Quantcast

kingLatency

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
Northampton, MA
That's a pretty commonly used program. I've never used it myself, but a lot of the dpreview forum users seem to use it. I might give it a try, it might make my S45's ISO 200 and 400 a bit more satisfying. 200 is usable as it is, though.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by kingLatency
That's a pretty commonly used program. I've never used it myself, but a lot of the dpreview forum users seem to use it. I might give it a try, it might make my S45's ISO 200 and 400 a bit more satisfying. 200 is usable as it is, though.
cool. since i'm not really shooting anything nowadays in any case, it doesn't really matter. :D

i think i am riding this weekend tho so there may be some pictures. where and when is still being worked out, but apparently there's a pretty healthy portland group (man, can't think of the proper word to use here, getting slow in the head :dead: ) here on the :monkey:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
so i decided to ride the evil on whatever trails may present themselves this weekend. to this end i gave it a once over, swapped the tires for the conti vertical pros, put on a "normal" seat... but the bike is bugging me:

for a month or two there has been a strong creaking noise coming from the front end. i had assumed it was just me having been lazy tightening down the headset when i swapped stems. however, i tightened it down quite snugly tonight and the sound remains unabated. part of it seems to be the disk brake creaking, but another component definitely seems to be radiating from the crown/headset junction. i fear that my z1 might be ill. time to bring the bike into the shop. :dead:

(also my rear rim is quite wobbly :D . but that's clearly my fault, from my attempts at learning 180s...)

(also x 2: i can't bunnyhop too well in flip flops. go figure. confidence thing? good thing this has an easy and apparent solution, not that my bunnyhops or riding feels dialed in general at this time :D)

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Grease the headset-handlebar clamping bolts and the interface between the handlebars and stem. Good luck.
good idea, but apparently this creak is coming from the crown (my thought) or the headset reducer cups (the mechanic at river city bicycle's thought).

new bike -- not bikING mind you -- pics coming up, evidence of one of the two times i rebuilt my fork today. now it's at 130mm, and at the time of the photo was at 140mm :eek: by mistake, with no rebound springs. oops. all good now tho, thanks keith.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by WTGPhoben
Here's more pics from my aforementioned excuses for not riding (I think toshi has already seen most of em)...

http://www.phoben.ath.cx/cgi/pgal/galbuild.cgi?range=1502&style=gal1

...and in one week my excuses will be no more.
cool stuff. some of those white background pics turned out to be quite cool looking, especially the one with the wire curling around to the left.

i have pics from today's ride, but the camera is in the car (in the garage) and i'm lazy and tired. hmm, what to do

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
...and in one week my excuses will be no more.
Aah good, as in 1 week I should have my bike. Got to look at it adoringly yesterday when I went to give them my pedals. Pics soon. Good luck finishing up your work, Keith.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
i'm thinking that i might not get a vp free after all. availability will be late in the season, and, set up how i'd like it, it would run about $4k. what's caught my eye now is the giant dh bikes. available used, they have normal seat tubes, and i saw one with a 32t front ring being pedaled around on the "shore" type trails of this weekend...

ok, maybe the seat tube isn't entirely straight:

but, then again, the vp free has a jog in the seat tube... note that the pictured frame is a 18.5" and i'd definitely be getting the 16.5", as my 16.5" xc ride suits me well with the seatpost fully extended

kingLatency

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
Northampton, MA
The coolest thing about the flash is that it's completely auto without TTL and without any sensors. It goes by the distance you've focused at and the film speed and doesn't need anything else.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
The coolest thing about the flash is that it's completely auto without TTL and without any sensors. It goes by the distance you've focused at and the film speed and doesn't need anything else.
huh. it's like the precursor to e-ttl II that the evil oil companies stamped out :eek: :D

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
oil companies, what?
ya know, like the 100bajillion mpg carbs and the magic venturi funnel systems :D heh

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
new sneaks for the evil. slow reezay == really soft! :eek: :D hopefully just the ticket for these wet and slick pac nw logrides.

and a rare sighting of an old classic, when undamped elastomer "suspension" was de rigeur:

and the other pics from my stroll today

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by Quadari
I'd just like to point out that we're now on 100 pages of this thread.

