Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
No - it's all fuckin' stupid. But people want to "camp" without any of the actual stuff that comes along with "camping"...

I give my sister shit all the time, 'cause she's an RV "camper." :D
given that they drove from VT to UT for this trip one could certainly argue it'd make more sense to fly to SLC, rent a minivan, stay at hotels.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ran the AC for 252 hours in August of this year

ran it for 400 hours in August of last year, 221 in 2021.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
moving forward with Ion. will be a deal structured as short term same as cash, 0 interest so that Ion gets paid up front, then MPEI will pay me. how much is apparently up to 90%: "Our program will finance up to 90% of the total project cost".

waiting on design review committee input from HOA before signing things.
HOA design review committee approved it without niggling

MPEI will finance $23,716.61 of the total project cost (PV + heat pump) of $26,455.23 at a cool 1% APR x 10 years, one time $100 administration fee.

:notbadobama:

Will sign paperwork and get the ball rolling on this tonight.

update: all signed. double checking numbers because that sounds low on total project cost. but what they'll finance is what they'll finance—part of it is based off of what the projected energy savings will be. ok, numbers checked out. electrician not included in that but I'm ok with that.

will also get some nice credits and rebates from this, in exchange for floating the full costhalf of the cost of the heat pump until MPEI pays me, and for signing up for a bridge loan basically for the solar until the same:

- my responsibility will be about $4,200 between the difference between project costs and MPEI's financed amount, and the amount for the electrician, but:
- Fed cumulative credits between PV, heat pump, associated electrical work: $7,762
- CO credit for 10% of the heat pump equipment cost: $675
- Ion + MPEI one time credits: $2,700

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

most of the US would be shit to bike tour—thinking about the poor saps on the shoulder of highway 101 in Oregon. but in some other land that’d be a cool experience to spend a few weeks touring about self supported via a little bike trailer.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Both of these are actually moving forward! maybe.

A contractor is coming by tomorrow (with me not there clearly--I'll be in the hospital in Aurora) to check out the deck for the reinforcement project. If he agrees to do it and has a reasonable price I have the hurdle of the Grand County building permit to deal with--me making up architectural drawings? Sure, why not...
got a few contractors/builders to finally head out and eyeball the deck with the engineering firm's recommendations in mind.

first quote back from the guy referenced in the above-quoted post, from Lifestyle Construction... $34k.

:agree:

I'll go through with this for $10k. but $34k (+ the hot tub) ain't happening.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
got a few contractors/builders to finally head out and eyeball the deck with the engineering firm's recommendations in mind.

first quote back from the guy referenced in the above-quoted post, from Lifestyle Construction... $34k.

:agree:

I'll go through with this for $10k. but $34k (+ the hot tub) ain't happening.
"Buy a house in the mountains," they said... :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
DIY-save-for-granite-drilling combo
I may be drilling a 1" hole in the granite countertop by myself:

Granite Doctor: $214 for the hole, $328 for a clean and seal optionally
Stone Restoration Works: $175 for the hole only if with a $475 clean/polish/seal job, $295 for the hole alone

or I could swap out the hot only faucet for a hot/cold one and plumb that up. the hole is 1.5" per my 2015 design center paperwork when getting this house built

Screenshot 2023-09-22 at 2.39.29 PM.png

this actually seems like it'd solve my problems. reverse osmosis undersink, hot, cold all in one unit. just need to reduce the hole to 1", which might not even be an issue if the flange is a bit oversized as it likely is.

also went with the Rheem-via-Home Depot water softener with their flat rate installation option.

will this be as good as the $7-10k professional setups? probably not, at least on the water softener side. but this is about $2,200 all in. much better in that regard.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
first one that started at 1.3 is now pending sale, so we all will get to see what it ended up at in this climate!

View attachment 199086

second dropped from 949 to 899. still unsold.

that first house is literally across the street from ours. it's the near one on the right. ours is the salmon colored box on the left, of course

View attachment 199091View attachment 199092

sold for $1.025mm for its 2,267 sq ft ultimately, after starting asking 1.3. other recent comps on my very street:

Screenshot 2023-09-22 at 8.03.22 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-09-22 at 8.03.34 PM.png

shall cite these when I get my salmon box-house reappraised.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm going to be in Japan in a few weeks, recall, for the conference in Sendai. Anyway, I'm traveling with my parents and my mom has laid out quite the packed schedule seeing relatives here and there.

I do have a 24 hour free period while in Tokyo, though, and I have a JR Pass.

Shinkansen_map_201703_en.png

I therefore am going to head to Kanazawa via the Hokuriku shinkansen line. ~2 hour train ride at 160 mph, and every day there are these trains from Tokyo to Kanazawa:
  • 6:16 (express)
  • 6:28
  • 7:20 (express)
  • 7:52
  • 8:36 (express)
  • 8:44
  • 9:20 (express)
  • 9:32
  • 10:24 (express)
  • 10:32
  • 11:24 (express)
  • 12:24 (express)
  • 13:04
  • 14:24 (express)
  • 15:24 (express)
  • 16:24 (express)
  • 16:32
  • 18:04 (partial express)
  • 18:24 (express)
  • 19:04
  • 19:24 (express)
  • 20:12
  • 21:04 (express)
Mindblowing coming from a non-civilized country.

Anyway, while in Kanazawa I have an inexpensive but nice hotel booked near the train station, and from the same station there are various buses (one of which is run by JR thus is free given my pass) that I can take to get to Kenrokuen Garden. So I'll go there in the afternoon, walk about the city a bit and find dinner, hole up in my hotel, take the bus to the garden in the morning and back afterwards, then take a mid day shinkansen back to Tokyo to rejoin my family.

I should really move somewhere civilized.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I should really move somewhere civilized.
Looked into it and working as a rad in Japan is 100% infeasible. Would need to be fluent in medical level Japanese and pass their exams. And the pay is undoubtedly low (as the flip side of education being free).

If emigration is ever happening it’ll be to NZ.

Some photos from things as of late

IMG_1809.jpeg
IMG_1810.jpeg

needed a new 16 notch tool to mount up a new Ultegra bottom bracket on my acoustic belt drive drop bar bike. Old one with bigger external cup diameter was creaking, probably just because it was a touch loose. New one on for good measure and everything with a nice layer of poly grease: silent for the moment.

IMG_1765.jpeg
IMG_1764.jpeg

Blood donation trip via e-bike as promised. Returned a bathrobe and a USB-C MicroSD reader on way back

IMG_1754.jpeg

my Baby Aya tried an adorable 1/16 scale cello at Luther Strings

IMG_1727.jpeg
IMG_1725.jpeg

green mountain with Yuna

IMG_1672.jpeg
IMG_1670.jpeg
IMG_1671.jpeg

part of Mule Deer with Mariko. I think I posted these already, come to think of it

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Around town bike for eldest kid. Could potentially last her forever! Shimano STEPS mid drive, integrated battery, rack and fenders. No integrated lights, unfortunately.

popped on some Specialized open/hard shell panniers that’ll be the ticket to get her sparring gear to taekwondo. “Permanently” mounted them to deter casual theft

IMG_1815.jpeg

IMG_1816.jpeg

IMG_1817.jpeg

IMG_1818.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm going to be in Japan in a few weeks, recall, for the conference in Sendai. Anyway, I'm traveling with my parents and my mom has laid out quite the packed schedule seeing relatives here and there.

I do have a 24 hour free period while in Tokyo, though, and I have a JR Pass.

Shinkansen_map_201703_en.png

I therefore am going to head to Kanazawa via the Hokuriku shinkansen line. ~2 hour train ride at 160 mph, and every day there are these trains from Tokyo to Kanazawa:
Tokyo - Kanazawa and Kanazawa - Ueno (and then via commuter rail to Ofuna down past Yokohama to meet yet another relative for dinner!) shinkansen tickets are now reserved.

:)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
any locals looking for fitness gear?

I bid on some things, and won a few for what seems like decent deals

10/20/30 x 1 and 40 x 2 lb slam balls

a curl bar with those W shaped grips

one nice regulation weight 20 kg barbell with needle bearings

two kids-weight/"training" 7.3 kg barbells

going to drive in to work tomorrow then pop up north during the day to pick up the goods.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I bid on some things, and won a few for what seems like decent deals

10/20/30 x 1 and 40 x 2 lb slam balls

a curl bar with those W shaped grips

one nice regulation weight 20 kg barbell with needle bearings

two kids-weight/"training" 7.3 kg barbells

going to drive in to work tomorrow then pop up north during the day to pick up the goods.
said items were duly picked up. slam balls turned out to be very small! but dense.

IMG_1835 (1).jpeg

I do not have a bench, stand/power rack/cage, or plates, though. with good timing, Roller Auctions has picked up a sale from a fitness place up in Fort Lupton:

pick up Oct 5 or 6, in Fort Lupton. I'd need to rent a box truck with a liftgate for some of this stuff... but it seems a way to potentially get some cheap, quality gear that I'm in the market for. and some that I might bid on on a lark if I'm renting the truck anyway.

(Oct 6 works for my schedule... might move the planned water softener installation date from then for less time pressure, but that's not a big deal.)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
said items were duly picked up. slam balls turned out to be very small! but dense.

View attachment 201130

I do not have a bench, stand/power rack/cage, or plates, though. with good timing, Roller Auctions has picked up a sale from a fitness place up in Fort Lupton:

pick up Oct 5 or 6, in Fort Lupton. I'd need to rent a box truck with a liftgate for some of this stuff... but it seems a way to potentially get some cheap, quality gear that I'm in the market for. and some that I might bid on on a lark if I'm renting the truck anyway.

(Oct 6 works for my schedule... might move the planned water softener installation date from then for less time pressure, but that's not a big deal.)
You know you could just have the kids do pushups, right? :homer:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
kid independence milestone: we let them ride to and from their swim team practice tonight. 1 mile away on neighborhood multiuse paths (crossing a street at a light), lights on their bikes.

it went fine. recall that Mariko-kun has been riding to taekwondo at the mall for a few weeks now, which is more like 2 miles and change via the neighborhood paths the opposite direction.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
thoughts for this long down the road (7 years maybe? depends on the pace of my debt-payment project) Land Cruiser replacement:

- our PacHy is really the benchmark for interior volume for comfortably-garage-sized vehicles. it has 32.3 cu ft behind the 3rd row, 87.5 cu ft behind the second row with the 3rd row stowed into the floor as it so cleverly does, and 140.5 (!) cu ft with the second row pulled and the third row stowed. (2nd row must be pulled in the hybrid as the battery lives where the gas one's seats fold into the floor a la the 3rd row).

- I don't want anything smaller inside than my Land Cruiser, which would rule out newer Land Cruisers actually! anyway, my 100 has 20.8 cu ft behind the third row, 59.7 cu ft behind the second row (unclear if third row seats folded up or removed for this), and 90.8 cu ft behind the front seats with the second row either tumbled or just folded.

Kia-EV9-price-3.jpg

given the above as context, the Kia EV9 has 20.2 cu ft behind the third row, 43.5 cu ft behind the second (finding this was tough! everyone parroted just the figures flanking this; only the Wards Auto article above had it afaik), and 81.7 cu ft behind the first row.

so it's significantly smaller than my Land Cruiser despite having 7" of length on it, and worlds smaller than the minivan (noting that the minivan has more cargo volume behind the 2nd row than the EV9 does behind the first with all back seats folded in!)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Mountain Lion was ridden. Took some photos. Colors from Crawford Gulch Rd—park colors underwhelming.

IMG_1870.jpeg
IMG_1871.jpeg
IMG_1869.jpeg
IMG_1863.jpeg
IMG_1862.jpeg
IMG_1856.jpeg
IMG_1854.jpeg
IMG_1852.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
last month I did a mere 24 hours of moonlighting

this month I'm at 120 hours. probably can hit 132 hours by the end of the calendar month with a good effort.

/me answers the call when needed. and gets paid well for it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Filled up 23.0 gallons from a theoretical 25.4. Then grabbed the trailer. Still had some room left with efficient packing.

Haven’t sized out younger kids for the year from the rack o’ boots so only bringing up a few skis

IMG_0011.jpeg

incoming-0E02D5D3-95AB-4986-BD0D-61A8CC8EA565.png

IMG_0012.jpeg
IMG_0013.jpeg
IMG_0014.jpeg
IMG_0016.jpeg
IMG_0015.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Wife and kids seeing the redone main floor for the first time (at link)

IMG_0026.jpeg
IMG_0027.jpeg

New (small) master bath. Need a mirror or mirrors.

IMG_0032.jpeg

Built a TV console and popped the 77” LG A2 on it on main floor

IMG_0033.jpeg

Wife and kids built 5 of 6 counter stools

IMG_0036.jpeg

Screwed legs on dining table

IMG_0039.jpeg

Built another console in basement for existing 80” old ass Vizio, which cracked somewhere along the way, most likely when I trailered it up here some months ago.

IMG_0038.jpeg

replaced seatpost with post-recall one on Bike-

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
More weekend furniture progress and the recycle/trash we brought back. I should go drop off the trailer soon—they’re not open today anyway so exact time doesn’t matter.

IMG_0043.jpeg
IMG_0044.jpeg

55" OLED for foot of bed in the new master suite.

IMG_0051.jpeg
IMG_0052.jpeg

got one triple bunk assembled. another still yet to build.

IMG_0053.jpeg

sturdy IKEA dresser. have two more to build. hopefully my wife can do more of it next weekend we're up.

IMG_0054.jpeg

new Amazon bedside tables. between the outlet itself, the lamp, and the table there are 7 free USB ports, in addition to the USB-C cable, Qi phone, and Watch induction chargers. gotta have chargin'

IMG_0057.jpeg

I shall go return the trailer now and then go sort through all of this detritus, which ended up in my bay in the garage.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
here's how much single day kids group lessons cost at WP this season, for the record

oof (had to book 2 of these in addition to two multi-week blocks, as the first multi-week one is oddly Thanksgiving to Dec 16, and we're skipping Devo Dec 16 as we have two concerts to play in, and I don't think Thanksgiving will be worth it yet)

Screenshot 2023-10-01 at 8.48.16 AM.png

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
oh, I forgot the most important house update:

NOT A SWALLOW BUG TO BE SEEN

praise teh baby jeebus for that

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Reseeded lawn update

IMG_0069.jpeg

the stuff that looks like disseminated fungus is the GrowTrax that I mowed over. Figured that being mulch, fertilizer, and seed getting it spread out this way would help things

given that this was all bare dirt a few weeks ago I'm ok with this progress

on Wednesday Mile Hi Services is coming by. they shall mechanically aerate, chemically aerate, fertilize, and power overseed the lawns, which should aid in their health come springtime.

I've rolled back to twice weekly watering at this point and will move to once weekly for a week or two yet after this aeration to get the roots good and healthy. then when we start to get overnight freezes I'll shut it down for the season.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So on monthly statements there's a "pay over time" option for large line items at Chase. I'd looked once before and found that it had ~3%? or so in fees so never did it. And indeed per their verbiage the fee is entirely up to their own discretion, which kinda makes the "but no interest!" aspect of it irrelevant.

View attachment 200061

Anyway, I went through a few months of statements and sorted through the largest charges, noting that all of them were showing 0 monthly fee and 0 interest. I had an inkling that once I did this "My Chase Plan" business for one of these charges then the deal would change, so I put them in my handy budget spreadsheet and sorted them in descending order by amount.

The largest amount in the months I surveyed was this. (Looking back at this I probably should have gone back to the $36.1k x 2 charges from May or so, whoops.) I elected for this plan, because 0 interest is good.

View attachment 200060

And, as anticipated, suddenly the other charges didn't have 0 fee/0 interest options any more. So I didn't do these.

View attachment 200059

Cliffs Notes: Chase extended me some 0 fee/0 interest money, and I took it because math.
'tis a month later. and Chase has extended me some more 0 fee/0 interest money. largest eligible charges, in descending order of amount:

$5,326.53: that same Guerilla Gravity on 7/20 as in the above quoted post, later refunded ex 5% when I changed my mind after the DH bike didn't sell
$4,623.62: Elite Heat on 9/20, the 50% down on the master suite mini split heat pump setup
$4,428.00: Winter Park bookings on 8/17, for the elder kids' Devo + pass fees + small donation
$3,950.00: Koala Insulation on 8/22, for the blown in insulation

as before, I'm going to assume this 0 cost deal is no longer good after one is chosen, so I'm going straight up by the dollar amount to maximize the amount of 0-interest money.

Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 11.02.00 PM.png

yup. after putting this through then the Elite Heat charge all of a sudden didn't have a 0 fee/0 interest option. still not looking a gift horse in the mouth: this is great.

although it also effectively raises my credit utilization ratio more, which will keep my credit score depressed for longer. overall a decent trade, as the only thing the depressed credit score affects really is the timing of applying to refinance/increase the credit line on the mountain house HELOC, which I don't need to do.

I wonder if I'll get a new 0 fee/0 interest option presented to me each month. hmm.