Quantcast

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
We make an autonomous cleaning machine but you can drive it manually too as there simply are times when manual override makes sense and its greatly increase the value of the product for the customer.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
:fie:
maybe it's just that my only experience with them is on long skinny skis on the east coast where they are little more than tiny igloos of death scattered across an otherwise lovely ski slope...
Yeah - you're missing out. Moguls can be that sort of nightmware... or a complete joy. If they have ~12" of powder on them, they're almost the best thing there is to ski... other than completely untracked, 3-foot deep blower. :cool:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Yeah - you're missing out. Moguls can be that sort of nightmware... or a complete joy. If they have ~12" of powder on them, they're almost the best thing there is to ski... other than completely untracked, 3-foot deep blower. :cool:
I had a knee deep run down Drunken Frenchman last season. And had to stop halfway through because skiing that shit is hard.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
It's a poor craftsman who blames his tools. But, the typical ski we all use does NOT help navigate real moguls. I have a pair of small radius, medium flex skis which make (soft) bumps almost fun.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I went to my not so local independent auto shop to get the Land Cruiser’s oil changed today. It’s at 165k and I figured a synthetic change now, another at 172.5k and then we’d be good until the 180k major service (timing belt, in particular).

Turns out it’s leaking oil somewhere under the timing belt cover. I figured that if they’re going to be in there to take a look then might as well get that full 180k service done now.

So an hour long wait here visit has turned into a Lyft home and picking it up at shop opening on Monday morning (so that I can go mountain biking after yet get back in time so my wife can make it to her noon workout). Just as well. They’ll likely be done tomorrow but I can’t make it back conveniently until then.

As an aside, I’ve posted about the shop before, but it’s relevant here: Comprehensive Car Care, staffed by old Car Talk type guys, no bullshit, and whose opinions I trust—most of the time I ask if anything else might be done and they say the vehicle’s doing just fine. They only work on Toyota, Honda, and Subaru.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So an hour long wait here visit has turned into a Lyft home and picking it up at shop opening on Monday morning
Surprisingly non-bad public transit options exist for my Monday morning return trip there. ~15 min bike ride to train station (or “ride” since I’ll be on the Pivot with some assist to make up for those big 25 psi meats thrumming along), two trains with a reasonable transfer, ~10 min bike ride from destination train station to the repair shop.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Ski season is coming! This year’s goal will be to get better at moguls. The video has some nice skier footage after the initial goofy hip thrusting in the kitchen.
What's with the VHS video and fartbags? Did global warming melt all the moguls in 1987?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Attn @dan-o

Interesting bits:

- generally higher (sometimes much higher! sometimes equal) tow ratings for the 10-speed auto vs 6-speed when both mated up with the 6.2L gasser
- 4000-4500 lbs higher tow ratings for the 7.3L gasser as compared to the 6.2L
- cock-measuring 37k gooseneck tow rating for the F-450 Power Stroke, regular cab, 4 x 2
- for more realistic F-350 crew cab, 4 x 4, 7.3L, 4.30 setups it'll likely be something like 18-19k, I'm inferring

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Attn @dan-o

Interesting bits:

- generally higher (sometimes much higher! sometimes equal) tow ratings for the 10-speed auto vs 6-speed when both mated up with the 6.2L gasser
- 4000-4500 lbs higher tow ratings for the 7.3L gasser as compared to the 6.2L
- cock-measuring 37k gooseneck tow rating for the F-450 Power Stroke, regular cab, 4 x 2
- for more realistic F-350 crew cab, 4 x 4, 7.3L, 4.30 setups it'll likely be something like 18-19k, I'm inferring
F-350 crew cab, 4 x 4, 7.3L, 4.30 is what I'll likely wind up with.
2.5" carli level, 18" factory steel wheels, 35/37" tires.
Base lariat, long bed ideally.
Still going to be a few years, I own the '15 and it's only got 110k on it.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Surprisingly non-bad public transit options exist for my Monday morning return trip there. ~15 min bike ride to train station (or “ride” since I’ll be on the Pivot with some assist to make up for those big 25 psi meats thrumming along), two trains with a reasonable transfer, ~10 min bike ride from destination train station to the repair shop.

Are those the lightrail trains? Do they allow bikes during rush hour traffic?

Trains and subways here won't allow bikes during rush hour :(

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
F-350 crew cab, 4 x 4, 7.3L, 4.30 is what I'll likely wind up with.
2.5" carli level, 18" factory steel wheels, 35/37" tires.
Base lariat, long bed ideally.
Still going to be a few years, I own the '15 and it's only got 110k on it.
Base Lariat is a contradiction. XL or XLT get that nod, no? :D

You and @SkaredShtles have your fancy tastes, apparently (he has a F-150 Lariat 4x4 crew cab with the 5.0).

Are those the lightrail trains? Do they allow bikes during rush hour traffic?

Trains and subways here won't allow bikes during rush hour :(

The A line is a low floor commuter rail on its own protected tracks at grade (but with street crossings since it's not the shinkansen), bikes in all cars, built in stand up bike racks, even.

The C line (and G, R, W, H as in picture, etc.) are high floor light rail, sometimes alongside or crossing streets. Bikes at ends of all cars except not right behind the conductor's cabin, but high floor/high steps and no built in way to secure bikes. Not super bike friendly but will do.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Base Lariat is a contradiction. XL or XLT get that nod, no? :D

You and @SkaredShtles have your fancy tastes, apparently (he has a F-150 Lariat 4x4 crew cab with the
I like my leather heated/cooled seats.
Nothing like a/c seats to cool down the boys after a summer ride.
Cloth doesn’t hold up well to wet surf shorts/muddy riding clothes/dogs.
Leather and carpet delete has been great in past, cleans up surprisingly well.

An XLT would work but with lariat I have correct wiring harness to add oem led headlights post sale ($2k parts vs $7k in packages to get them from factory). The halogen lights suck and I don’t want tons of rigids tacked on everywhere.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
If/when I get down to 200 lbs I will follow @Nick 's lead and mount up an 11-6... and maybe a coil conversion for my 36 up front. Push is in Loveland so I could just haul my shit out to them. I don't want to mess with coil weights until I stabilize at something sustainable.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
It's beyond reason to me that DEXA would be used for a young adult male.
DEXA has two uses.

You’re probably thinking of checking bone density, which is what it can do as part of the dual energy bit that lets it do tissue decomposition. Old ladies with osteoporosis.

The other use of tissue decomposition is to break down fat mass and non-fat/lean mass. That’s the version I had done—there was no reporting of bone density (although I did have that version performed ~2005 as a med student volunteer for a research study—I am neither osteopenic nor osteoporotic as one would guess).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Cardio while fasted (Mike said they used 6 hours as the time—haven’t read study myself) burns almost twice the fat as that when fed.

So this explains how people can lose some weight while eating a normal schedule—cardio does result in some fat oxidation above baseline even when fed. But twice as much when fasted goes to explain why standard methods don’t work great, especially when they’re compounded by metabolic adaptation if going low calorie.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Ideally I'd have a drone following me, 10 feet back, avoiding trees, capturing perfect over the shoulder video game style footage. This would be dangerous, annoying for other users, and is banned pretty much everywhere, though, so that's not happening despite it being technically possible.

The GoPro Fusion is intriguing because it comes a bit closer to this ideal:
The Fusion is being sold at $299 now. It launched at $699, I believe.

Rumored is that a Fusion 2, the Max, is coming soon:

I may jump on that bandwagon if there exists a clean helmet mount-with-offset solution. The closest I can see now is using one of these pieces:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
@Toshi get this one

Its a nice car but there is something about that just seems very old fashion. I think for the price I could buy both a Mercedes EQC and a Tesla 3. I do think Tesla could do a little more to play on peoples emotions like Porsche is trying to do.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Aya-chan is now nominally 9 months, 7.5 months in reality.

Using 9 month norms she is:

30th percentile weight
20th percentile height
49th percentile for head circumference

Using 7.5 months (as she was 6 weeks early):

43rd percentile weight
44th percentile height
67th percentile head circumfererence

My babies have big heads, it is true.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
@Toshi get this one

Its a nice car but there is something about that just seems very old fashion. I think for the price I could buy both a Mercedes EQC and a Tesla 3. I do think Tesla could do a little more to play on peoples emotions like Porsche is trying to do.
After consideration of myself, I am just not a Porsche kind of asshole person.

:D

My 3 is getting the v10 software update starting in a few seconds. OTA updates rock. I may have to give Smart Summon a shake.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I used to rent a room in a guys house who worked for super wealthy people at their Palm Beach summer house. They were stinking rich but still only drove a Golf and a Saab convertible and I think that was super cool.

When are you getting the new self driving chip?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Yeah, understatement is tight.

No guidance from Tesla when I'll get it. Hopefully be end of calendar year. I haven't seen any stories on Electrek about 3 owners getting the new chip yet, only that one on an S owner.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

My plans have been foiled by Comprehensive saying they can't have it done by shop opening on Monday morning (so realistically by end of day today). But I can drop off the kids in the minivan (with baby at home with wife), with the Pivot stuffed inside +/- front wheel off, and then use that. Much better than the alternative of riding the train(s) across town and doing an Apex/Chimney loop.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Sept 28 update, 49 days since starting intermittent (+ some extended) fasting:

I am indeed right at 240 at the end of this month as forecast, 20 lbs down from the start, more or less. 10 lbs per month on straight IF seems possible--the steeper drops on the teeny tiny curve were from the extended fasts. My apologies for the tiny graph--Omada does running 1 month or 1 years, and the 1 month at this point doesn't show the trend great whereas this does but sacrifices ability to tell precise values.

So 230 by Halloween, 220 by Dec 1, 210 by the new year if the trend continues as linear? It'll be interesting to see when my glidepath flattens out a bit. I'll try to wait until/if I hit 200 to get repeat DEXA/RMR/lab testing, but if I plateau around, say, 210 I'll just get it done around 6 months in (so Feb 10 or thereabouts).

Testing planned:

- DEXA, to find out what my lean mass and body fat has done, particularly the bad-risk visceral fat
- RMR, to see how weight loss using this method has affected my basal metabolic rate
- lipid panel with Lp(a), to see if I have a good risk profile or not, good being defined as low Lp(a), high HDL, low Tg, and any LDL value (yes--see Lp(a) or ask if this doesn't make sense)
- LFTs, to see if my AST/ALT/ferritin elevations have resolved, if the fatty liver has gone away

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

This study looked at metabolic adaptation (which is the excess dialing down of metabolism beyond that expected by the lean mass change with weight loss in and of itself) in The Biggest Loser contestants and matched people who underwent gastric bypass.

The Biggest Loser techniques resulted in more fat loss proportionally--recall they did calorie restriction with 45% carb target (so conventional diet), and lots of exercise. Point to conventional methods here. The discussion mentions that the diets weren't the same--bypass group was restricted to 70g protein per day whereas The Biggest Loser group was likely eating more like 120g--but concludes that the exercise regimen also probably had a lot to do with this observation.

Ah, but there's this. By a year the gastric bypass group had NO metabolic adaptation. At the end of the 30 week The Biggest Loser show they had already experienced metabolic adaptation... and the followup paper from 6 years later showed that there was even more metabolic adaptation that far out!

The discussion speculated this:

However, the magnitude of the energy deficit is likely a main driver of metabolic adaptation, as predicted by mathematical models of human metabolism (23, 38). Therefore, the metabolic adaptation in BLC participants would be expected to be greatly attenuated during a weight loss maintenance phase when energy balance is achieved.
However, again I'd point the reader to the 6 year out study--steady state weight, steady energy balance, and MORE metabolic adaptation for the unfortunate The Biggest Loser crew.

So the real question is how does metabolic adaptation come about, and how might one reverse it? (And does fasting do this?) This is what this paper has to offer:

The mechanisms underlying metabolic adaptation are not clear, but it has been speculated to involve decreases in circulating leptin and thyroid hormones in association with blunted activity of the sympathetic nervous system (25-30). [...] Emerging data suggests that replacement of circulating leptin to pre‐weight loss levels reverses metabolic adaptation, perhaps through alterations in mitochondrial content and/or coupling (31, 32), and maintenance of thyroid hormone concentrations (28, 33).
Onto another paper to possibly shed more light on this: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdfdirect/10.1002/oby.20027

It cites some literature regarding fasting, with encouraging results from my perspective of wanting fasting to not result in metabolic adaptation, or adaptive thermogenesis in their language:

REE increased (by 0.66 MJ or 160 kcal/d) rather than decreased in healthy lean volunteers totally starved for 4 d resulting in a mean decrease in weight (from 64.2 to 61.5 kg) and RQ, that is, respiratory quotient (from 0.83 to 0.71; 19). These data were in line with an earlier study, where REE was elevated in healthy male lean subjects following 48 h total starvation (20). Increased REE had been explained by an increase in energetically expensive processes, for example, gluconeogenesis or futile substrate cycles of lipids. More confusing, there was no change in REE per kg body weight in five obese patients undergoing a 21 d fast (21)
Meanwhile they cite a study on underfeeding (but not fasting!) that's concordant with the metabolic adaptation data from The Biggest Loser studies:

In the CALERIE study, at a 25% reduction of energy intake in healthy normal- and overweight adults, 24-h energy expenditure and sleeping metabolic rate were about 0.36 MJ (or 87 kcal; 7%) lower than predicted after 3-6 mo of caloric restriction (22).
They also cite some discordant data--very messy, apparently. They then have a long discourse on how adaptive thermogenesis may actually be explained by metabolically active organs (e.g. liver, kidneys) becoming smaller after weight loss, whereas skeletal muscle (not very active at rest as one would expect) is relatively constant.

Onto a bit of their paper more interesting:

In humans, [sympathetic nervouse system] activity, leptin, and thyroid hormones have been suggested as major determinants of AT. With starvation and reduction in carbohydrate intake, there is a fall in plasma concentrations of both, 3,5,3’ triiodo-L-thyronine (T3; 59,60) and leptin (61,62) with variable changes in the plasma levels and urinary excretion of adrenaline and noradrenaline (17,60)
Again the data are messy. They mention several studies regarding leptin, and whether leptin itself has any thermic effect seems unclear. Here's a study where leptin supplementation returned total energy expenditure to normal but didn't affect resting energy exposure (which makes little sense):

A 5-wk treatment with leptin reversed the weight loss-associated fall in thyroid hormones and SNS activity and returned 24-h energy expenditure to normal values. However, in that protocol, leptin had no effect on REE, and its effect was due to energy expended for physical activity and skeletal muscle energetics (defined as mechanical efficiency of skeletal muscle while bicycling to generate 10 W of power; 87).
And they generalize, again illustrating that it's a mechanism with many, many moving parts:

With weight loss, there is a long-term persistence of the hormonal adaptations including insulin, glucagon, peptideYY, cholecystokinine, amylin, ghrelin, gastric-inhibitory polypeptide, and pancreatic polypeptide (88). However, in humans none of these hormones has an effect on energy expenditure. [...]

The REE component of AT is explained by reductions in protein turnover, adaptations in glucose and urea productions, metabolic cycles, and/or decreases in Na+, K+, and Ca++ leak back across membrane channels and, thus, reduced energy costs.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Amidst that rambling second paper I did call out their mention of a few studies that indeed showed that resting energy expenditure increases with fasting (at least on the order of 4 days and shorter). Let's look at two papers, one that they cited, and another that I found that offers another mechanism for why this might be true:

Design: Resting energy expenditure, measured by indirect calorimetry, and hormone and substrate concentrations were measured in 11 healthy, lean subjects on days 1, 2, 3, and 4 of an 84-h starvation period.

Results: Resting energy expenditure increased significantly from 3.97 ± 0.9 kJ/min on day 1 to 4.53 ± 0.9 kJ/min on day 3 (P < 0.05). The increase in resting energy expenditure was associated with an increase in the norepinephrine concentration from 1716. ± 574 pmol/L on day 1 to 3728 ± 1636 pmol/L on day 4 (P < 0.05). Serum glucose decreased from 4.9 ± 0.5 to 3.5 ± 0.5 mmol/L (P < 0.05), whereas insulin did not change significantly.
Their abstract really tells what they did (as it should). Fasting resulted in increased resting energy expenditure, which they posited is via norepinephrine increases. This is what the YouTube personalities all say, and it's nice to have some evidence that they're not full of crap...

Here's a second paper on another mechanism: https://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/47/2/298.short

Their abstract's language is a bit dense so I'll break it down:

1) Fasting increases REE, as above
2) One mechanism for this shown in the last 20 years or so is via increased expression in muscles of uncoupling protein 3 (UCP3)
3) Increased UCP3 leads to increased "facultative thermogenesis" in brown fat in rodents, and lowers mitochondrial membrane potential in yeast. In short, it makes the body less efficient and waste more heat--that's your increased metabolism right there!
4) UCP3 increases per the experiments in this second paper seem to show that it's reactive to the increase in free fatty acids.
5) Therefore a nice mechanism for fasting's efficacy is right there: fast, get low insulin, increase lipolysis now that insulin is low and therefore get FFAs up, increase UCP3 expression, increase metabolic rate via this + the sympathetic-mediated system as per the first paper. Boom.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I would totally drive a stretched Saab 99. Except for the carbureted bit. I'd drive a new version, though.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
10 lbs per month on straight IF seems possible
What I've eaten thus far today has me thinking. For simplicity (in fridge) and because I know it has minimal carbs, so far today I've drank water and eaten one 8 oz wheel of brie.

8g carbs, 40g protein, 72g fat. With those macros I should have a very minimal insulin response, which is a good thing:

But it raises the question of why I ate it at all. I'm still clearly at a point where I have ample remaining fat stores, and what I could mobilize via lipolysis during my fast would be of a similar composition to the fat-heavy cheese that I ate. (Yes, lipolysis would lead to some glucose, too, via gluconeogenesis in the liver, and there's always some low level background protein turnover going on.)

So if my goal is continued fat loss and I would otherwise be trying to eat very keto-clean (so very low carbs) for my lunch meal I should probably just skip lunch altogether and go OMAD, one meal a day. I'll try to be cognizant of carbs at dinner so as to not have a giant insulin spike lasting halfway into the night, but given my current goal I think this makes sense.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I tried Smart Summon today and was less than impressed.

To get to me the car would have to pull out of a spot going forward, turn 90 degrees left, then drive maybe 30 feet forward.

What it did was pull out, turn left, stop, reverse, back up, turn left again (so now facing 180 degrees from where it started), pull through the original spot faced away from me, then turn left yet again, headed now off somewhere not anywhere near me.

I let off the button at that point and walked over to get in the car.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I went to my not so local independent auto shop to get the Land Cruiser’s oil changed today. It’s at 165k and I figured a synthetic change now, another at 172.5k and then we’d be good until the 180k major service (timing belt, in particular).

Turns out it’s leaking oil somewhere under the timing belt cover. I figured that if they’re going to be in there to take a look then might as well get that full 180k service done now.
Turned out to not quite be the full 180k service as transmission fluids and the like not done.

But the big parts of that service were done: timing belt and associated while-in-there preventative stuff: water pump, various pulleys, cooling fan bracket (the shop guys say these tend to go around 200k miles), serpentine belt and tensioner. The actual parts to fix the leak were cheap--see the lines for the cam seal and valve cover gasket. It was rather the labor to install all of this.

Cars are expensive.