And it's still called "Toshi's ride pics"

:p
yay me. you CAN change the number of posts per page... (i'm "only" on page 38 myself... :D)

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
word of the day: gah. why? a) still moderately hung over, b) narlus reports, as an owner and lynn woods rider, that the giant dh isn't what i'm looking for. so back to square one.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Originally posted by Toshi
word of the day: gah. why? a) still moderately hung over, b) narlus reports, as an owner and lynn woods rider, that the giant dh isn't what i'm looking for. so back to square one.
You know you want the VP-free :) (isn't it a little spooky that if you google for 'santa cruz vpfree' it says " are you sure you don't mean 'santa cruz vpp free.' i think it's spooky)

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by Barbaton
You know you want the VP-free :) (isn't it a little spooky that if you google for 'santa cruz vpfree' it says " are you sure you don't mean 'santa cruz vpp free.' i think it's spooky)
google is spooky in that way. http://www.google.com/search?q=goats+e&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

DID i mean goatse? :eek: :dead:

hehe, anyway i do like the concept of the vp free mucho. the late availability is a huge turnoff tho. hmm. hmmmmmmmm

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell

DID i mean goatse? :eek: :dead:

hehe, anyway i do like the concept of the vp free mucho. the late availability is a huge turnoff tho. hmm. hmmmmmmmm [/B]
that could be a good thing tho. give you time to save your pennies as i've recently discovered is necessary with santa cruz :rolleyes:

Quadari

Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
Washington, DC
hehe. i've actually never seen goatse, thankfully. but it's a slashdot legend, along with the "penisbird"

http://www.google.com/search?q=penisbird&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

:D
Yes...aparently a whole bunch of the slashdot code is written to try and prevent people from secretly posting links to either goatse or tubgirl.

Here's the link that I read it from:
http://boingboing.net/2004/01/16/goatsecx_taken_offli.html

Have you seen the Goatse prime generator?

It uses the original Goatse picture, which I don't know if I should post here...

But if you search google for "goatse prime" then you'll find it.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
aghagh

in non-goatse news :D i went dirt jumping today, and actually got the balls to hit a decent size double. in other words, i have graduated from the kiddie jumps. this double was about the size of the middle line at the fenway jumps if that helps. yay me. the little bmx kiddies were impressed that i didn't kill myself.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
no pics from today's riding. springfest, eh?

anyway, hit up post canyon so some good north shore style trailriding, then hitting some drops/walking some drops and wimping out, then some dirt jumping. ahhh, a full day :D

oh, and i have decided that i don't want a vp free. specs are finally up on santa cruz' website and all sizes have the same 32.3" (i think, might be off on the final decimal) standover. not cool. i definitely don't want a tall bike, just one with lots of travel :D

one cool bike narlus/tim has pointed me towards is the knolly v-tach. heard anything about this bike, guys?

http://www.knollybikes.com/features.html

it has the same crazy evil-like seattube angle, but has decent standover and looks sweet. only problem: $2600-2800 for the frame only. hmmmmmmmm. swinging an entire build in the 3 months that i have left at my current job might be tough.

a nice big pic not inlined as to not screw with the page's formatting: http://www.knollybikes.com/photos/vtach_large.jpg

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
eh, i have decided that the knolly definitely is too expensive. maybe if i was canadian :devil: (no, seriously, it's priced in loonies or toonies or whatever the canadian dollar is)

another one under consideration: transition dirtbag, which unfortunately shares the same rear suspension setup as my old and unloved stinky. geometry is different, however, and it's a local company. finally, $1650 for the frame AND a 888R, not bad, eh?

http://www.transitionbikes.com/DirtBag.cfm

hmm, i wonder if the frame is made in taiwan even though the company is based out of seattle... :confused:

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
eh, i have decided that the knolly definitely is too expensive. maybe if i was canadian :devil: (no, seriously, it's priced in loonies or toonies or whatever the canadian dollar is)

another one under consideration: transition dirtbag, which unfortunately shares the same rear suspension setup as my old and unloved stinky. geometry is different, however, and it's a local company. finally, $1650 for the frame AND a 888R, not bad, eh?

hmm, i wonder if the frame is made in taiwan even though the company is based out of seattle... :confused:
hey, the taiwanese are people too.

and 10lbs. Thassalotta bike frame.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
hey, the taiwanese are people too.

and 10lbs. Thassalotta bike frame.
plus i probably identify with the taiwanese more than joe sixpack, eh? :D would still like to support usa or canadian schmoes if possible, tho (i'm waiting to hear back from them on the country of origin q).

yeah, 10 is a lot. but that's lighter than a big hit, for instance, and quite a few lighter than some of the big bikes i've seen on the trails here, giant dh, banshee scream, (big hits), bullits, rm6/rm7s...

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
I like the bricks one and the railing with bolts one. The bricks one would be a LOT better at, say, f/4.
cool, you got it :thumb:

yeah, i agree. effect is overdone :D . but then again, when i set out this morning my goal was to shoot a whole "roll" all wide open, so i did.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Right, since you haven't explored low DOF before. :p
i've also explored infinite dof before, with all the f/16-on-the-fisheye shots from the road trip. my opinion is that out of focus areas are where true art is expressed. :devil: er, yes. or something like that heh