Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
cool. I don't really want to pull off the surround and pull out the microwave again. so saving that for later. :D

if/when it trips again I'm going to replace the breaker.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
cool. I don't really want to pull off the surround and pull out the microwave again. so saving that for later. :D

if/when it trips again I'm going to replace the breaker.
I think you would get some good use out of starting to swap out your legacy breakers for wifi smart breakers. with the app on your phone you can track usage, and it actually will tell you when an appliance is near its end as they tend to spike in power consumption before shitting the bed, especially refrigerators and HVAC appliances. I like the fact I can remotely turn on and off a breaker from my phone.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I think you would get some good use out of starting to swap out your legacy breakers for wifi smart breakers. with the app on your phone you can track usage, and it actually will tell you when an appliance is near its end as they tend to spike in power consumption before shitting the bed, especially refrigerators and HVAC appliances. I like the fact I can remotely turn on and off a breaker from my phone.
He has a Samsung fridge. It was near the end of its life when the shipping container landed in Long Beach.

Edit: :rant:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
With a bigger one, problem solved.
exact same 20A AFCI one queued up to go in. scuttlebutt is that there was a bad batch of Siemens AFCI breakers some years back. and these inside breakers are all from 2015. (outside subpanels are a mishmash of Siemens and GE, with some newer circuits and breakers in the mix from the second EVSE line and the hot tub.)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
this sounds about as useful as stoney's pay the mortgage off with the HELOC idea

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
IMG_2802.jpeg
IMG_2801.jpeg
IMG_2800.jpeg

hot tub time. I am a bit pink from yardwork and other instances of hot tub time

IMG_2803.jpeg

deployed the cantilevered, misting umbrella for the first use of the season

IMG_2804.jpeg

relocated said umbrella to the edge of the newly expanded pad. this involved moving the four water-containing weighted bits in its base individually. water is heavy: who knew

(that's cat puke on the mat there. the sun is not magically making it disappear, sadly)

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
IMG_2805.jpeg

I’m going to quick disconnect all the things:

- umbrella mister
- spray wand
- big PVC hose’s GHT adapter end
- the connection from the hose reel to the faucet itself?
- pressure washer

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the astute reader will recall that due to the finding of a non-cancerous but unfavorable histology polyp on my colonoscopy this month I got referred to a research study where I could get genetic testing. I spit out the saliva sample for them, FedExed it back to them, and got the results today.

as expected given only weak family history (one cousin who died from early onset colon ca, but otherwise polyps but no cancers in anyone within memory) no clearly pathogenic mutations.

Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 11.58.08 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 11.59.24 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 11.59.00 AM.png

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
the astute reader will recall that due to the finding of a non-cancerous but unfavorable histology polyp on my colonoscopy this month I got referred to a research study where I could get genetic testing. I spit out the saliva sample for them, FedExed it back to them, and got the results today.

as expected given only weak family history (one cousin who died from early onset colon ca, but otherwise polyps but no cancers in anyone within memory) no clearly pathogenic mutations.

View attachment 212397View attachment 212398View attachment 212399
So your ass is uncertainly significant.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Back yard: overseeded yet again, after clawing at the affected areas with a rake.

Some patches here and there never took root after last summer’s start from scratch affair, and several more areas by the new concrete work took a beating as expected with the crew setting up forms, pouring, etc.

Rachio set to water daily x 2 weeks, then back to the twice per week routine so as to not get the grass too water-dependent with shallow roots.

On the upside, the kids are actually playing out on the lawn. Eldest goes out to shoot arrows, and the younger two go out to do gymnastics and play on the climber.

front lawn is still almost entirely for show. No one plays there although I should set up the ramp and jump my bike onto the grass some weekend day.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Initially thought you meant SOC on the moped, then realized you meant the busy.
I guess I could dig down and get percentages somewhere in the interface or on the phone app if connected instead of the crude 5 bars on the bar

(Was somewhere in the 3/5 bars showing range at the end, which could be 60-79%, no?)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Another flat on the regular commuter so a slow(er) ride in on the cargo bike.

IMG_2880.jpeg
IMG_2881.jpeg

It is time to switch the commuter to normal size tires so I can run bulletproof Schwalbes. 26 x 4” is just a stupid tire size. Local shops won’t touch the hub motor so either I do it (I’ve built wheels before) or ship the hub motor to Vancouver, BC for ebikes.ca for them to rebuild it.

For the front wheel makes more sense to just have Universal Cycles build up a brand new wheel: hub that I spec will be nicer anyway.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
What makes them afraid to touch the hub?
many shops don't really build wheels any more, I figure. and having a hub with a big ass flange and thus weird spoke lengths and angles weirds them out on top of it. like it'll have to be a 1x pattern, 2x max for the angles, I figure.

they're not hurting for business as it is, I guess

still waiting for the ebikes.ca people to return my email. (and still also waiting for the Rocky Talkie people to decide if I get a discount before ordering me up some 5W GMRS walkie talkies. got my GMRS license in hand now. :) )

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
If all else fails, I could probably get this guy to build you the wheel. It says he's full, but could be convinced with beer I drop off. :)

Toronto based, though..

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
homeowner's insurance has sure gone up, eh. on the mountain place, no claims, hydrant literally at the end of the driveway, fire station a mile away:

2021: $2,199
2022: $2,400
2023: $3,109
2024: $4,399

same company, same limits, nothing changing besides the year.

and in other news, electrical work up there is going to cost me almost twice what I had back of napkined it to be. but since this guy is reliable and this is the mountains, this is thus what I shall pay up.

Screenshot 2024-05-29 at 8.39.02 PM.png

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
house budget thus far (noting that there'll be significantly more rental income come August and then over Christmas break, albeit still far outweighed by the current-through-May expenses. property taxes and insurance are already reckoned for the whole year):

$2,702 income net of Vacasa maintenance, management, linen program fees

$3,156 utilities (trash, plow, internet, electric, NG), and this burn rate will rise as I'm adding Starlink in a few weeks
$20,207 property tax, mortgage interest, home insurance
$45,217 purchases and improvements. this includes the value of the hot tub, the new hydronic boiler the house needed over the winter, the above electrical work, various small purchases (Washlet, stand up paddleboards, games, etc.). This does not include the still-indeterminate total price of the deck reinforcement, or the cost to move the hot tub from here to there, so likely $70k all said and done.

and meanwhile it probably hasn't appreciated this year, in this climate of super high interest rates. (on the other hand, it has appreciated perhaps 90% over my original purchase price thanks to the tide of the market and the renovations.)

looks like it'll be another year of solid losses booked against my taxes even if income ends up at, say, $20k through the new year. and I'll be taking portions of the initial renovation work as losses booked for a long time yet.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Denver premiums for the same period:

2021: $1,316
2022: $1,710
2023: $3,692

there was a water damage claim along the way. but still quite the change.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
State of the yard: front doing well. Back is good where good. We shall see if my reseeding takes. Strip along photo left is the sod I got from a neighbor going xeriscape.

IMG_2884.jpeg

IMG_2883.jpeg

Last edited:
homeowner's insurance has sure gone up, eh. on the mountain place, no claims, hydrant literally at the end of the driveway, fire station a mile away:

2021: $2,199
2022: $2,400
2023: $3,109
2024: $4,399

same company, same limits, nothing changing besides the year.

and in other news, electrical work up there is going to cost me almost twice what I had back of napkined it to be. but since this guy is reliable and this is the mountains, this is thus what I shall pay up.

View attachment 212551
Home insurance companies tend to do that,