Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
we used to use the short roof adapter on a 2 dr civic hatchback we had. it worked, but is ugly. :D ehhe

i figure that if it's the same overall cost (after selling off the bob ratchets and possibly the ancient ski rack attachments -- i'll probably keep them around in case any of my ski buddies have a rack but not the mounts) i might as well go back to the hitch, especially since the wrx does have a ski pass through in the rear seat...

thule recommended mounting (on wagon but same difference):

http://img282.echo.cx/img282/9742/img16639fi.jpg

with short roof adapter

http://www.edwardaten.com/personal/pictures/5.jpg

yakima, note spacing

http://users.adelphia.net/~mlkegley/saab/rack.JPG

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
sweet. sold the whole thule + bob ratchet setup today :thumb: to trailhacker and Snacks, who came to pick it up just a few hours ago. they'll put it to good use, and with these proceeds then the hitch + Sportworks T2 will be the same cost (within $10) of a new Yakima setup.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ok, public service announcement:

i'm going to be on the road from half an hour from now through about the 29th. see you on the far side :thumb:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
woot. back now, a few days early as i skipped out on california. ears ringing from car's exhaust. more later along with pics aplenty

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
mmm 2.5 liters of turbo-ed goodness. i wouldn't mind having a little (a lot) more torque below 2500 rpm or so, and i imagine the extra displacement would help a ton. oh well. :D

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Toshi said:
mmm 2.5 liters of turbo-ed goodness. i wouldn't mind having a little (a lot) more torque below 2500 rpm or so, and i imagine the extra displacement would help a ton. oh well. :D
ditto - I don't care about top end speed, all I want is less tubro lag and more torque in the low end.

I'm so damn tempted to trade in my Wagon for a new one. Plus mine is having it's little problems which are starting to piss me off...but then again, the last thing I want to do right now is spend more $$ on a car :(

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Acadian said:
ditto - I don't care about top end speed, all I want is less tubro lag and more torque in the low end.

I'm so damn tempted to trade in my Wagon for a new one. Plus mine is having it's little problems which are starting to piss me off...but then again, the last thing I want to do right now is spend more $$ on a car :(
get those PPG (sp?) dogbox gears for 1-3! :thumb: hehe. synchro issues no more...

prophet6

Chimp
Mar 25, 2002
North Easton, MA
Hey man, glad to hear you got the car ok.

I just dropped a Borla stainless exhaust onto my car, and it's a really nice sound... after having it for two weeks now, I'm still happy.

It's very quiet at idle, unnoticable on the highway, and only really makes itself known at full throttle. That's when I want it loud anyway.

just a thought.

p6

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
yeah, the borla hush is one of the "quiet" aftermarket exhausts. but the prodrive is supposed to be even quieter, so that's what's going on. :thumb: even with the prodrive i'm sure my car at least will make itself known, through the turbo whoosh as it spools up, the blow off valve, the externally vented wastegate, etc. i'd rather hear those sounds than stupid resonance in a can.

prophet6

Chimp
Mar 25, 2002
North Easton, MA
I'll say that there are few better sounds than a screaming turbo, and a nice, fat "whoooosh" every time you clutch under boost.

ah, forced induction, how I love thee....

p6

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

my car should finally be sorted out this upcoming week: interior detail tomorrow, seatbelt retractor repair on wednesday, stereo install on thursday and friday, prodrive (quiet!) axleback exhaust + hitch + manual boost controller install on saturday, tint + ridiculously loud horn install in the hazy future.

:thumb:

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Toshi said:
my car should finally be sorted out by this following monday: interior detail tomorrow, seatbelt retractor repair on wednesday, stereo install on thursday and friday, tint + ridiculously loud horn install on saturday, prodrive (quiet!) axleback exhaust + hitch + manual boost controller install next monday.

:thumb:
<--- jealous. ;)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
but you bought yours new, no? mine needs this work to obtain a baseline level of polish :D . i think i'm going autocrossing on sunday btw :thumb:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
got the stereo put in yesterday and today, and it sounded awful. :dead:

but note the past tense: a quick look around the settings showed that the installer hadn't set the active crossover up at all, and as a result there were frequency regions that simply weren't being covered by any speakers. 30 minutes with the manual + art of fugue from the snazzilly dash-mounted ipod in a parking lot later and the system sounds swell :thumb:

tim, i ended up going with no rear fill and the following components:

pioneer p9 headunit and eq/crossover
JL audio 300/4 and e-something (their cheap 2 channel) amps, sub driven off 2 bridged channels on the 300/4, mids off the other two channels on the 300/4, tweeters on the e-amp
mb quart reference components in the front doors
JL 10w3 10" sub in a custom wood/mdf box tucked in the corner of the trunk

i don't have a spare tire (to save weight! that's why i have AAA :D) so the amps and eq/crossover are all mounted in the spare tire well. the ipod is on a dashboard mount (proclip, highly recommended :thumb: ).

prophet6

Chimp
Mar 25, 2002
North Easton, MA
If I wasn't worried about reselling my car at some point, there's some other stuff l'd like to do to my ride.

First off, rip out all the sound insulation. Don't need that.
Then the back seat would come out.
I'd strip the rear doors, weld on the skins, and use some pig 'ol pipe to replace what I'd taken out.
Then a roll cage, racing seats, and 5 way harnesses.
Ditch the air conditioning, ditch the radio/speakers.
Carbon hood, front fenders, and rear trunk lid.

But at that point, I'd want a different motor, and it's all a moot point.

anyway.

glad to hear you can bump tunes in your whip.

p6

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
autocrossing is quite fun :) . i think i might sell my canfield to this end, even... we'll see later on tonight.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
prophet6 said:
So if you're selling the canfield, is that to fund goodies for autocrossing?

details, please.

p6
nothing fancy or exorbitant:

- used gold BBS STi wheels from some hypothetical schmoe with an '04 STi who is upgrading their setup. ('04 since '05/'06 STi have a different bolt pattern)
- either the STi-OEM RE-070 tires if they come with the wheels and aren't bald, or probably Falken Azenis. 225 or 245 width on 17"s.
- and i'd replace my slipping exedy 3-puck clutch with something more streetable (no n-puck clutches EVER! again for me) that would also not slip as a side benefit. the clutch wasn't really holding me back at all at yesterday's event since there was only one straightaway long enough to really stomp on it.

given that i'm running 16x7" wheels with 205 "touring" tires it'd be a huge step up in grip. and look nicer. :sneaky:

prophet6

Chimp
Mar 25, 2002
North Easton, MA
since tires are a HUGE step up in performance, consider making one set of wheels your "track" setup, and the other streets.

If you go that route, don't automaticly make the 17's your track wheels- you should use the lighter set. Calculate out the weight including the tires. That'll be the faster set.

Get the absolute stickiest tires you can. If they're just for track, don't even stick to the DOT tires- go with slicks if you like.

have fun!

p6

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Toshi said:
nothing fancy or exorbitant:

- used gold BBS STi wheels from some hypothetical schmoe with an '04 STi who is upgrading their setup. ('04 since '05/'06 STi have a different bolt pattern)
- either the STi-OEM RE-070 tires if they come with the wheels and aren't bald, or probably Falken Azenis. 225 or 245 width on 17"s.
- and i'd replace my slipping exedy 3-puck clutch with something more streetable (no n-puck clutches EVER! again for me) that would also not slip as a side benefit. the clutch wasn't really holding me back at all at yesterday's event since there was only one straightaway long enough to really stomp on it.

given that i'm running 16x7" wheels with 205 "touring" tires it'd be a huge step up in grip. and look nicer. :sneaky:

have you considered the OZ superleggeras?? they are pretty light. i´ve had them before, and they are pretty nice.
they are probably the most popular wheels for WRXs around here... though not as strong as the record (which are widely used for rallying around here). but they are pretty light and look awesome in the imprezas.

can i suggest kumho slicks? they are pretty cheap when compared to michelins, and they are extremely grippy as well. and seeing how little slick tires last.. might be a good $$$ decision.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
but used STi takeoffs would be cheap :D . i'll consider the whole tire deal: it might make sense if feasible to run street meats on the 17"s and use the lightweight and ugly rotas with dot r compound slicks or whatever.

however, if rules dictate street (non-R compound) tires then i think 17"s with azenis or re-070s would work just fine.

yeah, this page seems to indicate that Street Modified, the class that i would run once i graduate from novice, heh, requires "street" tires with treadwear over 140. that is, no r compound semislicks. back to the falken azenis plan.

http://autoxer.skiblack.com/tires.html said:
DOT race tires

The second group are "R" tires, that is tires which meet the letter of the DOT regulations for street tires, but are really meant for competition use. Goodyear's Eagle VR-S, Yoko A008-RSII, and Hoosier's RS-303 are examples of this breed. These tires have the sidewall stiffened to avoid the tire rolling over on its shoulder during hard use, so using the 25/35 tire pressure is still a good baseline.

Street Modified tires

With the advent of the new SCCA "Street" classes, there are some tires which come very close to the concept of a tire you can drive on the street that will also work at an autocross. The Falken Azenzi and Kumho 712 are examples of this type, with a minimum tread wear rating of 140.
note separate mention of street mod apart from dot race tires.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Acadian said:
wow...you're new car sounds nice!! looks like it's got lots of power too :thumb:

are you really selling the DH bike to get more into auto-x and stuff?
if it sells, then yes, that's what i'm doing. i could really use better tires and a different clutch. the 3 puck is a pain to drive and is slipping a bit (altho it "catches back up" to the torque).

plus i only made it to whistler 4 times last summer and didn't really feel like going for more. i've hit a plateau there: i can ride the big box, clean original sin, a-line, but i'm never going to be whipping out big tricks on the huge jumps in the boneyard (or even hitting them) or clearing the triple on the bikercross or whatever.

a dyno chart from the previous owner, who claims that mustang dynos read low (as in 60 whp low) compared to dynojets...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
this is my 10,000th post. cheers to much wasted time on the monkey

:oink:

i'm 12th on the list of top posters, btw, altho it really should be 13th behind the pseudo-newb Acadian