Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the computer wasn't throwing any helpful codes so it was anyone's guess whether the problem was in spark or in fuel. turns out the plugs were pretty fouled and the fuel pump was failing, so i guess the answer was that both were faulty.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Toshi said:
the computer wasn't throwing any helpful codes so it was anyone's guess whether the problem was in spark or in fuel. turns out the plugs were pretty fouled and the fuel pump was failing, so i guess the answer was that both were faulty.
what kinda of fuel pressure are you getting?

what kind of number have they gotten by meassuring o2 in the exhaust? do you have a wideband o2 sensor?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
when i had the car dyno tuned they were aiming for stoichometric (sp?) in closed loop, 11.5:1 in closed loop iirc. but that was before these problems started.

the shop didn't have means to test the fuel pressure in real world situations, and the pump was only intermittently bad (until tuesday, when it wouldn't support the car running for more than, say, 30 sec before it shut off).

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Toshi said:
when i had the car dyno tuned they were aiming for stoichometric (sp?) in closed loop, 11.5:1 in closed loop iirc. but that was before these problems started.

the shop didn't have means to test the fuel pressure in real world situations, and the pump was only intermittently bad (until tuesday, when it wouldn't support the car running for more than, say, 30 sec before it shut off).
good luck with the car now that its running.

if it dies again, maybe the next thing to be suspicious of would be the crank position sensor or the camshaft position sensor (i dont remeber what the imprezas use).

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
I spent all day sunday playing matchmaker (for parts)

The participants:

The results:

My old Beater with the ovalized headtube became the "Jamis", which I sold for $350. The Shogun got the old stem from my road bike, which I am replacing with 15deg rise salsa (because my road bike is too small), a new seat, some bar tape, and my third set of Time pedals, which I found on craigslist for $20. More pics of the shogun to come eventually...

Also in the news, my superlight only has one leg! As I was tuning it up I found this HUGE crack in the chainstay (it goes 2/3 of the way through):

The swingarm has since been amputated:

and I have a new one in the mail from santa cruz for a cool $250 after barraging them with voicemails and emails all day monday until the man with the magic parts bin was kind enough to give me a call (Willie, you rule!).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
true. who would have thought that your vw + superlight would prove to be less of a pain than my subaru + canfield*?

* i had many chainline issues with it before i sold it, for the record

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Toshi said:
true. who would have thought that your vw + superlight would prove to be less of a pain than my subaru + canfield*?

* i had many chainline issues with it before i sold it, for the record
We all knew, we were just too polite to talk you out of either of them:) .

...but speaking of chainline issues, I had to respace and redish the rear wheel on the shogun (did I mention I got it for $120 on craigslist), as it was a SS conversion from a 6spd freewheel and had a less than ideal chainline. Had to cannibalize two old hubs for spacers. A good reminder of why I never throw bike parts away...

...speaking of which, did you recognize the chainring on the "Jamis"?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
wtg -

i never had good luck w/ the xy race face post; invariably the saddle tilt would get thrown out of whack.

two bolt heads are the best design, imo.

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
narlus said:
wtg -

i never had good luck w/ the xy race face post; invariably the saddle tilt would get thrown out of whack.

two bolt heads are the best design, imo.
I agree. My MTB and my road bike both have two-bolt posts (thompson, american classic). I got that post on the original build of my superlight, which I never even rode before I stripped and rebuilt it with parts from its predecessor (I'll post a before and after when I get home). I was happy to sell the XY.

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Toshi said:
a heads up on a thule/sportworks sale ending tomorrow:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2059384#post2059384

i just (back)ordered up a 1 1/4" T2 for my wrx, in anticipation of my journeys (with bikes) throughout the west this upcoming year. yes, i haven't had a bike rack the whole time i've had this wrx, since august. yes, this means i haven't been on a trail ride since at least then :eek:
what do you have left in your stable, just the Klein and the DBR?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Toshi said:
fair enough. :thumb:

the aforementioned junk i'm selling (3 items [monette C2, monette mouthpiece case, sony ericsson T637], wait a minute if only 2 show up):

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZtoshiclarkQQhtZ-1

http://toshiclark.com/forsale/C2.jpg
the above items actually sold for pretty decent prices :) : $33 for the ugly, scratched cell phone (which i got for free from amazon initially so this basically earns me back the activation fee), $42.07 for the mouthpiece case (surprisingly high), and $131.45 for the mouthpiece (which is just about right given past experience).

Toshi said:
random addition since i just uploaded it, a track my quintet recorded last week. you can hear a solo by me from 1:53 to 2:31. it's not often you get to hear a mainly classical/legit player do not one but two lip trills in a piece ;)

Black Diamond Brass - Don't get around much anymore.m4a (use iTunes)
listen to the solo and comment! :oink:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
oh, i managed to toast the front wheel bearings on my rolf vectors. this is cool for two reasons: first, that they're sealed and thus this represents a feat of sorts :D ; and second, because this gives me an excuse for being previously slow. i'm sure my commute average will jump significantly up from 13.4 mph after i get the bike back, heh

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
from my post in this thread: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151820 . here's a breakdown of what came on the car and what i've had done since getting it.

'02 WRX

Engine:

IHI VF34 ball-bearing turbo
Tial 38mm external wastegate
TurboXS front mounted intercooler
TurboXS UTEC (user tunable engine computer) piggyback

TurboXS DTEC-BC Pro electronic boost controller
Walbro 255 liter per hour fuel pump

Ultimate Racing 600cc fuel injectors

Transmission and exhaust:

STi RA rally-specification gearset in the gearbox (stronger and shorter - 2.7k rpms at 60 mph in top gear)
STi limited slip center differential, not adjustable however

ACT Street Disc clutch
Custom catless uppipe
Invidia bellmouth catless 3" downpipe (with the external wastegate plumbed to it)
BPM 3" midpipe with one catalytic converter, one resonator
Prodrive 2.5" axleback exhaust

Stats:

The target boost is 18-19 psi from 3500 to 5500, then tapering down to 15 and change at redline. 284 whp/262 lb-ft. on a dynojet in February (running straight 18 psi for this pull):

Dyno chart: http://toshiclark.com/images/miscellaneous/random/Toshi-Clark-dyno.jpg

The previous owner dragged the car (I haven't, as I've just stuck to autocross) and his best time was 12.6xx @ 111 mph.

Brakes and suspension:

Stillen drilled rotors up front, Powerslot slotted rotors out back, stock size for 16" wheel compatibility
Hawk brake pads iirc
Stainless steel brake lines throughout
D2 Racing coilovers, 7k/5k spring rates (about twice as stiff as stock)
Helix solid endlinks in the rear
Whiteline 24mm front swaybar
, Perrin 20-22-24mm adjustable rear swaybar
Replica front and rear strut tower braces

Wheels and tires:

STi 17x7.5" BBS rims with 225/45/17 Nokian WR all season tires for the street
Rota Slipstream 16x7" rims with 245/45/16 Kumho V700 Victoracer R compounds for autocross. I'm selling this wheelset due to lack of time for racing, however...

Cosmetic and other:

Valentine 1 hard wired
Game Boy Advance SP, used to control the DTEC boost controller
iPod and Game Boy dashboard mounts
from www.proclipusa.com
Seibon carbon fiber hood with requisite hood pins
35% tint all around, with a cutout for the radar detector
'05 Legacy GT shift knob

Kartboy short shifter kit
Battery relocated to the trunk for weight distribution

TurboXS KnockLite knock/shift light
Exhaust gas temperature and oil pressure gauges
Japan-market STi replica grille
, "i" Impreza badge
Hella Supertones horns, 118 dB!
Tein hydraulic hood dampers (so the hood stays open on its own)
Fog lights deleted to make way for the intercooler plumbing
"Subaru" on trunk shaved for cleanliness

Stereo:

Dynamat Extreme in the trunk, cabin, and doors
No head unit! instead the iPod is wired directly to the amps:
JL Audio 300/4 and esomethingorother amplifiers
MB Quart Reference 6.5" components
in the front doors
Stock, junk rear speakers just for fill

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
day for of the cTotD:

april 29

Glenn Gould and the Julliard String Quartet (not together!), #1 and #9 from Bach's The Art of Fugue (Die Kunst der Fuge).

oh, i also have new pics coming once i process 'em! got a late start on it yesterday and was stuck in hideous traffic for many an hour, but i and two friends wanted to get to the coast before nightfall yesterday, and that we did. driving on the beach is fun :devil:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the wind was pretty brisk today:

as you might have guessed, i was out on the water for the period marked in yellow. :) i earned my intermediate singlehanded dinghy rating today thanks to the wind -- you can't get higher ratings unless the wind is blowing sufficiently strong to make things difficult. this is cool because it doesn't expire unlike the novice ratings, i can now go out of my own accord in wind up to 15 knots, and can now venture outside of the local bay and into lake union itself, where the wind is often stronger.

score.

starting tomorrow, i learn how to sail catamarans, too... it's amazing the time you free up when you don't go to class.

oh, the really cool thing about getting my rating today was that the chief who administered the practical test (on the water) asked me afterwards if i want to teach! which was a nice ego boost, even if it may mean that they're short on instructors. in any case, i think i'll look into that in about 14 months or so after i re-emerge from the cave of 3rd year.