Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Interesting. Straight-6 engines and new PHEV architecture with 30+ miles of electric range. RWD based platform with double wishbones up front, too, so might even handle for a box! This one in question isn't coming to our shores, but the 3 row CX-90 will be.

I shall test drive one of these when it comes out.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Looks like Steamboat *could* get some business out of this business... :fingerscrossed:
I have a preplanned ski day with the wife this Thursday. Seems like it might align quite nicely with this storm. :)

A good day to be out and about in the Land Cruiser, it shall be.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Looking back over the past few pages I see that I have neglected to do a financial summary of my mountain home ownership thus far. Let's remedy that.

But first, some sundry updates:

- HOA hasn't given me any more flack re deck or railing so I assume that's resolved?
- all deck work is done save for the dumpster still being there mysteriously
- still have a few more small furniture things/light fixture things to get done this upcoming weekend for Vacasa's tastes
- swallow bug mitigation will end up costing me $3,300, with work scheduled for 3/14 (140F heat, chemicals) and 3/28 (more chemicals)
- one of the two bizarre design Wayne Dalton I-Drive garage door openers crapped out so getting a regular garage door opener installed on 3/15. They're the ones that are basically built into a torsion spring.
Whew.

Per my spreadsheet--yes, this project deserves a spreadsheet--my costs (inclusive of utilities, property taxes for the whole year, mortgage interest, home insurance, the deck/swallows/swallow bug mitigation) are a bit over $155k. That includes a $4k check back from the power utility for putting in a 4 ton heat pump, and $1,036.97 in credits from them towards the EVSE + wiring for it.

I'm claiming most of the above expenses as startup costs for a schedule C business, on the other hand, so will be getting close to $30k back in Federal tax refunds. I think the latest number was $27k and change for that refund.

The house also has appreciated $238k from our purchase price per its latest appraisal for the refinance (down to 2.375% fixed x 30 years with 0.875 pt paid).

Rental income has been 0 thus far. We've "rented" it to friends a few weekends in exchange for them covering my estimate of cleaning fees, and I'm not even sure what those fees have been as Vacasa listed charges for the initial clean, a deep clean, and various small maintenance tasks but not for the post-stay regular cleans yet.

We've also gotten value out of using the place. 12 ski weekends (skipped 2 for weather and a concert) totaling 21 nights or so with a few one-night stays. We used it for roughly 14 days over the summer as well, even with the swallows. Replacement value for these stays would be about $300/night, I estimate, so let's call this $10,500.

So.

The true math would include the lost investment income from that $155k I had to divert from elsewhere. But as a rough estimate:

+ $238k appreciation
+ $10.5k in value of using it ourselves
- $155k costs
+ $27k tax refund for those costs against my marginal rate

~= Owning the house has been about a positive $120k injection to my net worth thus far.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
DB2022AU00171.jpg

Looks great!

[T]he ID Buzz will arrive in North America as a longer-wheelbase version, set to debut in 2023 and go on sale in 2024. [] The upcoming extended-wheelbase version that'll come to the U.S. [] will seat up to seven in a two-three-two configuration.

The vehicle will also be capable of vehicle-to-home bi-directional charging, a lot like the Ford F-150 Lightning.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The true math would include the lost investment income from that $155k I had to divert from elsewhere. But as a rough estimate:

+ $238k appreciation
+ $10.5k in value of using it ourselves
- $155k costs
+ $27k tax refund for those costs against my marginal rate

~= Owning the house has been about a positive $120k injection to my net worth thus far.
Debt doesn't factor into your net worth?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Debt doesn't factor into your net worth?
I bought it with a 90% LTV loan against $762k purchase price. Now it has a refinanced $685k loan against $1M appraised value. So yes, debt matters but I have more magic equity now any way you cut it.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I bought it with a 90% LTV loan against $762k purchase price. Now it has a refinanced $685k loan against $1M appraised value. So yes, debt matters but I have more magic equity now any way you cut it.
I see what you mean. Doesn't that mean though that your magic equity remains fairy dust until you sell and hope to get that appraised price (or god for you get it via insurance)?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I see what you mean. Doesn't that mean though that your magic equity remains fairy dust until you sell and hope to get that appraised price (or god for you get it via insurance)?
Yes, this is true. No gains or losses are realized until a transaction.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Bib numbers because mogul competition day!

No competition for the little one.

9 year old in U9 (as she wasn't 9 at the start of the season):

https://twitter.com/maximumcharacte/status/1502802398917627905

Near 7 year old (just over a month yet) in U7:

https://twitter.com/maximumcharacte/status/1502802888363581440

Aya wanted to do trees, so we did this nearly flat section with whoops that little kids like.

I took a run with Mariko's group. No poles (for picking up Aya) isn't ideal! They're fast now, but the other kids were falling down all the time! This was Outrigger Trees, a 2m 20s Twitter length version. Full 4m is on the bookface if bored.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Was headed out to see The Batman when fate caught up to my wife’s Italian plug-in hybrid and it left me with no power suddenly.

Pulled over to the shoulder of I-225 and it’s dead in the water. Good thing I have AAA, I guess.

EA016E19-9B11-408B-9B57-C6616A636239.jpeg

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Dealer can't look at minivan until Wednesday.

I have a Kia Sorento rental (on my own dime) in the meantime, to shuttle a kid here or there and go skiing Wednesday and Thursday. It is quite small inside despite apparently coming in a 3 row version (!) at 189" length. The rental spec one is basic--no touchless entry, actual key used to start car--but does appear to have dynamic cruise control and lane keep assist. I bet it also has CarPlay if I plug in a USB cable.

Outwards visibility isn't great and the driver's seat is only adjustable for height, sliding, and recline. I demand moar adjustments yo

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Of interest to @Nick

Look WTR bindings (such as my 2018 vintage Pivot 14 set currently on my Mindbenders) are GripWalk compatible despite having predated that standard. From my query to their tech support:

'Our WTR bindings are GripWalk compatible, you will just need to set the binding to "Alpine" mode.'

Digging in a bit more I found this thread that quotes our own @HAB no less:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Now that I know that my bindings are compatible, I'm going to pick up an aftermarket set of toes and heels to convert my existing boots to GripWalk. A comfier walk around the base sounds good to me!

(My boots already had their heels and toes replaced once from just being worn down from walking about.)

Ten2-and-Cochise-GW-1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I have a Kia Sorento rental (on my own dime) in the meantime, to shuttle a kid here or there and go skiing Wednesday and Thursday. It is quite small inside despite apparently coming in a 3 row version (!) at 189" length.
I poked around in the back of the rental Sorento and sure enough there's that 3rd row

Not very useful, that. Tiny amount of space behind it as well.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
This rental “Intermediate SUV” from Budget is FWD. That’s a load of crap.

EB788FD1-D389-4F36-9BC0-7B87B5ABCC2A.jpeg

Going to turn it in tomorrow morning then. No sense in paying a premium over a FWD car if it won’t be any better to get over Berthoud.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Dealer can't look at minivan until Wednesday.
Dealer got it into the bay yesterday and fixed up today. It ate its 12V battery... just as the 2018 PacHy did as well.

$777 including diagnostic fee. I asked Chrysler Cares if they'll goodwill it since this clearly seems a design flaw in their charging system.

In any case I'll have it back by tonight, which means I have my Land Cruiser once again and don't have to deal with rental cars +/- being FWD.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Up at the mountain house tonight. Skiing tomorrow with Watz, headed back to Denver in the early afternoon, working 4-10 pm from home (if only internet were good enough here!), then heading up here yet again for Thursday powder.

Anyway, post-130F heat soak there were perhaps 30 swallow bugs in one upstairs bathroom and 15 in the other. All dead, and I hope they all remain so.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Update on my jerb hunt:

Interviewed with two private practices.

One I probably already posted about. Semi-local, centered in the next metro area north of me (> 1 hr drive). Partners there work a lot, including 3 weeks of nights per year and what sounds like 8-6:30 PM in-person days but make big $$ for it, 60+% more than I make now. Employees do not make the big $$ but could be 100% remote--would be a pretty substantial pay cut if I worked the same number of days I work at my current employer*.

(* note that some of the days that I don't work are ostensibly academic days, as I'm in academics. I'm supposed to be doing research and the like, but realistically as I got promoted back in 2018 there's no real pressure to do more than my usual committee responsibilities, etc.)

The other was a series of Zoom-clone interviews last week, with a Florida private practice. Not sure what their situation was before they got bought out by private equity, but their current setup is that partners make a bit more than me (~15% more) but are about as busy as the local big-$$ group, and work twice as many weekend days as I do now. It'd be 100% remote but given that it'd be a 2 year track to partner where I'd make less money it'd take at least 4 years to break even, and again I'd be much busier each day.

Perhaps there's a unicorn job out there where I'd make 20% more, 1 year to partner, 100% remote, and work only a bit harder each day than I currently do, but I haven't come across that yet. For now I stay put and seek to improve things where I am.

I already started this process by making our academic days more flexible yet: some academic days we're the designated backup person in case someone calls out sick. The old setup was that the person called in would have to slot right into the shift of the out-sick person and work a normal 8-5 day, discarding their plans. The new setup as I proposed and was accepted by the group is that the people previously on the schedule already will shift assignments so that the person called in gets only outpatient cases, which they can read at any time. Like after skiing all day in my case, or after doing appointments and other errands for others.

Such flexibility makes life better.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Update on my jerb hunt:

Interviewed with two private practices.

One I probably already posted about. Semi-local, centered in the next metro area north of me (> 1 hr drive). Partners there work a lot, including 3 weeks of nights per year and what sounds like 8-6:30 PM in-person days but make big $$ for it, 60+% more than I make now. Employees do not make the big $$ but could be 100% remote--would be a pretty substantial pay cut if I worked the same number of days I work at my current employer*.

(* note that some of the days that I don't work are ostensibly academic days, as I'm in academics. I'm supposed to be doing research and the like, but realistically as I got promoted back in 2018 there's no real pressure to do more than my usual committee responsibilities, etc.)

The other was a series of Zoom-clone interviews last week, with a Florida private practice. Not sure what their situation was before they got bought out by private equity, but their current setup is that partners make a bit more than me (~15% more) but are about as busy as the local big-$$ group, and work twice as many weekend days as I do now. It'd be 100% remote but given that it'd be a 2 year track to partner where I'd make less money it'd take at least 4 years to break even, and again I'd be much busier each day.

Perhaps there's a unicorn job out there where I'd make 20% more, 1 year to partner, 100% remote, and work only a bit harder each day than I currently do, but I haven't come across that yet. For now I stay put and seek to improve things where I am.

I already started this process by making our academic days more flexible yet: some academic days we're the designated backup person in case someone calls out sick. The old setup was that the person called in would have to slot right into the shift of the out-sick person and work a normal 8-5 day, discarding their plans. The new setup as I proposed and was accepted by the group is that the people previously on the schedule already will shift assignments so that the person called in gets only outpatient cases, which they can read at any time. Like after skiing all day in my case, or after doing appointments and other errands for others.

Such flexibility makes life better.
No one generally dies wishing they had worked more.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Re 70

CLEAR CREEK COUNTY, Colo. (KDVR) — UPDATE (11:46 a.m.): Colorado State Patrol said the Interstate 70 mountain corridor from Denver to the divide has reopened and traffic is moving steadily.

ORIGINAL: The eastbound lanes of Interstate 70 are closed at Floyd Hill due to poor road conditions.

The Colorado State Patrol said 19 semis are stuck in the eastbound lanes of I-70.

The westbound lanes of I-70 were closed from Morrison to Floyd Hill but reopened around 7:43 a.m.
Here was my ice crusted view of westbound stuck vehicles at Floyd Hill. 10 in this clip.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Ahhh... the good ol' Floyd Hill Slalom. :disgust:
Was in a segment of video where there was too much ice by the camera to see but a mile later there was a (white, extended cab long bed, not yours :D) F-150 unexpectedly facing me then sideways across both lanes. I stopped in time and he got righted. Idiot!

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
"I thought it was always in 4wd."

-Some dumbass
At least it wasn't a lifted bro-wagon, where they sometimes remove the front driveshaft, half for clean under-truck looks, half because they're too cheap to get the angles right.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
A sane price for a Turbo. A 996 Turbo, mind you, but still.

is nature healing?!