Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Urban ride tonight. Maybe we can explore the neighborhood past the athletic complex...? Meeting at 10ish in front of 20 Dewolfe, or at my room (#31) if I forget to show up. ;)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by Barbaton
hey. some good news. the insc co apparently does replacement cost, not depreciated cost. That bike retails now for 1400...

:cool:
Sweet! Buy Alison Dunlap's bike! ;)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by Quadari
How hard is it to select text and then hit "delete"? :rolleyes: My gawd, the laziness. :eek:

Anyways, neither Ari nor I suffered flats today. Go us. :D I want my camera back, tho!

Quadari

Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
Washington, DC

I'm curious what you meant by this...

:)
So what happened was that Toshi got a pinch flat after we had already spent the spare tube we had with us (thanks to me :D). I had a patch kit but unfortunately only had two patches left which didn't cover all the wholes. So he put the flat tube back into the tire and then stuffed the tire as best as possible with mulch from a nearby tree. Then we all rode home, me with my gimpy tire and Toshi with his totally flat, mulch-filled tire.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
that's what I figured :) just making sure i'm not completely loony...

So what happened was that Toshi got a pinch flat after we had already spent the spare tube we had with us (thanks to me :D). I had a patch kit but unfortunately only had two patches left which didn't cover all the wholes. So he put the flat tube back into the tire and then stuffed the tire as best as possible with mulch from a nearby tree. Then we all rode home, me with my gimpy tire and Toshi with his totally flat, mulch-filled tire.

Quadari

Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
Washington, DC
What do you guys know about cycling clothing? Why is it that some jerseys (for example) are like $80 while others are like $30. (Same for shorts). Is there really that much of a difference?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
What do you guys know about cycling clothing? Why is it that some jerseys (for example) are like $80 while others are like $30. (Same for shorts). Is there really that much of a difference?
I don't know about jerseys, but for lycra shorts the quality really does make a difference. I once bought really cheap shorts from Performance, and they were horrible. They only had 4 panels (or some ridiculously low number like that) so they didn't fit well, the seams weren't flat and rubbed little lines into my legs, and the lycra itself was grainy in texture. Ug. Anyways, I'm back now from dc, just in case anyone was wondering. :D How was MIIB, Thad?

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
It was good. Funny, and more so when they finally deneuralized Tommy.

Insc check arrived yesterday. With what I got after the deductible I'm probably gonna have to save for a little while. :(

-t

Originally posted by Toshi

I don't know about jerseys, but for lycra shorts the quality really does make a difference. I once bought really cheap shorts from Performance, and they were horrible. They only had 4 panels (or some ridiculously low number like that) so they didn't fit well, the seams weren't flat and rubbed little lines into my legs, and the lycra itself was grainy in texture. Ug. Anyways, I'm back now from dc, just in case anyone was wondering. :D How was MIIB, Thad?

Quadari

Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
Washington, DC
hey guys,

just got back from Denver this afternoon. It was really nice out there. (Toshi-I saw you zipping onto Mass. Ave. on the evil, but you went by to fast to say hi)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
hey guys,

just got back from Denver this afternoon. It was really nice out there. (Toshi-I saw you zipping onto Mass. Ave. on the evil, but you went by to fast to say hi)
Ah, so everyone was away. RM and Dewolfe have seemed really dead the last two days. That's funny that you spotted me because a little further down the road (past the law school) BostonBullit flagged me down. I'd never seen a pic of his face so had no idea who he was until he explained. :eek: :D Anyways, the Evil is resting at Ace until Wed night (to get those newfangled lever blades installed at long last), but if anyone wants to go on a road ride I'm game.

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs

Insc check arrived yesterday. With what I got after the deductible I'm probably gonna have to save for a little while. :(
I knew they'd finally produce this. One of the best Ideas (at least for us big guys) that ever came to the f-ing sport.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by WTGPhoben
I knew they'd finally produce this. One of the best Ideas (at least for us big guys) that ever came to the f-ing sport.
The image didn't work. :rolleyes: Everytime I redo my fas site it seems to get even simpler. I'm bored, I have time to kill: what should I do to it (now that I have the unified look ;) between it and the local site)?

700c wheel bike pic:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I think next time you shouldn't have any images. Just lines of text. Not even links, just write out the url in text so that people have to copy and paste it in. :D
How about I make it a Word document instead, and make people download it to see what's new? :rolleyes:

I have PS 7, btw, Ari. :D Grab these two files, and use this serial number. (Note that the installer won't let you do a easy install since a few of the files are corrupted. If you custom install piece by piece you can get most everything installed save for Examples and some other sections which I'm sure you'll figure out. Also, don't install Adobe Online, or at least follow the instructions in the first link. The installer didn't seem to make a /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Web folder, maybe because I didn't install Adobe Online, btw)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
you engineering guys seen this?

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mbicycle.html

-t
Something similar was posted in another thread, explaining trail. I'd love to try one of the positive trail or rear wheel steer bikes. For a cash prize I think I could muster up enough strength to lock both brakes and hop all the way down the hall ;).

Aggh, can't get back to sleep. First I couldn't sleep due to Ian's love for loud violin concertos late at night and my obsessive inability to not be able to listen to any classical without mentally transcribing it, and then now this. Oh well, at least it's not like I have work to do tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
we should build one.

-t

Something similar was posted in another thread, explaining trail. I'd love to try one of the positive trail or rear wheel steer bikes. For a cash prize I think I could muster up enough strength to lock both brakes and hop all the way down the hall ;).

Aggh, can't get back to sleep. First I couldn't sleep due to Ian's love for loud violin concertos late at night and my obsessive inability to not be able to listen to any classical without mentally transcribing it, and then now this. Oh well, at least it's not like I have work to do tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Quadari

Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
Washington, DC
Last friday, when I was in Colorado, we went hiking in the mountains about a 45 minute drive from Boulder. The road is uphill all the way there and downhill all the way back and there were a bunch of riders (on both mountain and road bikes) going up and down when we were driving. There was one guy, however, that was crazy. On our way back into town after the hike (downhill) we saw this guy on a road bike up ahead of us who seemed to be going pretty fast. We caught up behind him and were basically tailing him for a while. We were going 50 mph and this guy was keeping up ahead of us just cruising down this hill. It was pretty crazy.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Only 78 (or 128? hmm) to go until you're a Pro Rider, Thad. And innumerable hours of brown nosing until you get a custom title. :D

Ari, did you grab PS 7? Or did you already have it thanks to HSA? If so, please let me know ;) as although it's cool to run a beta, running the release version would make me much more comfortable.

Finally, everyone look here: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24446

The Paramount Cycle discount is official.

Quadari

Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
Washington, DC
Ari, did you grab PS 7? Or did you already have it thanks to HSA? If so, please let me know ;) as although it's cool to run a beta, running the release version would make me much more comfortable.
Got it but haven't installed it.

As far as i know we don't have 7 here at work, but if I do find something out I'll let you know.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
How about that HRO repertoire? :D Just about everything on there was on my ballot, and the big trumpet pieces abound: Pictures is huge, Mahler 5 is huger, the Ravel is a standard audition excerpt, and the Tchaik isn't half bad to play, either. :D :D :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Oct. 25 Dr. Y Conducting
Mendelsshon Midsummer's Night Dream
Mahler 5th Symphony

Dec. 6 Dr. Y Conducting, Ya-Fei Chung Solo Piano
Debussy Nocturnes
Ravel Piano Concerto in G
Dvorak 8th Symphony

Feb. 28 Kevin Leong and Ben Vogt conduct
Overture [tba} Ben's pick
Cto. Competition Winner
Tchaikovsky 5th Symphony

April 4 Gil Rose conducts
Kabalevsky Overture to Colas Breugnon
piece [tba]
Mussorgsky Pictures at an Exhibition

May 2 ARTS FIRST Jameson Marvin Conducts
Vaughn Williams Dona Nobis Pacem

Quadari

Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
Washington, DC
wow...that's some heavy duty war horses:
Dvorak 8
Tchaik 5
Mahler 5

Only sad thing is that we're not playing any american music. I voted for all the Copland, but apparently no one else did. :(

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
wow...that's some heavy duty war horses:
Dvorak 8
Tchaik 5
Mahler 5

Only sad thing is that we're not playing any american music. I voted for all the Copland, but apparently no one else did. :(
Oh no, I hope I don't get assigned 1st on Pictures. I am in the process of selling my piccolo trumpet (which I never play -- that one rehearsal for Petrushka was the closest I came to using it) and one of the pictures requires picc. Oh well, I'll pass off the part to Mike or Toby (or more likely, will get assigned 1st on Mahler and will suffer lame parts on the other pieces this year).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Just as long as you don't play it like Berlin ;)
Hey now, no making fun of me just because I really dislike their style. :eek: If I keep on skipping practice days (skipped 6 days last week :eek: due to travel) I'll have nothing to crow about myself, tho.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by WTGPhoben
:D

I just made the DBR guy an offer for his bike, so there may be some xc trailriding goodness in my near future. :D