Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Wait - you're actually going to try to ski Eldora on a big spring powder day?

maybe the choice of Eldora isn't so clear for Friday, both for access to it and because base depth is sitting at 34"...

Loveland is 52" base and their forecast from Tuesday night through Friday morning is for 17" on top of that.

Winter Park is at 75" base, and Joel at Open Snow is forecasting 8-12" Wednesday, 3-6+" Thursday. and I could pop up to the house late Thursday night and just cruise on over to Mary Jane on Friday morning. without Friday snow Berthoud should be open later...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
my plan will be leftovers at Loveland on Friday morning. Even if Eldora gets 3x the snow, I just can't.
I'll alter my plans to ski Loveland with you Friday morning if you're doing that. let me know by Thursday evening--will dictate whether I drive up to the house for MJ on Friday or not.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
will do! it will only be for the morning but I'll let you know either way.
cool. yeah, I'm only in for a few hours as well. got to jet back to Denver mid day, pick up eldest kid, take her to belt testing for taekwondo... then drive back up to the mountains with the whole family.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
cool. yeah, I'm only in for a few hours as well. got to jet back to Denver mid day, pick up eldest kid, take her to belt testing for taekwondo... then drive back up to the mountains with the whole family.
You're already traffic.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Made it out skiing for the afternoon. First with just my wife and Baby Aya then the whole crew. videos on the bookface if bored

IMG_1579.jpeg
IMG_1577.jpeg
IMG_1576.jpeg
IMG_1578.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I should take Nick’s advice:

- find some sufficiently different than current quiver 90-95 mm skis that I’d actually like to ski downhill on
- eBay up some Pivot 12 or 14 bindings just to use their heel pieces
- get a Cast Second Ski Kit and have a shop mount it up (toes of either flavor would be shared between the two sets)
- …
- profit
To this end, the Mindbender 89Ti looks like it’d be fun for groomer days with my wife while not being confined to just that:

And it’d be lighter for hiking uphill. I placed a bid on some Pivot 12s on eBay, too. (Sadly they’re only boring black. What can ya do)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I placed a bid on some Pivot 12s on eBay, too. (Sadly they’re only boring black. What can ya do)
so Bobleisure will sell me new Pivot 12s in boring black or kinda offensively colored Forza 3.0 for $220.08 shipped

eBay ones are $152.50 (with me not winning ) at the moment + $8.33 shipping. + I think they charge tax, which looks on the order of 12% or so from prior orders! I'll do $170.08 all in for the eBay one as $50 for misplaced vanity seems reasonable, which going backwards would come to an amount less than the current bid. so I'm out.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I feel attacked.

If you want, I can check with the shop dude in Breck that sold me my Pivot 12's last spring - they're running deals right now since it's the end of the season...
if you could check that'd be great, but I doubt they can touch Bobleisure

wait, that doesn't sound right at all

(somehow the European outfits can just radically undercut on prices. this is where I got Mariko's Mindbender 106Cs from)

edit: Watz’s buddy has come through and beat off Bob… er, beat Bob’s offer

edit 2: with tax Watz’s buddy’s price was a pittance lower than Bob’s. Local business staying somewhat local though, and they don’t have to carry it as inventory.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Tried to get lottery tickets today, but stymied by the machine being broken at my local 7-Eleven. At least I got a chance to tool around my neighborhood on my sweet electric minibike.

Bonus squishy-face look from me being all crammed into the largest TLD helmet size made.

IMG_1614.jpeg
IMG_1615.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
To this end, the Mindbender 89Ti looks like it’d be fun for groomer days with my wife while not being confined to just that:
a non-Chinese made option might be a Meier Wrangler, made here in Denver yet not super expensive like also made in Denver Folsom skis:

134-94-118 nominal in 185 cm length. I'd get the 180.

or:

Meier Quickdraw. 181 cm as I'd get, 134-88-111 nominally.

edit: I emailed the Meier peoples to ask what they'd recommend. :)

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
garage is pressure washed

shed is rearranged to non-ski configuration

initial lawn care things done for lawns

hot tub was hot tubbed

now time to finish my wfh day. (also was on nominally in the morning but that was a work-defined half day that took an hour. this afternoon one is a time defined one, 1-4:45 or so.)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
a non-Chinese made option might be a Meier Wrangler, made here in Denver yet not super expensive like also made in Denver Folsom skis:

134-94-118 nominal in 185 cm length. I'd get the 180.

or:

Meier Quickdraw. 181 cm as I'd get, 134-88-111 nominally.

edit: I emailed the Meier peoples to ask what they'd recommend. :)
they responded:

Hey Toshi,

Those are definitely two good options you have brought up. Based on the type of skiing you are doing we would recommend the Wrangler in the 180's to be a great fit for you and would be a great addition to the line up of skis. We have a demo of the Wrangler 180 here at our factory in Denver if you wanted to try them out before buying. Hopefully this helps, please let us know if you have any other questions!

Cheers,
The Meier Skis Team

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Demo booked. Pick up Friday, ski Saturday, return Saturday.

Thought about taking the Amtrak to Winter Park or Snowstang to Copper but the return trip might be too late to return the skis. Plus it's not super convenient. $69 or $25 for those options + getting myself to the terminal.

Wrangler_web.jpg

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I've seen a bunch of videos similar to this over the last while. Do these dudes seek out vulnerable slopes and send it, hoping for a slide? Like, hey look there's a huge slide happening to my right, now's a good time to toss in a backflip!!

One wrong slip and you're buried, all while one of your buddies captures it on video. It kind of seems like they are on the verge of promoting risky behavior for views - but wait, I guess that is what the internet is these days.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I've seen a bunch of videos similar to this over the last while. Do these dudes seek out vulnerable slopes and send it, hoping for a slide? Like, hey look there's a huge slide happening to my right, now's a good time to toss in a backflip!!

One wrong slip and you're buried, all while one of your buddies captures it on video. It kind of seems like they are on the verge of promoting risky behavior for views - but wait, I guess that is what the internet is these days.
definitely not prudent choices going on

for example, I bet they didn't even choose Cast bindings to minimize chance of ACL injury when they get buried and twisted around, yo

:D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

24 mo (RWD) Ioniq 6 lease. $239 down. $239/mo x 24 mo.

that's getting kinda close to just gas costs for my Land Cruiser... 1300 miles in a month would cost that (assuming tax on the lease). oh, but the tax credit!

$5k state for that. that's $208/mo off the net price right there! holy shit. maybe even the AWD model given this at $319/mo x 24 mo, $319 at signing.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

24 mo (RWD) Ioniq 6 lease. $239 down. $239/mo x 24 mo.

that's getting kinda close to just gas costs for my Land Cruiser... 1300 miles in a month would cost that (assuming tax on the lease). oh, but the tax credit!

$5k state for that. that's $208/mo off the net price right there! holy shit. maybe even the AWD model given this at $319/mo x 24 mo, $319 at signing.
Man... that all sounds *SUPER* suspicious. Can you do my research for me and let me know if this deal is for real? :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
inquired at a few local dealers and this deal apparently just doesn't exist on the ground here

meh
I've got a quote in front of me that I'm apparently too stupid to parse

Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 7.24.46 PM.png

that $15,350 in rebates includes the signed over state (net $5,350) and the implied Federal passed through credit, too.

what I don't get is how that works out to $334.67 if the net cap cost is below the residual. how

edit: figured it out after plugging in numbers to a calculator. must be a really bad money factor. like 0.005 (12% equivalent) bad.

Last edited: