Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Got a Turo reservation for Aug 30-Sep 1. Shall report how that goes, naturally

Ram 1500 REV
Any of these—or a theoretical 2026+ 2nd gen Lightning—would be "live permanently outside on the driveway" size vehicles. which would actually make day to day bike-parking access from the garage easier for my routine commute. for hail I have insurance, and charging would actually be easy with that 100A line I'm having dropped soon. :D

with a 229 kWh pack and high energy consumption per mile one would really need such a fast EVSE to keep it topped up. 19.2 kW + charging inefficiency would mean 13+ hours from empty to full, double that for the current roster of 40A EVSE within my garage.
IMG_9610.jpeg

Dropped a refundable $100 for this. Assuming their timing doesn't slip this is too early for Project Land Cruiser replacement, but to get news and access to test drive events in the meantime seems worth the minimal lost interest on that $100.

Re charging it: I think it'd be kosher to overload the new 100A subpanel with a 100A breaker for an 80A outdoor EVSE and the 50A breaker for the hot tub. If somehow the constant loads did trip it consistently then I could stagger the hot tub heater and EVSE charging timing without too much fuss—all done in phone apps these days.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Lawn is no more alive looking but at least looks watered now after two morning manual deep soak runs

IMG_9632.jpeg

IMG_9633.jpeg

replaced all 7 smoke/CO detectors as one (at 8.5 years in this house) was still beeping after a new battery. They’re also hardwired and linked. Anyway, nominal service life is 10 years so it was due.

new Kidde pinout is the same but the lateral flange on the old isn’t there any more, so I had to swap the connectors—3 wire nuts up in the box so not bad except for working above one’s head. I replaced the base plates as well: might have worked but as the screw spacing was unchanged was trivial

IMG_9629.jpeg

IMG_9630.jpeg

IMG_9631.jpeg

First time back on a real bike today. 2 weeks since my meniscus repair. Felt fine. Went at kid pace so nothing strenuous, and even stood up a bit and that was ok as well.

IMG_9621.jpeg

IMG_9624.jpeg

IMG_9628.jpeg

IMG_9619.jpeg

at the end of the ride finally graduated Yuna from her 20” wheeled bike to the 24” fat tired REI one. She fits with the dropper halfway down so will just ride it as if there’s no dropper.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Hoping there's lots of rain out by your mountain haus this week to get that fire out. Way too much beetle kill for something to get going out there...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The astute reader will recall my toils and travails trying to get the pesky XC40 registered back in 2018. With that as context:

IMG_9641.jpeg

This delay appears to be on the DMV’s end, and getting a 60 day second temp tag mailed to me is the best solution for now. No time wasted on my part vs numerous waits at the DMV and contacting Volvo with the prior experience

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the astute reader will note much of the wide part of this will be covered by the hot tub pad. Getting quotes for astroturf for the rest of it.
got a quote for the ~400 sq ft patch that won't be covered by the pad. $10.9k all in

yeah, nah

:D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
What's your main panel feed? I'm sure I recall being told our feed was 200A and all of that was accounted for on the fuse panel when I asked about an EV drop :/
I think our feed is 200A after reading that that's standard for 40 slot panels

I also read that overloading is kosher, to something like 150%. relevant (didn't watch past 2 sec but seems to be right on point)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Screen Shot 2023-07-07 at 10.55.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-07 at 11.02.17 AM.png

Cabinet renderings from our designer, for the mountain house. We asked to axe the stupid little shelf and single upper cabinet over the coffee bar area.

Also note that the view out the big window there with the little bench area thing is of our ill-tempered neighbor. And then the mountains beyond that. :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Oh... the swallow ordeal. Are those bugs sorted yet?
I don't know. Haven't been up since demolition started and I'd bug bombed the place twice + having the attic professionally fumigated on top of that. On the other hand, haven't heard complaints from the workers relayed through our contacts, either.

so maybe?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hot tub pad and walkway installation date(s) set: July 26 and 27. Check, Zelle, or cash. It’s happening.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
a random bookface ad

look at that special King price!

IMG_9728.jpeg

$2k of VIN etching and nitrogen fills and other crap no doubt

anyway, this is what bro dude complaining about the price of gas is rocking these days

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
we've got a ton of extra moonlighting hours this month up for grabs: short staffed due to vacations and having two new hires starting August.

long and short of it is that I might gross $27k in moonlighting alone for the month (pre-tax, hmph). and I shall try and work as many of those hours as I can: WFH, at my own leisure/working around kid bedtimes/dinner/etc.

:notbadobama:

edit for updated number as more hours yet available now.

edit 2: ended up at a touch over $28k.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
and assuming I do do this by then I'll have netted enough to have kicked my Betterment slush fund account back up to $60k+. maybe even a month earlier than that even with the hot tub pad/electrical costs.

at that point I shall resume my usual 403(b) and 457(b) contributions, and shall dial in 403(b) contributions for the wife when she goes back to work come August. (the 401(a) never stops other than hitting the IRS annual comp limit/never stopped because it's not my choice as a mandatory plan.)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
View attachment 195700View attachment 195701

Curved lines going from E, F, G on the bottom are raceways for conduit coming at surface level. Alternately one can have the pad poured around the line and stubbed out at point D, corresponding to the 3" diameter hole 5" inboards from the bottom left corner on the top diagram that corresponds.

How I'd have it laid out on the concrete pad is rotated 90 degrees from the bottom image, with the stairs and the D-H side of things on the image left side of things. That'd place point D closest to the new subpanel, too, which is nice and clean.

The stairs are 27" deep, iirc. The hot tub is 94 x 94" and the pad will be 108 x 144". Therefore to center it along the short axis we'd have 7" on either side. If I put the same 7" margin on the non-stair side of the long axis that leaves 43" for the stairs + cushion, which seems just right.

So the center point of this 3" hole to stub out the wiring will be 7" margin + 94" length along the hot tub - 5" back from it == 96" along it if you're starting along the F side of the slab, if you will. The center point for the other axis will be 7" margin + 5" inboards from it, so 12" in from the D-E side of the slab.

Now that I look at the top diagram they actually use 89.7" dimensions for the base, not the 94" nominal one. So it's 5 x 5" inches in from the base, not the slightly sticking out panels that make it 94". This should mean that it should be 93.85" in from the F side of the slab down the long axis of the rectangle, 14.15" in from the D-E side of the slab to be precise (accounting for the 4.3"/2 thickness of the casing vs the base on each side).
Hot tub pad stub out location.png

i made an artworks, to scale/proper aspect ratio even

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
buy a new car, paying the specific ownership tax when you register it will be fun, they said

IMG_9742.jpeg
IMG_9740.jpeg
IMG_9734.jpeg

at least that’s deductible from my state income. hmph

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
knee held up well except for a few lateral twinges/muscle strain sensation on the last leg back home, similar to what I had on the Peloton last night. recall my repair was medial so some weird mechanics thing?

anyway, was about 21 miles for all my errands. 6/10 bars still showing. I think the bars aren’t super linear so I’d treat this as halfway through the 52V, 19.2Ah pack. Certainly enough range to be useful with all the miles in pedal assist mode, of course, just fast when the conditions allow for it

IMG_9741.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Stop hiring clerks and make that an automated pay form on the magical thing call the interwebs.

What exactly does the electrical vehicle fee go towards?
Apparently about 60% towards the general state highway maintenance fund and 40% to building a DC fast charger corridor.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I posted many moons back about time of use pricing and smart meters. Well, finally got the smart meter (x 3, since two PV arrays) installation scheduled. Aug 29. Based off of my PV arrays producing until 6 PM and the peak hours ending at 7 PM I think I'll stay in TOU rather than opting out. Although this whole "solar bank" concept and all is just confusing, IMO, so I'm not really sure.

Either way it won't be much money in either direction. When I get bored in the future I'll look up how much energy flux a Powerwall can do each day and how many decades it'd take for one to pay off its initial cost at these TOU rates.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Knee update: back to clipped in spinning on the Peloton tonight, 22 days out from my medial meniscus repair

:notbadobama:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Friday morning elder-two-kid dropoff route to follow. That quoted riding time's for a theoretical rider on an acoustic bike so I figure 35 minutes with electric, given that I'll have two kids on the back.

Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 11.31.00 PM.png

Route is on protected multiuse paths from home until Montview Blvd, just below that "48 min" bubble. Then it's streets, albeit not main ones.

Here's what Syracuse, the N-S street I'll be on past Montview, should look like from my perspective. Painted < curbs and bollards < fully separated and protected, but better than being on Quebec for sure.

Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 11.35.29 PM.jpg