Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I know we talked about it when we had lunch last doc, but at least as far as published numbers by chevy, plugging a bolt into a light pole at work for 10 hours would MORE than cover the distance of my commute to/from work. I assume the numbers on a leaf would be similar. Making mexico the airport support the cost of my driving has a lot of apeal. :D
Nice.

Yeah, a Bolt sized car should do maybe 300 Wh/mi. You can easily get 1 kW via 120V, so a touch over 3 miles of range per hour of charging.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Or am I assuming too much on the part of the 6 year old?
You are assuming too much.

Start somewhere as easy as you can and work up when she's comfortable. Better that than the first experience being a bad one.

The smallest little downslope or pile of rocks is scary when starting out.

You can park on the Morrison Rd just west of c-470, ride the bike path into the park and then do the western parts of the Mt Carbon Loop
https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/167268/mt-carbon-loop

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The Italian plug-in hybrid minivan then threw a CEL the day after it came home from the dealer for the above issue.

My ancient WiFi OBDII dongle has apparently ceased to work so I took the van to the local Advanced Auto Parts, which reveals that it threw a U1124 code. A few seconds with Google shows this to likely be the heater for the traction battery.

This will involve me taking the minivan in for a service visit to confirm what I already know from pulling the codes, having them order the part, wait likely weeks for the part, then another day wasted getting it installed.

Good thing she likes the minivan otherwise, when it’s working, and good thing I don’t mind riding my bike and the light rail around time in my time off. It’s also good we’ll have the Land Cruiser back around as below, as a suboptimal but workable people carrier for the wife + 3 kids on school and activity shuttle duties.
I know you all were waiting on the edges of your seats with bated breath, so an update: the Italian PHEV minivan cleared its code magically. (Yes, it was still there after going to the auto parts store to get scanned.)

I will therefore assume it is in perfect working condition and carry on as if this never happened.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I know you all were waiting on the edges of your seats with bated breath, so an update: the Italian PHEV minivan cleared its code magically. (Yes, it was still there after going to the auto parts store to get scanned.)

I will therefore assume it is in perfect working condition and carry on as if this never happened.
Just like an airplane! :thumb:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
2200 lumen light had a dead battery when I pushed the power button. Good thing I brought the 800 lumen backup light.

Turns out only 800 lumens + near-20 mph sustained speeds + off-road commute + skittish night creatures that try to run under my wheels is kind of unnerving.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Wheels retrieved. 3 very nearly fit in the trunk—looked like it fit but wouldn’t latch. 2 in trunk and 2 in front passenger seat worked fine, just with the latter clanking about.

Former neighbor drove the Tesla and dug it. He shall consider likely a Y when the lease on his wife’s XC90 T8 is up.

The same day as when I bought the Land Cruiser back he jetted down to Stevinson Toyota and picked up a new 4Runner. I think it’s TRD Off-Road but not Pro? The one with KDSS instead of the Fox bypass shocks.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
How did it go out there?
She did awesome. Out there for over an hour and a half. Pushed a bit, fell a few times, but she got back up each time.

Note to self: have her pack her Camelbak-clone next time.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Just got the departmental go-ahead for them to buy me a bunch of PC parts... to turn into a computer suitable for neural network research. (This is out of my expiring-July-1st academic funds for this year.)

For the PC nerds: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/toshimasa/saved/FxRNQ7

Highlights would be Z390, i7 9700K, 2080 Ti x 1, 1 TB M.2 SSD and 12 TB rotating platter.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The rail system has long been fascinating to me:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/07/nyregion/rail-freight-nyc.html?action=click&module=News&pgtype=Homepage

Good to see that it'll get more use what with congestion pricing and all.

On the edge of my neighborhood is a bunch of industry. There are rail spurs throughout but I rarely seen trains on them. It'll take some more shifting of the economic calculus before trucks are displaced here.

Kind of hard to see on the satellite view, but all the things with large-radius curves are rail spurs:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7905053,-104.8607351,1877m/data=!3m1!1e3

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Land Cruiser now on a Battery Tender Jr with a 25 foot lead extension, as the not-often-driven Fit was back in New York.

It’s not rated for rain and snow so we shall see if it lasts, burns the house down, or maybe does one then the other?!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The season has apparently come when the wife turns the AC on full time.

