Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Maybe next winter. We do have the giant storage area downstairs, but getting them downstairs seems a pain.

All of the cushions are now inside, at least, and I have the dining set chairs stacked 4 high so as to not fly off in the wind.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
After the crowds and traffic this holiday weekend we have decided that we shall be skipping this New Year’s-adjacent weekend next year.

(It was a weekend where the kids had their Devo session, but we can skip 1 of 14, plus Christmas through New Years is actually a block where the house would rent out for good $. If it’s all done and ready to go by then, that is. :D)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Berthoud got some snow

Just opened up WB (to WP) and EB alike now!

US40243North.jpg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
But with meh range for the price
You're not going to get your 12 hour driving range EV any time soon. :D

But as long as the ID.4 AWD is ~$50k for 200+ miles of range I'm getting one, as it'd work for our use case even accounting for delays and the sundry effects of the cold and snow: around Denver and Denver -> mountains (with 10 kW EVSE in both garages).

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

But as long as the ID.4 AWD is ~$50k for 200+ miles of range I'm getting one, as it'd work for our use case even accounting for delays and the sundry effects of the cold and snow: around Denver and Denver -> mountains (with 10 kW EVSE in both garages).
Sheeeit - I can't even get 12 hours of range out my F150 with the ginormous fuel tank. :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

It has the same range as the significantly cheaper leaf, yeah it is a bigger car but similar offerings like the Mach-e offer 10-20% more range.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I shoveled most of the snow and ice off of the deck

All by myself

didn’t fall off even

It sure was heavy after packing down on itself over the past few days

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
If I'm going to work at this increased pace then I want something for it. So I'll poke my nose around. What I'd like:

- 100% remote daytime work
- cases all within my subspecialty
- productivity-based compensation, such that I make at least as much as I do now from day 1
- not horrible call schedule for weekend coverage, ideally none at all if I can swing that
I've started my search in earnest, as my work buddy has abandoned ship herself. She's going to a local private practice come July. 4 days working per week (3 of those 4 days from home), 12 weeks vacation, 5 weekends call coverage.

I asked said private practice to send me a proposal for 5 days per week, 12 weeks vacation, 6 weekends call coverage so that I can compare. (This private practice also has shareholder/partner track positions for the big $, but that involves more work than I care to do, frankly, and would have multiple days per week where I'd be commuting to Loveland or Ft Collins in person. No thanks. I value my quality of life, and such a position would compromise it greatly.)

The comparisons will be to various and sundry remote-only outfits that I reached out to today. I have about a dozen requests for contact out to both teleradiology-only companies and regular practices that have posted remote-kosher positions on our field's job board. I predict many emails and voicemails tomorrow.

I have a spreadsheet to sort things out mentally, of course, because that's how I roll.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I worked 196 days last year. Also took 5 sick days. But many of these days were broken up as working a half day, etc. so not useful for skiing in particular.

Nevertheless, should I jump ship I will be looking for at least 12 nominal weeks of vacation (assuming similar numbers of weekends covered as now, which is 5 per year).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Upon discussion of details with a 100% teleradiology company and an associate (non-partner) track position at a local private practice it seems like the grass is not greener, at least not in those particular fields. Thus I may be in the position of trying to negotiate improvements in my work environment at my current employer. Annual review is imminent so I will voice my grievances there.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Upon discussion of details with a 100% teleradiology company and an associate (non-partner) track position at a local private practice it seems like the grass is not greener, at least not in those particular fields. Thus I may be in the position of trying to negotiate improvements in my work environment at my current employer. Annual review is imminent so I will voice my grievances there.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Travel trailers with their own big LiPo packs are already a thing. Adding a traction motor and some control software is the next step.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Booked a demo ski rental at Epic Aurora for my Wednesday ski day. Given no new snow and wife and middle kid along that day it’ll be a 100% groomer day.

I don’t get to pre-specify what I want when booking the demo, but they have a lot of skis and stock Volkl, K2, Blizzard, Rossignol, Salomon, and Nordica. I demoed my K2 Mindbender 108 Ti skis there before buying my own pair via REI.

Models I’ll be on the lookout for when I pick out a pair Tuesday late afternoon:

K2 Disruption MTI or 78Ti
Volkl Deacon Master 72 and 76, Mantra M6
Blizzard Thunderbird 15, Brahma 82 or 88
Nordica Doberman Spitfire 72
Rossignol React R8 Ti

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Contractor says the railings should be up by Sunday. Or Tuesday. But in any case early next week.

That'd be nice if true. :-o

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Guess we can add "radiologist" to the list of good jobs in 2021/2022. Is there anything else on that list at this point?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Models I’ll be on the lookout for when I pick out a pair Tuesday late afternoon:

K2 Disruption MTI or 78Ti
Volkl Deacon Master 72 and 76, Mantra M6
Blizzard Thunderbird 15, Brahma 82 or 88
Nordica Doberman Spitfire 72
Rossignol React R8 Ti
Slim pickings of pretty beat up looking skis at this point at Epic Aurora. But I did find a pair of Blizzard Brahma 82 at least.

Here’s the spec breakdown via Blister on the v3 88 mm width version (by color scheme my rental is a near-current 2020-2021 v3 model):

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Bodes well for your daughter. But simultaneously perhaps not a great reflection on college freshman?

When in grad school I had to do a group paper with a handful of other students. I volunteered to perform the final editing. I was in my late 30s everyone else was in their early 20s. Their writing was borderline unintelligible and it was quite the chore to correct. I had a lot of respect for everyone's abilities and wondered if my writing was as bad when I was at that age. I went back and read some of my old papers and yes it was just as bad. However engineers have never exactly valued writing skills.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Slim pickings of pretty beat up looking skis at this point at Epic Aurora. But I did find a pair of Blizzard Brahma 82 at least.

Here’s the spec breakdown via Blister on the v3 88 mm width version (by color scheme my rental is a near-current 2020-2021 v3 model):

I owned brahma 88s, they were fun.
Have you considered a slalom ski?
I have a pair of enforcer 93s you can take out if you'd like. Super capable and fun, turny, not noodles. No appreciable speed limit.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I owned brahma 88s, they were fun.
Have you considered a slalom ski?
I have a pair of enforcer 93s you can take out if you'd like. Super capable and fun, turny, not noodles. No appreciable speed limit.
I’ll take you up on that if the BSL works out with your binding spacing. I think my boots are 306 mm.

Many of the ones I was looking for were more racy yet than these Brahmas. These should be a decent test of whether I like this class in general as they are 15 m radius at 173 cm, I believe.