Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The flip side of the "is surgery crazy for a 37 year old?" question is that I'd be a super low risk patient, as my heart, pancreas, etc. all work fine (for now). It's my fatness in and of itself that bodes a risk for future hypertension, type 2 diabeeetus, etc. Nipping that in the bud would be nice indeed.

I remember when climbing wasn't a royal pain in the ass... back in high school.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I like this truck review, and I am putting this here because you review a lot of vehicles.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
But seriously... is it just portions too large? You exercise... it seems like surgery for a rational, young man such as yourself is pretty drastic.

Then again, you are a doctor... and they seem to be, as a group... interesting case-studies. :D
Eating take out and/or processed food too often is my bet.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I like this truck review, and I am putting this here because you review a lot of vehicles.

"This is a truck for people who want a luxury car but are culturally obligated to own a truck"

Heh.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the data show that's the best long-term solution for Joe Sixpack
Digging into this a bit deeper:

BACKGROUND
Weight loss causes changes in appetite and energy expenditure that promote weight regain. Ghrelin is a hormone that increases food intake in rodents and humans. If circulating ghrelin participates in the adaptive response to weight loss, its levels should rise with dieting. Because ghrelin is produced primarily by the stomach, weight loss after gastric bypass surgery may be accompanied by impaired ghrelin secretion.

[...]

RESULTS
Plasma ghrelin levels rose sharply shortly before and fell shortly after every meal. A diet-induced weight loss of 17 percent of initial body weight was associated with a 24 percent increase in the area under the curve for the 24-hour ghrelin profile (P=0.006). In contrast, despite a 36 percent weight loss after gastric bypass, the area under the curve for the ghrelin profile in the gastric-bypass group was 77 percent lower than in normal-weight controls (P<0.001) and 72 percent lower than in matched obese controls (P=0.01). The normal, meal-related fluctuations and diurnal rhythm of the ghrelin level were absent after gastric bypass.

[...]

>>>>>

So it's different than dieting. Dieting makes you hungrier (duh) and your body responds by trying to fatten you up back to where you were before. Surgerizing shit causes the stomach to throw up its hormone-hands and say "ok, I'm not hungry".

There's also probably a separate effect on insulin resistance, which remarkably takes hold before any weight loss.

Again, I'm not diabetic, but I'm a setup for it and the metabolic syndrome as it is.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That's 2/2 for e-bikes, because #1 is Todd Munson at 11:27. He's the Masters enduro racer guy…
Todd is going to join me for tomorrow morning's Mountain Lion ride. Should be a fun one! I will attempt to return in one piece.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Road and gravel riding is a great way to really put in some miles and get that long ride where you burn fat. I don't find I need to eat like crazy. I used to think road was stupid but I have had a lot of cool experiences riding it and the new bikes are fun and comfy. I even started spinning which I thought was extra stupid but turned out to be a good way to get the pulse up during the winter. I have turned into opposite George

1564637330510.jpeg

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Good ride today.

2:32 on Through the Woods. 13 sec back on Todd, who really attacks each turn aggressively and takes some great lines.

I also cleared the steep shale righthand switchback halfway up the climb for the first time. Not the first one after the doubletrack—that one is routine. Two turns later.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Back in my paws once more. Looks good to me. Ultimate tally was something like $2,350.

Edit: Also had the charging port replaced outside my home this afternoon via Tesla Mobile Service. That was a good experience. Took the guy 20 minutes to do the work, then he pulled it around back into the garage to test it. 30 minutes from him knocking to driving away. Now it can charge at 40A once again, limited by the EVSE (car can take 48A via AC).

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
To his comment I posted this link, regarding a new 7.3L gas OHV V8 that Ford is making for their 3/4 ton and up pickups, vans, and bare chassis:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/trucks/a27310861/ford-73-liter-gas-v8-engine/

Attn @dan-o

Flat torque curve despite nominally peaking high.

430 horsepower at 5,000 RPM and 475 pound-feet of torque at 4,000 RPM when in F-250s and F-350s with the 10-speed.

Interestingly in chassis cab (thus labeled as F-450 and higher inclusive of the RV chassis) it's downrated to a “dyno certified” 350 horsepower and 468 pound-feet. Medium duty gets the legacy 6 speed. Lower rev limit to blame?

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
my best is 2:10.
overall fastest time is :41 sec LOLbork
That figure is for Evan. I likely defined the Through the Woods e-segment a few seconds shorter than the acoustic version <ducks thrown vegetables> but he’s at 3:10… :D

(I did that intentionally to avoid having it start when people are loitering at the top or still counting away when pulling up short of the first creek crossing.)

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Attn @dan-o

430 horsepower at 5,000 RPM and 475 pound-feet of torque at 4,000 RPM when in F-250s and F-350s with the 10-speed.

Interestingly in chassis cab (thus labeled as F-450 and higher inclusive of the RV chassis) it's downrated to a “dyno certified” 350 horsepower and 468 pound-feet. Medium duty gets the legacy 6 speed. Lower rev limit to blame?
My understanding is that the engines are identical but that the testing method for 450+ models just rates power differently. Lower rpm is what I recall.

I expected better numbers but with the right gearing this sounds like a great set up.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My understanding is that the engines are identical but that the testing method for 450+ models just rates power differently. Lower rpm is what I recall.

I expected better numbers but with the right gearing this sounds like a great set up.
Re transmission choices looks like only true medium duty are 6-speed only. 10 speed optional even on F-450/550. What’s a F-600 anyway, new thing?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Re transmission choices looks like only true medium duty are 6-speed only. 10 speed optional even on F-450/550. What’s a F-600 anyway, new thing?

Yep new vehicle.
Sounds perfect for urban use and anywhere a smaller but very capable package (ha) is desired.

The six speed in the diesels and gas 350s is as good as the ‘allison’ in my Chevy.

That with the 7.3 should be dead reliable and cheap to operate.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Yep new vehicle.
Sounds perfect for urban use and anywhere a smaller but very capable package (ha) is desired.

The six speed in the diesels and gas 350s is as good as the ‘allison’ in my Chevy.

That with the 7.3 should be dead reliable and cheap to operate.
Interesting. The medium duty cab is years (decades?) old, so offering a Class 6 chassis with the fresh cab seems like a very smart decision indeed. Time to cross ye olde F-650 off my own shopping list, for sure

:D

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Attn @dan-o

Thinking about it more, I think ones rated at flywheel and the other at the wheels. All I know for certain, per a ford power train engineer, is that the engines are mechanically identical.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Thinking about it more, I think ones rated at flywheel and the other at the wheels. All I know for certain, per a ford power train engineer, is that the engines are mechanically identical.
The torque number being so similar suggests against that.

I found the answer in Ford’s actual press release:

A dyno-certified version of the 7.3-liter V8 producing 350 horsepower at 3,900 rpm and 468 lb.-ft. of torque at 3,900 rpm will be standard on [XYZ]
Note both measured at 3,900 rpm per the quote. So per the chart that you quoted it’s identical to the higher rated engine at that rpm. Not sure if max rpm is limited or just that that’s where they chose to measure for whatever reliability metric reason.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
The torque number being so similar suggests against that.

I found the answer in Ford’s actual press release:

Note both measured at 3,900 rpm per the quote. So per the chart that you quoted it’s identical to the higher rated engine at that rpm. Not sure if max rpm is limited or just that that’s where they chose to measure for whatever reliability metric reason.
I’ll dig up the info. It was in an old thread on ford-trucks.com when the 6.2 was released and the power train guy discussed all this.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Recently picked this up for interior foreman.
Crazy value at $19k ($27k msrp). It’s awesome.

2AEC114D-1AE1-4A63-8918-92025D4DA4DD.jpeg

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Small work vans make a lot of sense. In Japan contractors rock out with Kei-class vans with ladder racks on top.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Small work vans make a lot of sense. In Japan contractors rock out with Kei-class vans with ladder racks on top.
There's a ladder rack on it now. Before I handed it to the guys my wife fell in love with it and her V60 didn't move for a week. Needed to get it away from her as the cargo capacity was getting expensive.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Eating take out and/or processed food too often is my bet.
True to this I did have a kare pan for breakfast just now. But it also was with an Atkins net 2g protein shake and was after pedaling myself 6.66 miles into work. (Mileage of 100th of the Beast!)

In general I don't eat total crap, though, but maybe I'm a bad judge of that and that's the underlying issue. Hmm.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I understand the interrelated nature of exercise, weight loss and hunger, but I'm curious if you do any other exercise? Getting cut at 37 seems like madness for you. In my experience, I started finding casual (i.e. non-race/training) cycling to not be sufficiently intense and my weight stayed put. I started playing tennis, hiking, swimming again, and that helped reset my weight lower... and I'm much stronger w/ a more balanced core.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I understand the interrelated nature of exercise, weight loss and hunger, but I'm curious if you do any other exercise? Getting cut at 37 seems like madness for you. In my experience, I started finding casual (i.e. non-race/training) cycling to not be sufficiently intense and my weight stayed put. I started playing tennis, hiking, swimming again, and that helped reset my weight lower... and I'm much stronger w/ a more balanced core.
I bike commute, I mountain bike, and I ski. That's about it.

Have I mentioned I have 3 kids? :D There's really not much extra time in my life between all of the above.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Rolling to Food Truck Friday on 9 wheels.

Just as with traveling by air the wife does not pack light:

That said, it was a burner today and having the pop up tent/shade thing for the baby (and us, too) was a good thing.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Bike took a rock nap on a rock this morning while climbing, near 0 mph. In that awkward position my body weight bore down on the bike while it was sideways.

In doing that I managed to put a nice scratch if not crack/depression in my new rear triangle, but also managed to grind through the Di2 cable right where it emerges.

Whoops. I was stuck in the gear I was in (biggest cog) for the rest of the ride.

I did try some swoopier lines on Through the Trees. As there was trailwork threatened (they were gathering in the upper lot as I rode past at the end) I took it easy after that point, not that I could do anything but that in gear 1.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
This looks really promising as a commuter:

Calamus One

Mid drive motor, Gates carbon belt, Shimano Alfine 8 internally geared hub, 750W @ 28 mph pushed along by 672 Wh, built in lights and rear wheel lock, and some hocus pocus electronic stuff all powered by a little Android tablet in the stem.

$2,300 Indiegogo gambling-man price, with an $895 upgrade to a Rohloff as well as factory options for front and rear racks and fenders.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Dockless electric scooter life cycle emissions estimated at 200 g CO2/mile. That’s not very good. The electricity to power them is only 5% of their overall impact (manufacturing, transportation from China, disposal, and the fleet of “juicers” who charge them and thus drive around the city in gas vehicles).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Mmm articulation

(Funny badges are because this is a special edition with throwback cues. Also no 3rd row!)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Watching that after a few Pinkbike Friday fails makes for an interesting contrast.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Attn @dan-o

Probably detuned for reliability with the more demanding duty cycle required of something that will do more than looking rugged while dropping the kids off at school because you think the bus is too dangerous.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Probably detuned for reliability with the more demanding duty cycle required of something that will do more than looking rugged while dropping the kids off at school because you think the bus is too dangerous.
Per later posts I think I figured it out: Seems the points line up identically if one measures hp and torque at 3,900, as is reported for the dyno-certified one. This lines up with another article I saw elsewhere where they describe that their transmission tuning tries to keep the engine between 1,500-4,000 rpm in most usage.