61 degrees outside, yes, but no windows open lest the kids be awakened. Our own body heat plus solar gain plus the insulation has led it to be 74 inside now.

Oh well. At least all my electricity is offset by solar anyway.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Heating back on for the rest of the week after today?
She'll probably heat for a few hours, cool the house for a few hours, and repeat on a cycle throughout the day to achieve the OPTIMUM temperature for the baby

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
As part of the steady march of progress the 3 got a new firmware a day or two ago. The headline feature on this one was to enable lane changes without driver confirmation while using Navigate on Autopilot.

This new feature kind of sucks.

It does offer up the lane change, as NoA did pre-update. It then looks like it's going to do the lane change, then pauses its actions while the car seeks driver input with an immediate blue-screen* "apply light force to the steering wheel" prompt.

So instead of confirming the lane change positively with the turn signal or gear lever stalks one confirms that one's alive to the car and then it does its lane change. It's replacing one thing with another that's totally equivalent and less direct of an action.

Do not like. I turned it off already after a few miles of its use.

* There are several degrees of the car prompting one to check in:

1) Silent screen-only "apply light force" message. Background stays black or white depending on dimming settings.

2) Silent screen-only "apply light force" message with pulsating blue screen background behind the speedo section of the iPad screen.

3) Pulsating blue, screen message, and a ding.

4) 3 + red text, and two dings I think.

5) "Take Over Immediately" with a ding, immediate dumping of control to driver, and a big red steering wheel that looks like a uterus. See my video from a few weeks back:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I just spent some time digging through Visual Basic documentation to write a function that'd manually calculate how many days of work one might save before retirement (defined as having a certain amount saved up) if one came across a lump sum of a given amount and invested it.

But then I decided that wasn't a fun project. I had already done the math by hand for one example, curiosity piqued by Westy's "save twice as many days as worked" adage:

Assumptions:

- lump sum of $10k
- 5% interest rate on regular investments and on this lump sum
- $3M desired at 20 years, which implies $90,727.76/year savings rate with no lump sum

Given these assumptions one would be able to retire 41.115 days earlier with that same $3M if the $10k were invested on day 1 instead of spent.

/data of very limited utility

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The season has apparently come when the wife turns the AC on full time.

61 degrees outside, yes, but no windows open lest the kids be awakened. Our own body heat plus solar gain plus the insulation has led it to be 74 inside now.

Oh well. At least all my electricity is offset by solar anyway.
Heating back on for the rest of the week after today?
She'll probably heat for a few hours, cool the house for a few hours, and repeat on a cycle throughout the day to achieve the OPTIMUM temperature for the baby
Apparently it was cold last month. Or warm last year.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
This is the camera perspective I want for my videos!

Just need a professional drone pilot

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Tesla is engaging in more price-change skullduggery. The $35k model has disappeared from the website (in-store or call only), but on the upside will have the pleather interior rather than cloth. It’ll be a software-limited version of the SR+ one: 10% less range on the same physical battery, seat heaters disabled in software, too, and limited features on the big screen.

I don’t really care about that too much as the standard range RWD model was never the one I was after.

What is more directly relevant is that their prices effectively dropped yet more: Autopilot now standard, albeit with the bundled price up $2k. As it was a $3k standalone option after the most recent AP + FSD vs EAP + FSD split that’s a savings. My grey paint also went down in cost from $1,500 to $1k.

Some numbers (assuming grey paint, 18” Aero wheels, black interior):

LR AWD 3 with EAP, as I originally purchased it in December: $60,700 including destination + 8.31% Denver county and city sales tax - $7,500 Federal - $5,000 Colorado == $53,244

Same car but with AP only if one were to purchase it today: $51,700 including destination + 8.31% - $3,750 Fed - $5k CO == $47,246
So $5,998 less net for almost the same car in this scenario. The bought-now car wouldn’t have Navigate on Autopilot, Summon/Advanced Summon, or Autopark.

LR AWD 3 with Full Self Driving bought in December but with FSD added in March while it was on sale during last month’s pricing nonsense: ($60,700 incl. dest. + $2k FSD upgrade) at 8.31% tax - $7,500 Fed - $5k CO == $55,410

Same car with FSD bought today: $56,700 including destination + 8.31% - $3,750 Fed - $5k CO == $52,662
These two cars would be identical, unlike the example above. $2,748 cheaper for the one bought now, but for completeness I should include the time value of $12,500 in one’s pocket a year sooner, which would be $625 at 5%.

