Quantcast

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
1600 posts!

anyway, the canfield brothers report that everything (frame, wheels, crankset/guide) should ship tomorrow. :D :drool:

in other news, my sportworks is sagging dangerously low thanks to being abused on rough roads with 4 35+ lb bikes (two of which probably were 45+ lbs)... so i guess i have to find a local welder? not sure what else to do.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
hmm. so apparently it is not possible to add attachments to existing posts. interesting. maybe it's my popup blocker in safari...

anyway, here is a pic from craig@avalanche of the fitment of the shock on a canfield f1 frame:

[i'm over quota for my attachments?! this is annoying]

from my webserver this time:

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
So I just used the last of my Finishline lube. Anyone got any preferred suggestions on what I should get next or should i get more of the same. always seemed a little light weight...

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Barbaton said:
So I just used the last of my Finishline lube. Anyone got any preferred suggestions on what I should get next or should i get more of the same. always seemed a little light weight...
i've always been a fan of triflow, just because it smells so bananalicious :blah:

the sportworks was officially declared dead today, and accordingly it was returned to the morgue at rei. maybe i'll try to buy it back for a pittance during the garage sale...

:dead:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
a few updates on the state of my bikes:

z1 finally showed up at marzocchi yesterday, after 16 days in transit. usps says priority mail takes 2 days. :dead: . gonna get it rebuilt, $65 including new seals, and have xtra heavy springs waiting for it at home to prevent further bottomage

monster t also has xtra heavy springs. altho i don't think it even needs it, since was only using 150 or so mm of the 175 total with it on the evil. given that fs should distribute forces more evenly (no?) the current spring weights of medium in one leg, heavy in the other, should work ok methinks

i asked the canfield bros to ship the frame + rear wheel and the front wheel separately rather than waiting for them to meet somewhere between utah and colorado. so maybe by next weekend? hmm. in any case i'm not riding at all this weekend since i'm heading up to seattle to witness my cousin's high school graduation. :thumb: for that and free food courtesy of the parents.

addition: i've also managed to return every single bit of my hitch rack for a full refund. :eek: so basically i got to use the rack for a year, for free. i feel kind of bad, but i certainly spend enough money at rei otherwise to make up for it, i suppose

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Toshi said:
addition: i've also managed to return every single bit of my hitch rack for a full refund. :eek: so basically i got to use the rack for a year, for free. i feel kind of bad, but i certainly spend enough money at rei otherwise to make up for it, i suppose
REI is there to be taken advantage of. My younger brother used to work at returns when he first started working there. If there was even a possibility you bought it at REI, you got a refund or store credit. People returning beat to sh!t stuff and 90% of the time getting store credit/refund.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
stevew said:
REI is there to be taken advantage of. My younger brother used to work at returns when he first started working there. If there was even a possibility you bought it at REI, you got a refund or store credit. People returning beat to sh!t stuff and 90% of the time getting store credit/refund.
hmm. well, at least there was no question of whether i bought the rack at rei, since i have my member number memorized, the files came right up on their system, and i still have the order confirmation emails. :D thanks for the reassurance of sorts, heh

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Since this is supposed to be a pics thread and i never have my camera maybe i'll just describe the photographs i wish i'd taken.

imagine if you will a young father, staring exhaustedly into space in front of the registrar's office, lightly holding a stroller containing a young girl. imagine also, that he is wearing cargo shorts and a purple hawaiian print shirt, visible under his now open yet still resplendant crimson robe with black bands. he's still wearing his little square fuzzy hat.

it was a great picture. maybe next time i'll have a camera. :thumb:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Barbaton said:
Since this is supposed to be a pics thread and i never have my camera maybe i'll just describe the photographs i wish i'd taken.
hmm. you get effort points, but... :D

btw the canfield bros have charged my credit card, so i think/hope/assume that the frame is on its way :drool: . oh yeah, and i have a gmail account. got an invite a few days ago from a friend. which one of you guys wants to claim the first invite that i am assigned? :think:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
TWISTED said:
What's a gmail account?
You still gonna be gone, not able to ride this weekend?
I'm gonna try to head out to pc with Ryan.
http://gmail.google.com/ . it's a free, 1 gb email account, still in beta so you can't just sign up. you have to be invited.

yeah, i am going to be gone this weekend, have fun at pc :thumb:

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
It sounds like your Canfield is own it's way. If it shows up soon maybe you can build it up in time to race ski bowl at Mt. Hood sat.
I might go, hadn't thought about it for sure but probably should go.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
TWISTED said:
It sounds like your Canfield is own it's way. If it shows up soon maybe you can build it up in time to race ski bowl at Mt. Hood sat.
I might go, hadn't thought about it for sure but probably should go.
good point. if it shows up during the week, i could definitely have it ready to go by saturday...

Chuckwagon

Chimp
Feb 14, 2004
Albany, OR
stevew said:
That's unethical. People who do that are responsible for a portion of the price the honest folks pay for stuff.

Maybe they do it because they can't afford to buy new stuff. Maybe, If they didn't do it, the prices would come down and they could afford to buy new stuff.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Chuckwagon said:
That's unethical. People who do that are responsible for a portion of the price the honest folks pay for stuff.

Maybe they do it because they can't afford to buy new stuff. Maybe, If they didn't do it, the prices would come down and they could afford to buy new stuff.
i agree, but that price is already paid up front, as rei isn't cheap. at least i'd rather that rei have its uniform, lenient policy instead of having some stores take only pristine returns, others taking anything...

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
random pics from the weekend:

and a cool pic from when my great (x2?) grandparents were missionaries in china:

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Toshi said:
random pics from the weekend:

I think the one on the left is USS Lake Erie. I visited her sistership Hue City in 2000, during the tall ships thing. Cool boat. Guy on board told us the whole group's networked wirelessly, so they can use the weapons on the other boats if the crew is disabled. My roommate at the time was thinking of joining up since they were gonna pay for Med Sch but talking to the dudes who's jobs were to paint the boat over and over again and polish the ring on the gun made him think he didn't really want to...

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Barbaton said:
I think the one on the left is USS Lake Erie. I visited her sistership Hue City in 2000, during the tall ships thing. Cool boat. Guy on board told us the whole group's networked wirelessly, so they can use the weapons on the other boats if the crew is disabled. My roommate at the time was thinking of joining up since they were gonna pay for Med Sch but talking to the dudes who's jobs were to paint the boat over and over again and polish the ring on the gun made him think he didn't really want to...
ooh, i'd love to hack into their network. just give me a directional antenna, a laptop, and a zodiac :oink: hehe

(note to the echelon overlords: I'M JOKING, REALLY)

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
check it (my handiwork): http://www.livefromthestanley.com/

served up by an apple emac, os x, quicktime broadcaster, a canon dv cam (optura xi), with the stream reflected by playstream.com. this is why apple rocks -- quicktime broadcaster and darwin streaming server are FREE. i used DSS to test the stream reflecting bit. playstream uses quicktime streaming server which requires os x server, on the other hand.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
wow. a mountain. i miss mountains.

still, cool tech tho. like appl :sneaky:

Toshi said:
check it (my handiwork): http://www.livefromthestanley.com/

served up by an apple emac, os x, quicktime broadcaster, a canon dv cam (optura xi), with the stream reflected by playstream.com. this is why apple rocks -- quicktime broadcaster and darwin streaming server are FREE. i used DSS to test the stream reflecting bit. playstream uses quicktime streaming server which requires os x server, on the other hand.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
hmm. looks like i'm going to be bikeless this weekend. the wheelset and cranks for the canfield are mia at the moment, and i just dropped the evil off at the bike shop to get the rotor pulled and the hayes caliper fixed, plus unreal cycles forgot to send me brake levers when i ordered that avid... :(

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Toshi said:
hmm. looks like i'm going to be bikeless this weekend. the wheelset and cranks for the canfield are mia at the moment, and i just dropped the evil off at the bike shop to get the rotor pulled and the hayes caliper fixed, plus unreal cycles forgot to send me brake levers when i ordered that avid... :(
the wheels and cranks/guide showed up today! and i went and bought a cheapo set of $20 alivio v brake levers and ghetto rigged a hayes adapter to work with the avids, so i'm in business :cool: . finally.

initial impressions, having not ridden it yet since the cable housing isn't ziptied down and the seatpost is uncut and about 200mm too long :D : it's visibly very long in wheelbase. standover clearance is adequate. the monster looks fitting. the chain is maybe a link short even tho i didn't take any links out, due to the long chainstays and the pulley system. the center of gravity looks very low. throughaxles in the rear are awesome x 3. race face's clamping mechanism seems like it is going to fail very quickly, and i am beginning to think it was a mistake spending $75 on it...

overall: mmmmmmm this is going to be fun! :thumb: :love:

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
Toshi said:
the wheels and cranks/guide showed up today! and i went and bought a cheapo set of $20 alivio v brake levers and ghetto rigged a hayes adapter to work with the avids, so i'm in business :cool: . finally.

initial impressions, having not ridden it yet since the cable housing isn't ziptied down and the seatpost is uncut and about 200mm too long :D : it's visibly very long in wheelbase. standover clearance is adequate. the monster looks fitting. the chain is maybe a link short even tho i didn't take any links out, due to the long chainstays and the pulley system. the center of gravity looks very low. throughaxles in the rear are awesome x 3. race face's clamping mechanism seems like it is going to fail very quickly, and i am beginning to think it was a mistake spending $75 on it...

overall: mmmmmmm this is going to be fun! :thumb: :love:
c'mon, where are the pics? and what was the race face part, the seatpost? If, yes. I agree with your assessment. Your seat will shift. (I have one on my beater that I got with my original superliget)

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
WTGPhoben said:
c'mon, where are the pics? and what was the race face part, the seatpost? If, yes. I agree with your assessment. Your seat will shift. (I have one on my beater that I got with my original superliget)
i'll have pics on tuesday. before then i'm going to swap out the rear brake (avid mech 6" for my hayes 8" being fixed on monday), the cassette (maybe go to 7 speed? :D hehe . 9-spd road cassette wasn't happening tho), the wheel (borrowed wheel with kenda 2.6 for my new/old wheel with minion 2.5), and the seatpost (raceface and giantseat to the evil, kalloy uno w/"normal" seat to the big bike). so have patience, the pics will come in a few days :D

unfortunately cambria bike says i'm out of luck as far as the race face goes b/c i cut it and it has scratches on it. not cool, since they suggested that very post out of the multitude of options available, after i told them this would be on a dh bike with a slanted seat tube... :dead:

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Those Race Face seat posts, xyz's or something quickly start to spin in the clamp. They are great at first because the angle is infinitely adjustable but after a couple hard slams they wont hold their position. I've got two of them (didn't pay for them). I modified them by finding the angle I wanted then drilled and tapped a hole that uses a small allen bolt to lock them into position. Race Face fixed the problem, and then some with the Diabolus post, it's the beefiest on the market (I've got one on my dh).

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
TWISTED said:
Those Race Face seat posts, xyz's or something quickly start to spin in the clamp. They are great at first because the angle is infinitely adjustable but after a couple hard slams they wont hold their position. I've got two of them (didn't pay for them). I modified them by finding the angle I wanted then drilled and tapped a hole that uses a small allen bolt to lock them into position. Race Face fixed the problem, and then some with the Diabolus post, it's the beefiest on the market (I've got one on my dh).
why oh why did cambria recommend the xy0 to me instead of the diabolus? oh well. at least it's good to know that there is a fix, at least for those with skillz with drillz

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Wanna do some riding? I just got back from my mom's house, too late to hook up with everyone. You can ride my Zen. I'll ride my 9point5. Maybe the zoo trail?

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
TWISTED said:
Wanna do some riding? I just got back from my mom's house, too late to hook up with everyone. You can ride my Zen. I'll ride my 9point5. Maybe the zoo trail?
sure, zoo trail sounds good. i can just ride my canfield :cool: . if you could loan me a set of flat pedals for the day that would be great...

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
sorry for being so lazy :D

hehe

anyway, new riding pics (of tim/TWISTED) for once:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
i'm at work, bucko. "tuesday" == tuesday night, possibly early wednesday morning :D . actually it might be tomorrow night, since i don't think that my mass shipment of tubes (nashbar had some for $2.95) hasn't arrived yet.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001

prototype canfield f1 frame bought from chris canfield
manitou swinger 6 way
2001 monster t
mrp bones/xt shifter/ultegra
hayes 8" with grc blades
atomic dhrs laced to atomic 20mm and hadley 12mm x 160mm hubs
minion 2.5" slow reezay f and r
horrible, horrible race face xy0 post
31.8mm bar/stem combo by planet x

any questions? :D

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
dang! sheez purdee! i rilee like the color :dancing:

You might not have any trouble at all with that seat post if you keep it real tight and never slam your but down real hard.

Oh, I got a new bike today :thumb: (everybody officially hates me now). :mumble:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
TWISTED said:
dang! sheez purdee! i rilee like the color :dancing:

You might not have any trouble at all with that seat post if you keep it real tight and never slam your but down real hard.

Oh, I got a new bike today :thumb: (everybody officially hates me now). :mumble:
:D

yeah, i'm hoping that running the normal sized seat (the ginormous tioga was demoted to use on the evil) will keep the seatpost at bay...

what did you get? a san andreas? :eek: heh