Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ACD635BE-777F-4DDC-B025-D10CAC916E99.jpeg

This is what the Tesla thinks is going on as I pull out of the garage. “Sedan” in back is the minivan. “Bus” that has driven clear through the front of the 3 is my parked-at-an-angle Land Cruiser.

Nailed it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Just ordered this.

Snapper XD 82V MAX Electric Cordless 21-Inch Self-Propelled Lawnmower Kit with (2) 2.0 Batteries & (1) Rapid Charger, 1687914, SXD21SPWM82K

It’s the Amazon Gold Box deal of the day. I figure that with Amazon’s return policy I’ll give it a shot (and in the worst case just use my fancy Honda gas one), since lawn mower emissions are probably quite high in my household’s total mix given our efficient house and the non-Land Cruiser vehicles.
There's someone selling a goat on Nextdoor.

(I respect your attempts to minimize your footprint)

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
There's someone selling a goat on Nextdoor.

(I respect your attempts to minimize your footprint)
In some areas (but not here) one can rent goats as an Amazon Home Service. I'd totally do that if it were possible. :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
~.15 acre to mow, or .15 is the full lot with a giant house on it so like 4 square feet of grass?
House isn't giant. 3272 sq ft including a basement and two floors, so it, the garage, and the driveway are probably taking up 1500 sq ft. It's not a tiny patch of lawn but isn't giant by any means.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

If you have a half hour of time and are interested in two people with flat affects talking to each other.

I thought it was fascinating. On April 22 I want to be shown why Elon has such unbridled confidence. “Game, set, match.” I am willing to be convinced but show me results, not empty tales about number of vehicles with sensor suites on the road.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Just ordered this.

Snapper XD 82V MAX Electric Cordless 21-Inch Self-Propelled Lawnmower Kit with (2) 2.0 Batteries & (1) Rapid Charger, 1687914, SXD21SPWM82K

It’s the Amazon Gold Box deal of the day. I figure that with Amazon’s return policy I’ll give it a shot (and in the worst case just use my fancy Honda gas one), since lawn mower emissions are probably quite high in my household’s total mix given our efficient house and the non-Land Cruiser vehicles.
What no self driving electric mover

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I am considering the ego mower, why did you go with the snapper toshi?
Because it was on sale as a Gold Box deal for $439 including 2 2Ah batteries and the rapid charger. (And because I will return it if it sucks and feel no guilt.)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Today is day 4 in a row of commuting to work on the e-bike. Since I do such things and have some data via Strava I'm going to see if I can quantify the electric bike's effects a bit.

Baseline is a 11/13/17 commute I did on my pedal-powered commuter bike on the same route. (I've commuted many times but usually take a route with more paved paths and roads when on the unpowered bike.)

Me-powered: 47 minutes moving time, 120 bpm "best 20 min heart rate", 7.1 mph climbing speed, 148W estimated weighted average power, 9.7 mph overall average.

Comparison data points are commutes in on essentially the same off-road-maximizing route on 4/15-18/19 and 4/5/19. I think I used Boost Mode for the 4/5/19 ride and used Trail Mode for this weeks' commutes.

Boost Mode single point: 28:33 moving time, 130 bpm, 15.7 mph climbing, 386W, 15.5 mph average.

Trail Mode median data over 4 rides: 31:10, 129 bpm, 13.8 mph, 295W, 14.1 mph.
Takeaways:

I was riding at a pretty leisurely pace on that 2017 unpowered commute as evidenced by the low average heart rate. That said:

Unpowered -> Trail Mode: 33% shorter riding time albeit at higher me-effort, 94% quicker on the climbs, system contributing 148W on average (just about doubling my efforts), 45% higher average speed.

Meanwhile Trail -> Boost shaves about 10% more riding time off yet, and adds 14% climbing speed and 10% average speed. On the other hand, it feels unnatural and adds 31% or 91W more power, or an average of 238W on top of my presumed baseline effort.

Cliffs Notes: Trail Mode is nice for my commute. It neatly doubles my power output while feeling natural (torque sensing is key), and cuts my time on the bike by a third.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Audio system consultation done. I went to Elevated Audio, which is at 6th and Sheridan in Lakewood. The install isn’t done yet but the initial experience has been good: scheduling this consultation via email with Google Calendar invites, sales dude who did it was friendly and without pressure.

The installer apparently has 18 years of experience and drives a 2007 Lexus GX 470 himself. He mentioned that the JBL systems in Lexuses and Toyotas of that era often blew out speakers, apparently dry rotting at the periphery of the cone. The sales guy and I therefore sound tested the system in the car and all speakers seem to be ok—no upselling pressure there since things are good enough.

He then presented several options for getting audio in. I ultimately went with a Grom product that has USB audio in. It’s stupid since the stereo is nothing fancy but I wanted to avoid compressed A2DP Bluetooth audio (and analog aux in) on principle, so I did. I will lose the CD/DVD changer functionality, though, as the input box emulates the changer and uses its input.

The install will be May 1. I’ll go riding early in the morning, drop the vehicle off at 8:30, then ride to the train.

Cliffs Notes: Not doing anything fancy with the Land Cruiser stereo, just adding a USB audio input.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Did he at least tell you that audio is gonna sound like shit in your car regardless of how much you spend?

:D
It’ll let us stream Frozen and the Lion King over and over while driving up to the mountains, so as long as it’s at least recognizable as those then my kids will be happy as clams.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Headlights restored. 500, 1000, 3000 grit, the latter wet sanded, and then a rubbing compound. Everything was with a power drill. The appearance after the 500 and 1000 grit sanding steps was unnerving but it looks ok in the end.

In chronological order:

Start

Buffed

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
If the Snapper mower sucks then I might give this a try:

Makita XML03PT1

From the Makita 36V line, which uses two of their 18V batteries in series. I’ve been happy with the similarly Makita, brushless, and 36V string trimmer and blower from their same lineup, and nominal voltage (e.g. 82V for the really 72V Snapper) is meaningless in and of itself.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Cleaning out crap from one’s toolbench is satisfying, as is reminiscing over why I have this or that tool in the first place.

There’s still some more yet in there that I should probably toss another night.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I've been working here since 7 AM. Read 35 musculoskeletal radiology films (and a bunch of other stuff). I had noticed there was an MSK radiologist sitting in the corner reading outpatient studies (as opposed to inpatient or emergency ones).

I thought he was there on his own volition, catching up on the outpatient list.

Well, it turns out that he is here on call as a 3rd person. All those studies I read should have been read by him. This misunderstanding would be less galling except that I actually walked over and asked him about one such study. At that time it'd been nice for him to pipe up with something like "oh, I see that's an ER MSK film. Those should go to me" but no such words emanated from his mouth, only advice on what type of fracture it was, and I continued to blithely do much of his work for him.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Strong work, Amazon Warehouse employee who repackaged a Kryptonite lock for resale as lightly used… and didn’t include any keys with it.