Quantcast

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
I met my brother in law's sister in law--not sure what that makes us--at my niece's birthday party, and said BIL's-SIL mentioned that her family had been on the road in an RV for a month.

They bought a 1973 (?) GMC RV, the 26' variant. Not sure what floorplan but she has a set of bunks, and several of the 26' floorplans had that.

They'll use it for this several-months trip through the usual National Park type sights and then will sell it for close to what they paid or keep it.

I still am not sold on the RV use case as opposed to paying for hotels given what we like, but her plan seems solid financially. No slides to break, all bugs out of that Toronado drivetrain by now hopefully, and at the bottom of the depreciation curve yet with a resale market because it's a unique thing.

That's an EM-50 Urban Assault Vehicle right there.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Big V8 with a front wheel drive layout, and little stub axles at the rear?

It's actually a brilliant layout for space efficiency. The modern Fiat Ducato/Ram Promaster comes close but isn't 26' of 1970s awesomeness.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001

Why is my baby so cute?

Oh yes, now I remember: She evolved to be cute so that we would take care of her defenseless little baby-body and keep her from getting eaten.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Then a chat with a nutritionist and maybe a referral to my hospital’s bariatric surgery department? We’ll see if the family medicine resident in clinic that I see thinks this is insane or within reason.
Part of getting a bariatric surgery appointment with the surgeon is going to one of their "seminars". These are hour-long things in a conference room in the hospital. I went to one tonight, which was why I was a bit late for the tacos and tequila meetup.

There were about 20 people there. Most were visibly more Jabba the Hut-like than me. One guy looked to be about my age but most were also older as well. None dressed as if from the same socioeconomic class as me, which makes sense since most educated people have the sense to not go and get fat. But not me, alas.

I knew the medical/surgical side of the presentation, which was by one of three surgeons in the group who do such surgeries. They do everything laparoscopic, and the one dude does them robot-assisted laparoscopic to boot. (This is interesting somewhat because they don't have a upper BMI cap for doing things laparoscopic--when I was training the surgeons would draw the line eventually but not these guys. Go figure.) What is offered is sleeve gastrectomy, a pretty standard gastric bypass (again everything laparoscopic +/- robotic), and a pancreaticobiliary-duodenal switch, in order of increasing complexity of the operation.

I'll meet with the surgeon dude on August 6 (as that's when their appointment schedule worked for mine) and discuss things, but from my non-surgeon-but-did-a-surgery-intern-year perspective--noting that my BMI was about 30 when I rotated through bariatric surgery from the other side of the table!--I think the (robot-assisted laparoscopic) gastric bypass would be the choice most likely to stave off future diabetes since I have the body type for metabolic syndrome, cure my (mild) sleep apnea, and cut me down to race weight.

All of these choices require lots of hoops through which one must jump. Most insurers require 6 months of demonstrated weight loss, sticking to a nutritionist's diet, regular meetings, etc. So August 6 is just a stepping off point. But I'm ready to make that step if it's deemed sane by the surgeon on the other side of the table.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Part of getting a bariatric surgery appointment with the surgeon is going to one of their "seminars". These are hour-long things in a conference room in the hospital. I went to one tonight, which was why I was a bit late for the tacos and tequila meetup.

There were about 20 people there. Most were visibly more Jabba the Hut-like than me. One guy looked to be about my age but most were also older as well. None dressed as if from the same socioeconomic class as me, which makes sense since most educated people have the sense to not go and get fat. But not me, alas.

I knew the medical/surgical side of the presentation, which was by one of three surgeons in the group who do such surgeries. They do everything laparoscopic, and the one dude does them robot-assisted laparoscopic to boot. (This is interesting somewhat because they don't have a upper BMI cap for doing things laparoscopic--when I was training the surgeons would draw the line eventually but not these guys. Go figure.) What is offered is sleeve gastrectomy, a pretty standard gastric bypass (again everything laparoscopic +/- robotic), and a pancreaticobiliary-duodenal switch, in order of increasing complexity of the operation.

I'll meet with the surgeon dude on August 6 (as that's when their appointment schedule worked for mine) and discuss things, but from my non-surgeon-but-did-a-surgery-intern-year perspective--noting that my BMI was about 30 when I rotated through bariatric surgery from the other side of the table!--I think the (robot-assisted laparoscopic) gastric bypass would be the choice most likely to stave off future diabetes since I have the body type for metabolic syndrome, cure my (mild) sleep apnea, and cut me down to race weight.

All of these choices require lots of hoops through which one must jump. Most insurers require 6 months of demonstrated weight loss, sticking to a nutritionist's diet, regular meetings, etc. So August 6 is just a stepping off point. But I'm ready to make that step if it's deemed sane by the surgeon on the other side of the table.
I´ve been reading thru Scott Adams recommended books on human irrationality and persuation (derived from the reading on his book on Trump´s win), and they make a lot of sense.
I´m actually convinced humans are largely irrational, and appear to be logic in trivial things and pretty much by coincidence on the important stuff.

They talk about the drivers for weight loss/increase, and the emotional persuation required for any (general) change to take place. Good read, specially for the "logical" kind of thinkers, just on the lulz-basis alone.

Last edited:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
I am torn. Sounds interesting. But Scott Adams is also a psychopath and I don't want to validate anything he touches. :D

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I am torn. Sounds interesting. But Scott Adams is also a psychopath and I don't want to validate anything he touches. :D
He is callous but a very sharp observer of human behaviour.
The best one I´ve read to articulate empirical observations on emotions for "logical" fellas (or at least those convinced they are, like me). This is a dont-kill the messenger kinda POV.
His books are lulzy extracts piling on the works of others (mainly those in his reading list).

Persuation by Caldini, thinking fast and slow by Kahneman, Impossible to ignore by Simon and what every body is saying by Navarro (I´ve skimmed all and read a few, but no time to read all them throughly yet) are the most serious-sounding ones.
Those are absolutely worth a reading. I´d place them on the level of Kalanithis´ book, for content (dare I say wisdom?) and trascendence (for my perspective) of all books I´ve read in the past 5 years.

Last edited:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
I had a physician directed weight loss appointment today. Ok, NP-directed. Close enough.

I wasn’t super impressed with their offerings.

Diet: usual platitudes except they advocate moderate protein, low carbs, low fat. So just low calorie all around!

They have several basically diet courses one can pay for. The most extreme is shakes only (which you buy from them), 800 cal per day. No adjustment for an individual’s basal metabolic rate or anything. I think I’d be miserable on that with any activity and that’s not sustainable long term. Other ones were more like recipe plans with support meetings. No thanks to that, either.

Meds: several options. Stimulants. Antidepressants that happen to curb appetite. A repurposed migraine med. Combinations thereof. The most promising sounding in my mind was an injectable that works on the insulin pathway but apparently that isn’t covered by insurance unless one is diabetic, and it’s $1,200/mo out of pocket. Nope to all of those.

That left a clinical psychologist that counsels one on eating related mental issues and discussion about surgery. The NP did not think it was crazy that I’m going to see the surgeon, and indeed mentioned that the evidence out there suggests that intervening earlier (eg BMI 35) might have a better population health effect than current standards (BMI 40, or 35 with serious weight-related health problems).

So next up for me is seeing the surgeon on Aug 6 and getting an echo on Aug 9 (the latter related to my joint laxity, not my fatness). Again, if surgery is the path forward that’d be at least 6 mo from now due to hoops the insurers make one jump through.

Last edited:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
361A0411-D656-4516-AAF0-BEC50877DF58.jpeg

Mariko and Yuna both love the Mac Ride seat.

This is Mariko, the elder/longer. Note more than sufficient clearance above her head. I’ll take them on some tame-for-me, mindblowing-for-them trails on it in future weeks. For now we just tooled around the little hills in our neighborhood greenway. Video is at Facespace, mostly unintelligible due to wind noise.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
[I know I posted on this before. Sue me. :D This is a cross-post from a new OT thread I started today.]

What car 25 years (or soon to be 25 years) or older would you import into the US given the chance?

I think I'd go for a second-gen Toyota Century... because wool interior, used by the Japanese Emperor, Toyota V12, and the motto that "the Century is acquired through persistent work, the kind that is done in a plain but formal suit." Its retro styling also is like a less-ugly version of the 2003-2004 Infiniti M35 that I sort of like.

The V12-equipped second gen Century was made from 1997 onward, so 2022 is the date to remember.

An article today in Jalopnik on the current Century reinforces that it is likely the perfect car for noise-averse me:

I will never actually do this... or maybe I actually should down the road. :D

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
An article today in Jalopnik on the current Century reinforces that it is likely the perfect car for noise-averse me:

I will never actually do this... or maybe I actually should down the road. :D
Chicken emblem is awesome. 10 out of 10 for style.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Gah, chicken?! It's a phoenix. Did you read the bit about 4.5 hours per coat of paint on that or the like? Quite ridiculous.

Apparently 100 LHD models were made over a two year run in the 1997-2017 generation...

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Gah, chicken?! It's a phoenix. Did you read the bit about 4.5 hours per coat of paint on that or the like? Quite ridiculous.

Apparently 100 LHD models were made over a two year run in the 1997-2017 generation...
Yes, I read about the 7 layers of paint, the 4.5 hours of wet sanding, the mirror finish and the kinkaku ji reference.
Its still a chicken :D.You cant unsee it now.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
most educated people have the sense to not go and get fat. But not me, alas
A followup on this quip, since I got pushback from NASIOC on it and the Jabba joke:

So there's a stronger trend to not be fat with education in women, but not necessarily so in men. This tracks BMI > 30.

For the subgroup of people super fat morbidly obese, BMI > 40, there are fewer data. Here's a paper showing overall prevalence of 6.6% in adults:

Here's another paper, looking at US and UK data:

Introduction
This study evaluated socioeconomic inequality in morbid obesity (body mass index, BMI ≥40 kg/m2) through an analysis of population health survey data in the United States (US) and England (UK).
Methods
We analysed data for the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey and the Health Survey for England for 2011 to 2014. Age-adjusted odds ratios (AOR) were used to evaluate income- and education-inequality.
Results
There were 26,898 eligible UK and 10,628 US participants. Morbid obesity was more frequent in women than men, and higher in the US than the UK (men: US, 4.8%; UK, 1.7%; women US, 9.6%; UK, 3.7%). In the UK, morbid obesity showed graded income-inequality in both genders (AOR, for lowest income quintile: men, 1.83, 95% confidence interval 1.16 to 2.88; women, 2.18, 1.55 to 3.07), as well as education-inequality (AOR for no school qualifications, men 2.57, 1.64 to 4.02; women, 2.18, 1.55 to 3.07). In the US, morbid obesity showed a consistent gradient only for income in women (AOR for lowest income quintile 1.97, 1.19 to 3.25). When compared with all other US groups, having college education (AOR, men, 0.56, 0.29 to 1.08; women, 0.36, 0.22 to 0.60) or household income ≥$75 000 (AOR, men 0.52, 0.27 to 0.98; women, 0.51, 0.33 to 0.80) appeared to protect against morbid obesity.
Conclusions
Morbid obesity is associated with lower socioeconomic status in men and women in the UK. In the US, morbid obesity was twice as prevalent, but less strongly associated with socioeconomic status, suggesting that morbid obesity may now have spread to all but the highest socioeconomic groups.
Key figure:

Highest education category is completion of college. Highest income category is making $75k+/yr. I can safely divulge that I have completed college and make at least $75k/yr... so I am a mildly special snowflake indeed.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Time to order some body armor. I’m thinking it’s time for a Leatt.

My Leatt Fusion rides on me such that I have insufficient clearance anteriorly and too much posteriorly. I’m supposed to have 50-90 mm in the back and it’s at more like 110-120, which would allow for hyperextension.

I guess it still would be better than no armor and no neck protection. I’ve emailed Leatt to see what can be done. Apparently the spacers at the shoulder can be changed (which is how I’m guessing they get their different “sizes” with the same hard parts).

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Leatt got back to me and it sounds like a larger shoulder spacer yet for back-to-chest diameter would be ideal, but none is made:

Unfortunately, with the XXL size, those are the biggest spacers that we provide for the Fusion Vests. The vest looks to fit you fine. You want to make sure that your head is not going to far back or forward in the unit.

In the manual it specifies a rule of thumb for helmet to brace gap of 50-130mm at the front and 50-170mm at the rear.
Note the different reference range they provided for helmet to brace gap. With their numbers I'm fine in the back (but low in the front). The front clearance probably won't be an issue at all given heads-up positioning when descending.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
The Land Cruiser should be paid off on October 30. Er, paid off for the second time, that is.

:D

Next up: the Tesla's loan, and then maybe its sale in December or January if and only if the resale market is strong enough.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I had a physician directed weight loss appointment today. Ok, NP-directed. Close enough.

I wasn’t super impressed with their offerings.

Diet: usual platitudes except they advocate moderate protein, low carbs, low fat. So just low calorie all around!

They have several basically diet courses one can pay for. The most extreme is shakes only (which you buy from them), 800 cal per day. No adjustment for an individual’s basal metabolic rate or anything. I think I’d be miserable on that with any activity and that’s not sustainable long term. Other ones were more like recipe plans with support meetings. No thanks to that, either.

Meds: several options. Stimulants. Antidepressants that happen to curb appetite. A repurposed migraine med. Combinations thereof. The most promising sounding in my mind was an injectable that works on the insulin pathway but apparently that isn’t covered by insurance unless one is diabetic, and it’s $1,200/mo out of pocket. Nope to all of those.

That left a clinical psychologist that counsels one on eating related mental issues and discussion about surgery. The NP did not think it was crazy that I’m going to see the surgeon, and indeed mentioned that the evidence out there suggests that intervening earlier (eg BMI 35) might have a better population health effect than current standards (BMI 40, or 35 with serious weight-related health problems).

So next up for me is seeing the surgeon on Aug 6 and getting an echo on Aug 9 (the latter related to my joint laxity, not my fatness). Again, if surgery is the path forward that’d be at least 6 mo from now due to hoops the insurers make one jump through.
Nothing about quitting ebikes?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

My Leatt Fusion rides on me such that I have insufficient clearance anteriorly and too much posteriorly. I’m supposed to have 50-90 mm in the back and it’s at more like 110-120, which would allow for hyperextension.

I guess it still would be better than no armor and no neck protection. I’ve emailed Leatt to see what can be done. Apparently the spacers at the shoulder can be changed (which is how I’m guessing they get their different “sizes” with the same hard parts).
Whats the armor for? By that I mean more DH riding? Looks hot...

I've always had my eye on that helmet.......but the price. :fancy:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Whats the armor for? By that I mean more DH riding? Looks hot...

I've always had my eye on that helmet.......but the price. :fancy:
Going DHing indeed. Hopefully I'll get back into that +/- getting a bike. Helmet was chosen after determining it was the only one that actually fit my head. (In the past I just used to wear moto helmets, iirc.)
Toshi puts the 'e'xtreme in e-bike :rockout:
Heh. I don't plan on wearing this stuff on trails, and since all the lift accessed areas are USFS and thus no-e-zones then there should be no e-bike and armor overlap.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Dude. Is your willpower really that weak? I have trouble believing that. Maybe you just need some tough-:monkey: motivation? :homer:
It's not like I sit around eating Doritos all day and let myself turn into jelly. I just get a bit fatter each year with how I live.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
One cannot live a life devoid of joy

I don't eat that much kare pan, really. Plus my fatness-trend predates ready availability of kare pan here by many a year.
But seriously... is it just portions too large? You exercise... it seems like surgery for a rational, young man such as yourself is pretty drastic.

Then again, you are a doctor... and they seem to be, as a group... interesting case-studies. :D

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
But seriously... is it just portions too large? You exercise... it seems like surgery for a rational, young man such as yourself is pretty drastic.

Then again, you are a doctor... and they seem to be, as a group... interesting case-studies. :D

I saw @stoney the other night for the 1st time in a while. His seizure diet is remarkable, we know hes a lazy fuck and he dropped 60 pounds. Nice work, stoney.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001

I am technically now morbidly obese. I meet that criterion. By the book I'm a candidate, and given how much weight I ideally should drop (~110 lbs to lose by my math) I'm ready to look the beast in the eye.

I saw @stoney the other night for the 1st time in a while. His seizure diet is remarkable, we know hes a lazy fuck and he dropped 60 pounds. Nice work, stoney.
65, iirc. I actually had a dream last night about stoney dropping even more weight, down to 152 lbs. I didn't actually see him in this dream, only knew of this fake factoid somehow. Magic? Magnets?!

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Any way to increase your commuter miles on your actual bicycle to burn extra calories?

I know you dislike climbing, but tagging on an extra few rolling miles each side of your commute will help.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
65, iirc. I actually had a dream last night about stoney dropping even more weight, down to 152 lbs. I didn't actually see him in this dream, only knew of this fake factoid somehow. Magic? Magnets?!
50 and holding. Like @Nick said, I'm a lazy fuck. I do a negligible amount of physical activity that doesn't involve skiing only downhill once, maybe twice a week, in the winter and biking once a month at heart attack pace during the summer.

The diet is pretty simple, you just have to have the fortitude to hold it. I only get 20 carbs/day, but that is extreme and pretty fucking hard. 25 was a lot easier and a normal person with good planning can do 30-35. I do have a nutritionist involved because it's such an extreme diet, but that should be available to you through the hospital, no?

I currently have 3 keto books that I plan most of my meals around and search for things online if a particular food sounds good, I'll find an equivalent. I'm having chicken cordon bleu with green beans tonight - it uses pork rinds instead of break crumbs and actually tastes better. My only limitation with fake sugars is that I only get Stevia. But even then it's a free-for-all with it, so I don't lose my sweets. the hardest part was the first month getting used to no sugar, but I wasn't aware of my stevia options then.

Seriously look at changing your diet and being generally healthier instead of lobbing off part of your stomach.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Any way to increase your commuter miles on your actual bicycle to burn extra calories?

I know you dislike climbing, but tagging on an extra few rolling miles each side of your commute will help.
I will try to bike commute whenever my schedule allows, within reason. (Like today, working until 10 PM so not rolling home in the dark.) It's not like I haven't racked up a few thousand commute miles the last few years, though...

Seriously look at changing your diet and being generally healthier instead of lobbing off part of your stomach.
I've done ketogenic diets before, and lost a bit of weight. Not as much as you. I also felt grumpy and kind of slow-headed, and when mountain biking would basically insta-bonk. It did not seem like something I could sustain.

For now I'm trying to eat as if I'm diabetic, avoiding carbs but not being all militant as with your (medically necessary, I get it) diet.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I've done ketogenic diets before, and lost a bit of weight. Not as much as you. I also felt grumpy and kind of slow-headed, and when mountain biking would basically insta-bonk. It did not seem like something I could sustain.

For now I'm trying to eat as if I'm diabetic, avoiding carbs but not being all militant as with your (medically necessary, I get it) diet.
How much fat are/were you eating? I'm at 75% of daily intake for my starting point. I detonated after Crested Butte, but I was riding point, wasn't eating, and, according to my watch, burned more than I had eaten in the last 12 hours. When I am actually eating properly, I can carry my endurance just fine.

It is absolutely something sustainable if you are willing to put in the effort. And let's be honest, it kind of is medically necessary for you at this point.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
I've never tracked macros deeper than just the carbs in and of themselves. Certainly was high fat, though.

Aug 6 is my date with the surgeon. Again, if he tells me to suck it up or jump through this or that hoop then I will do that. But if he agrees that I might be a good candidate for getting cut (through 5 tiny incisions: laparoscopic/robotic assisted) then I'll get cut (in February or later due to the built in cool-off/tuneup period), as the data show that's the best long-term solution for Joe Sixpack.