Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I wonder if you will be able to fill it with batteries for 500 mile range, and some camping power.
I bet version one will have a 120 mile range. And that will be just fine for Amazon delivery routes and the like.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hmmn.
Just saw that. Here is the more informative original press release:

My takeaways:

- LG Chem joint venture for pack style cells
- cells to be assembled into 400 or 800V packs taking 200 and 350 kW DC fast charging
- Bolt mid cycle refresh first with adaptive cruise, then Bolt EUV (CUV type thing sounds like) on a new platform, then many that spawn from that platform

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L Plus. 13,000 miles, rented from Enterprise at OGG.

Pros:

- good power from Pentastar plus 9 speed
- power doors and hatch, and heated seats and wheel would be nice were we not in Hawaii
- fully usable third row: have had two small adults and a kid in a booster there for multiple trips

Cons:

- something is very wrong with this particular van’s brakes: think pedal to firewall with a hissing/cavitation sound intermittently. I’m getting Enterprise to drive me out a new one and tow this one away after the second time this happened. It is fine until 50% pedal travel or so but then intermittently nearly nothing after there.
- calibration on 9 speed is terrible around town. Jerky in first gear and far too aggressive mapping on tip in.
- 2017 era Uconnect is much worse than the 2018-onward iteration

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
6C659285-516B-4359-9893-F758E3A3085F.jpeg

The pending 3/11 HW3/FSD computer upgrade for my Model 3 seems to be timely.

Then again, such FSD features have been promised for a few years running now, always just around the corner…

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Some nice turns in there. Snow looks very warm and soft, though—maybe an artifact of the video?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So my back pocket plan that I’ve shared with y’all is to emigrate to New Zealand if Trump II materializes, reading telerads. Well, I looked into it more last night and it turns out that Medicare rules dictate that final reads on US patients can only be issued on US soil, with the place where the radiologist is located being the key sticking point there.

My current payor mix is 42% Medicare and Medicaid, iirc. Therefore this won’t fly. If I were to emigrate I’d need to work locally—which is what NZ would want for their interests anyway.

In summary, the bar to emigration is thus higher, so I shall continue to sit in I-70 ski traffic for the foreseeable future.

fini

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
This meeting has been useful for me to refresh what motivates me:

- dressing at the lowest acceptable formality level for a given event
- autonomy (in the non-automotive sense, of flexibility in my work and research)
- non-work activities: skiing, biking, music
- family time, especially when combined with the above
- focused problems to solve, like of what I perceive my department’s pressing problem of not having remote reading ability wrt covid-19

What does not motivate me:

- leadership positions in and of themselves, inclusive of being on panel discussions at these events (usually with a suit! although some have been bold and gone with Hawaiian shirts even as presenters)
- money in and of itself if not furthering one of my core values above
- working at the pace of the lowest common denominator in an unfocused recurring meeting (see my Vice Chair of Informatics for a day experiment a few months ago)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Local post office is running their autocross course for mail van training today.

:D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Tesla dropped off. They have 22 cars in the queue ahead of me (for a scheduled appointment—they’re just behind!).

When it comes due in the queue the physical FSD computer installation is quick but the guy said the associated firmware update can take up to half a day (!).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Latest test results are a mixed bag. My liver is still fatty and potentially a bit stiff (which is not good), and I am slightly more insulin resistant than in December 2019. But most parameters are nominal.

Highlights:

Insulin 11 uIU/mL, which in conjunction with a fasting glucose of 93 mg/dL gives the following HOMA2-IR:

Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 12.30.37 PM.png

(So I'm 70% as insulin sensitive as the normal value, but have 114% beta cell function, so my pancreas is compensating to keep me normoglycemic.)

C reactive protein of 2.2 mg/L, which is up from 1.1 in December. Lower is better assuming no active infection or the like.

LFTs all normal. They were all normal on 1/21/20 as well. AST was elevated until the 12/18/19 labs, and ALT remained slightly elevated until 1/21/20.

My liver MR showed a fat fraction about 9% (5% and lower normal), so my liver is fatty. Stiffness is also about 3 kPA, with normal somewhere up to 2.5-2.8 kPA. I'll probably end up doing a virtual consultation with the hepatologists to see if they're concerned about these two values–my guess is not given normal LFTs but we'll see.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My wife is pulling the kids from school starting tomorrow. They have spring break starting March 30 so at least through the end of break, I'm thinking.

In keeping with this we're canceling the kids' combined birthday party on Sunday, not having them go to a friend's party on Saturday, and canceled planned skiing on March 22, 28, and April 1-5.

We have a nominally non-refundable condo rental April 1-5 at Copper--I reached out to the owner to see if they would be accommodating given the circumstances, but if I eat that cost then so be it.