Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The 3rd party lights inexplicably use a different socket and bulb for the turn signals. Awaiting parts to make this work—will wire it up myself basically.
Wired it up as promised. A bit unnerving cutting off stock connectors.

I now have turn signals up front once more. Turn signals that still flash at double time since the advertised built in resistors were insufficient. These LEDs will return to Amazon and I’ll get regular bulbs.

IMG_0719.jpeg
IMG_0726.jpeg
IMG_0721.jpeg
IMG_0722.jpeg
IMG_0727.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
If it is good for a house must be good for a car. Basically the same thing, what could go wrong?
I'll redo it with different connectors if you point me to what should be used in such a location. got to redo it anyway as my guess of which of two wires to use of the three on the stock connector has resulted in my parking lights being on full time.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'll redo it with different connectors if you point me to what should be used in such a location. got to redo it anyway as my guess of which of two wires to use of the three on the stock connector has resulted in my parking lights being on full time.
I would say the most correct way to do an automotive splice would be to use an automotive weather pack connector.

The easiest and OK route would be shrink fit solder connectors, I'd put an additional layer of heat shrink over them. Ideally applied with a heat gun but a lighter can be used if careful and patient.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I didn't want to solder. But looks like crimping is an acceptable alternative. Shall get one of those kits with a crimping tool as I'm not sure I trust the cutouts on my wire stripper for that particular use.

53694b77-55bd-46eb-bd56-4f05511835e0.__CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
What I think is the last renovation work payment is finally invoiced. $34,344 more. Oof.

Also invoiced now is the building permit fee for the deck reinforcement proposal. $412.50. This is a positive thing, moving forward in the process! (Still don't have a quote on executing the work from Zach/Zack of All Trades--he'd promised one on Sunday but this is the Way of the Mountain Contractor. Another legit sounding firm will provide an estimate in a week or three.)

Also moving forward in the process is my PNC HELOC refinance application, to increase the limit from $85k to $200k. This will give me breathing room which would be nice indeed for my sanity. I'm providing them various paperwork and have been provisionally credit approved. Appraisal not yet scheduled yet.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I now have turn signals up front once more. Turn signals that still flash at double time since the advertised built in resistors were insufficient. These LEDs will return to Amazon and I’ll get regular bulbs.
I take back my criticism: it was the incorrect wiring that did it. Redid said wiring (recall I’m going from a 3 wire Land Cruiser harness to a 2 wire Tacoma/4Runner one because the headlight maker is stupid) through trial and error, and now I have no perma parking lights and have normal speed turn signals. As desired.

update: and the old Nokians are back on. One last year on them. Tread is fine but they’re aging out, although being stored bagged in a dark, ozone generator-free shed when not on the vehicle means they’re probably as ok as 9 year old tires come.

IMG_0734.jpeg

Last edited:

Pneuma

Chimp
Nov 5, 2021
There you go with the weatherpak pins and crimpers, that’s the correct way to terminate your connections! It’s a little late now but often times you can remove the pins from the old connector and put them in the new different shape connector.

For when you have to splice, I use bare fully soldered butt connectors with glueing heat shrink cut longer than you think you need, like an inch either side of the connection.

Another note: wires should not be soldered together, always use crimp connections.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Photos of late

Baby Aya snoozing. Kitties. Third unpictured one has puked twice today.

IMG_0755.jpeg
IMG_0756.jpeg
IMG_0757.jpeg

strung up more lights on side of garage facing hot tub to be festive/for ambience. switched the depicted heat pump in the garage window over to heating today. probably should pull the kids' room window AC-only unit at some point soon.

IMG_0751.jpeg

gas is cheap

IMG_0749.jpeg

IMG_0754.jpeg

need yet another special tool for the lockring on this E6000^HE5000 STEPS setup on kid’s city bike: going to pull the motor cover to try to install an integrated light (but will probably be unable to update the software setting).

IMG_0743.jpeg
IMG_0744.jpeg

good kitteh fren. he is the only one who actually likes people

IMG_0741.jpeg

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Photos of late

Baby Aya snoozing. Kitties. Third unpictured one has puked twice today.

View attachment 202661View attachment 202662View attachment 202663

strung up more lights on side of garage facing hot tub to be festive/for ambience. switched the depicted heat pump in the garage window over to heating today. probably should pull the kids' room window AC-only unit at some point soon.

View attachment 202664

gas is cheap

View attachment 202665

View attachment 202666

need yet another special tool for the lockring on this E6000 STEPS setup on kid’s city bike: going to pull the motor cover to try to install an integrated light (but will probably be unable to update the software setting).

View attachment 202667View attachment 202668

good kitteh fren. he is the only one who actually likes people
I have been pretty happy with my universal BB Tool

1698425574674.png

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I get how the pipe wrench would work, just scuffing everything to hell. but how would this work in theory eh
When installing I wrap it with a bit of packaging tape to protect it, may scratch things up a little but it is a regularly replace BB, so I don't care. I also don't go all ugga dugga on it. I usually only remove a BB when it is getting replaced so I don't care what happens.

A hammer can be used with a small chisel to accomplish the same thing with a lot more damage.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
IMG_0787.jpeg

Latest minor headache (will be irrelevant for most part once the heat pump for this room goes in in 6 weeks): former loft radiant heat zone can’t get above 62. Maybe the zone is still shut off at the manifold?

IMG_0786.png

In good heat news, I turned the Denver hot tub heater down to 80F on Thursday night. After 24 hours or so it’s only drifted down 7 degrees so far. Insulation works.

IMG_0783.jpeg

IMG_0779.jpeg

did some work last night with much more on my plate for today. Highlights were installing a fingerprint/keypad door handle for the weird storage area, reinstalling the cellular shades in the master suite (huge shades are a pain in the ass to work with!), and setting up various TVs

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Latest minor headache (will be irrelevant for most part once the heat pump for this room goes in in 6 weeks): former loft radiant heat zone can’t get above 62. Maybe the zone is still shut off at the manifold?
For all y’all waiting with bated breath: it was this. Inflow and outflow to the zone shut off at the manifold, no doubt from when they repaired the loop.

also got the second triple bunk built, the last two dressers built (pro tip: IKEA uses Posidriv screw heads, goes together nicely with proper bit), wife got pictures hung, we got the giant mirror mounted successfully (that was a pain!), fixed a second floor deck board, soundly beat Mariko at foosball 10-1.

Still have one more day of work left before it’s ready for photos and reopening it for booking: long curtains in the master bedroom, faux room wall curtains for the basement, network extender to get reception in basement to get the TV online.

IMG_0792.jpeg
IMG_0795.jpeg
IMG_0797.jpeg
IMG_0802.jpeg
IMG_0803.jpeg
IMG_0805.jpeg
IMG_0819.jpeg
IMG_0820.jpeg
IMG_0827.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Still have one more day of work left before it’s ready for photos and reopening it for booking: long curtains in the master bedroom, faux room wall curtains for the basement, network extender to get reception in basement to get the TV online
Curtains for master bedroom ordered from Amazon. Went with a specialty company, Room Dividers Now, for the basement room divider curtain setup.

It's exactly the kind of product we are looking for for this space: aluminum track setup with 4 x 6' sections and then one 6' 90 degree curved section. 30 total feet of track to make two "walls", and corresponding 9' tall x 15' long x 2 panel curtains that one will be able to pull together to box off that section. I think I have one of those crappy regular blinds on one of the two walls of this fake bedroom instead of the nice cellular ones but not going to worry about that one bit for now—I'll never sleep down there anyway.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Morning goings on

(Yes the closet is rated for stepping on it as is the bathroom. Will pull out a longer ladder next time—dismount was sketchy)

IMG_2613.jpeg

IMG_0838.jpeg
IMG_0854.jpeg
IMG_0852.jpeg
IMG_0849.jpeg
IMG_0851.jpeg
IMG_0856.jpeg
IMG_0858.jpeg

