Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I picked up the recently discontinued Fanatec Podium F1 and Clubsport pedals. It's excellent, but the GT DD Pro is supposed to be nice. I think it's worth it to get the 8 Nm version, but the load cell pedal is "essential" if you're spending that kind of money on a wheel/pedal setup.

And yes, fake car racing is inherently silly but so is every other form of entertainment.
Yup, I figured if going that far getting 8 Nm and the load cell is a no brainer. Why 3/5-ass it, as it were?

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Yup, I figured if going that far getting 8 Nm and the load cell is a no brainer. Why 3/5-ass it, as it were?
Supposedly the 1.31 GT7 update has improved the force feedback quite a bit as well. I haven't had a chance to play with a wheel since then, but looking forward to checking it out.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Supposedly the 1.31 GT7 update has improved the force feedback quite a bit as well. I haven't had a chance to play with a wheel since then, but looking forward to checking it out.
ended up going for something different... Logitech Pro. TrueForce + GT7 sounded like something I would like.

have to make sure I don't sacrifice sleep to drive races! especially since this will be sit down driving time as opposed to futzing around while Pelotoning.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
IMG_8200.jpeg

top message was Mar 21. "nearly done"

still "nearly done" but at least more concrete re snow load calculation. Hot tub is ordered but not in, and I can delay actual delivery for a bit. but I need HOA approval, and they want me to submit plans to the county first. meanwhile the county wants HOA approval to approve the plans.

:lol:

i think the chicken and egg problem will be solved just by printing out all the HOA "provisional approval" emails and being reasonable with the plans examiner at the county office but it'd sure be nice to get all this moving along.

so, too, with the renovation plans. had a flurry of activity and picked out a few appliances, etc. but then radio silence since then. clearly not starting construction mid April!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
How much vert is actually on your commute that's impacting your SS?
got the true details from a normal-effort acoustic commute this morning

125W estimated vs 110 bpm average is about right. Not much elevation change in general, but it's just those 3-4 isolated steeper sections that are a pain in the ass on the single speed (crossing the overpass over I-70, gaining some elevation before dropping under Havana St and climbing out from there, and then the access road to get onto campus).

update for return journey:

113W, 111 bpm. Net downhill.

IMG_8215.jpeg

IMG_8216.jpeg

IMG_8217.jpeg

Last edited:

Pneuma

Chimp
Nov 5, 2021
Is the hangup of losing the belt drive on that bike, that the belt is cool, or that it is clean? Because if it is the latter you might consider hot-waxing your chain when/if you make the change. :)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Is the hangup of losing the belt drive on that bike, that the belt is cool, or that it is clean? Because if it is the latter you might consider hot-waxing your chain when/if you make the change. :)
it is cool

it's red! it's not a chain!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
26 x 4.0" with the Mr. Tuffy has been working so far. But in case it doesn't

grin.PNG

I built a wheel once before. I could do it again. This is with rim geometry from an Alex DM24 and the hub shell dimensions that should be close enough to the slightly different Bafang geared hub motor on the Juiced now. Could get spokes and the like from ebikes.ca, which has this calculator. Then I could run proper, durable tires: 29" x 55 mm Schwalbe Marathon GT 365 would seem to be perfect.

Then for the front wheel to get a matching diameter the most straightforward option would be to keep the crap undamped 135 mm x 9 mm QR fork, and have Universal build up a wheel with that spacing and a real 29" rim. (The alternative would be to replace the fork with something like my Wolverine's 29 x 15 mm through axle fork and then have the wheel built to that standard.)

135 mm Surly/Alex Adventure 2/Alpine 3/brass nipple front wheel: $219.51 at Universal, which seems well worth not having to build a second wheel imo. The through axle Soma fork would be $260 alone so clearly more expensive overall (with a wheel identical but for a Bitex 15 mm TA hub $230.33), plus then I'd have to swap brake adapters and rig up a fender.

Maybe I can find a way to make the Juiced's fork not suck so much.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The headline total debt figure doesn't bother me so much as much of it is my lovely fixed, low rate mortgages.
re this, a house to follow, just listed in my neighborhood, similar finished sq ft. smaller lot (mine is 6,332 sq ft, theirs is 3,912!). same builder but different line but overall similar in finishes, kitchen, etc.

they have put more money into their yard/patio area for sure. similar lot desirability: they front on a park whereas I'm one house separated from it but they're thus also on a major-for-the-neighborhood road and are much closer to the potentially noisy main arterial.

anyway, listed at $950k against a $960k Zestimate. my Zestimate is $1.097mm fwiw. remind me to check back up on this in a few months once it closes.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
View attachment 191900

Wrote some shit (derivative of our prior work, which made it easier). This is for an April 30 deadline for an October meeting in Sendai that I would like to go to on the university's expense. Everything in red is just promised at this point but should take an hour to whip up, optimistically. The data underlying them exist as does my code to make the surface plots.
hopefully final draft

i would like to go to Japan on the state's expense, yes plz

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
In more from the “colored wheels” file

dat 3.0 liter inline 4. what a weird car. one guy used to run one at the Bremerton autocross.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I don't even know you anymore. :disgust:
Just chatted with a tech dude at Juiced, who made the good point to beware of lateral nipple angles as well, because the lateral flange spacing on the hub motor is wide. The 1x lacing may or may not add another layer of complexity to this wrt how the spokes are offset--got to tease that out a bit more.

But I'd definitely need a rim with as much eccentricity on the spoke hole positions as possible to get a straight-as-possible shot down to the flanges, were I to do this stupid idea. Which I might or might not. :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

this makes the fair point that angulation at the nipples can be alleviated by fancy hemispherical nipples, like DT Swiss Pro:

• Designed for short spokes with a large angle of deflexion such as e-bikes
  • The special shape of the head prevents the nipple of tilting in the rim base, which is a great advantage for wheel building
perfect. so then I don't need to worry about the rim so much, which is good since at least DT doesn't seem to be in the business of much if any spoke hole offset these days.

for a 55 mm hypothetical Schwalbe Marathon GT 365 tire I'd be fine with anywhere from a 25-35 mm inner diameter rim per WTB:

so this rim would work. 29", 30 mm inner, 36 holes, welded joint. 150 kg load capacity/e-bike rated for good measure. no eyelets on the spoke holes but can't win them all:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
goddamnit

About 12 swallow bugs in the affected upstairs bathroom and 3 in the other upstairs bathroom. Attic fumigation and fixing of the swallow mitigation flashing rescheduled for May 15 due to too much snow.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
we shall get at least one more ski day in this season as a family, on Sat Apr 15. Baby Aya has a makeup lesson for a day she was sick. I'll have Mariko try out these 152 cm Black Pearls now that I've dialed the bindings down to DIN 3 and set them for her 275 mm BSL. If she can step into them fine and doesn't mind the height of the demo plates then perhaps I'll just leave them as is, but if she wants them lighter or the step in force is still a problem then I'll go with non-demo Squire 10s or 11s depending on the Marker official word on which is the lowest force option.
Powder7 has a 95 mm brake Marker Free 7 that should work, though.

Might end up with Marker Free 7s on both the 140 cm, 90 mm under foot Rustler Teams (for Yuna in probably two years) or the 152 cm, 98 mm underfoot Black Pearl 98s.

Mariko tried the Black Pearls today and she skied great with them. Moving pictures on usual social media outlets.

IMG_8267.jpeg

What did not work well at all were the 2018 Marker Squire 11s. At 68 lb she couldn’t step into them at all. Even worse than the Tyrolia Attacks. She needs a half-kid binding still even though she is long.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
goddamnit

About 12 swallow bugs in the affected upstairs bathroom and 3 in the other upstairs bathroom. Attic fumigation and fixing of the swallow mitigation flashing rescheduled for May 15 due to too much snow.
hey handy peoples @Adventurous @stoney @Nick @Full Trucker

what do I do next? house has been heated to 130F twice. chem treated thrice.

swallow bugs are still living despite this. do I start cutting out random 12 x 12" holes in the drywall in affected rooms and looking for the source?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

swallow bugs are still living despite this. do I start cutting out random 12 x 12" holes in the drywall in affected rooms and looking for the source?

Is there no access to the attic or a crawl space anywhere? I assume no swallows have returned to build nests in your eaves?

Google tells me the swallow bug can survive in a nest for up to 3 years without a swallow to feed off of. Perhaps what you are seeing are residual bugs hiding in cracks that managed to survive the pest control guys?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Is there no access to the attic or a crawl space anywhere? I assume no swallows have returned to build nests in your eaves?

Google tells me the swallow bug can survive in a nest for up to 3 years without a swallow to feed off of. Perhaps what you are seeing are residual bugs hiding in cracks that managed to survive the pest control guys?
No swallows since August 2021. First company did a half assed job with the metal sheeting protecting the eaves but no nests last season or thus far this. The work planned is just to seal it up completely.

Critter Control dude went around whole attic, found dead flies, but no swallow bugs visible up there, no nests, and no bats (!).

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

That's about where I would go. If you've done all of the non-invasive options, then it's time to start digging. If you want to avoid carving holes that will need drywall repair, look into a scope and dropping the camera from the attic (if an option).

When you're looking at the specific rooms, find places where there are already holes they can come from and start there. Outlet covers, lights, vents, etc.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
what is this is?

also what hot tub did you order?
an electric car, ordered June 2022. shall be in my paws around June 2023. shall replace either Land Cruiser or minivan--up for debate still.

ordered a Bullfrog R8L. still awaiting plans from the structural engineer (still!) to submit to the county for a building permit.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That's about where I would go. If you've done all of the non-invasive options, then it's time to start digging. If you want to avoid carving holes that will need drywall repair, look into a scope and dropping the camera from the attic (if an option).

When you're looking at the specific rooms, find places where there are already holes they can come from and start there. Outlet covers, lights, vents, etc.
Carving holes and putting on some 12" plastic covers here and there in places that are either out of the way or which will be touched anyway during the still-pending renovation work seems more appealing to me than trying to fish an unfamiliar scope around.

shall acquire a saw and some covers thusly and plan on heading up and doing some damage. got to be up there May 10 for planned appliance delivery anyway + hauling up a TV and some other smaller things (range hood, drawer microwave, metal straps for deck pilings).

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Carving holes and putting on some 12" plastic covers here and there in places that are either out of the way or which will be touched anyway during the still-pending renovation work seems more appealing to me than trying to fish an unfamiliar scope around.

shall acquire a saw and some covers thusly and plan on heading up and doing some damage. got to be up there May 10 for planned appliance delivery anyway + hauling up a TV and some other smaller things (range hood, drawer microwave, metal straps for deck pilings).
just know what's behind what you're cutting before going haywire cutting. I tend to use a handheld drywall saw to cut a small hole to see what's there first, then get the power tools out.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
just know what's behind what you're cutting before going haywire cutting. I tend to use a handheld drywall saw to cut a small hole to see what's there first, then get the power tools out.
I went for an oscillating saw so as to do less damage. Literally. Shall bring the small jab saw, too.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I went for an oscillating saw so as to do less damage. Literally. Shall bring the small jab saw, too.
Good call. Get a bunch of drywall blades, since they wear really fast. If you cut just enough to break through the drywall, it shouldn't be an issue. I was looking at the saw you posted and saw everything going wrong quickly. I would recommend getting a large square, to make sure that what you cut out is a true square. It will make any repair much, much easier and less visible.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
There's a specific semicircular blade for cutting drywall. I find that the semicircular blades are a lot easier to cut straight lines with.

98ee10db-7aaf-443f-855b-cf5e6d1380be.jpeg

If you can rig up a dust shroud and shop vac with HEPA filter, do it. Turn off the HVAC too while cutting. That dust is very fine and will cover everything in your house if you aren't careful.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
There's a specific semicircular blade for cutting drywall. I find that the semicircular blades are a lot easier to cut straight lines with.

If you can rig up a dust shroud and shop vac with HEPA filter, do it. Turn off the HVAC too while cutting. That dust is very fine and will cover everything in your house if you aren't careful.
Thanks for the tips. Got the blades ordered, ya.

Not super concerned about dust upstairs as it's all getting revamped. In theory. Should the designer ever give me designs and a crew and all that good stuff.

edit: and no HVAC to worry about. I do have mini splits in the upstairs bedrooms but those will be off and there's no ductwork in the house, all radiant otherwise.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
No warranty or some sort of followup touch up work from the bug company? I mean if they said they'd get them all and they didn't...

What eats swallow bugs? Deploy those.
What eats the things that eats swallow bugs? Deploy those shortly after.
My plan falls apart here, sorry.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
No warranty or some sort of followup touch up work from the bug company? I mean if they said they'd get them all and they didn't...

What eats swallow bugs? Deploy those.
What eats the things that eats swallow bugs? Deploy those shortly after.
My plan falls apart here, sorry.
1681777468583.png