Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Wonder how much an “investment” of 73k in 1997 would yield today.
VTI went from $57.79 to $223.80 over the last 20 years and 5 months, the max history I can find for that ticker. So the crude math is $283k from that original $73k.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The already-paid-for appraisal for the 2.990% application came back today. $935k as it currently stands: with the AC and interior repaint accounted for, but with the old/busted deck finishes, in particular.

:notbadobama:

So assuming appraisal 2 (for the 2.375% application that's the only one still active now) comes back the same then there'll be no issues with this refi, as the current loan balance is therefore ~75% LTV.
Appraisal 2 came back today... at a cool million flat.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

GM Ultra Cruise. "At this point, GM isn’t providing any details about which vehicles will launch U[l]tra Cruise or the cost, but the upcoming Cadillac Celestiq electric flagship sedan seems like a likely candidate."

Level 2 hands-free-but-attention-on driver assist, with driver monitoring a la Super Cruise.

Has LIDAR, which is kind of a big deal for a mainstream offering! "Cepton has a fully solid state lidar system that uses micro-motion technology to steer the laser beam."

Greater scope of operation: "Like Super Cruise, the new system is also geofenced but it now includes 2 million miles of paved roads of all types including suburban and urban streets."

Likely Qualcomm 5 nm processor. This is not just nerd-relevant detail, but is instead highly relevant in this age of chip shortages. The foundries that don't have enough capacity are for old-ass 60, 90 nm or whatever semiconductors. On a 5 nm process there won't be such shortages. Good call, GM + subcontractors.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

GM Ultra Cruise. "At this point, GM isn’t providing any details about which vehicles will launch U[l]tra Cruise or the cost, but the upcoming Cadillac Celestiq electric flagship sedan seems like a likely candidate."

Level 2 hands-free-but-attention-on driver assist, with driver monitoring a la Super Cruise.

Has LIDAR, which is kind of a big deal for a mainstream offering! "Cepton has a fully solid state lidar system that uses micro-motion technology to steer the laser beam."

Greater scope of operation: "Like Super Cruise, the new system is also geofenced but it now includes 2 million miles of paved roads of all types including suburban and urban streets."

Likely Qualcomm 5 nm processor. This is not just nerd-relevant detail, but is instead highly relevant in this age of chip shortages. The foundries that don't have enough capacity are for old-ass 60, 90 nm or whatever semiconductors. On a 5 nm process there won't be such shortages. Good call, GM + subcontractors.

Automotive chip shortage isn't just an "old tech" problem. Automotive industries obsession with Just In Time Inventory bit them in the ass when the carried no inventory and cancelled orders during peak covid shut downs. When they finally got around to ordering them again they put in the back of a slow moving line.

But they saved a lot of money not investing in inventory on those tiny $0.50 parts.

The planned obsolescence of the consumer electronics industry also causes havoc with more industrial style electronics. There is zero need for newer smaller or more powerful chips in a lot of circumstances. The CANbus controllers in cars that handle things like lights, locks and mirrors don't need to be microscopic or fast, just reliable. Being forced to upgrade just drives cost. The retirement of the x86 chip platform wreaked havoc in a lot of industries that had zero need for anything better.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Good points. But planning on availability in the sense of "do there still exist enough foundries in the world for this size process?" should also be part of their decision-making. Can't stamp out the old Lada bodies forever.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 8.31.05 PM.png

Gonna get my haul on. One of the two logistics companies handling actual delivery of Costco.com-sourced furniture is just horrible to work with. Changing delivery dates, wide time ranges where they want someone around, etc.

I can't accommodate their changes, so am going to have one of the furniture items (a sofa + loveseat power recliner set) delivered to Denver instead. Then I'll haul it up to the mountains myself with a box trailer behind the Land Cruiser.

$30 is super cheap! And no mileage fee being a trailer and all. 4 pin connector, 2" ball required, and surge brakes only on the trailer so no use for my fancy trailer brake controller. Bonus is that the Land Cruiser will be much, much better to drive and infinitely quieter than that box van from May.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
03AA72F1-E150-48ED-9723-A51FF06844C1.jpeg

Built it up last night. It is super heavy. Maybe 85 lb? Lots of gyroscopic stability as speculated about above.

Speed limiter can be user set. Came stock as 20 mph, class 2 as there’s also a throttle, but can be set higher (like to the class 3 28 mph limit). I set the limit to 35 mph but its aerodynamics and rolling resistance meant 30 mph on flat ground with vigorous pedaling was all that was achievable. Gearing is adequate for those speeds, which is good since over 20 mph one is compelled to use pedal assist mode (with torque sensing) only.

I will likely end up commuting on it in the 20-25 mph range most of the time.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
@Nick how much should I ask for these, and what forum to sell them? Thanks in advance. 2015-2015 Volkl Mantra. 177 cm, Marker bindings on demo plates.

DD35144C-064B-497C-A3B1-25A009D3015A.jpeg
EE60972E-D50A-4608-9CB7-05F1F273029E.jpeg

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Mariko did all the climbs at the Mt Carbon loop. She is still nervous descending on loose dirt.

6B8ED0E2-8A83-459B-9FF0-4ACE342DA5B5.jpeg
5EEE3DC0-2754-490A-9B52-D1B744C376B1.jpeg
4EA8EF9C-0FB5-42D6-9103-28A9BE8D8C84.jpeg

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
View attachment 165837

Built it up last night. It is super heavy. Maybe 85 lb? Lots of gyroscopic stability as speculated about above.

Speed limiter can be user set. Came stock as 20 mph, class 2 as there’s also a throttle, but can be set higher (like to the class 3 28 mph limit). I set the limit to 35 mph but its aerodynamics and rolling resistance meant 30 mph on flat ground with vigorous pedaling was all that was achievable. Gearing is adequate for those speeds, which is good since over 20 mph one is compelled to use pedal assist mode (with torque sensing) only.

I will likely end up commuting on it in the 20-25 mph range most of the time.

First errands run on the hulking commuter e-bike.

Better efficiency than expected. Just under 25 Wh/mi, and that's hustling along.

Good cruising ability at 25-27 mph in gear 8 of 9. Good enough climbing ability in gear 1 even with that mammoth 52t chainring.

Responsiveness of torque sensing hub drive setup not nearly on par with my Pivot’s Shimano mid drive but workable. Long overrun after stopping pedaling, in particular, and while it feels better than my wife's e-trike's cadence only setup it feels only about halfway between that and the smooth mid drive.

High bars comfy but up in the wind. 25 mph will be realistic, and that feels plenty fast.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Why can't we sort out some kind of progressive property tax?

"Sure, sir - you *can* have a house like this. Nobody is saying you can't. But the property taxes are going to be $250K/year."

Did you even look at the tax history? Last year they paid a bit over $15K. WTAF? :disgust1: