Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Got most of my return done tonight in TurboTax.

Still awaiting a 1098 from Bank of America for my refinanced-away-from-them mortgage, plus awaiting the Feb 18 date after which TurboTax will be able to import my transactions from Betterment.

Looks like I will end up having loaned the Feds about $2,500 and the state about $1,200, despite not having bought any tax-credit-eligible EVs the whole tax year!

:wtf:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I've now owned the Tesla for 13 months and 4 days! I'm sure this has surprised you all.

As a thought experiment, to recreate it* at today's prices would cost $60,190 + TTL, ignoring local incentives for a national sale. If I really want to buckle down and get a condo sooner rather than later selling it and reverting to the Land Cruiser probably would be a good idea, but the resale market still seems far too soft:

Note that most of those listings don't have FSD or the Acceleration Upgrade. In any case, it shall likely live on in my garage for another year.

* 3, LR AWD + Acceleration Upgrade + FSD, gray over black, 18" aero wheels, including destination

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

I don't get how 10 days of a timeshare at a prepper site that's not actually fortified would actually help one out at all if the shit really hit the fan.
LOL, wut?

Do you get kicked out when your week is over even if the zombies are wandering the radiated wastes?

edit:
somewhere west of Colorado Springs
God damnit...........

For those not ready to dive into full membership, there’s a cryptocurrency Miller calls a Fortitude Token. It affords the holder benefits like a membership discount or priority registration should something in the news cause a sudden spike in demand. Whichever way they approach it, members can leave the “prepping” to Miller.
:rofl:

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Today's thought experiment: Should I buy some more solar panels for my house?

Arithmetic section for the bored:

Status quo is of 2.6 kW prepaid leased SolarCity PV on the roof. Actual production from said 2.6 kW nominal power of panels last 12 months was 3,583 kWh, or 9.81 kWh/day. Additional context is of us having a PHEV and a BEV and thus pulling 18,701 kWh net the same past 12 months, or 51.2 kWh/day.

Tesla Energy has pretty transparent pricing, as opposed to many another vendor. I can't get a straight answer from them whether they could work around the SolarCity system, integrate with it, or otherwise, but let's use them for pricing since they're a known quantity.

Tesla has 4 power ("solar size") options:

- 3.8 kW
- 7.6 kW
- 11.4 kW
- 15.2 kW

Extrapolating from my 2.6 kW's actual energy output (at my roof's inclination and orientation, with Denver's weather, etc.), that'd be the following kWh per year:

- 5,236 kWh
- 10,472 kWh
- 15,708 kWh (which passes a sanity test as compared to their quoted range: "In Colorado, a 11.4kW system generates approximately 13,857-17,702 kWh per year, and the average price of electricity is $0.119 per kWh")
- 20,944 kWh
Based off of the above math I'd want the 11.4 kW, or "Large solar size", system since overproduction doesn't pay well in my utility's system, I believe. For that Large system they're charging $25,000 pre-Federal tax credit, with a written promise via a rep that for transactions dated 2/14/20 and before they're taking an extra 4% off to make up for the Fed credit dropping from 30% for 2019 to 26% this year.

Ignoring state and local sales tax, that'd be $24,000 for said 11.4 kW, or $2.11/installed W. That's pretty good historically for residential installations. I don't know how much the other outfits are running these days because their pricing is totally opaque (e.g. Sunrun, which won't touch a roof that already has another installation, or Namasté Solar).

At 11.9 cents/kWh the generated electricity would save me $1,869 per year. (Xcel Energy would also generously kick in an extra $78/year in RECs, for what little that's worth.) Tesla Energy's offered financing is $0 down, 20 years, 4.99% APR, which would work out to be $2,038 per year if the Federal tax credit is averaged over all 240 payments. 4.99% actually is better than what Lightstream is offering for that size and term, if you're wondering.

Anyway, the point here is that the net cost to me with financing the system would be about $90 per year, and in exchange at the end of 20 years I'd have 11.4 kW of owned panels, therefore increasing my home's value. (And if electricity price went up in the meantime I'd be insulated.)

Cliffs Notes: I think this will be worth it.

I'm going to give Namasté until Monday to tell me if they can work with the SolarCity panels and if they can beat $2.11/W, and will otherwise give Tesla some more business.

(NB: Note lack of Powerwalls in the above math. Those are $6,500 per 13.5 kWh unit with $1,100 fixed "supporting hardware" costs regardless of number of units. The benefit of those would be power during our infrequent grid outages, and time of use pricing. The average benefit we would derive if we could shift half our electricity use to off-peak would be roughly 4 cents/kWh. Therefore payback time ignoring finance charges would be about 15 years. I don't see that as being worth it, especially since we could balloon our bill if not enough energy use was time-shifted.)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
For @Westy ’s co-worker: I verified today that the Long Range pack on the Model 3 is warranteed for 8 years or 125k miles at 70% nominal capacity.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
35AFDC7D-E595-460D-887D-5C5004BDE2AF.jpeg

Process now underway after putting down $100 (refundable). 3 mo utility bills, homeowner’s policy, and a bunch of photos of the meter(s in my case as I already have a PV net metering setup) and panels uploaded online.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Very cool!

The government removed all the incentives when it all of a sudden got really popular to install solar so it does not make sense to have solar unfortunately not that I am giving up the dream at least some plans for the garage.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
IMG_2158.JPEG

Toyota deliberately did not put HIDs (or, later, LEDs) on the Land Cruiser because of heat. Halogen bulbs generate enough heat to self-clear, as I experienced above on Monday.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
An update on my continual insanity: I don't think I'll end up getting a Cybertruck. (Or a Rivian, or a GMC Hummer EV.)

As I mused about last week I'm pretty much locked into the 3 for the time being due to the resale market, not to mention that my wife wouldn't like me getting rid of it in the near term. She very much enjoys driving it around whenever the kid-carting situation allows for its use, and it indeed is very good for what it is, which is a small-ish car.

There's also the background noise that having a condo in the mountains would increase my family's quality of life more than any Cybertruck or the like, although my near-5 year old is still enamored with the concept of it as an all-electric off-roader. Traffic to the ski areas on the weekends around here is doing nothing but increasing, and being able to head up Friday night, ski all day Saturday, ski a few runs Sunday morning and then head back lazily at noon would be fantastic.

I do not make enough money to do everything at once (and can't make significantly more here in Denver so as to hasten this) so I must therefore prioritize and let time pass. This is my rough current list of priorities:

1. Pay off student loans
  2. Pay off current vehicle loans
  3. On-mountain condo, having reverted to Winter Park since the tunnel really is that bad
  4. BEV minivan like a VW ID Buzz to replace PacHy
  5. Pay off mortgage(s, if condo materializes) earlier than term
  6. BEV Land Cruiser-equivalent, like a Cybertruck or its ilk
Goals 1-2 are 4 years out or less. Then that'll enable condo-age. Everything 4 and below is secondary.

The fate of the Tesla will either be to be sold outright prior to buying a condo when the depreciation curve has flattened out a bit and we've extracted much use from it, if I need to free up some cash at that point in time, or to stick around until/if the PacHy gets replaced with a VW ID Buzz (or Chrysler Portal) post-condo.

Cliffs Notes: Cybertruck reservation officially canceled

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Damn it I was looking forward to some good EV truck info from you. If the current tax rules in Denmark continues I think Model Y would be a very interesting choice for me in two years time.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Capture.PNG

From this I can extrapolate that eating at Thai restaurants is associated with being a cultured, intelligent person

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Today's thought experiment: Should I buy some more solar panels for my house?

Arithmetic section for the bored:

Based off of the above math I'd want the 11.4 kW, or "Large solar size", system since overproduction doesn't pay well in my utility's system, I believe. For that Large system they're charging $25,000 pre-Federal tax credit, with a written promise via a rep that for transactions dated 2/14/20 and before they're taking an extra 4% off to make up for the Fed credit dropping from 30% for 2019 to 26% this year.

Ignoring state and local sales tax, that'd be $24,000 for said 11.4 kW, or $2.11/installed W. That's pretty good historically for residential installations. I don't know how much the other outfits are running these days because their pricing is totally opaque (e.g. Sunrun, which won't touch a roof that already has another installation, or Namasté Solar).

At 11.9 cents/kWh the generated electricity would save me $1,869 per year. (Xcel Energy would also generously kick in an extra $78/year in RECs, for what little that's worth.) Tesla Energy's offered financing is $0 down, 20 years, 4.99% APR, which would work out to be $2,038 per year if the Federal tax credit is averaged over all 240 payments. 4.99% actually is better than what Lightstream is offering for that size and term, if you're wondering.

Anyway, the point here is that the net cost to me with financing the system would be about $90 per year, and in exchange at the end of 20 years I'd have 11.4 kW of owned panels, therefore increasing my home's value. (And if electricity price went up in the meantime I'd be insulated.)

Cliffs Notes: I think this will be worth it.

I'm going to give Namasté until Monday to tell me if they can work with the SolarCity panels and if they can beat $2.11/W, and will otherwise give Tesla some more business.

(NB: Note lack of Powerwalls in the above math. Those are $6,500 per 13.5 kWh unit with $1,100 fixed "supporting hardware" costs regardless of number of units. The benefit of those would be power during our infrequent grid outages, and time of use pricing. The average benefit we would derive if we could shift half our electricity use to off-peak would be roughly 4 cents/kWh. Therefore payback time ignoring finance charges would be about 15 years. I don't see that as being worth it, especially since we could balloon our bill if not enough energy use was time-shifted.)
11.9 cents per kw? Thats pretty cheap..

Its around $18.2/kw for our mostly hydro power here.
Prices have been going up, and will probably grow at a higher-than-inflation pace worldwide; given the trends of energy consumption.
I should buy utilities stock, btw.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
It only when we have to visit the wife's sister who lives as west as you can get littleraly in the bluffs of the west coast and as far away from charging as you can get that it would be a big hassle and we have to then travel to friends after that again along a route with no good charging and no Tesla Super Chargers.
Isn't there a quick charger in Middlefart?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Isn't there a quick charger in Middlefart?
Yes, I think I would be possible with some consideration and extra wait time. I think the whole charging network could be made smarter like it should be possible to rent out your home charger. Anyway I am pretty set on getting an EV next time and just find a way to make it work. In this situation its just difficult driving from Copenhagne to Hvide Sande and staying there for some hours and then to Hinnerup after that and back to copenhagen the next morning.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
4 days after my initial order the design is apparently ready for approval

Capture.PNG

Except that their site is broken tonight and I can't actually get past this spinny wheel thing. But that's an excellent pace.

@6thElement s: assuming the rest of this goes as planned this was an excellent price and a good workflow, all online.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
4 days after my initial order the design is apparently ready for approval

View attachment 140755

Except that their site is broken tonight and I can't actually get past this spinny wheel thing. But that's an excellent pace.

@6thElement s: assuming the rest of this goes as planned this was an excellent price and a good workflow, all online.
Will chat with you next time I see you. This time of year we'd get zero output quite frequently as our roof has 18" of snowpack.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
C8BBF0DE-597D-4057-A867-D2AC5BAE5CA9.jpeg
BDAD2E27-A9E8-45C0-8433-FDCB0CE7BF07.jpeg

Dirty air filters in my tankless water heaters, since cleaned.

8A6C0299-FB3A-4539-A69C-017B1D6E459B.jpeg

Charmin is srs bzness. Also note the fabled Toto Washlet.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
@Nick, thoughts on the Woodsman 116?

Do you have a pair? I wonder if they'd be stiff enough for what I appear to like.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
@Nick, thoughts on the Woodsman 116?

Do you have a pair? I wonder if they'd be stiff enough for what I appear to like.
I have a pair of 108s in the garage.
(LOL @ myself)
What's your bsl?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
bindings mounted for 315 so you'll fit, albiet a few mm front of recommended. They're super fun and you're welcome to take them out anytime. Not as stiff as Wrenegades, but def not noodles. (I don't like soft skis)
Meet up for a day at Loveland? I have a Loveland Pass Card now so am amenable to going there. Feb 19 next week?

If a hard snow day you can try my beloved metal Mantras--I've got demo plates on the bindings so that'll be super easy.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Meet up for a day at Loveland? I have a Loveland Pass Card now so am amenable to going there. Feb 19 next week?

If a hard snow day you can try my beloved metal Mantras--I've got demo plates on the bindings so that'll be super easy.
that's possible, maybe for a couple of am hours. I'll let you know.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

48423F2B-3A27-48B1-AD74-9E11AB6361D1.png

My family’s fleet’s MPGe is higher yet since we have PV on the roof (soon a lot more!) and offset grid power with wind RECs.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
(Meanwhile I got a calculated 16.5 mpg in the Land Cruiser over the last two round trips to Copper. Not bad for something officially rated 12/15 in the post-2008 recalibrated EPA scale, iirc.)