Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Either way next year I'm going to give a lawn service company a try, one that a former co-worker in my neighborhood uses. If the lawns aren't noticeably better for the outlay then I'll revert to doing it myself in 2021, +/- trying to mulch everything if I get off my ass and mow every week.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
On LDL-C, and how levels of it are inversely correlated to all-cause mortality:

(As in, higher LDL <==> lower risk of dying. Yeah.)

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Volvo XC40 Recharge announced

Good:

- 408 hp via all wheels, 0-60 in 4.7 seconds
- 150 kW fast charging

Bad:

- "more than 200" miles of EPA range despite 78 kWh pack, so shitty efficiency
- "priced under $50,000" so expect $49,990
- 2 rows, only 19"/20" wheel options, Sensus will still be crappy with Android underhood

Verdict: Why would anyone buy this instead of a Model Y save for misplaced vanity?
Don't underestimate vanity plus I think some of the bads you list are not bad in other people eyes actually a lot of people would not see any of them as a problem when buying.

However I think you missed the autonomous driving capabilities where I highly doubt Volvo would get close to what Tesla is offering.

The Y has a lot more sloping roof line so from a practical standpoint the Volvo looks better.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Agreed in general re sloping roofline save for two things:

- XC40 is strictly 2 rows so it's only over the cargo area, less relevant
- that sloping roofline is part of a Kamm back, which in turn relates to the efficiency differences observed

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Wore my Watch last night because it is the perfect tool for getting me up before the wife without waking her. It taps on my wrist as the alarm.

Anyway, when I woke up it told me this. Heart rate is low, yo. This is probably a good thing reflective of increasing cardiovascular health since I don’t have a bundle branch block or some shit like that.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Re discussion of butter and @Westy 's friend's MI:

Most of this is dry and the discussion totally misses the point, IMO. The money is in Table 2 from that PDF. Specifically these four lines matter for our purposes:

Ignore the left hand columns under low HDL-C: that'd be vegans and other people not consuming fats. An odds ratio of over 1.0 means they have an increased risk of cardiovascular disease, for the record.

What we care about are the high HDL, low TG right hand columns, the place where one would hope we slot in if eating low to moderate carbs, and lots of non-veggie oil fats. Note that the odds ratio for this group is 0.6-0.7 for all four lines, with the whole table showing that 0.6 is the lowest odds ratio found in any particular subgroup. Those lines differ in their levels of LDL.

So what does this mean? If one has low triglycerides and high HDL then it appears that LDL levels do not matter. One will end up in a favorable cardiovascular risk group regardless of LDL level.

/me is hoping that December labwork (whenever my PCP finally caves in and orders it for me, annoyingly) will show a nice and high HDL and low TG, and if this proves to be the case he will not care about LDL at all

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
/me is hoping that December labwork (whenever my PCP finally caves in and orders it for me, annoyingly) will show a nice and high HDL and low TG
Is it bad that I just went in Epic and placed these?

I'd called the lab earlier today and asked if I could place them as a verbal order. The lab tech talked to his supervisor, and she told him no as it'd be a HIPAA violation. That is a bullshit excuse: HIPAA is not relevant to that.

Anyway, he did handily create an orders-only encounter in Epic, however, perhaps expressly so that I could do what I did, which was go in, pick that encounter (so not glomming on to one with an unrelated PCP, which could be more unethical), and then figure out the interface to place those orders. I even associated them with diagnoses so as to make them nice and billable.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
FIIK... besides - you're the doctor. You tell me:

CHOLESTEROL: 132
TRIGLYCERIDES: 58
HDL CHOLESTEROL: 75
LDL CHOLESTEROL: 45
CHOL/HDL RATIO: 1.8
NON-HDL CHOLESTEROL: 57

To me it's just a bunch of goddam numbers. :confused:
If the blood was red when they took it you're all good.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
FIIK... besides - you're the doctor. You tell me:

CHOLESTEROL: 132
TRIGLYCERIDES: 58
HDL CHOLESTEROL: 75
LDL CHOLESTEROL: 45
CHOL/HDL RATIO: 1.8
NON-HDL CHOLESTEROL: 57

To me it's just a bunch of goddam numbers. :confused:
Those are fantastic numbers, Watz. Doin' it right.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
For full disclosure/comparison purposes, here are my lipid panel results from July 11, 2019, right around my time of peak fatness/unhealthiness. I hope to have completely different results come Dec 18, 2019 when I get these redone:

TG 187
Total cholesterol 261
HDL 47
LDL 177

Note that even at this low point I still had lower than average risk per the Framingham offspring study! Also the triglyceride values weren't fasted (and 14+ hours fasted is optimal per Dave Feldman's data), which likely caused them to be artifactually high.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I am seriously thinking about getting an Apple watch both for work research but also to better track my workout/spinning at the gym. Also would like to free myself more from the phone. Whats your take on it @Toshi?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I am seriously thinking about getting an Apple watch both for work research but also to better track my workout/spinning at the gym. Also would like to free myself more from the phone. Whats your take on it @Toshi?
I dig it. Battery life is good enough, interface makes sense and isn't all super laggy like my Garmin Vivoactive HR, calendar/messaging functionality is very handy. The Sport Loop bands are comfortable--one is on in the photo. There's a native Strava app for the Watch itself, which is handy.

Only complaints:

- price
- screen scuffing (so get the stainless or titanium version--harder glass with that)
- not accurate via Slopes app for ski tracking, I've found out

My aluminum Series 4 is going by the wayside... only because I have a titanium Series 5 that should be coming in a few weeks.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Have you considered that your new dietary program is just very, very slowly killing you?
Heart rate will approach 0 bpm asymptotically in the long run...

Back in high school when I was a non-e-assisted athlete legitimately my resting heart rate was usually in the 40s, sometimes even dipping to the upper 30s if particularly relaxed.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
@Pesqueeb

Mazda MX-30 announced. 35.5 kWh, I think. Meh. Suicide doors worked on the RX-8, but I see no reason why they should exist on a crossover type thing. People with kids in car seats will walk right by this car, and rightly so.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My MIL bought my wife and me Ancestry.com DNA test kits a while ago. When I tested myself and got the results in March 2018 it placed me as 49% East Asian.

Well, they updated their algorithms for more specificity:

Who knew I was half-Japanese?!

Oh wait, everyone already did. Thank you for this insight, Ancestry.com

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Ancestry.com is run by the Mormons... so I'll probably baptized into the LDS once I die. They can have that, fine.
Good to know, eff them.

Big 8 acre park up by us that they own that locals use too, it's been there for 70 years. Clearly they must need a new fuel card for the Gulfstream as they're selling it and I'm sure a developer is going to try and stick a dozen houses on it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I am tempted to head up to A Basin Friday. $53 lift ticket… (I didn't do Ikon this year, just Copper.) Hmmmmm

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I dig it. Battery life is good enough, interface makes sense and isn't all super laggy like my Garmin Vivoactive HR, calendar/messaging functionality is very handy. The Sport Loop bands are comfortable--one is on in the photo. There's a native Strava app for the Watch itself, which is handy.

Only complaints:

- price
- screen scuffing (so get the stainless or titanium version--harder glass with that)
- not accurate via Slopes app for ski tracking, I've found out

My aluminum Series 4 is going by the wayside... only because I have a titanium Series 5 that should be coming in a few weeks.
I am super tempted but I am trying to get the company to pay for it and they would most likely only pay for the alu version unless I can pay the difference myself to the stainless.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Is it bad that I just went in Epic and placed these?

I added an additional test just now, for a fasting insulin level.

For my own reference, here is how to interpret these results:

Are You Insulin Resistant?

You show no insulin resistance if your Blood Code reveals:
  • Fasting glucose is between 75–95 mg/dL (4.2–5.3 mmol/L).
  • TG:HDL ratio is near 1.0, +/- 0.5.
  • Fasting insulin is between 3–8 uIU/mL (18–48 pmol/L).
  • HgbA1C level is less than 5.6% (<37 mmol/mol).
  • Glucose/insulin as HOMA-IR is near 1 (.5–1.5).
  • Your total body fat is <28% for men and <32% for women.

You show slight insulin resistance if you have two or more of the following:
  • Fasting glucose is greater than 95 mg/dL (5.3 mmol/L).
  • TG:HDL ratio is greater than 2.
  • Fasting insulin is greater than 8 uIU/mL (>48 pmol/L).
  • HgbA1C level is greater than 5.5% (>36 mmol/mol).
  • HOMA-IR is greater than 1.5.
  • The skin fold at your hip is greater than that at your triceps (by at least 5 mm).

You show moderate insulin resistance if you have three or more of the following:
  • Fasting glucose is greater than 100 mg/dL (>5.6 mmol/L).
  • TG:HDL ratio is 3 or greater.
  • Fasting insulin is greater than 10 uIU/mL (>60 pmol/L).
  • HgbA1C level is greater than 5.7% (>39 mmol/mol).
  • HOMA-IR is greater than 2.5.
  • The skin fold at your hip measures near twice that at your triceps.

You show severe insulin resistance if you have three or more of the following:
  • Fasting glucose is greater than 110 mg/dL (>6.1 mmol/L). Greater than 125 mg/dL (>7.0 mmol/L) is diabetes.*
  • TG:HDL ratio is greater than 4.
  • Fasting insulin is greater than 12 uIU/mL (>72 pmol/L).
  • HgbA1C level is greater than 6.0% (>42 mmol/mol). Greater than 6.4% (>46 mmol/mol) is diagnostic of diabetes.*
  • HOMA-IR is greater than 3.
  • The skin fold at your hip measures over twice that at your triceps.
HOMA-IR, in turn, is: