Quantcast

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
You guys do the Grizzly -> W Glenwood float?
Not exactly sure what we did. On the Two Forks Roaring Fork River until it joined the Colorado at the park in town where we ended up. Sedate one as to allow for my tiny Baby Aya to come along. It was fun enough and we’ll go on others as she embiggens herself

Last edited:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Adventure Park. Defiance coaster is fun. Day-star is a hot star

IMG_4523.jpeg
IMG_4521.jpeg
IMG_4516.jpeg
IMG_4531.jpeg
IMG_4529.jpeg
IMG_4527.jpeg
IMG_4534.jpeg
IMG_4532.jpeg
IMG_4535.jpeg
IMG_4539.jpeg

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
edit 2: did one last juggling act to kick another thing to a short term promo rate debt x 12 months (0% APR, 3% fee). this should let me get my taxable account to my magic $100k number this month. then the paying down of the high rate debts project will start immediately, assuming monthly cash flow allows for it.
juggling trick: successful. it'll ding my credit score for a few months until the algorithms catch up to the proportionately reduced balance on the donor accounts.

but with the deposit to Betterment I just put in I'm within a few cents of $100k in my slush fund/taxable account. which was my goal for the Japan 2025 trip and all.

so now on to killing off some debts (while still drawing a bit more on said HELOCs for the roof upgrade whenever that comes. still no estimate!). first up will be that Slice 8.99% loan. then the floating PNC HELOC at 9.80% after that, with the forthcoming projected FOMC rate cut to help the HELOC rates out, to my benefit.
The moonlighting cash/available hours is going to dry up as we get more fully staffed (in September—two more come next July), but for now I’m partaking heavily. Busiest month yet. $30k in moonlighting alone this month, and I paced it out so as to not feel any more burnt out than my baseline.
and then next month should be able to take another big chunk out, quite possibly killing the whole rest of that Slice loan that month.

edit: was a few cents shy of $100k. but I'd bought a decent chunk deliberately on the on-sale days during that temporary dip in the market. now up past $105k and Betterment furthermore harvested some tax losses from the episode. win-win, buying low.

Last edited:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Hot tub Oh Yuk-ed, scrubbed down a bit, drained, and disconnected from power. It’s ready for its trip west on Monday now. (I’m on call tomorrow so got it done today.)

IMG_4550.jpeg
IMG_4557.jpeg
IMG_4558.jpeg
IMG_4555.jpeg
IMG_4553.jpeg
IMG_4556.jpeg

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Upon driving back home after dropping off a kid for a sleepover I was in a cluster of 9 cars stopped at a light across 3 lanes going one way. Of the 9, there was:

- my Busy Forks
- two current gen RAV4s
- one last gen Lexus RX
- a Scion tC
- and a Pontiac Vibe

6/9. Not bad, Toyota group. (The surprising thing is that there wasn’t a 4Runner or a Tacoma or two in the mix, I suppose.)

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
if any of y'all have a Bullfrog hot tub with two round filters then you should bid on these supplies I have up on eBay:

edit: the supplies sold... to someone who lives less than 4 miles away from my Tabernash house! I still shipped them, since they paid for shipping, rather than carting them up in person on Labor Day weekend when we'll be up.

Last edited:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
The deed is done

IMG_4570.jpeg
IMG_4572.jpeg
IMG_4573.jpeg
IMG_4582.jpeg
IMG_4587.jpeg
IMG_4596.jpeg
IMG_4597.jpeg

IMG_4595.jpeg

bonus Starlink speed test. I put the dish on a little table (outside, facing north) to get it out of future snows.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
middle and younger kids registered for All-Mountain Development. eldest shall just ski with us this season :)

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Given that I have hypermobility I get echocardiograms every few years. Today was when I got my latest.
Global longitudinal strain of -23% is good. (Higher absolute value is better. Normal range is -15.9 to -22.1% per this.

EF of 63% (edit: officially downgraded on the final read to 55%, still fine), EDV of 166 mL, and a 105 mL SV at rest are good, as well, indicating I've been getting my cardio hours in over the years.
The real question is of whether my aorta remains normal--and to me it looked fine.

sv 4.PNG

sv 3.PNG

sv 2.PNG

sv 1.PNG

Last edited:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
status update, 7/17 edition
status update, 8/18 edition:

saving up for 2025 Japan trip
done

Land Cruiser hail damage claim and commuter bike 29er conversion
done

mountain house extra heat pump zone
done. still owed $2k from MPEI, though.

work investigation
no news.

house hail damage claim
still awaiting the insurance estimate!

mountain house deck reinforcement project
done, I think? he might be doing some last minute touchup? redo? trim work? this week. but says it's good. I still don't know what I owe him over the $15k that I fronted. he assures me that whatever he's planning is fine with the hot tub filled with water atop it, so who knows.

hot tub swap for swim spa project
hot tub up to mountains on Aug 12: done. Aug 19 delivery + crane over shed date for the swim spa delivery, which is tomorrow!

project Electrify the Cars
pending ID.Buzz availability. still no word.

research projects for work
contract in administrative limbo, thankfully not requiring anything from me. I did bust out a period of productivity that'll get me on another publication (for a different project), at least.

music stuff
first rehearsal for CWE is in two days. I've been practicing. I think I will survive but rehearsal day 1 may not be pretty.

reading for fun and profit
still reading a ton. finished books 1 and 2 in Iain Banks' Culture series as well as the first 3 of 4 in Alastair Banks' Inhibitor Phase sequence. reading Project Hail Mary now. then back to Safehold/David Weber for a bit, methinks.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
going to have some people over. and can always use Japanese sausage + ground beef.

beef.PNG

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
on the topic of wheels and tires, I should get a spare for the ID.Buzz when we finally get it at some unspecified date.

I also should get some 18" steelies for said ID.Buzz for the snow tires. I think they look amazing in a retro sense

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
I think Aug 23rd shipping will be fine upon considering the options, yeah

Screenshot 2024-08-18 at 8.05.18 PM.png

(Dr. Beat isn't a torture device for me but is rather a metronome.)

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Does the car have somewhere to put it, out of the way?

Not having a spare tire on a lot of newer cars seems so odd to me. Especially here in north america where you can easily be out in the sticks with little cell service or be 8 hours out from a tow or something.
it really doesn't. just sits there taking up a portion of the cargo area, and the compartment below the flat floor is very shallow, only big enough for the level 1 EVSE. as long as I have room for it I shall keep it in there.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
so as planned I shall lease a 1st edition AWD variant. Cabana Blue two tone, and the Dune interior that we'd want anyway is the only choice for that trim. negligible extra cost over an equivalent Pro S Plus AWD given the crossbars, Heritage floormats (whatever those are), and "Special owner's gifts" that I hope includes a tiny ID.Buzz model because that'd be awesome :)

234 mi range for RWD, 231 mi for AWD. and that's sufficient for my use case if not exceptional by any means.

ID._Buzz_Trims_and_Colors.jpg

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
the pricing and range are new info. the trims were published a few months ago. still no word on on ground availability let alone specifics on lease deals that will determine my timing. I'd like to do this before ski season but not if lease deals are horrid (no lease cash, etc.)

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
One of y’all should buy this and convert it to a giant camper

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
the pricing and range are new info. the trims were published a few months ago. still no word on on ground availability let alone specifics on lease deals that will determine my timing. I'd like to do this before ski season but not if lease deals are horrid (no lease cash, etc.)
Re @vw ID.Buzz availability, here's the word from my local dealer contact:

my dude Tanner said:
Hi Toshi-

I’m glad the finally announced pricing for the ID. Buzz so that tells me that we are getting closer! We have not been sent any programs yet so I’m not sure what to expect lease cash wise. When the ID.4 first landed, we did not have any lease or finance cash until 6 months later. I know the ID. Buzz will qualify for all available federal incentives and state incentives.

When the time comes, we can appraise your minivan and see how that value affects the lease on the ID. Buzz. I have the ID. Buzz showing in my pipeline but no ETA as of right now. I can see the trims as well as colors but the allocations can change. I have been told that we will get them before the end of this year!
hmph

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Re @vw ID.Buzz availability, here's the word from my local dealer contact:

hmph
latest word from another dude-bro at the same dealer:

"Hi Toshi, Tony with McDonald VW. I recently got out of a meeting and recieved[sic] info that the Buzz shoudl[sic] be available in December. I just would like to confirm that you are still interested in the Buzz!"

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Mountain house hot tub: now with 100% more power. I changed its heater schedule to reflect the different peak/off-peak times of the local utility, MPEI.

IMG_4793.jpeg

edit: made it to 72F 2 hours later. so even with it taking a break to avoid the 5-10 pm peak electricity rates it'll be up to temp by tomorrow morning for the weekend rental group, and certainly cooking away nicely by the time my family is up for the long Labor Day weekend.

Last edited:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
my eldest kid was disappointed that she didn't make the jump to the (what would have been high for her 11 year old self) mid level orchestra with the local youth symphony.

but she apparently impressed the judges during the blind seating auditions earlier this week, because in this new 2nd tier string ensemble she's in (that sits above the entry group she was in last year but below the top two orchestras) she shall be playing as concertmaster

:fancy:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Be sure to tell us @Toshi if you start to feel depressed, self-harm or commit seppuku while on your re-slimming drug regimen.
did some new news article come out?

/me goes to check google news

ah, referring to this paper:

yeah, it's showing an association. got to be teased out, and prospective data are much better. there may well be selection bias going on underlying who gets put on what.

(and I'm on a slightly different one, tirzepatide, anyway. it acts on GLP1 as does semaglutide, but also on another receptor, GIP.)