Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
If it were just me no way I’d be here: first day of Devo, limited terrain open, cold.

but it’s the first day of Devo. (and Aya’s multi week class.) so I am. And for all that it was an ok first day.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
looking over and resizing these now, I realize that the photo I posted that y'all are disgusted by was actually not even the lift line

that was the crowd of parents congregating to drop off kids for day 1 of devo. admittedly the pre-gondola opening Arrow line was stupid long/wide but this wasn't a line, just dropoff chaos on the first day.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
A product I’d like would be smart ski goggles: did my Watch and phone just buzz because the comp center has an urgent message for me about my kid? Or did my wife just text me something random, like how the errant pair of ski boots were in the shed as suspected?

The activation energy to take off gloves and check a device on a cold lift is nontrivial. (And don’t drop that glove! Tethers help but aren’t as useful when used with liners as the whole unit often slides off.)

A little overlay display in the corner with Siri voice control would do just fine. Tiny CarPlay corner, if you will. SkiPlay.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
looking over and resizing these now, I realize that the photo I posted that y'all are disgusted by was actually not even the lift line

that was the crowd of parents congregating to drop off kids for day 1 of devo. admittedly the pre-gondola opening Arrow line was stupid long/wide but this wasn't a line, just dropoff chaos on the first day.
I stand by my reaction. :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I stand by my reaction. :D
it'll be much more sane in the following weeks. we were packed into a smaller area than usual to boot because of some stupid Winterfest thing they had going, tents with vendors and a stage and all. plus groups will take off on the gondola as soon as all the kids arrive.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
haven't given up on this lifting business yet. still on my 2x/week schedule.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
wfh has its benefits when it's a light day

407421346_1485148928995648_8636038576564853767_n.jpg

going to pick up my Baby Aya from preschool and have her ride back in a bit.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
meanwhile the deck reinforcement idea appears to be 100% dead in the water with the current crew. plans as submitted to the county were not complete, and my efforts to get the engineer and the county guy to hash it out together apparently never resulted in anything. so no building permit # yet alone a permit, no permit, no HOA approval, no actual buildable plans for the deck reinforcement, let along a cost or contractor to actually build 'em.
an update on the deck-stravaganza:

- got another engineering firm to make up actual stamped-by-engineer plans, about which I've posted before
- got one outlandish "I don't really want the job" quote for executing it
- was waiting on HOA design review committee approval, which is stupid since there's no cosmetic aspect to it: that finally came through tonight
- still don't have any good estimates/contractors lined up, but have two possibilities in the hazy future (discounting Zach/Zack of All Trades, who seems to have flaked his way into complete radio silence), one of which is through the hot tub company guy's buddy (?) who is looking to move some deck work in-house

edit: now that HOA approval is in the building permit from the county has been approved as well

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
going to be $11.6k for the boiler replacement. ah, the joys of owning a house.

(but this one should last. and should be supportable, unlike the deprecated old tech one.)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
boiler replacement is starting today. maybe ending today, maybe tomorrow.

deck reinforcement estimate from a legit company as opposed to still-ghosted Zach/Zack shall be on Friday.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
it'll be much more sane in the following weeks.
To this end: Mary Jane is opening this weekend! Hopefully Olympia as well on the WP side to ease the pressure on Explorer and Prospector.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My sweet Baby Aya had her final round of testing today to see whether she might skip kindergarten, and it was apparently quite tiring (although she loved it!). I’m sitting in the garage with the car turned off to let her snooze now. Per what the psychologist told me informally at the end she did really well, and it’s looking likely that a skip will be in the cards.

Now if we can convince Mariko-kun to go to Denver Green (and thus bike there from our house!) then kid shuttling would be very easy! what with Yuna-chan and Aya-chan at Polaris.

Bonus shots of my handsome boi Land Cruiser downtown, cheap gas this afternoon, and the best mpg off of a tank I’ve ever logged in this car.

IMG_1776.jpeg
IMG_1775.jpeg
IMG_1770.jpeg
IMG_1773.jpeg
IMG_1774.jpeg
incoming-53654A3A-9674-48C9-AFBC-6D5CA78EAEC7.png

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I don’t think it’s supposed to fit like this. Going to return it and try a Blackstrap one. This for skiing and biking alike.

IMG_1789.jpeg
IMG_1790.jpeg
IMG_1791.jpeg
IMG_1792.jpeg
IMG_1793.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Whats the air tank thing on your bike for?
it is indeed an air tank. for a tiny air horn, an Airzounds. this one was gifted to me by the former NYC city streets commuter, @6thElement and now it's used to harass idiots parked in the bike lanes along my Baby Aya-commute route.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
boiler replacement is starting today. maybe ending today, maybe tomorrow.

deck reinforcement estimate from a legit company as opposed to still-ghosted Zach/Zack shall be on Friday.
boiler replacement continues. didn't end yesterday. maybe ending today, maybe ending tomorrow morning. all the Nests are offline (as expected as their low voltage wiring connecting them to the manifold and boiler are disconnected during this surgery).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
getting swole yo

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
boiler replacement continues. didn't end yesterday. maybe ending today, maybe ending tomorrow morning. all the Nests are offline (as expected as their low voltage wiring connecting them to the manifold and boiler are disconnected during this surgery).
New boiler. All that shiny piping below and besides it is new—doesn’t seem like an easy install!

I turned the heat pump heads on and lowered the set temps to try to direct the flow only to our (large and still not quite up to temp) master suite’s zone. Recall this suite is getting its own 2 ton single head mini split heat pump in a week and a half.

IMG_1827.jpeg
IMG_1828.jpeg
IMG_1829.jpeg

IMG_1830.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The master suite radiant zone isn’t heating. Probably something trivial (but not as trivial as the zone being turned off at the manifold—I checked).

anyway, in other news I’m glad we got up when we did. Floyd Hill extending back to the Evergreen Parkway appears to be a snowy parking lot. What a cluster.

IMG_1832.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The master suite radiant zone isn’t heating. Probably something trivial (but not as trivial as the zone being turned off at the manifold—I checked).
‘twas air in the fluid loop. Hydrotek guy purged it and now it is nice and toasty. Warm floors in the bathroom are especially nice.

8/8 zones now not calling for heat. I have the heat pump heads turned higher than these set temps so as to lean on the heat pump as much as possible to decarbonize.

IMG_1841.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Comp Center kids group photo

and why we can’t get anything smaller than my Land Cruiser. eventually we won’t need the wagon, sure. But their gear will be larger, too

IMG_1838.jpeg
IMG_1836.jpeg
IMG_1839.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Devil's advocate-ish, but all of that stuff would easily fit into a roof box.

And on that note, my old roofbox barely fits on my new, smaller car. But, If it was much shorter my skis wouldn't fit.
Wouldn’t it all be super cold then? And having a nice wide tailgate to have the kids sit on is key as well.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

anyway, in other news I’m glad we got up when we did. Floyd Hill extending back to the Evergreen Parkway appears to be a snowy parking lot. What a cluster.

View attachment 204819
Looks like the main event closure was because a stuck semi lost its trailer, blocking all lanes

Whoopsies

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Still on my 2x per week lifting schedule. Will do a bodyweight version of this when in Seattle.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
an update on the deck-stravaganza:

- got another engineering firm to make up actual stamped-by-engineer plans, about which I've posted before
- got one outlandish "I don't really want the job" quote for executing it
- was waiting on HOA design review committee approval, which is stupid since there's no cosmetic aspect to it: that finally came through tonight
- still don't have any good estimates/contractors lined up, but have two possibilities in the hazy future (discounting Zach/Zack of All Trades, who seems to have flaked his way into complete radio silence), one of which is through the hot tub company guy's buddy (?) who is looking to move some deck work in-house

edit: now that HOA approval is in the building permit from the county has been approved as well
estimate under way via the legit firm:

Toshi-
Friday is my office day and I dont go out to sites on Fridays and yes I did review the plans, write / submit a scope of work to my framing contractor for bidding, completed a take off for materials to the lumber yard (and that bid came back today) and I red lined the ROM budget for the estimate as bids come in we will enter them into the ROM budget. The actual site visit will be when my framer can meet on site.
I draw the line at $15k for the deck work (as part of it would be good for the house as well--fixing the flashing along the ledger board in particular). but who knows if I'll stick to this red line. :D

edit: and the heat pump install for the master suite is still on for Dec 18-20.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
A helmet to try for my bike commute. Will the GoPro mount feel weird all cantilevered like this?

IMG_1871.jpeg
IMG_1872.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Tight but fits over my face. Discount code for y’all to use

IMG_1880.jpeg

IMG_1881.jpeg

IMG_1879.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You will like that boiler, used them for radiant heating.
That's what it's for in this use case. 8 hydronic radiant heating zones being fed by it: 1 zone in basement, 2 on main floor, 5 for the 5 bedrooms upstairs. Separate domestic hot water heater next to it.