I guess there are parallels in the gas world, what with monthly incentives changing and the like. Still a weird experience to see such volatility in Tesla’s pricing over the last few months. Q2 2019 delivery figures will be interesting indeed, as will what shenanigans they try to push deliveries at the end of June prior to the Federal credit being halved one last time.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Tesla is engaging in more price-change skullduggery. The $35k model has disappeared from the website (in-store or call only), but on the upside will have the pleather interior rather than cloth. It’ll be a software-limited version of the SR+ one: 10% less range on the same physical battery, seat heaters disabled in software, too, and limited features on the big screen.

I don’t really care about that too much as the standard range RWD model was never the one I was after.

What is more directly relevant is that their prices effectively dropped yet more: Autopilot now standard, albeit with the bundled price up $2k. As it was a $3k standalone option after the most recent AP + FSD vs EAP + FSD split that’s a savings. My grey paint also went down in cost from $1,500 to $1k.

Some numbers (assuming grey paint, 18” Aero wheels, black interior):

So $5,998 less net for almost the same car in this scenario. The bought-now car wouldn’t have Navigate on Autopilot, Summon/Advanced Summon, or Autopark.

These two cars would be identical, unlike the example above. $2,748 cheaper for the one bought now, but for completeness I should include the time value of $12,500 in one’s pocket a year sooner, which would be $625 at 5%.

I guess there are parallels in the gas world, what with monthly incentives changing and the like. Still a weird experience to see such volatility in Tesla’s pricing over the last few months. Q2 2019 delivery figures will be interesting indeed, as will what shenanigans they try to push deliveries at the end of June prior to the Federal credit being halved one last time.
Was just reading the new press release. $600 a month lease long range AWD :rofl:

Purchase is definitely becoming more attractive though. 40 Grand after incentive for a more attractive color and wheels.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Spotted heading into campus the other day. There are a ton of 3s—that’s not the interesting thing. The 2” hitch is. Someone else had the same idea as me.

(I’m not putting a hitch on the 3 ultimately, though, because Land Cruiser.)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Was just reading the new press release. $600 a month lease long range AWD :rofl:

Purchase is definitely becoming more attractive though. 40 Grand after incentive for a more attractive color and wheels.
That lease price is unfortunately about what it should be based off of my experience with the Volvo’s lease. I wouldn’t be overly disappointed to see $600/mo depreciation all said and done when I’m done with the 3 down the road.

How do you figure $40k? What configuration is that? You’re not adding in their “fuel savings” trickery, right?

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
That lease price is unfortunately about what it should be based off of my experience with the Volvo’s lease. I wouldn’t be overly disappointed to see $600/mo depreciation all said and done when I’m done with the 3 down the road.

How do you figure $40k? What configuration is that? You’re not adding in their “fuel savings” trickery, right?
Long Range AWD, red, with the 19" wheels.

But yes, that's 40k with the baked in "fuel" fuckery, which I consider somewhat fair if plugging it in at work covers my commute, since its like 90% of my driving.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Long Range AWD, red, with the 19" wheels.

But yes, that's 40k with the baked in "fuel" fuckery, which I consider somewhat fair if plugging it in at work covers my commute, since its like 90% of my driving.
Wait until at least end of June. They’ll be desperate to move metal for Q2 financials.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Earliest I buy anything is end of the year.
I will live vicariously through you. Unless there’s a super screaming ex-demo deal. I’ll waste my sales guy’s time in December, although since they’re moving away from commission maybe he will just ignore me. :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
https://electrek.co/2019/04/12/tesla-vehicles-appreciating-assets-self-driving-elon-musk/

Elon has moved to crack from weed, apparently.

My 3 is a great vehicle but decidedly not on the cusp of being an appreciating asset as he claims in this article. April 19 22 will reveal what Tesla has been working on in the autonomy world but we are still years from having one’s Tesla earn money driving passengers around autonomously while one works or sleeps. By that time my 3 will be worth perhaps $20k?

The regulatory and liability issues for the Tesla Network robotaxi scenario are daunting, to understate it, let alone whether that’s feasible safely for Tesla’s non-LIDAR hardware suite.

Last edited: