Quantcast

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
for auction since i bought an iPhone :) , all with $0.01 starting bids and no reserve:

iPod Video 30 GB Black
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110147914548
from the above page, question answered by yours truly

Toshi on eBay said:
Question & Answer Answered On

Q: hi i bidded on your item and just wanted to tell you that i really need an ipod and i wanted to ask you if you could plz sell me the ipod for 2.00 Jul-10-07

A: Please use proper English, and please stay in school. Both the syntax and the content of your post make you seem retarded. NO, I WILL NOT SELL YOU THE IPOD FOR 2 DOLLARS. Have a nice day.
:cheers:

yes, i am a jerk. heh.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
wrt the road trip photos, toshiclark.com did just a hair over 2 GB of traffic on 7/10/07. that's a lot of people :)

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
you got suckered in to an iPhone? :disgust1:
i don't need exchange access, but having email and web access on the road is very helpful. i don't have a laptop. the iphone does the job of the devices i had been using, only it does them better. what's not to like?

:lighten:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
so my ebay auctions ended today:

razr: $46 -- i bought it for negative $25, i think, thanks to amazon.com + rebates galore

nokia 770: $152.50 -- i bought it for $300 iirc, might have been $250 after rebate. in any case woot.com cleared out a bunch for $120 or so so this was a highly acceptable price from a seller's perspective :D

iPod Video 30 gb: $205. i bought this particular one for $240, thanks to edu 10% and trade-in of dead, old 1st gen ipod 10% discounts.

overall: SCORE. trading up to an iPhone by paying a $200 differential from the old devices is a whole lot easier to swallow, no? i know some of you hecklers will be hard to convince, but my inner apple apologist must rationalize at all costs ;)

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
now THIS is sweet. urban motorcycle trials. none of the bike-trials hopping business, just pure style:

wow.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
I won B Stock at my first autocross with the Kumho V710 R-comps. See NWR-scca.org/solo, Event #6 Results, Stock 2. It sure would be nice if I could cut and paste that URL, you hear me, Apple? Anyway, I took the victory on the last run by the slim margin of 0.067 seconds. Go me, heh.

In other news, I'm in the airport on the way to LA for Step 2 CS after having taken Step 2 CK on Friday, but Thad is probably the only person reading who knows what they are or cares

:D

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
I won B Stock at my first autocross with the Kumho V710 R-comps. See NWR-scca.org/solo, Event #6 Results, Stock 2. It sure would be nice if I could cut and paste that URL, you hear me, Apple? Anyway, I took the victory on the last run by the slim margin of 0.067 seconds. Go me, heh.

In other news, I'm in the airport on the way to LA for Step 2 CS after having taken Step 2 CK on Friday, but Thad is probably the only person reading who knows what they are or cares

:D
Congrats!

Frustrated by your iphone?

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
keith, no, not really, but I would like apple to keep on improving it. It is unmeasurably more useable than the 770 was, especially when limited to GPRS

Fool: an excellent find :D

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
i finally did it: i flooded my RX-8. grr. oh well, at least the tow and service will both be courtesy of mazda, and this will "save" me $100 by missing a trackday.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
interesting fact that buries the idilic notion i had about the 2004-2005 2.5L US spec sti, dropping it from its high horse.

the japanese spec, even with the 0.5L smaller engine is way faster. apparently according to one of my subaru all-knowing friends, the heads suck balls.
and the japanese does 12.8-12.7 quarter miles runs bone stock.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
the japanese cars do not run that fast stock. that's a load of BS until timeslips prove it. :D

but yes, the US heads are not ideal, and giving up 1000+ revs at the top end hurts it further. neither is the suspension geometry ideal. have i mentioned that recently? heh

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
the japanese cars do not run that fast stock. that's a load of BS until timeslips prove it. :D

but yes, the US heads are not ideal, and giving up 1000+ revs at the top end hurts it further. neither is the suspension geometry ideal. have i mentioned that recently? heh
i saw it over the weekend. could not believe it either until i talked to the owner and checked under the hood and confirmed thru mutual acquintances the car had indeed nothing else.
one did 12.70 with a 0.17 reaction time. (luis guillermo chavez´sti), had a downpipe and exhaust. nothing else (i´m pretty sure). 12.8 stock seems very plausible.

note there is a 11.50 wrx, but it a 1999. those are the fastest subarus of them all.

http://www.clubimprezaturbo.com/Docs/Actividades_CopaSubaru2007/Files/CS2007-3_CM_Resultados.XLS

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
anyone reading this on facebook? scrabulous is quite amusing: scrabble using the facebook platform. here's an amusing game that i'm playing with a fellow undergrad buddy now at u minn med school. note the upper right of the board, which are the last two words played:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
i didn't win at this week's autocross. grr. stupid me, for coning on all of my runs.

in other news, here is a gallery i whipped together of shots from the road trip reprocessed in the "old style":

http://tinyurl.com/2umj7m

an example of the supersaturated sky treatment as compared with the new look:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I think there's a good place for both of those looks. Frankly, if the scene has a lot of good color in it, I like to see that color processed and brought out, not toned down (e.g. your example, I like the first one better).

If there is poor color and good texture, though, the desaturation is very appealing. A prime example, I like the original of the deer with the blown highlights and desaturated color because the texture of the image is so appealing.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
i finally did it: i flooded my RX-8. grr. oh well, at least the tow and service will both be courtesy of mazda, and this will "save" me $100 by missing a trackday.
the resolution of this story was that the car was in the shop for 24 hours after a free tow by mazda roadside assistance, and it received a new starter, battery, and 4 sparkplugs. all free. i'm still having an idle thought or two of selling it after the warranty runs out, but that'll certainly not happen before i get my money's worth out of/120 runs in on my fancypants V710 race tires... for reference, i currently have 8 runs on them.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I just noticed the second deer picture. When I was referring to the preference I had for the new style, it was for the shot of the startled doe.

Conversely, I think there is absolutely no comparison for the shot of the buck. The older style with better color contrast is, IMO, a far superior image. The new style of processing just looks like you took it in the harsh noon light. Anyway, just my $0.02 - just like any art, photography appeals differently to everyone.

Want to share any of your PP techniques? I am still relatively new at doing any serious processing of images - most of what I do is relegated to some shadow/highlight tweaking, contrast and sharpening. If an image warrants it, I'll separate it out into layers and work with masks but that's about it.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
i agree with you about the buck, but that image received extra attention beyond the basics of the old style, in particular turning the reds way up and the yellows and greens way down. the grass bugged me a lot until i did that, and you can't judge the new/old style based on that image because the turning down of the grass' intensity is a new style trick applied out of context, as it were.

whew, long sentence. :D

all of this is accomplished on the .cr2/raw files directly using Adobe Lightroom. things i mess with a lot are:

white balance and tint
black point
contrast, both on the contrast slider and in the global tone curve: linear/medium/strong contrast
vibrance
saturation

the real work is usually done with the basic curves editor, again still within Lightroom: the prototypical "old image" would have highlights pulled back, lights pulled way back, darks bumped up, and shadows left more or less alone: in other words, things were clustered in the middle of the luminance range. i haven't done enough shots in the new style to have a real feel for it.

this is the image we're talking about:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
i'm taking off for a short trip to the coast, but before i leave here are two random, amusing images both seen on gizmodo today:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
so i'm doing a microsoft playtest this weekend. 10-5 on both days, yikes. and they're getting cheap on their reimbursement items: has to be four different items and the big ticket stuff (office pro 2007 etc.) isn't there. oh well, still better financially than spending money racing...

so what should i pick from this list, assuming eBay will be its immediate destination?

microsoft said:
MICROSOFT USABILITY GRATUITY LIST (as of 06/27/07):
All software products are available on CD only, unless otherwise noted.

PC GAMES

Rated E (6+) Special Requirements SRP
Combat Flight Simulator 3 $30.00
Flight Sim X: Deluxe edition $70.00
Zoo Tycoon: Complete Collection $20.00
Zoo Tycoon 2 $20.00
Zoo Tycoon 2: African Adventure expansion $25.00
Zoo Tycoon 2: Endangered Species expansion $25.00
Zoo Tycoon 2: Marine Mania expansion $25.00
Zoo Tycoon 2: Zoo Keeper Collection $40.00

Rated T (13+) Special Requirements SRP
Age of Empires II: Gold Edition $30.00
Age of Empires 3 $50.00
Age of Empires 3: War Chiefs expansion $50.00
Age of Mythology: Gold Edition $20.00
Rise of Legends $40.00
Rise of Nations: Gold Edition $30.00

Rated M (17+) Special Requirements SRP
Dungeon Siege 2 $30.00
Fable: The Lost Chapters $30.00
Halo $20.00

XBOX 360 GAMES

Viva Piñata! $50.00
Xbox Live Arcade Unplugged $50.00

Rated E (10+) Special Requirements SRP
Fuzion Frenzy 2 $50.00
Project Gotham Racing 3 $30.00

Kameo: Elements of Power $30.00

Crackdown $60.00
Gears of War $60.00
Perfect Dark Zero $30.00
Tenchu Z $60.00

XBOX GAMES

Forza Motorsport $20.00
Fuzion Frenzy $10.00
OutRun 2 $20.00
Project Gotham Racing $10.00
Project Gotham Racing 2 $10.00

Mech Assault $10.00
Mech Assault 2: Lone Wolf $20.00
Voodoo Vince $20.00

Conker: Live & Reloaded $20.00
Fable $20.00
Fable: The Lost Chapters $40.00
Halo $20.00
Halo 2 $30.00
Halo 2: Multiplayer Map Pack $20.00
Jade Empire $20.00
Kingdom Under Fire: Heroes $30.00

BUSINESS AND HOME PRODUCTIVITY SRP
Access 2007 $239.00
Digital Image Suite 2006 $100.00
Excel 2003: Upgrade edition $109.00
FrontPage 2003 $199.00
Money Home and Business 2007 $90.00
MS Student 2007 $70.00
Outlook 2003 $109.00
PowerPoint 2003: upgrade edition $109.00
Publisher 2003 $169.00
Visio Standard 2003: upgrade edition $100.00
Windows Live One Care $50.00
Word 2007 $239.00

MICROSOFT OPERATING SYSTEMS SRP
Vista Home Premium Edition $240.00
my initial thought is to just go by dollar value: Vista, Word, Excel, Publisher?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Assuming you have no interest in anything on that list, I'd do exactly that - get the 4 most expensive and sell 'em. They aren't obscure programs so they should go on eBay with no issue.

By dollar value, you'd go Vista, Word, Access, Frontpage

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Assuming you have no interest in anything on that list, I'd do exactly that - get the 4 most expensive and sell 'em. They aren't obscure programs so they should go on eBay with no issue.

By dollar value, you'd go Vista, Word, Access, Frontpage
should i use the same $0.01 starting bid, no reserve strategy? the last time i did a playtest (actually a usability study but same difference) i eBayed Office Pro 2003, and it went quickly using a sane Buy It Now price. hmm

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
No idea, I don't eBay that much. I hate reserves, personally, and just start the item at a certain minimum that guarantees I won't get completely screwed.

For you, these are free. So, yeah, I'd say $0.01 w/ no reserve would work out well.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
i realize this is a strange venue for a such a request but i figure that i have a well-educated contingent of readers that check in on this thread at least occasionally. with that said, i'd appreciate feedback on this, my personal statement for residency applications. (the basic level of information that should be included can be found at http://www.medstudent.ucla.edu/current/fourthyear/default.cfm?pgID=169 if you're not familiar with such statements. they should be in a conversational/narrative style but not as "cute" or cheesy as your college application essay was, perhaps.)

>>>>> begin draft

My focus has always been on the brain, and this focus has led me to choose radiology. As an undergraduate I considered pursuing graduate studies in Cognitive Neuroscience after being involved with a fMRI/TMS/EEG project, but ultimately decided that medical training would offer me the most freedom in working with human subjects. Once in medical school I considered neurosurgery as a career, but soon came to the conclusion that studying the brain and its function using structural and functional imaging was the more elegant solution. Although my 3-dimensional echocardiography research project through the University of Washington's Medical Scientist Research Training Program did not involve brain imaging directly, it allowed me to become familiar with the geometrical and statistical methods used in imaging research and provided the opportunity to be published as first author in a peer reviewed journal. My current involvement with the University of Washington's Neuropsychiatry Imaging Group on a project analyzing MRI data of the brains of children with autism over time has cemented my desire to go into academic medicine.

In order to learn more about clinical radiology have spoken extensively with my father, a practicing diagnostic radiologist, and have spent time in the reading room whenever possible during the 3rd year required clerkships. Furthermore, I am planning on taking four months of radiology clerkships this upcoming year, including a month dedicated to a voxel-based morphometry project with the Neuropsychiatry Imaging Group. I have also done extensive reading of the radiology literature, with a particular eye on the mathematics underlying the correction of MRI data for magnet inhomogeneity.

What I am looking for is a residency program strong in both training residents for clinical practice and in preparing them for an academic career. Following residency training I would like to pursue a fellowship in MRI imaging of the central nervous system, continue to be involved in development of visualization software, and possibly engage in development of novel MRI tracers to illuminate various tissues' functional capabilities. Thus, an established program involving collaboration within the school would be beneficial, especially between the Radiology, Bioengineering, and Applied Mathematics departments.

I grew up as my father went through his medical training, and spent the formative years of my life in New York City watching him study endless textbooks. More recently I earned my undergraduate degree in Computer Science at Harvard University, and proudly greeted my sister as Dr. Clark after her 2006 graduation from University of Michigan Medical School. Currently she is undertaking a residency in Internal Medicine at the University of Colorado.

My outside activities reveal an interest in applied physics as well as theoretical physics as demonstrated through imaging research. Acoustics is represented by my ongoing involvement with community orchestras, a brass quintet, and in the freelance trumpet playing that I do around Seattle, while kinetics in its various guises is represented by skiing, catamaran sailing with the Washington Yacht Club, and amateur automobile racing with the Sports Car Club of America.

>>>>>> enddraft

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i realize this is a strange venue for a such a request but i figure that i have a well-educated contingent of readers that check in on this thread at least occasionally. with that said, i'd appreciate feedback on this, my personal statement for residency applications. (the basic level of information that should be included can be found at http://www.medstudent.ucla.edu/current/fourthyear/default.cfm?pgID=169 if you're not familiar with such statements. they should be in a conversational/narrative style but not as "cute" or cheesy as your college application essay was, perhaps.)

>>>>> begin draft

My focus has always been on the brain, and this focus has led me to choose radiology. As an undergraduate I considered pursuing graduate studies in Cognitive Neuroscience after being involved with a fMRI/TMS/EEG project, but ultimately decided that medical training would offer me the most freedom in working with human subjects. Once in medical school I considered neurosurgery as a career, but soon came to the conclusion that studying the brain and its function using structural and functional imaging was the more elegant solution. Although my 3-dimensional echocardiography research project through the University of Washington's Medical Scientist Research Training Program did not involve brain imaging directly, it allowed me to become familiar with the geometrical and statistical methods used in imaging research and provided the opportunity to be published as first author in a peer reviewed journal. My current involvement with the University of Washington's Neuropsychiatry Imaging Group on a project analyzing MRI data of the brains of children with autism over time has cemented my desire to go into academic medicine.

In order to learn more about clinical radiology have spoken extensively with my father, a practicing diagnostic radiologist, and have spent time in the reading room whenever possible during the 3rd year required clerkships. Furthermore, I am planning on taking four months of radiology clerkships this upcoming year, including a month dedicated to a voxel-based morphometry project with the Neuropsychiatry Imaging Group. I have also done extensive reading of the radiology literature, with a particular eye on the mathematics underlying the correction of MRI data for magnet inhomogeneity.

What I am looking for is a residency program strong in both training residents for clinical practice and in preparing them for an academic career. Following residency training I would like to pursue a fellowship in MRI imaging of the central nervous system, continue to be involved in development of visualization software, and possibly engage in development of novel MRI tracers to illuminate various tissues' functional capabilities. Thus, an established program involving collaboration within the school would be beneficial, especially between the Radiology, Bioengineering, and Applied Mathematics departments.

I grew up as my father went through his medical training, and spent the formative years of my life in New York City watching him study endless textbooks. More recently I earned my undergraduate degree in Computer Science at Harvard University, and proudly greeted my sister as Dr. Clark after her 2006 graduation from University of Michigan Medical School. Currently she is undertaking a residency in Internal Medicine at the University of Colorado.

My outside activities reveal an interest in applied physics as well as theoretical physics as demonstrated through imaging research. Acoustics is represented by my ongoing involvement with community orchestras, a brass quintet, and in the freelance trumpet playing that I do around Seattle, while kinetics in its various guises is represented by skiing, catamaran sailing with the Washington Yacht Club, and amateur automobile racing with the Sports Car Club of America.

>>>>>> enddraft
the other day i stuck a q-tip so deep in my ear, i started seeing in funny colors.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
the other day i stuck a q-tip so deep in my ear, i started seeing in funny colors.
:clue:

on a different subject, this sounds interesting, especially the promised commuter version:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/electrobike/zero-x-electric-motorcycle-is-fast-eco+friendly-usb-compatible-285995.php

and here's a current draft of my statement, for those wondering how such things progress:

>>>>> begin personal statement draft 3/revised opening

My focus has always been on the inner workings of the brain, and this focus has led me to choose radiology. As an undergraduate I considered pursuing graduate studies in Cognitive Neuroscience after being involved with a fMRI/TMS/EEG project, but ultimately decided that medical training would offer me the most freedom in working with human subjects. Once in medical school I considered neurosurgery, but became intrigued by the possibility of studying the brain in a non-invasive manner using complementary structural and functional imaging techniques. My current involvement with the University of Washington's Neuropsychiatry Imaging Group on a project analyzing MRI data of the brains of children with autism over time has cemented my desire to go into academic medicine so as to be able to combine basic science and clinical medicine in a synergistic way to diagnose and treat mental disorders.

In order to learn more about clinical radiology I have spoken extensively with my father, a practicing diagnostic radiologist, and have spent time in the reading room whenever possible during the 3rd year required clerkships. Furthermore, I am planning on taking four months of radiology clerkships this upcoming year, including a month dedicated to a voxel-based morphometry project with the Neuropsychiatry Imaging Group. I have also done extensive reading of the radiology literature, with a particular eye on the mathematics underlying the correction of MRI data for magnet inhomogeneity. Although my 3-dimensional echocardiography research project through the University of Washington's Medical Scientist Research Training Program did not involve radiology or brain imaging directly, it allowed me to become familiar with the geometrical and statistical methods used in imaging research and provided the opportunity to be published as first author in a peer reviewed journal (Clark TJ et al, Physiological Measurement 2006).

My outside activities reveal an interest in applied physics as well as theoretical physics as demonstrated through imaging research. My interests in imaging and optics are represented by my efforts as a dedicated amateur photographer, acoustics is represented by my ongoing involvement as a trumpet player and composer with community orchestras and a brass quintet, and kinetics in its various guises is represented by skiing, sailing, and amateur automobile racing with the Sports Car Club of America. I grew up as my father went through his medical training, and spent the formative years of my life in New York City watching him study endless textbooks. More recently I earned my undergraduate degree in Computer Science at Harvard University, and proudly greeted my sister as Dr. Clark after her 2006 graduation from University of Michigan Medical School. Currently she is undertaking a residency in Internal Medicine at the University of Colorado. As a result, I have ties to many regions of the country and am actively considering residency programs located both within and outside of the Pacific Northwest.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
my handwriting's always been that way, actually. uh, it reflects that i'm iconoclastic and artistic. yes, that's it. :D

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
and here's a current draft of my statement, for those wondering how such things progress:

>>>>> begin personal statement draft 3/revised opening
more progression:

>>>>> begin personal statement draft 6

My focus has always been on the inner workings of the brain, and this focus has led me to choose radiology. After being involved as an undergraduate with an fMRI/TMS/EEG project investigating regions of co-activation and -deactivation in judgment vs. perception tasks I considered pursuing graduate studies in Cognitive Neuroscience. Ultimately, I decided that medical training would offer me the most freedom in working with people. Once in medical school I considered neurosurgery, but became intrigued by the possibility of studying the brain in a non-invasive manner using complementary structural and functional imaging techniques. Thus, my academic interest in the brain led me to radiology.

My my desire to go into academic medicine has been cemented by my current involvement on a project with the University of Washington's Neuropsychiatry Imaging Group. We are analyzing MRI data of the brains of children with autism over time, so as to be able to combine basic science and clinical medicine in a synergistic way to diagnose and treat neuropsychiatric disorders.

To learn more about clinical radiology I have pursued several options. I have spoken extensively with my father, a practicing diagnostic radiologist. I have also spent time in the reading room whenever possible during the 3rd year required clerkships. Furthermore, I am planning on taking four months of radiology clerkships during the 2007-2008 school year, including a month dedicated to a voxel-based morphometry project with the Neuropsychiatry Imaging Group. I have read the radiology literature extensively, with a particular eye on the mathematics underlying the correction of MRI data for magnet inhomogeneity. Finally, I have become familiarizedwith the geometrical and statistical methods used in imaging research through my involvement in the University of Washington's Medical Scientist Research Training Program. Although my 3-dimensional echocardiography research did not involve radiology or brain imaging directly, it allowed me to accomplish the above and provided the opportunity to be published as first author in a peer reviewed journal (Clark TJ et al, Physiological Measurement 2006).

My outside activities reveal interests in applied physics in various guises. My interests in imaging and optics outside of medicine are represented by my efforts as a dedicated amateur photographer, with some of my work visible at www.toshiclark.com. My interest in acoustics is seen and heard in my ongoing involvement as a trumpet player and composer with community orchestras and a brass quintet. My interest in kinetics is represented by skiing, sailing, and amateur automobile racing with the Sports Car Club of America.

The locales in which I have lived show similar variety: I grew up in New York City as my father went through his medical training, watching him study endless textbooks. More recently I earned my undergraduate degree in Computer Science at Harvard University, and proudly greeted my sister as Dr. Clark after her 2006 graduation from University of Michigan Medical School. Currently she is undertaking a residency in Internal Medicine at the University of Colorado. As a result, I have ties to many regions of the country and am actively considering residency programs located both within and outside of the Pacific Northwest.

I seek a residency program strong in training both for clinical practice and an academic career. Following residency training I would like: to pursue a fellowship in MRI imaging of the central nervous system, continue to be involved in developing visualization software, and possibly to help develop novel MRI tracers to illuminate various tissues' functional capabilities. Thus, an established program involving collaboration within the school would be beneficial, especially between the Radiology, Bioengineering, and Applied Mathematics departments. I look forward to joining an institution that both supports its community of residents in their training and encourages them to take part in outside intellectual endeavors.