Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You have no idea how much I regret selling that car and the can of worms the downstream caused me. That being said, no. Also, why are you on NASIOC still?
Sell M, sell current Forester, get this one for $18k?

I'm still very active in Off-Topic there.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Out of idle curiosity I looked up going prices for completed Tesla Model 3 listings over at eBay Motors. It seems that low $40s (unsure of EAP/FSD status) is common for LR AWD, and I even saw a Performance sell for under $50k.

So my selling-to-break-even plans are definitely out, and it'll remain in my garage for a few years until the VW ID Buzz (or Chrysler Portal) are out and replace the wife's PacHy.

(What I'm saying is I'm going to get a hitch for the Model 3, but can afford to wait out a sale since the Land Cruiser isn't going anywhere.)

For the upcoming season's midweek skiing jaunts I'll take the Tesla as I did last season unless the forecast is of a big dump indeed. I don't need a roof rack for that--if it's just me a ski bag going from the rear seat area to the front passenger footwell works just fine.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Ugly as sin, yes. Beam axle in the rear looks super weak and funny, too! (It's FWD as it's Ducato based.)

I'm posting it here because it is electric. 86 kWh, 140 kW motor, 300 km optimistic range. But Euro only and 160k Euros. The time has not yet come, as that's very expensive for a small Class C, in essence.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I don’t know how many days I can actually attend, but I just made hotel reservations for Sunday through Saturday in early March in Maui for one of my specialty-specific conferences.

:fancy:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Not sure re timing for @Nick and @stoney with mortgage shenanigans, but I just read an article tonight that says the consensus view is for another 0.25% prime rate reduction at the next Fed meeting in about 10 days. So hold your fingers off the trigger for auto and home loans, I'd say.

(I'm going to refinance the two remaining car notes after I pay off the Land Cruiser at the end of October assuming I'll be able to get less than my current 3.49% x 65 months through DCU with these prime changes, and may go for a mortgage refinance at that same time if they deem I meet <80% LTV and if it's better than my current 3.875% x 30 years deal.)

Edit: fixed current rate on car notes. DCU is currently offering 2.99% x 65 months for efficient vehicles (as are both that I'd refinance). However they're also only offering 4.00% for 30 year fixed jumbo refinances.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
More re fasting:

In this small, uncontrolled study 9 men were injected with HGH, DHEA, and metformin. They regenerated some thymus and had epigenetic markers of age actually go back to that expected at an earlier age. Great, if iffy design.

This ties into fasting because one thing that fasting does is raise endogenous HGH levels! (And it also combats diabetes, contrary to what happens with exogenous HGH, thus the metformin in this study.)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
WTF is this?

Let me list its sins:

- 80 degree head angle and that’s a rigid fork
- 35” seat height
- looks to be a standard Bafang mid drive and off the shelf battery casing so looking at 500-750W and 500 Wh
- so it’s slow if a motorcycle yet only has single speed gearing so is useless as a pedal assist e-bike

In conclusion, everything is sacrificed for styling and it looks stupid.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Here’s something that I may do:

Not sure what the actual Colorado terms will be, but for that sample contract it was $50/mo for a 3.8 kW system, $100/mo for 7.6 kW, and $150/mo for 11.4 kW. No installation fees. No removal fees.

The value of the electricity produced by such a system should be more than this rental fee.

For context I have 2.6 kW of SolarCity 25 or 30 year prepaid leased PV on my roof (the lease prepaid by the builder of my house so no cost to me) at the moment, and offset 100% of my residual electric usage through Xcel’s Renewable*Connect service. R*C is nearly free (I think this year I’m paying a tiny bit more per kWh offset than the base cost of the dirty electricity—last year it was precisely the same cost as dirty power) but this would actually pay me a bit, with no up front money. I want to avoid up front money because, again, I’m highly leveraged and am attempting to deleverage these years.

Edit: Not in CO.

Right now, we are offering the option to rent solar panels in six states – Arizona, California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey and New Mexico.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Fasting plan for this week:

No food on Monday, Wednesday, or Friday. 6-8 hr feeding windows on Tuesday, Thursday, and each weekend day. (Today I made it about 20 hours from last night as I didn't eat until after the long Mule Deer slog.) In other words, this week will have 3 built in ~42 hour fasts.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The Shuttle's midsection is creaking quite a bit. I should take it back to GBS when I get a few days between planned rides to see if they can fix that... or if it's due to me breaking something else. :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Just in case you were wondering how I'd configure a new Defender. Because I know that was on your mind.

This would have to be 100% a custom order, because there's no way in hell a dealer would have a $65k Defender stocked with steelies and a fabric 3-row interior.

(No, I'm not doing this. But playing around in configurators is fun!)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
@stoney

3 g net carbs ready to go snacks? These fit with the macros you need? These are by SuperFat.

I bought two boxes of two different flavors and they’re pretty good. Just a little bit of a pain to scrape out the last bit from the squeezee neck. I use a knife.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
@stoney

3 g net carbs ready to go snacks? These fit with the macros you need? These are by SuperFat.

I bought two boxes of two different flavors and they’re pretty good. Just a little bit of a pain to scrape out the last bit from the squeezee neck. I use a knife.
Any fake sugars? Link?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Just in case you were wondering how I'd configure a new Defender. Because I know that was on your mind.

This would have to be 100% a custom order, because there's no way in hell a dealer would have a $65k Defender stocked with steelies and a fabric 3-row interior.

(No, I'm not doing this. But playing around in configurators is fun!)
Is that a Mini?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I’m bored (kids are asleep and wife is at a rehearsal) so here are some e-bikes for the post-defattening period that’d both get me to work quicker than me on my single speed pedal bike and that would allow me to drop off 2 or 3 kids along the way. (I have schedule flexibility several days per week so this would be a thing I’d actually would be able to do.)

Riese & Müeller Multicharger

Up to two kids. Relatively normal size. 28 mph option. Rohloff with belt drive as option. Very expensive, over $8k with all those options ticked.

Riese & Müeller Load 75

Up to three kids! Very long and with potentially awkward handling. 28 mph, Rohloff, belt drive options as the other R&M. Extremely expensive: $11.7k as I’d configure it.

Surly Big Easy

Two kids. Pretty long. 20 mph limit from the Bosch, derailleurs. $5k and probably super durable: 300 lbs max for rider, 200 for cargo, 400 max between the two.

Yuba Spicy Curry

Two kids, one potentially even a small kid as in the second photo (would work on other bikes as well but no adapter needed for this one). Pretty long. 20 mph Bosch, derailleurs. $4.5k, cheaper than the QBP house brand, go figure.

Xtracycle RFA

Two kids, Yepp seat integration. Medium long and can be converted to a normal wheelbase even. 28 mph option, and choice of 400/500/500 x 2 batteries—flexible. $5-6k roughly with decent options.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
An addendum to the e-cargo thoughts above: apparently on the true longtail cargo bikes 3 or even 4 kids can be squeezed in (if none of them need the bulkier Yepp seat).

Here are 3 on an Xtracycle Classic, which similar to the RFA can be specced with a 28 mph Bosch unit…

When/if I hit 200 lbs I think one of these non-German models will find a place in my garage.

Last edited: