Quantcast

Toshi's thread

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Ya. “Dry” side. Got dumped on by rain while there after photos.

edit: that last one’s Waimea, that is. First two are from east side, a lookout just across from Opaeka’a Falls.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
When we built this super insulated house (R-38 in walls and R-50 in roof + double paned glass throughout for those not following along) we hoped that its design and construction would result in the kids' rooms not getting hotter and colder than the rest of the house.

No such luck.

The two kids' rooms, both south facing with pretty big windows, are consistently 76-77 degrees these days when the A/C is keeping the main floor at 70. Can't defeat the physics of solar gain, even with double cell cellular blackout shades in place, especially since their doors are closed much of the time. In the part of winter that we went through the temperature differential the other way was less but they still were a couple of degrees colder than the rest of the place thanks to those windows again.

I am thinking that after bonus time this fall I'll hire a contractor to put in a two head ductless mini split heat pump system, with the two heads in their bedrooms. That way we won't have to set the main thermostat to extremes (e.g. set at 68 degrees now so as to get their rooms below 75), even though running the main system is cheap since it's 21 SEER...
This quoted post was from the first summer in the Denver house, 2016. Finally getting around to it: On August 8th I'm getting 4 quotes for a mini split heat pump system.

At least 3 heads, for the 3 upstairs bedrooms. Maybe a 4th for the basement bedroom. Doesn't need to be sized for the heating load of the house as it has a forced air system already (NG furnace and conventional single zone 21? 24? SEER Carrier Infinity AC) so I'm thinking small, 1.5 or 2 tons maybe.

The goal of this would be for localized cooling/heating of the bedrooms instead due to the whole physics "hot air rises" phenomenon and all, with the side benefit of shifting heating load away from NG to electricity. (Recall that I have 13.94 kW of PV on the roof and overproduce for the year at least at this point when I only have one PHEV in the garage--sized that system back when I also had the Tesla.)

Anyway, quotes then, but then a waiting game: Xcel has a $2k rebate for cold-climate-capable mini split heat pump installations, but Denver proper has a up to $5,700 rebate (!, capped at 80% max not that I think the total price will be less than $7,125) for such systems as well. The issue is that Denver is releasing additional funding for this rebate monthly in the fall so I'll have to wait for another batch. As this is for a luxury/additional system since we have the central air, albeit not distributed all too well throughout the house, I'll wait for $5,700 extra not spent by me personally.