IMG_2616.jpeg

Mary Jane

IMG_2619.jpeg

Berthoud Pass

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Crusty car (outside until I wash it! although I did break off as much of this as I could with a brush handle).
IMG_0871.jpeg
IMG_0872.jpeg
IMG_0873.jpeg

snow cover affects PV output, who knew
IMG_0878.jpeg
IMG_0877.jpeg
IMG_0876.jpeg
IMG_0879.jpeg

dressed up for Halloween Spooktacular with the symphony, but Baby Aya and I are staying home as she has a low grade fever still
IMG_0880.jpeg

that'd be Shuri-as-Black-Panther-2, McGonagall, Spidey from Spidey and Friends, and Cheer Bear

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the Great Boot Test Fitting has been done, and the 20.5 Lange win for Yuna this year. Yuna swimming in the 22.5 AT shell for kicks—a few years yet

Aya falls at a 16 as I measure her and that’s one of the few sizes I don’t have, so off to eBay.

Mariko will be in her fancy rear entry Nordica HF, either 23.5 or 24.5 if she grew, as I have them in both sizes.

IMG_0901.jpeg
IMG_0899.jpeg
IMG_0897.jpeg
IMG_0896.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
a subset of the things coming/to bring up for the last (hopefully) day of house-work on Nov 11:

- three more 20 x 30" canvas prints for unadorned walls
- regular curtain stuff for two bedrooms (tension rods, etc.)
- the fancy ceiling hanging room separate curtain setup for the basement
- a 7' beanbag chair for the corner of the rather empty feeling master bedroom. this thankfully will come packed in a relatively less bulky box, like modern mattresses.
- short 1' HDMI cord for Apple TV piggybacking on back of the upstairs TV, and short 1.5' USB-C cord to plug in a modern phone directly to the stereo
- a replacement full size power brush head for one of the stick vacs, the other head having been broken by a guest somehow (and reimbursed by Vacasa)
- extra router, and a new powerline network thing: powerline from the Centurylink router to the basement, and then the extra router and the TV down there plugged into the powerline thing, the router extending the network down to there as reception sucks now
- one of the Manplows and some extra shovels, so that we can all shovel the deck as a family activity :D
- extension cord for a powered recliner couch marooned in the middle of the basement too far from outlets
- little dot things to cover up a million lights from bedside tables, the TV at the foot of the bed, chargers, etc.
It shall be just my wife and me in the car, whichever car we bring up. and it will be a full load of stuff and a few hours work to get this set up.

then a formal clean, them setting up the new beds with linens (we provided the mattress and pillow covers, blanket, and comforter for each and they provide the other linens under this program), photo shoot, and opening up listings for Thanksgiving. got to block off our use weeks (Dec 3-4 and 10-11) and the planned heat pump install period (Dec 18-20). hopefully it rents out for $$$$ after that period.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
dropped to a 50t from the 54t. (46t was stock)
IMG_0906.jpeg

used new tools to pull off the lockring. figured out after a minute or two that it was reverse threaded :D
IMG_0907.jpeg
IMG_0908.jpeg

got covers off and found out this is an E5000, not an E6000. as such it doesn't have extra ports for accessories. so no integrated light goodness shall be happening. returned the to-be-integrated light.
IMG_0909.jpeg
IMG_0912.jpeg

put on proper crimped connectors (and crimped-on cable ends for the unused wire for good measure). some of those were finicky to get to stick in and click within the connector. but everything works now and no more wire nuts.
IMG_0926.jpeg
IMG_0929.jpeg

popped on a Freeze Miser. shall pop on the other in the pack on the other spigot once the snow melts. you turn the water on above it and above 37F no water comes out. below that it meters out some proportional to temp to keep it flowing and not frozen.
IMG_0930.jpeg

garage window heat pump was showing LO when the outside temp was very low, and wasn't doing anything to heat the garage. when it rebounded to 34 Freedoms (or possibly earlier than that) it decided it could pump heat once more and resumed its activities. in the meantime I popped a resistive heater in to at least keep the garage at ~60F.
IMG_0927.jpeg
IMG_0928.png

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
many of these projects were researched and then proved to be stillborne (Powerwalls, heat pump water heater, air source heat pump for Denver). but those that have gone through seem to be going ok:

- Denver water treatment: have the hot/cold reverse osmosis system. just need to set aside an hour to install it myself. no granite drilling required as it's replacing the existing instant hot. Rheem softener getting professionally installed next week. edit: just ordered a DIY group of PEX tubing/tools/fittings and a catalytic carbon water filter to put in myself upstream of the softener to complete the system
so I never updated y'all on this mini fiasco:

the hot/cold reverse osmosis system install went fine by my hand. not leaking, works well enough, minor play in it due to it being 1" diameter in a 1.5" hole but acceptable overall.

the contractor that Home Depot subbed out their supposed flat rate $650 installation job to was Delta Mechanical. they came out and quoted an installation cost for the water softener of that $650... + $2,600 on top of it. or was it $2,400? anyway, ridiculous.

so I complained to Home Depot and they got Plumbline to come out. after a rescheduling on their part their plumber came out today... and quoted $2,631 to install the water softener + the catalytic carbon filter (both of which I have in boxes in the basement--this all labor and installation parts).

also seems ridiculous.

on Thursday I have a local independent plumber coming out to quote that same work. hopefully less ridiculous. in either case looks like I'll be returning a bunch of PEX and assorted joints/fittings/shutoffs that I'd ordered from Amazon on Oct 5 at the time of the above post, as it's either going to be my provided hardware via the local plumber, or returning all this shit and going with the Plumbline-via-Costco system straight up as per their original quote!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
finally pulled the trigger and ordered weightlifting stuff (to make the barbells sitting in my basement actually useful). rack, bench, 255 lb of coated plates (with another useless to me extra barbell).

shall be heavy clothes hangers eh. the UPS driver is going to love me.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Also moving forward in the process is my PNC HELOC refinance application, to increase the limit from $85k to $200k. This will give me breathing room which would be nice indeed for my sanity. I'm providing them various paperwork and have been provisionally credit approved. Appraisal not yet scheduled yet.
apparently the appraisal was a drive-by one on 10/24/23. and came back at $1.5mm this time. :D

so everything's clear for the $200k limit.

Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 11.53.21 AM.png

I'm not going to sweat the details (like "cooling: none" or the HOA fee, which is actually $225/yr) as this works fine for my uses.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Sights from today. ~1200 pieces of candy. Out at 7:24. Would have been out earlier but we were out trick or treating and the bins laid empty in need of a refill for a bit.

IMG_0949.jpeg
IMG_0948.jpeg
IMG_0944.jpeg
IMG_0941.jpeg

IMG_0942.jpeg
IMG_0943.jpeg

OneWheel didn't kill me on way to Les Schwab

IMG_0938.jpeg

if I look cold it was because I was cold

IMG_0939.jpeg
IMG_0937.jpeg

did some miles on each

IMG_0935.jpeg

Yuna's Folsom skis for the season. they look like they should be fun. 122 cm for her this year, 1.75 DIN.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Booked a vacation in Mazatlan over spring break. Just me and wife. MIL shall be flown in to tend to the flock.

with any luck having the house rent out for that week shall cover this vacation completely.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
no flies in the ointment. it's happening. (this is for PV at the mountain house.)

View attachment 201442
turned out there was a fly in the ointment

in that Ion Solar was unable to work out something (sales guy wasn't specific) in a week of back and forth with the utility up in the mountains, MPEI. they'd never worked with them before.

so that deal is canceled, from their end. I've been shifted to Freedom Solar/Aurora Solar, who is offering the exact same price for simplicity for a similar 14 panel system. I think this one is a touch more powerful since each panel is 405W nominal: 5.67 kW. waiting to hear back on inverter/microinverter type before pulling the trigger with them. sales guy just replied to my email with a blank email :D

Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 8.26.34 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 8.25.44 PM.jpg