WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
Toshi said:
some "real" low light shots for you, keith

image 1 and 2: iso 3200 (!), 1/50, f/2.8
image 3: iso 1600, 1/60, f/2.0

definitely see some camera shake in here, my bad. blame 1/60 @ 50mm x 1.6x as before.

my thoughts: the iso 3200 shots look as good as my D30's iso 800 shots. considering that the 20D has 2.5 times the number of pixels as the D30 i am very pleased, as that makes the difference is far greater than "just" 2 stops.
Yeah, those look real good.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
an interesting bit of reading (from Wedding, "Behavior & Medicine")

"Sublimation may be understood as a relatively mature defense in which various instincts are displaced or converted into socially acceptable outlets. Normal sexual curiosity, for example, can become voyeurism under adverse circumstances. Under more favorable circumstances, the same impulse may be sublimated into an interest in photography. Similarly, a sadistic impulse to inflict pain can be sublimated into the socially acceptable and necessary practice of surgery. The surgeon can cut and hurt the patient in the service of a higher goal. Note that in both of these examples of sublimation, the infantile and sexual origins of these behaviors are nearly completely disguised."

i sense that the author is neither a photographer nor a surgeon. :think:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
let's see, i will be out of this place and earning a meager wage as a resident in 2008 or 2009 (if no research/research), this GTI is released in "Late fall 2005 in U.S." according to autoweek, yup, that's about right to pick it up used... :thumb:

anyway, to the duplicated post from the lounge about the upcoming vw gti that explains what i'm talking about:

:heart:

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=100993
http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/article_984.shtml

0-60 in 6.9 with the "direct-shift" transmission, under 3000 lbs., and actually practical being a hatchback...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Barbaton said:
Woohoo. Now I'm not the only one on this thread to be a champion.

In the words of the immortal pedro I am the daddy of the pingu. :dancing:
nice! i tried futilely to master the pingu slap, but always would screw up around the 8th penguin :(

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
recent phonepix:

captions: a double rainbow, one of my profs dressed up as a uterus (his arms would be the broad ligaments), the signboard in front of my friend kristel's place, moving a table that barely fit into the pathfinder...

in other news i am now 1-0 in the intramural racquetball tournament. i may be entered into the wrong category, as i walked over the other guy, 15-3, 15-4... :think:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
"Simpson, who has since cited swollen vocal cords due to acid reflux disease as the reason she used a guide vocal"

hehe, riiiiiiight

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i went to the nwd5 premiere in renton tonight. thoughts: music was loud. cymbals are particularly painful to listen to. riding in vid was good, a slight step up from that of other videos. camera work was ok, varying between scenes.

i also brought my camera and snapped these two pics (the second is oly from here on ridemonkey):

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i'm tired about writing about the external and internal anatomy of the heart and its vasculature :( so here is another timewaster, my current list of books to read as of halloween 2004

http://s91590527.onlinehome.us/books to read halloween.pdf

i'm currently reading the john wheeler biography, "geons" etc. and it is interesting. something good to read during rests at rehearsals at least.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
meh. looks like it will be four more years of "staying the course." :mad:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Barbaton said:
hmmm. funny what happens when you're looking or bike racks on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1523&item=5531720315&rd=1

:think:
ahha, did you order one? :eek: :D

"Life Technology Research International®"
"energetically modified"
"personal energy tool"
"When it is in contact with the body, The*Thule takyonator™ forms a resonance loop tuned to the Earth's beneficial pulsation"

the funny thing is that they are right about the effects of stress on disease progression. too bad they surround it with a bunch of pseudoscience of the worst variety...

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Toshi said:
ahha, did you order one? :eek: :D

"Life Technology Research International®"
"energetically modified"
"personal energy tool"
"When it is in contact with the body, The*Thule takyonator™ forms a resonance loop tuned to the Earth's beneficial pulsation"

the funny thing is that they are right about the effects of stress on disease progression. too bad they surround it with a bunch of pseudoscience of the worst variety...
No. Didn't. Did just miss a chance to get the short roof adaptor for the car, though. In other news, someone beat my pingu score, so I racked it up another 90 pts. :evil:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
props to giro: i just called them up to order a replacement rocloc piece for my battered Giro Gila '02 ("what's the model?" "gila '02" "giro what? what's the model?" "GILA!" "oh, gila."), and they are sending out a replacement rocloc for free

:thumb:

also, i ordered these snazzy fenders for the klein from rei:

they work with frames without eyelets. seattle is wet, ya know...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i wrote about 7800 words (30 pages) worth of anatomy text today. ugh. brain is now dead. i hope to get about 3000 more in tomorrow...

ooh, you have an avatar, thad. props.