Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
It could also be the drives slowing it down, the unit might be taking in data faster than the drives can write it.
yeah, since they didn't advertise 7200 rpm I bet it has 5400 rpm HDDs. but their limit of 70 MB/s is still significantly higher than the actual speeds I saw.

I'm kind of tempted to give this a try, the LinkStation 710 variant if this link points to another product under this multi-listing. 1 bay so no RAID. Buffalo, so no ransomware. 2.5 Gbps Ethernet. but I bet I'll still be underwhelmed. :D

this review suggests the 2 bay variant with likely 2 of the same drive can push 80 MB/s:

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
or maybe I should roll the dice with Asustor, keep all ports shut off, keep EZ Connect off, and just use it like a fast, non-cloud connected internal network only NAS... could pop in 7200 rpm NAS-specific nice drives and call it a day.

I think I'll go through one more Amazon buy/return cycle with that Linkstation 710 first before dipping into this.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'm surprised you're not going full geek with this and building a computer dedicated to storage. :busted:

It'd be more expensive, especially if using SSD's, but you could do exactly what you want with it. I mean you could setup a simple raid 1 array and share out a folder. Use OneDrive or Google Drive to backup anything critical on it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm surprised you're not going full geek with this and building a computer dedicated to storage. :busted:

It'd be more expensive, especially if using SSD's, but you could do exactly what you want with it. I mean you could setup a simple raid 1 array and share out a folder. Use OneDrive or Google Drive to backup anything critical on it.
I mean, I do have a full tower PC that I built in 2015 or so sitting entirely idle in the office on campus that I go to maybe once every 2 years... :D

I should probably just buy that 2 bay 2.5 Gbps Asustor that performs the best, set it up with two solid HDDs from Micro Center in RAID 1, turn off all non-essential services and ports, and call it good enough.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
... or get one of these instead. Not a NAS, but in this form factor it'd be super easy to plug into my MacBook Pro's Thunderbolt 3 port. 3 GB/s would be something.

/me is intrigued by this concept. the cheaper SSD drives have "only" USB-C, not Thunderbolt 3. same physical port, different protocol afaik.

had an even better idea wrt this!

me said:
Hi Jennifer,

I'd like to request for one of these to be purchased from my academic funds, to be used as external storage for the similarly department purchased MacBook Pro that I have for work. I realize this drive would be the property of the department as with the laptop. Thanks in advance!

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Professional-4TB-PRO-G40-SDPS31H-004T-GBCND/dp/B0BW6715SV/ref=sr_1_3?th=1

-Toshi

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Re my earlier explorations pricing out Powerwall installations (CN: doesn’t make sense even with Xcel’s Battery*Connect program):

Anker, as in the company that makes AC adapters and all manner of small lithium battery products, is getting into the big battery business. Like home scale, and not single appliance backup like my Eco Flow River Pro (720 Wh, 600W continuous output).

IMG_1390.jpeg

October 9th is apparently the unveil date for this? I signed up for their email list for the promised discount. Of note is that being over 3 kWh will net it the 30% Fed tax credit. I’ll do the math on payback time from time of use pricing arbitrage once they release details.

Competition is good! As are products that apparently need minimal electrician time to implement.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Costco via e-cargo bike. Got to bring panniers and maybe a backpack as well next time. This was the limit of what I could carry with what I had on me.

IMG_1408.jpeg
IMG_1410.jpeg
IMG_1411.jpeg
IMG_1417.jpeg
IMG_1423.jpeg
IMG_1418.jpeg
IMG_1419.jpeg
IMG_1420.jpeg
IMG_1421.jpeg
IMG_1422.jpeg

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Screenshot 2023-09-02 at 2.27.45 PM.png

Dining set, upstairs, main floor TVs for mountain house. New mattress for Denver house—our 2015 identical one is sagging on my side and I feel 8.5 years of service from it is acceptable. (It nominally has a 20 year warranty albeit one where I'd have to ship it back to them or the like. Yeah, nah)

- $500 from these subtotal figures due to stacked Costco Direct same-order discounts and a discount on the mattress straight up for Labor Day. The astute reader will note that I got last year model, lower end but still LG OLED TV models. Seems right for a house we and renters will both use.

edit: also ordered two twin/twin/twin triple bunks for the mountain house. and 6 mattresses and comforters and pillows, and appropriate waterproof mattress protectors and pillow covers. and 4 nightstands. and 2 tv consoles 1 TV console. and 3 dressers. linens through Vacasa at least.

edit 2: went with a standalone swivel easel mount instead of a TV console for the new master bedroom. cheaper, less/no assembly, and will pivot to the loveseat located 135 degrees off axis.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I had to put on my "real doctor" hat tonight and call a patient directly about their findings on an outpatient CT that I read as a moonlighter. I told them to go to the ED tonight to get seen by a surgeon.

(I bypassed the ordering PCP as they had a "do not disturb" flag up on their Epic status--Epic is our electronic medical record system. This was thus the most direct way of doing it.)

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I am sure you know grass needs a lot of water to establish? Also needs it to look good once established but I refuse to water when established.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I am sure you know grass needs a lot of water to establish? Also needs it to look good once established but I refuse to water when established.
Yeah, this is after two weeks of watering it every day as per the seed bag instructions

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
not that it matters given there's no interest in people buying my DH bike, but I confirmed with Winter Park that class 1 e-bikes are officially allowed on the gondola and lift (and trails).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

relevant to the above: when I built this particular desktop a year or three back, I do remember speccing an M.2 as the main drive

I do not have any recollection of speccing a 12 TB SeaGate Iron Wolf as another internal drive

go figure

shall share this latter drive on the network and see how it performs. won't do Time Machine backups but as a place to dump files might be quick, as this desktop is wired to the router.

seagate.PNG

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
mountain house finance update as of August statements

still about $60k? more on the renovation work

Screenshot 2023-09-04 at 9.11.12 AM.png

edit: missed out on $45k of invoices paid for the renovation work. that seemed low. :D

not all of these things are expenses: mileage will be a tax deduction, and income and cleaning fees reported opposite the +/- paradigm elsewhere. the cleaning fees line item will include the Grand County STR permit renewal.

for 2024: much less renovation work. will maybe have downstairs bathroom by the sauna built, hot tub reinforcement + hot tub if that ever comes to pass, and maybe some stucco repair. 2024 also will hopefully have no more swallow bug related costs! and more rental income to at least offset the interest/insurance/taxes.

and for this year another big tax writeoff against my regular income, at least.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Elder kids successfully petitioned to be allowed to walk to Target by themselves to browse. We made them wear their Watches, and at least one of those two is tracking appropriately.

Mariko rides to karate/tae kwon do in the mall by herself so we figured that’s not much different

IMG_1433.jpeg

bonus shot of kitty fren living the life

IMG_1432.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Elder kids successfully petitioned to be allowed to walk to Target by themselves to browse. We made them wear their Watches, and at least one of those two is tracking appropriately.

Mariko rides to karate/tae kwon do in the mall by herself so we figured that’s not much different

IMG_1433.jpeg
update: kids arrived back in one piece. Yuna bought glow in the dark glue. Mariko bought a soft, yellow sweater. they also bought snacks at Starbucks there. :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So on monthly statements there's a "pay over time" option for large line items at Chase. I'd looked once before and found that it had ~3%? or so in fees so never did it. And indeed per their verbiage the fee is entirely up to their own discretion, which kinda makes the "but no interest!" aspect of it irrelevant.

Screenshot 2023-09-04 at 6.14.58 PM.png

Anyway, I went through a few months of statements and sorted through the largest charges, noting that all of them were showing 0 monthly fee and 0 interest. I had an inkling that once I did this "My Chase Plan" business for one of these charges then the deal would change, so I put them in my handy budget spreadsheet and sorted them in descending order by amount.

The largest amount in the months I surveyed was this. (Looking back at this I probably should have gone back to the $36.1k x 2 charges from May or so, whoops.) I elected for this plan, because 0 interest is good.

Screenshot 2023-09-04 at 6.26.35 PM.png

And, as anticipated, suddenly the other charges didn't have 0 fee/0 interest options any more. So I didn't do these.

Screenshot 2023-09-04 at 6.27.37 PM.png

Cliffs Notes: Chase extended me some 0 fee/0 interest money, and I took it because math.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
All filled up

IMG_1496.jpeg

I’d check the state of the water temp and the heater settings via the phone app but the dealer forgot to include that despite it being ordered. This shall be remedied.

I think I’ll hop in it tomorrow for as much as I can

bonus image of my e-bike from tonight. I guess one of my e-bikes is more technically correct

IMG_1498.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I think I’ll hop in it tomorrow for as much as I can
Ah, that’s nice

cantilever umbrella works well. Might scoot it over a bit more for coverage on the west side

IMG_1515.jpeg

IMG_1512.jpeg

IMG_1513.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I shall pick up the 3 pairs of AT boots (sizes 22.5, 23.5, 24.5) from Roller Auctions tomorrow mid day, via e-cargo bike. Will bring both panniers and all of the bungee cords and bungee nets. Between the two rectangular bags on the front and rear racks, the panniers, and potentially strapping one more down in front of the bag on the rear I should be just fine.

looking at this map it seems turning on the Clear Creek Trail at the end and then heading straight up York St would be wiser, especially as the latter seems to have an underpass under 74th Ave.

Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 2.01.32 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 2.02.42 PM.png

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Re my earlier explorations pricing out Powerwall installations (CN: doesn’t make sense even with Xcel’s Battery*Connect program):

Anker, as in the company that makes AC adapters and all manner of small lithium battery products, is getting into the big battery business. Like home scale, and not single appliance backup like my Eco Flow River Pro (720 Wh, 600W continuous output).

View attachment 199913

October 9th is apparently the unveil date for this? I signed up for their email list for the promised discount. Of note is that being over 3 kWh will net it the 30% Fed tax credit. I’ll do the math on payback time from time of use pricing arbitrage once they release details.

Competition is good! As are products that apparently need minimal electrician time to implement.
the little blurb above said 6-12 kW power and "up to 53.8 kWh" capacity. saw another targeted Facebook ad today for this that was a tiny bit more specific: 3.8-53.8 kWh. must be rounding error in there since that's not an even multiple.

either way 30% Fed credit eligible. but not eligible for Battery*Connect.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Took a look this morning… and I think I these are new grass seedlings! They’re patchy at this point. I overseeded the whole back yard again with the remainder of the seed. Perhaps this new grass idea still has a chance of success.

View attachment 199473
That was Aug 25. Today, Sept 6, same patch. Not very even growth!

bonus bunny fren today

IMG_1520.jpeg
IMG_1521.jpeg
IMG_1522.jpeg
IMG_1523.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
update 2, putting this here for later reference should I go solar: MPEI also offers a $500 rebate for PV installations >= 2 kW

update 2: highly tempted to go with Ion for the microinverter setup at $2.99/W. Sent their quote over to MPEI.
moving forward with Ion. will be a deal structured as short term same as cash, 0 interest so that Ion gets paid up front, then MPEI will pay me. how much is apparently up to 90%: "Our program will finance up to 90% of the total project cost".

waiting on design review committee input from HOA before signing things.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I shall pick up the 3 pairs of AT boots (sizes 22.5, 23.5, 24.5) from Roller Auctions tomorrow mid day, via e-cargo bike. Will bring both panniers and all of the bungee cords and bungee nets. Between the two rectangular bags on the front and rear racks, the panniers, and potentially strapping one more down in front of the bag on the rear I should be just fine.

looking at this map it seems turning on the Clear Creek Trail at the end and then heading straight up York St would be wiser, especially as the latter seems to have an underpass under 74th Ave.

View attachment 200149View attachment 200150
my plan worked out very nicely. lovely underpass/tunnel connecting to York from the Clear Creek Trail, even.

media here, scroll to right for vid

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
IMG_1538.jpeg
IMG_1537.jpeg

found out that no name Amazon sourced bolts are utter crap. circumstance was of mounting then unmounting this cargo basket thing on the back of my commuter.

IMG_1530.jpeg
IMG_1532.jpeg

nice enough in and of itself, but its fatal flaw is that it impedes access to my panniers significantly. and overall thus wouldn't add a lot of utility, while making day to day use worse. so it shall be returned

IMG_1536.jpeg

new mattress-in-a-box. old one was coming up on 8 years and had lived out its best years. i now have yearly reminders on my phone to rotate it 180 degrees.

IMG_1542.jpeg

IMG_1553.jpeg

being a mattress in a box and all it came in a tall box. kids approve of said box

IMG_1546.jpeg
IMG_1550.jpeg

hot tub at evening, stars starting to peek out. :notbadobama:

this one has the basic LED lighting package under the water, not really visible at all in this shot. if/when we get a similar one for the deck at the mountain place (engineering firm #2 whirring away on that reinforcement project but still many steps before that's done) I think I'll spring for the upgraded lights. this is fine here since we have other lights here and there.

IMG_1552.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
if/when we get a similar one for the deck at the mountain place (engineering firm #2 whirring away on that reinforcement project but still many steps before that's done)
to wit, today:

engineering firm 2 said:
Toshi,

We have finished evaluating the deck. We have a couple items that will need addressing. One of them are the existing piers supporting the deck. Adding the hot tub does increase the bearing quite a bit on those two outer piers. We have two options to address this.

1. Remove and replace the existing outer two piers and replace with larger pier diameters.
  2. Or add an additional beam below the hot tub area with two new piers.

Let me know if you have any questions.
me said:
I'd be inclined to go with whichever option you think would be the least expensive to actually build.

update with the actual recommendations:

Deck reinforcement recommendations, from firm 2.

12" existing to 16" piers x 2 at the corner. And new ledger board throughout, reinforced in between existing hangers with an extra 2 x 10", both this and the new ledger board bolted into the foundation as specified.

I will have this done if they recommend a contractor that can actually implement this. Well, assuming I can get the county to issue a building permit for it: I imagine I'll have to be creative and draw up plans myself.
deck 1.PNG
deck 2.PNG
deck 3.PNG

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Re earlier exploration of economics of the Powerwall, I’ll pay attention to what the on grid continuous power rating is of these. Recall that Xcel pays a one time incentive of $500/installed kW of continuous, grid connected power under Battery*Connect.