Quantcast

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Adjustable air suspension at all corners, so squatting to load, I'm guessing.
Yeah, I saw a longer video of the release.
It wasn't lowered to load, and did squat, but there's settings to compensate.

Don't know what they're thinking with that rear seat headroom/tiny window and angled bedsides/inability to add a rack/cap though.
Makes it useless for many truck users.
Doesn't look compatible with 5th wheel trailers either, which makes most of the towing claims irrelevant.

The faux rockstar wheel covers are dialed in at least.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Yeah, I saw a longer video of the release.
It wasn't lowered to load, and did squat, but there's settings to compensate.

Don't know what they're thinking with that rear seat headroom/tiny window and angled bedsides/inability to add a rack/cap though.
Makes it useless for many truck users.
Doesn't look compatible with 5th wheel trailers either, which makes most of the towing claims irrelevant.

The faux rockstar wheel covers are dialed in at least.
You make some admittedly good points. I wondered about 5th wheel compatibility myself.

Re headroom check out about 1:45 into this:

Dude in middle of back row says he's 6' 5". So there's just a metric shit-ton of headroom up front and enough in the back with that shape. Sightlines don't look too horrible either, but I'd certainly want to verify that myself.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
@dan-o

If it did squat when he drove up it wasn't a ton. I still favor lowered to lessen the ramp angle.

Edit: 12:00 to end

Elon specifically mentions "load mode". So lowered at the rear, yes.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
shut up and take my money!

LOL, seriously. that is god-awful. how high are they over at Tesla-land?
A mostly serious attempt at rationalizing a Tesla Cybertruck in my garage:

What do I want out of my vehicle, or vehicles?

Capability, both in terms of capacity and reliability to get me from point A to B no matter the conditions. Performance. Environmental soundness over its lifecycle. Uniqueness/amusement capability. A reasonable-ish price, and if high 5 figures then at least offset by cheap running costs.

My current two car set of the 3 and the Land Cruiser covers these goals ok when viewed in conjunction, albeit with the inconvenience of two vehicles with one parking spot allotted between the two, and with the Land Cruiser notably being neither green nor quick (but unique and capable!).

A Model Y would be a little short on capability and amusement value alike. It certainly couldn't pull a rented travel trailer, for instance, and would essentially be a tall Model 3. A Rivian would score high but would be quite expensive and kind of staid in a Range Rover kind of way, unless tank steer proves to be more awesome than foreseen.

A Cybertruck--3 motor, 10.8 second quarter mile version, please!--would be very capable, extremely fast, environmentally sound (recall that our electricity is all offset through a big solar farm 50 miles east of here), as unique as basically anything out there on the market, and at a reasonable enough price point. Plus it'll fit in my garage, if only barely.

Will I be jazzed about it come 2022 or 2023? Unclear. Hell, I don't know how I'll feel about it come tonight! :D But there's a case to be made for it...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Photos via Motor Trend. https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/cybertruck/2021/tesla-cybertruck-electric-pickup-photos-info/

Built in brotastic lightbar above windshield. Per Motor Trend's caption, "Off Road Lights" is the term. Brobar.

Those be 35" meats

Ridgeline style under-floor trunk storage

That funny looking "rearview mirror" is a display for a rear camera. This is good, otherwise rear sightlines would be akin to those in a Countach.

Who doesn't like a good ol' bench seat?

Manly center console if middle seat folded

Plenty wide for 3 kid car seats, IMO

Yup, still weird

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Aluminum roll up tonneau cover standard. This makes lots of sense from an airflow-reattaching point of view, and the abrupt sharp rear end is also for aero.

Just a small detail but NHSTA-compliant reflectors show that they are actually serious.

No dents.

Windows not so durable.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Capture.PNG

Capture 2.PNG

I have now loaned Tesla $100 interest free, in hopes they can use these "pre-orders" to drum up some good press to combat the stock price drive as of today. (No commitment to buy, fully refundable.)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Fortunately for Tesla, most truck buyers are not "truck users."

:D
But for those that actually are, the mid-range (and especially high end) Cybertruck stacks up very well against the relevant F-150 comparison, which would be of a SuperCrew 4x4 with the 3.5L EcoBoost. (One can get a payload over 3,000 on an F-150! If 5.0L, regular cab, 4x2, special extra payload package. :lol: Not what people buy.)

Footprint is very similar:

910144B0-533D-49F1-8FD8-82971403629D.jpeg

For reference re these highlighted numbers below the Cybertruck has a 3,500 lb payload on all trims, a 10,000 tow rating with the dual motor 300 mile $50k setup, and a 14,000 tow rating with the tri-motor 500 mile, $70k setup.

Source: https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content/dam/brand_ford/en_us/brand/resources/general/pdf/guides/19Towing_Ford_F150_Oct25.pdf

Relevant snippets:

In full disclosure I’m not quite sure how this last bit’s “maximum cargo capacity” specific to slide in campers differs from payload proper, but it seems nigh-identical to what I’ve looked up before for payload figures.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
For my amusement since I find the 7.3L V8 and 10 speed combo fascinating, and because the Tremor package yields similar bro-tires:

B4D40A3C-2316-4213-82A1-CD1C591931AD.jpeg

4F3BBB06-6029-4E02-998C-A082D4DE956D.jpeg

The 1,333 lb payload on the F-250 Tremor with the diesel yet with only the 9,900 GVWR is pitiful! :D (I would assume they would sell 0 of that particular setup. Hopefully. Recall that payload includes passengers as well.)

Point of this is that for the top end Cybertruck as compared to a 7.3L gas Tremor F-250 14,000 towing and 3,500 payload are still competitive. Note that I cherry picked this due to my own peculiar interests (diesel + DEF + emissions systems breaking is just not attractive at all), admittedly. Also note that “even” a 159.7” wheelbase F-250 crew cab is 250” long and thus would definitely not fit in my garage!

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
But for those that actually are, the mid-range (and especially high end) Cybertruck stacks up very well against the relevant F-150 comparison, which would be of a SuperCrew 4x4 with the 3.5L EcoBoost. (One can get a payload over 3,000 on an F-150! If 5.0L, regular cab, 4x2, special extra payload package. :lol: Not what people buy.)

Footprint is very similar:

View attachment 138785

For reference re these highlighted numbers below the Cybertruck has a 3,500 lb payload on all trims, a 10,000 tow rating with the dual motor 300 mile $50k setup, and a 14,000 tow rating with the tri-motor 500 mile, $70k setup.

Source: https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content/dam/brand_ford/en_us/brand/resources/general/pdf/guides/19Towing_Ford_F150_Oct25.pdf

Relevant snippets:

In full disclosure I’m not quite sure how this last bit’s “maximum cargo capacity” specific to slide in campers differs from payload proper, but it seems nigh-identical to what I’ve looked up before for payload figures.
Fortunately for Ford, most F150 buyers are not "truck users." :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
B4F83B4C-876C-48DD-ABD4-D000DA2D9F33.jpeg

All set for skiing on Wednesday. Nokians on the bottom, roof rack back on up top.

(Can’t fit a ski bag inside when set up with one kid in the 3rd row and the 2nd row with kid 2/baby/wife across. She wanted to sit by the baby.)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I met with my department chairman this afternoon, to relay that I do not covet the VP of Informatics position. (I’d hung out with said VP all day this past Tuesday, and was horribly bored with the schedule of all meetings, all day. Not the life I want.)

But I did idly pitch that I’d potentially go for a more actual work/research less meetings hybrid position wherein I could concentrate a bit on AI research. So maybe that’ll move forward, or not.

In any case, we did get to chat about vehicles as well, at least. He had a Denali crewcab short bed pickup that didn’t fit in his garage and was thus traded in at 1,700 miles of age.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Spotted this Pinzgauer at the movie theater parking lot last night. Wife did not clear me to purchase and drive such a thing.

:(

(Or is that a Haflinger? Hmm. I don’t know.)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
He needs to quit calling this type of vehicle a "pickup"...

What bed do you have? 6.5’? 8’?

The Tesla’s “vault”/bed is 6.5’ long with that built in retractable tonneau cover, yet because of not having the big engine bay up front is 0.2” shorter than an F-150 crew cab with the 5.5’ bed…

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
What bed do you have? 6.5’? 8’?
Former - and it's actually not large enough to go camping in Moab for a week with 5 people, 5 bikes, and all associated camping shit. We had to borrow a 4-bike hitch rack.

I don't believe that you can get a super-crew F150 with an 8' bed. You can get Ford Super Duty pickups in that config, I think...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Former - and it's actually not large enough to go camping in Moab for a week with 5 people, 5 bikes, and all associated camping shit. We had to borrow a 4-bike hitch rack.

I don't believe that you can get a super-crew F150 with an 8' bed. You can get Ford Super Duty pickups in that config, I think...
Yeah, I think you’re right. The F-150 choices iirc for the crew cab are 5.5’ and 6.5’.

5.5’ is at least longer than the Rivian R1T’s 4.5’! That’s like Explorer Sport Trac or Subaru Baja territory. (The Rivian has an extra storage compartment at the front of the otherwise-bed that takes up some room, but still sad.)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Yeah, I think you’re right. The F-150 choices iirc for the crew cab are 5.5’ and 6.5’.

5.5’ is at least longer than the Rivian R1T’s 4.5’! That’s like Explorer Sport Trac or Subaru Baja territory. (The Rivian has an extra storage compartment at the front of the otherwise-bed that takes up some room, but still sad.)
Srsly - those fucking short-beds are basically COMPLETELY consumed if you have 4 bikes on the tailgate. I mean... they're functionally useless beds, IMNSHO.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The built in cover actually seems like a really good solution in terms of covered storage while remaining useful for bulky items.

With standard beds one must either run a cap and never carry anything higher than roofline, a tonneau and deal with inconvenience or not being able to carry things higher than bed rail-height, or deal with the bad aerodynamics. (Not that it’s much better even with a tonneau—one of the reasons why the Cybertruck has the long linear rear part of its triangular shape is to allow airflow to reattach to it, prior to the abrupt Kamm-type back end.)

Anyway, the vault cover, if you will:

Skip to 10 seconds in to avoid the bro-dude annoyingness.

For true work-truck uses the Avalanche-style flying buttresses would make reaching in for a toolbox a huge pain in the ass, but that’s not my problem.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Bed of my Ute's pretty damn short, like 4.5ft max, and it handles 7 bikes on the tailgate and them one more (pedal on cab side removed) between them and the cab?
Naw - I'm talking about the *rest* of the bed. Once you have about 4 bikes on the tailgate, there's no bed left to put anything else in.

Can you Kiwis even GET a full size (6.5') bed on a pickup?