Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
This upcoming weekend is still unbooked, but the Christmas/New Years block is finally booked. $4,321,80 net rent, so will cover about a third of the boiler replacement.

:D

better than nothing, and there's still time for the house to book for this weekend to add an extra grand. (we won't be up because my wife has Fri and Sat concerts, I have a Sat concert, and then we fly out to Seattle on Sunday.)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
A helmet to try for my bike commute. Will the GoPro mount feel weird all cantilevered like this?

View attachment 204964View attachment 204965
Tight but fits over my face. Discount code for y’all to use

View attachment 204983
View attachment 204981
View attachment 204982
Tried the new helmet. Bad wind noise. Shall return it

IMG_1887.jpeg

picked up my Baby Aya and used regular helmet plus new balaclava. Better. Fogs up my glasses when the face thing is up

IMG_1888.jpeg

IMG_1889.jpeg

bonus shots of kids in new double ski bag (for transport to Seattle. Of the skis. Not the kids)

IMG_1883.jpeg

IMG_1884.jpeg

IMG_1885.jpeg

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Sun/Wed/Sat lifting for me this week.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
my friends

I must report to you that I learned something new today

I had thought that the Lexus RX 400h had been introduced at the mid-cycle refresh of the 2nd gen RX, that is for 2008 and 2009 when the RX 330 became the RX 350 but in the same egg-shaped shell. but, no, it was actually introduced earlier pre-refresh, in 2005

TMYK

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
still have clothes to pack up. but ski gear is ready to roll

skis.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Rental car review, Seattle December 2023 edition:

1) 2023 Toyota Sienna LE, rented from Avis SEA. 15k miles on odo.

sienna.jpeg

LE is the base trim. Cloth without any heat, lumbar adjustment (or support!), or memory. No moonroof. Like all Siennas of this gen the uncouth sounding 4 banger hybrid powertrain.

I returned it. What I think is poorly calibrated lane assist caused it to feel like it was pulling, and this one had more wind noise from the A pillar than the one we’d had in Reno.

2) 2022 Chrysler Pacifica (non-Hybrid) Limited, exchanged for the Sienna at Avis SEA later that night. 32k miles on odo.

pacifica.jpeg

Leather with memory and lumbar adjustment, pano roof, power everything down to power folding of the third row, wireless CarPlay and factory navi alike, and heated/cooled seats and a heated wheel.

As I’ve griped before the current Uconnect interface is actually worse in terms of number of clicks and customizability to that in our 2019 (and 2018 before it), but overall the experience is much better than that Sienna. Cowl is lower, dash less obtrusive, everything familiar, and the airiness of the sunroof, the heated touch points, and the memory seat like will be welcome in the perpetually dusk-appearing Seattle weather.

3) Tomorrow I shall walk my ass on south down to Enterprise West Seattle and pick up a Premium Crossover from them. VW Atlas or similar is what they say, so who knows what I'll get the keys to. I'll have it for a week, to use to head up to skiing even though I have even odds of getting a FWD model, I suppose.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
3) Tomorrow I shall walk my ass on south down to Enterprise West Seattle and pick up a Premium Crossover from them. VW Atlas or similar is what they say, so who knows what I'll get the keys to. I'll have it for a week, to use to head up to skiing even though I have even odds of getting a FWD model, I suppose.
Picked up the VW Atlas as promised.

Thoughts thus far:

- somewhat cheap feeling materials but this is probably a low-ish trim (no moonroof, cloth pleather)
- very roomy first and second rows. 3rd is marginal for adults: I hit the ceiling and leg room only passable if the 2nd row is scooted up with its crude manual mechanism
- spongy brakes
- doesn't feel big coming from the perspective of my Land Cruiser
- wireless CarPlay is nice and makes up for many a UI oddity
- overall very vanilla.

Edit: trim is one up from base. SE with Technology.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
acoustic biked at Tiger Mountain today

rootz be slippery, yo

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Got myself some new Intraknit long johns at REI. Rode the RapidRide bus down there: had to drive to Alaska Junction to catch it but as the truly local bus runs unreliably on 60 minute headways (! wtf) it was the only non-being traffic option.

lots of new high rises downtown.

IMG_0013.jpeg

IMG_0015.jpeg
IMG_0017.jpeg
IMG_0018.jpeg
IMG_0020.jpeg
IMG_0021.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the untold story with walking my ass 3.5 miles down to Enterprise on Tuesday was that my phone, 99% in my closed shell pocket during that very rainy walk, managed to fill itself up with vapor and water. the TrueDepth camera for Face ID, GPS, the cameras, then ultimately the cellular modem all crapped out over 24 hours or so. (recall that I had the phone's screen replaced on Monday at the swanky Apple Store at University Village.)

anyway, the resolution to that was that said same Apple Store replaced the phone outright yesterday, waiving the otherwise $99 fee for water intrusion since it's highly likely given the timing that it was their own handiwork that led to this outcome. not having cellular data or voice service on a cell phone is highly problematic.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Terrible conditions at Crystal. Turned in my extra rental SUV and might ship my ski gear home ahead of me (so as to make the trip through the airport easier, especially with the rental car shuttle here in SeaTac)

IMG_0046.jpeg
IMG_0044.jpeg
IMG_0052.jpeg
IMG_0053.jpeg
IMG_0030.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Shipping my double ski bag + two boot bags back since not dealing with them on the rental car shuttle, through the terminal on the way to bag dropoff, from baggage claim to home, etc. would be nice

$216 including insurance via UPS.com. would have been $120 in bag fees through the airline + the not insignificant hassle of dealing with them. done and done. shall drop them off at the local Alki Mail outlet down the road tomorrow morning once I figure out how to affix labels to them, probably just involving lots and lots of clear tape.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Shipping my double ski bag + two boot bags back since not dealing with them on the rental car shuttle, through the terminal on the way to bag dropoff, from baggage claim to home, etc. would be nice

$216 including insurance via UPS.com. would have been $120 in bag fees through the airline + the not insignificant hassle of dealing with them. done and done. shall drop them off at the local Alki Mail outlet down the road tomorrow morning once I figure out how to affix labels to them, probably just involving lots and lots of clear tape.
Bike shop bike box and then bikeflights? Planks might be too long I guess.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Back to Colorado goes the gear. I walked it the 0.2 miles to the mail shop where I could drop them off, prepaid. (Could have bought labels there but as an independent shop they’d have charged me much, much more.)

IMG_0055.jpeg

edit: scheduled to be delivered in Denver on 1/2. perfect.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Xcel's billing is super confusing

Screenshot 2023-12-24 at 8.47.29 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-12-24 at 8.47.44 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-12-24 at 8.47.35 PM.png

why is the amount due not the same as the two premise charges added together

Screenshot 2023-12-24 at 8.49.24 PM.png

and why do these net time of use kWh numbers make no sense. Xcel clearly delivered electricity net this past month yet this doesn't seem to reflect that in the net rows at the bottom

y tho, y

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Got my last paystub for the year. Made a few thousand more than I did last year, so I guess that's good.

What's truly good about it is that I basically retired from the elective weekend 5-10 PM shift pool and pulled this off, as I replaced that income with moonlighting (which is less stressful and a much better deal in terms of $$/actual effort put into it). Only will have done 12 such 5-10 shifts over the whole calendar year, including July 4 and Dec 31 at slightly better holiday-shift rates.

So I shall be able to continue to pay my various and sundry bills. yay
a year later it is now. did a shit-ton of moonlighting this year. between that, a base pay raise, and a small bonus ended up making a lot more money this year than in any prior year.

this excess work shall continue through next year, for better or worse, as we're 2.0 FTE down as of Jan 1.

much more moonlighting in my future, which is good since I haven't made any progress at all on replenishing my slush fund between the boiler replacement and sundry other one-off expenses for this and that. got to aim for a few normal months in a row and some rental income to get that on track, and as I've posted before the financial headwinds will recede in a few months (preschool tuition done forever in May and my student loans being done forever in 13 months in particular). if the prime rate drops a point or two that'd help the HELOCs quite substantially as well.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
one more debt paid off. this one was the Peloton Tread… which I indeed financed (via Affirm) because 12 mo x 0% APR with no fees is something that one simply does not pass up if the product is one that one would have bought in any case.

next up: preschool tuition after May, then my student loan remnants in January 2025.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
one more debt paid off. this one was the Peloton Tread… which I indeed financed (via Affirm) because 12 mo x 0% APR with no fees is something that one simply does not pass up if the product is one that one would have bought in any case.

next up: preschool tuition after May, then my student loan remnants in January 2025.
That reminds me - I really need to pay of my...

Wait - I've got no debt to pay off.

:homer:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
美味しい

IMG_0109.jpeg

green curry with brisket

IMG_0107.jpeg

chili oil fried rice with short ribs

IMG_0108.jpeg

crispy garlic chicken

IMG_0111.jpeg
IMG_0106.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Trying to stay active in this rainy, dark place

walk/jog/walk/run intervals/walk.

IMG_0121.jpeg
IMG_0122.jpeg

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Our small house is 6 zones, with radiant on the main floor, radiators downstairs in the mud/exercise rooms. I like it as the downstairs is 60, living areas 66 and the bedroom 64.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
apparently there is a leak in one of the ceilings at the mountain house

more details as I get 'em.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That seems less than ideal.
it's actually the best outcome. easier to fix, doesn't require we move renters out (house booked solid through Jan 5 with a group moving in as the plumber was looking things over, actually), and since it was one of the renovation lady's subcontractors who made this error the repair will shall be on her.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Back we go. Much easier to pack without the extra ski gear shipped ahead.

IMG_0144.jpeg

IMG_0143.jpeg

Asimov, The Complete Robot

IMG_0142.jpeg

IMG_0141.jpeg
IMG_0139.jpeg
IMG_0140.jpeg

Last edited: