Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
They were very cool. But heavy. And they creak a bit. But they're still awesome. ohio (Marc) lives nearby and rides by the Science Center each day, so if you are interested you guys could probably meet in person...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Haha, right; actually, I think it is going to build up to be around 34 lbs with the Super T, 32ish with a Z1... :D Of course, it remains to be seen whether I can pedal the short but long beast at all -- I'm not sure if I'll be able to get proper leg extension even with a 360 mm post. :eek:

Quadari

Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
Washington, DC
Hey guys! I'm back in action here in MA. To bad the weather is so crappy. I was looking forward to doing some riding this weekend, but it looks like the only place I'm going to be riding to is Star Market.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Yesterday I pulled a bonehead move -- instead of chopping the spokes to remove the hub of the wheel with the huge flat spot, I cut the spokes on my (formerly) good rear wheel. :eek: :rolleyes: :( Oh well.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Are you saying you like that, er, "FreeCross" more than my beautiful Super T? :eek: :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
All that's missing now is the frame. :D Check out the ginormous seat and seatposts:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Thad, any updates on the bike search, or has your cdale been recovered?

Friday morning edit: go Brasil! Also, a cheer for road bikes which get me to the quad and back to watch Brasil (you have to dig the huge flat pedals, no? :D ):

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
'twas a nice ride today, Ari. :D Keith/Thad, are you aware that he's eyeing road bikes? The dark side is calling him... :eek: in other news, were it not for the fact that Belmont Wheelworks won't be giving me my breaks back until Tuesday, the Evil could potentially be rideable tomorrow afternoon. :D :D :D I think i have to learn how to ride smoothly (ie, sans brakes) in the next couple of days...

edit: work in progress:

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
toshi, nice form on that wall ;) . (not that I'd know)
When do I get to ride with this legend (by legend I mean the bike) in person?? What are you and ari doing monday after work?

I got the bomber back today, and I added about 10cm of oil to make it feel super progressive. It feels pretty good, but It needs some braking in (which should be done on monday after work).

let me know if you're in.

Quadari

Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
Washington, DC
Hey...I think the photographer deserves some credit for that classic photo. :D

I must say, the evil was pretty darn nice. Eye catching too. All the guys at the shop were coming over to talk about it.

I might be up for a monday evening ride. Plus I want to see Toshi negotiate the Fells on the Evil.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I don't think I'll have any work to speak of until mid-July, so I'm game for riding Monday, Tuesday, whenever. My knees may break off, tho, unless I can figure out how to get a semi-normal riding position out of the Evil. It's fun, but with the seat down low I feel like I'm a circus freak, and with the seat high I have to stretch for the bars (thanks to the 55 degree seat tube).

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
oops. that last didn't work.

hi guys,

just got back into town. I was in Texas last week. Still no word on the bike. Calling insurance company tomorrow.

Sadly, the road bike is my only remaining option until i get this sorted out. :D :devil:

T

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
Originally posted by Toshi
...It's fun, but with the seat down low I feel like I'm a circus freak, and with the seat high I have to stretch for the bars (thanks to the 55 degree seat tube)...
hehe... circus freak. I was going to suggest just sitting on the seat tube because the angle was so slack, but I thought that would be mean. Of course, now that you said something...

Anyway. I'm thinking of meeting people in the harvard vicinity in the 5:15 vicinity. I'l give y'all the hard details on monday during the day.

Thad: If you want to ride, I can throw some knobbies on my beater. It's got the maitou fork on it now, and It's a pretty sweet ride. If you were running SPDs before, I got a pair I can throw on too.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Kieth, that'd be great i actually have an extra pair of the CODA pedals I was using that I can bring along.

also, i may be driving to wheelworks at some point this afternoon if anyone wants/needs to come with...

T

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Verdicts and results from tonights mini-urban ride:

The Evil is much easier to manual than any of the bikes I've had as of yet, including the Planet X Bommer. However, I still suck at them: 3 good manuals out of countless attempts. Verdict: rider incompetence

Doing that cool turn-out from rolling backwards is hard with double crown forks. The Super T must go. 3 good turn-outs (what are they called anyways?) out of not quite so many attempts. Verdict: rider error

Bunnyhopping is all good on the beastie. I cleared the medium height section of the chain fence along Mt. Auburn on my first try. Verdict: thumbs up all around

I gave the bike a taste of climbing by attempting to scale the concrete barrier alongside the stairs at the athletic complex (the same one that Keirse and I do nose wheelies down). I felt as if I was going to fall straight backwards on my head, and didn't make it up. Verdict: will postpone until tomorrow

Finally, the wardrobe: I wore my infamous Pinkbike "I love seven inches in the rear" shirt, my moto full face, arm guards, shin guards, and Vans. I looked like a huge dork, and was sweating like one as well. For tomorrow I think the shin guards will go, but I'll stick with the arm and head protection (altho I do have a normal helmet... hmm) for tomorrows ride. Verdict: style, protection, comfort, where art thou? Not at Harvard :eek: :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by Quadari

How was your guys' ride this evening? Did you survive the fells on the Evil, Toshi?
Here's the page for today's ride.

Casualties from tonight's ride include Keith's front wheel, fork, and skull, and my seatpost. Keith ate it big time on the drop after eyeing it up as he always does.

Keith's high school friend, Dave (I think -- correct me if I'm wrong here, Keith) also did the drop. Make sure to note of his fork and chain. :eek:

I fell on the drop, too: immediately after this picture was taken, I sat down with some force. That's what I get for trying (and later succeeding) to pedal kick the drop on the Evil (movie). My seatpost is listed as a casualty because it bent during the ride, probably because of the Evil's crazy 55 degree seat tube angle. I'm calling Hurricane up tomorrow in hopes of getting it warrantied, and I'll be quite peeved if they don't hook me up, since this was the first real ride on it.

Anyways, all of the pics are pretty good from today, mainly thanks to the interesting subject matter (namely Keith's tacoed front wheel :D ). Enjoy.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
ouch. that photo of keith, fork pointing downward, foot out of the pedal and going forward, doesn't bode well for the immediate future.

glad to hear that you didn't really wrack yerself.

toshi, based on the photo of the drop you posted, you'd best hope that hurricane doesn't see it. if you sat on any post hard from that landing, none would likely survive. just too great of a moment arm (length of exposed post and seat tube angle of the imperial) for anything to survive that. you're probably lucky that it didn't fracture and pierce yr tender bits... :eek:

good luck w/ the warranty though, and have fun w/ the bike. i can't wait to try peter's at some point.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
It's too bad that Keith is so freakishly tall that the photog (me) chopped his head off. :eek:

The funny thing about the pic that you mention is that the seatpost was high only because it had already bent in a strictly-xc ride around the NEMBA loop, and I couldn't lower it.

Additions: another item of note is that by "sitting down with some force" when I crashed I meant that I sat down on the ground :eek: , not the seatpost. I learned at an early age that seats are not friendly to land on from any height. :D Also, for my hahhhvahd friends who only read this thread, here is a link to my whining about my bent (and stuck) seatpost: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23270
Originally posted by narlus
ouch. that photo of keith, fork pointing downward, foot out of the pedal and going forward, doesn't bode well for the immediate future.

glad to hear that you didn't really wrack yerself.

toshi, based on the photo of the drop you posted, you'd best hope that hurricane doesn't see it. if you sat on any post hard from that landing, none would likely survive. just too great of a moment arm (length of exposed post and seat tube angle of the imperial) for anything to survive that. you're probably lucky that it didn't fracture and pierce yr tender bits... :eek:

good luck w/ the warranty though, and have fun w/ the bike. i can't wait to try peter's at some point.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Keith and I swapped forks for fun this afternoon. The funny thing is that both of our bikes look reasonably normal dressed in the others' clothes, and we both we riding better than usual... :eek:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Anyone up for a Fells ride on Thursday? Dave Weagle (obiwan-f1moto here) of Evil Bikes fame may make an appearance.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Keith and I went dirt jumping today. No one died, and we met a guy named Mike, who rides a Balfa Minuteman and drops 8 ft. to flat on occasion. :eek: Anyways, here are the pics (and movies :D ): http://tjclark.ath.cx/images/humba/june 26, 2002 dirt jumping/

(I switched from 50 ISO to 800 in the middle of shooting, and you can really tell. Next time I'll use moderation, maybe a 200 or 400, to avoid the graininess of 800 while retaining some of the richness of 50. Just in case anyone cares ;) .)

Quadari

Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
Washington, DC
...and you guys kept your forks flipped.

How does the double crown feel, Keith?

Damn air conditioning...it's not working in DeWolfe for some reason. Worst day possible to stop working.