wading depth, and enough range to make a round trip to the ski mountains without recharging en route.

They have apparently bought the Mitsubishi plant in Normal, IL, and claim production of the SUV and truck starting in 2020. I predict $85k before credits for the 135 kWh version. We shall see if this comes to fruition.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
125K is my guess, looks eggspensive
They are saying $72.5k before credits for the 105 kWh version.

On a related note I emailed my dentist former neighbor friend to see if he wants to sell the old Land Cruiser back to me (as a third vehicle on the street). If I didn’t have to daily drive it would be good? Who knows if he still has it or wants to sell, though.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Ordered a dentisté-spec bike for Mariko. I figure since we have 3 kids it’ll get a lot of use along the years…

6E9A9876-3107-4884-945C-0D51A73393B4.jpeg

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
On a related note I emailed my dentist former neighbor friend to see if he wants to sell the old Land Cruiser back to me (as a third vehicle on the street). If I didn’t have to daily drive it would be good? Who knows if he still has it or wants to sell, though.
And the reply…

Yes, I’d consider selling the cruiser back (I’m kinda looking into a newer one). I’ve got it up to 160k miles but it runs all the same. What would you offer?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I sold it to him with 132k miles for $21k with two sets of wheels, two years ago, iirc. I proposed $18.5k with the same two sets of wheels: KBB suggests the miles are worth $1,800 or so in depreciation plus it’s two years older relative to the current model year.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Mariko kid drew a picture in tribute of going zoom zooooom. On a little trip to get breakfast and go to the car wash this morning I worked in zoom zooming 15 times by the kids’ count.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I sold it to him with 132k miles for $21k with two sets of wheels, two years ago, iirc. I proposed $18.5k with the same two sets of wheels: KBB suggests the miles are worth $1,800 or so in depreciation plus it’s two years older relative to the current model year.
$18.5k offer accepted. Time to make this happen.

Update: Due to my former neighbor’s timeline (up in Snowmass through Wednesday) this won’t happen until next weekend or a few days yet past that. But it’s happening.

Last edited: