Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
9 x 12' pad (for the 7' 10" square hot tub + its stairs)
Screenshot 2023-06-21 at 9.53.54 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-06-21 at 9.53.38 PM.png

Curved lines going from E, F, G on the bottom are raceways for conduit coming at surface level. Alternately one can have the pad poured around the line and stubbed out at point D, corresponding to the 3" diameter hole 5" inboards from the bottom left corner on the top diagram that corresponds.

How I'd have it laid out on the concrete pad is rotated 90 degrees from the bottom image, with the stairs and the D-H side of things on the image left side of things. That'd place point D closest to the new subpanel, too, which is nice and clean.

The stairs are 27" deep, iirc. The hot tub is 94 x 94" and the pad will be 108 x 144". Therefore to center it along the short axis we'd have 7" on either side. If I put the same 7" margin on the non-stair side of the long axis that leaves 43" for the stairs + cushion, which seems just right.

So the center point of this 3" hole to stub out the wiring will be 7" margin + 94" length along the hot tub - 5" back from it == 96" along it if you're starting along the F side of the slab, if you will. The center point for the other axis will be 7" margin + 5" inboards from it, so 12" in from the D-E side of the slab.

Now that I look at the top diagram they actually use 89.7" dimensions for the base, not the 94" nominal one. So it's 5 x 5" inches in from the base, not the slightly sticking out panels that make it 94". This should mean that it should be 93.85" in from the F side of the slab down the long axis of the rectangle, 14.15" in from the D-E side of the slab to be precise (accounting for the 4.3"/2 thickness of the casing vs the base on each side).

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Then 5’ of flexible conduit coming up from the stub out point

IMG_9417.jpeg
IMG_9418.jpeg

I wonder how painful this concrete pad quote is going to be

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Our rental minivan for this extended weekend in Reno is a Sienna. I think it’s a 2023, less than 5,000 miles on it, XLE trim (fake leather, small moonroof, power doors and liftgate). Enterprise RNO.

The range of motion for the middle row is kind of insane. Tons of legroom with it slammed back (nice given my knee condition at the moment) with still adequate space for kids in 3rd row.

Non-plug-in hybrid as are all of this gen. Engine sounds more uncouth than when the PacHy is in gas mode.

IMG_9434.jpeg
IMG_9424.jpeg
IMG_9425.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
IMG_9465.jpeg

72 hours so took the dressings off. That feels better now. ‘tis swollen. Orange skin shade is from the tint in the chlorhexidine that they use these days.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Went out to dinner with the family of a friend Mariko made at her Sun-Thur camp here in Reno. The father does track days with a McLaren 600LT.

Must be nice to have free cash not tied up in a mountain house :(

:D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
snuggling with my sweet middle child last night at bedtime

IMG_1089.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
a few updates to the above:

1) no EQB bookings via Turo thus far

2) I drove the rental Sienna a bit and my driver’s seat impressions are similar. Classy looking angled dashboard lighting. No factory navi but it had CarPlay so this didn’t matter. XLT trim had a vinyl steering wheel and seat trim but had adaptive cruise with stop and go. 4 banger in the Hybrid more uncouth than the Atkinson cycle Pentastar in the wife’s PacHy—louder than in our old Prius even. Small 3rd row windows make for a more claustrophobic seating area back there re the PacHy. EV mode only good to ~20 mph.

3) Silverado EV pricing out and it seems high. We shall see if they sell well at these price points as gas ones aren’t cheap either, I guess.

IMG_9490.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
News to hearten @kidwoo / why it’s good I didn’t assume meaningful rental income when pricing out the house

IMG_9491.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hey toshi, is there a more complete list that goes beyond the biggest 25 declines?

To skweeb's point, I want to see where the truly annoying white people rent STRs

bend, havasu and kalispell made it so that's good
I didn't see more. the source

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I didn't see more. the source

Sounds like there are an awful lot of people that could have benefited from taking a risk management class or two... :rolleyes:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Knee update:

can ascend and descend stairs like a normal human now

took a nearly-0-effort 30 min spin on the Peloton as (related) I now have enough comfortable knee flexion to do so

not sure if the surgeon's PA seeing me in followup on Friday and the PT seeing me on Thursday will be pleased or aghast at how quickly I've moved my rehab forward. see earlier posts in this thread for why I'm doing this.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Seattle->Pierce County???
yeah, some generous definitions there. likely including "close enough to drive in for the day to see XYZ".
no EQB bookings via Turo thus far
First Turo booking just came through this morning. Week long. I’ll net $554.28 with my conservative 60% gross but zero deductible insurance plan.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
As it's insured for $750k with 0 deductible and I don't actually need it :D then I don't see how there's any downside risk to me outside of the minor hassle of dropping it off for what work may need to be done. And the upside potential is significant if it actually rents out more than just this once.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Re home values, a house across the street from us is on sale. 24 days listed, dropped from 1.3 to 1.199 already. Much smaller than ours but nicer finishes than our house currently stands (ours will be comparable in finishes after all this, and again much, much bigger).

dropped from 1.3 to 1.199 to 1.1 flat now. how low will it go?!

Another bellwether. 2,336 sq ft, half duplex, in Tabernash across the creek from my house: I can see it from my porch.

they’re asking $950k
holding steady thus far, only on market a few weeks yet.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
When are you allowed to moped in the mountains again?
when I tolerate it! Which probably will be some weeks. Can get about 20 degrees range of motion right now—part of this no doubt swelling and part due to the dressing itself, which stays on for 3 days.
based off of my progress I predict I'll be back on the commuter bike (with flat pedals as I run on all of them) and doing normal cadence Z1 Peloton spins by a week from now (today being 8 days out from the repair), and back on the Shuttle doing easy trails 3 weeks from now/4 weeks from the repair.

easy trails so as to minimize chances for unforeseen rotational stresses... back at full speed 2-4 weeks after that?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
this is a damn good deal

(their other sale ones are all SRAM builds, meh)

I'd be all over it for returning an acoustic bike to my stable except I'm in a mood of paying down debt, not burning monthly cash flow.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Turo didn’t work out

because the dude got his Mustang Mach E fixed and thus didn’t need a rental so canceled

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Back lawn is not looking pretty. I think my smart irrigation controller has been too aggressive with rain skips these past months. I dethatched again after these photos and now it looks even more like the dust bowl

:homer:

IMG_9593.jpeg
IMG_9594.jpeg
IMG_9595.jpeg

the astute reader will note much of the wide part of this will be covered by the hot tub pad. Getting quotes for astroturf for the rest of it.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I think my smart irrigation controller has been too aggressive with rain skips these past months.
it has been saving me water… by not watering at all.

yellow/orange is skipped instances.

IMG_9598.png

IMG_9599.png

IMG_9600.png

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

time to look at the economics and axle weight ratings of this RV (huge but not a coach per gff’s definition).

that's a 2020 Thor Magnitude BB35 floorplan for sale. located in Florida, dealer nominally near Loveland. $165k asking, down from $195k asking. 21,576 miles.

new MSRP appears to have been $217k. RV Trader has a $145k private party sale listing for one with 6,275 miles so not a great price, it appears.

anyway:

"king" bed (72 x 76"), two bunks, dinette, sofa bed, cabover bunk. lots of sleeping spaces so a nice family layout.

36' 8", 12' 6" height, and one full length slide for better or worse.

F-550 chassis--before they moved to the F-600, so only 19.5k GVWR. nice high GCWR of 35k with the Power Stroke so 10k hitch weight. finding OCCC is a pain in the ass and I'm not sure if this is the BB35 proper, but it's on the order of 1,500 lb, which is horrible given occupants, fluids, and cargo proper all come from then. oh, and tongue weight of the trailer, too, which means it can really only be a flat towed vehicle back there...

so, to reiterate: 4x4 diesel Super Cs on the F-550 chassis are dumb for multiple reasons, but OCCC is a huge one.

circling back to the price, though: let's assume 8% sales tax on that $217k and another $1k in registration. let's call it $235k, ignoring any finance charges. let's also assume it sells for $145k since there's that private listing.

($235k-$145k)/21,576 miles == $4.17/mi for the original one. for the private party seller with lower miles that's $14.34/mi!

Last edited: