Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
:notbadObama:

Encountered probably 75 leaf peepers through my 7 mile loop but a good ride nonetheless. Today was a great use case for the Timber bell!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
@stoney you know you can run regular gas in the wife’s JX35, right? It’ll pull timing. I read it sacrifices 6 hp. That’d be immensely cheaper than making a lateral move to a Pilot.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
@stoney you know you can run regular gas in the wife’s JX35, right? It’ll pull timing. I read it sacrifices 6 hp. That’d be immensely cheaper than making a lateral move to a Pilot.
We're getting rid of the Infiniti within a year anyways because of the warranty expiration. I'll talk with her tomorrow about it though. Looks like it also impacts mileage negatively, which can offset the cost savings.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Margin is positive on Tesla’s car sales, something like 20%. They just have huge capex for factories and Superchargers, high R&D costs for developing multiple lines, and a boat anchor in SolarCity.
But but Volvo still turns a profit

Btw Vestas is a Danish company. Interesting case how it became a major player globally but that’s a different story.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
We're getting rid of the Infiniti within a year anyways because of the warranty expiration. I'll talk with her tomorrow about it though. Looks like it also impacts mileage negatively, which can offset the cost savings.
I think the rational choice for her would be a 2010-up Highlander Hybrid (or HiHy as I like to call it :D) with a CPO warranty. But rational apparently isn't a criterion.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Starting to read this now:

Dr. Fung is the same author of the fasting book. I imagine I'll have seen most of the information presented in this book via my other reading and viewing (prolonged insulin elevation == bad).

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

Dr. Fung is the same author of the fasting book. I imagine I'll have seen most of the information presented in this book via my other reading and viewing (prolonged insulin elevation == bad).
For my post-lunch-ride lunch I had a bowl of homemade chicken & rice soup, a couple small brownies, and some ice cream. Oh... and a hot tub before lunch. :fancy:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

with that sort of horseshit. :mad:

Hell, this whole page of search results:

My people, they are many

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

Hell, this whole page of search results:

My people, they are many
Oh - I *know* there are many people that do this shit. And they all deserve:

The most egregious that I've seen lately was FoCo HoCo. Almost had me ranting about dumb fucks out loud like a crazy-person... but I resisted. Because it's irrational, my irritation by this. :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
How does one run up medical-school type debt and then become a ski guide? That's some SURGEON-level shit right there. :fancy:
Looks like he does work:

Dr. Forward works in rural Alaska through the ANTHC Rural Provider Network, most recently at the Maniilaq Health Center in Kotzebue. The ANTHC Rural Provider Network connects specialty care doctors to the places that they are needed most but might not otherwise be available in smaller communities. These doctors are employed by ANTHC and deliver health care services at Tribal health organizations across Alaska.

The Journal chose Dr. Forward out of the largest group ever nominated for the award. He was chosen not only for his service as a medical provider, but for his passion as a lead guide for Chugach Power Guides out of Girdwood.

Jason Motyka of Girdwood stated on Dr. Forwards nomination form, “Paul’s passion and determination to help communities all over Alaska through his medical work combined with his knowledge and leadership skills as an Alaskan outdoorsman make him a truly unique candidate for the 2019 Top Forty under 40 class.”
Also doin' it right.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

A key quote, among many (great book!):

page 86-87 said:
Hormones are central to understanding obesity. Everything about human metabolism, including the body set weight, is hormonally regulated. A critical physiological variable such as body fatness is not left up to the vagaries of daily caloric intake and exercise. Instead, hormones precisely and tightly regulate body fat. We don't consciously control our body weight any more than we control our heart rates, our basal metabolic rates, our body temperatures or our breathing. These are all automatically regulated, and so is our weight. Hormones tell us when we are hungry (ghrelin). Hormones tell us when we are full (peptide YY, cholecystokinin). Hormones increase energy expenditure (adrenalin[e]). Hormones shut down energy expenditure ([reductions in] thyroid hormone). Obesity is a hormonal dysregulation of fat accumulation. Calories are nothing more than the proximate cause of obesity.

Obesity is a hormonal, not a caloric imbalance.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Calories are nothing more than the proximate cause of obesity. .
Exactly!
Obesity is the predictable result of a calorie surplus. Diet and exercise dictate the presence or absence of a calorie surplus.

If I'm understanding your quote; by their science IRB could run marathons like a beast and if his hormones said so, he'd be overweight. Or some sedentary gal could eat 4,000 calories a day and do nothing, but if their hormones dictated such they'd be slim.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I think the rational choice for her would be a 2010-up Highlander Hybrid (or HiHy as I like to call it :D) with a CPO warranty. But rational apparently isn't a criterion.
I don't disagree. She has issues with the limited space in the third row for passengers.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Exactly!
Obesity is the predictable result of a calorie surplus. Diet and exercise dictate the presence or absence of a calorie surplus.

If I'm understanding your quote; by their science IRB could run marathons like a beast and if his hormones said so, he'd be overweight. Or some sedentary gal could eat 4,000 calories a day and do nothing, but if their hormones dictated such they'd be slim.
If IRB was given exogenous insulin or cortisol/hydrocortisone then yes, he'd be fat even with that exercise. And if a sedentary gal ate 4,000 calories per day but was a type 1 diabetic without enough insulin then yes, she'd waste away.

I don't disagree. She has issues with the limited space in the third row for passengers.
And the Pilot is better? Seems awfully small back there from poking my head into my neighbor's one.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
@Nick if I sent you a copy of this book would you read it? :D Serious question, because I will do so if you will.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Set up alarm on the leave in thermometer for 105F this time, pulled at 110F. Got up to 120F or a touch higher while resting.

My kids loved it as well. 6 year old in foreground usually doesn’t care for steak but this one got a thumbs up, especially the ribeye cap.

:lol:

Expensive tastes I’m breeding...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Just ordered this:

My construction-rerouted bike commuting route has me on a multiuse path that is crossed by car traffic looking to turn right from an interstate off-ramp, turning right to an interstate onramp, and turning right from a major street.

All of these assholes in cars are looking to their left for car traffic to spot an opening, and I've had several close encounters. Now they shall get a 120 dB heads up. If this sucks I'll return it and get another Air Zounds air horn as I've had in the past.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Just ordered this:

My construction-rerouted bike commuting route has me on a multiuse path that is crossed by car traffic looking to turn right from an interstate off-ramp, turning right to an interstate onramp, and turning right from a major street.

All of these assholes in cars are looking to their left for car traffic to spot an opening, and I've had several close encounters. Now they shall get a 120 dB heads up. If this sucks I'll return it and get another Air Zounds air horn as I've had in the past.
I've got a bike air horn you can have gratis. Might be the Air Zounds, not sure.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
That's your ace in the hole for avoiding all kinds of carpool fuckery.
Neither of our vehicles can accommodate beyond our family +1, by design.
With ski team, planning carpool fuckery can save me driving every weekend while taking more kids on occasion. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Finished reading The Obesity Code today. A lot of the diet-specific advice mirrors The Perfect Health Diet, since both of these books make it a point to actually cite studies instead of touting (often wrong) conventional wisdom. I’d glossed over it when reading PHD but those authors actually suggested using intermittent fasting/time restricted eating in the end of their book, too.

Cliffs Notes for Dr. Fung’s take on things:

- reduce intake of refined grains and sugars (and if you do eat them try to eat them with an acid and a fat as that reduces the glycemic load—like sushi rice!)
- moderate protein consumption (because protein causes a rise in insulin, just not as quick as carbs)
- increase natural fats (and saturated fats like in my ribeyes are aok), with the unspoken corollary that one should avoid vegetable oils/omega-6 fats (and thus basically anything that comes out of a box!)
- give your body a break from insulin: that’d be intermittent fasting on the order of 16, 18, 24, 36 hours for most people
Note the lack of “move more” advice there—it’s all in the book but exercise is good for many things… but not for weight loss, per se. And also note the lack of a general “eat less” there, too, just to shift carbs to fat basically: because calorie restriction leads to downregulation of metabolism.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Norwegian EV association put [these three EVs] to the test with a 1,160 kg (~2,550 lbs) camper trailer. Over three days, they drove 1,381 kilometers with the three electric SUVs.
ModelsWh per km/mi with trailerWh per km/mi without trailer
Tesla Model X Long Range (100D)279 Wh/449 Wh153 Wh/246 Wh
Mercedes-Benz EQC 400306 Wh/492 Wh163 Wh/262 Wh
Audi e-tron 55353 Wh/568 Wh185 Wh/298 Wh

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Do we know why the Tesla is more efficient?

The canteen at work has been doing amazing thing with portion control and at the same time using the less food consumed to finance better quality ingredients. Would this also have a positive effect on long term weight?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Do we know why the Tesla is more efficient?

The canteen at work has been doing amazing thing with portion control and at the same time using the less food consumed to finance better quality ingredients. Would this also have a positive effect on long term weight?
Better quality ingredients may, if the amount of refined flour and sugar is reduced. Amount probably won't--if people truly eat less over a day then their metabolisms will slow down to match it, and if they eat more at home to make up for it then similarly a wash.

The Model 3 is similarly more efficient than its peers. Tesla has some good motor and inverter design. Aero between the companies is roughly comparable, and that Audi, for instance, doesn't use all their nominal pack capacity is irrelevant since this is in Wh/distance.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I may end my metformin experiment.

After 4 days x 500 mg of metformin ER I had lactic acid-type pain in my left quad as I bike commuted in, despite probably a 110 bpm average (with my personal anerobic threshold something like 160 bpm). I also just felt a bit weak in general.

Then again, most of this could be due to apathy, from me being the early attending on service, thus being on the bike in the cold, dark 6:15 AM environment. So I'll certainly pay attention to my overall strength and muscle soreness on my commute back home this afternoon.

A reference that suggests a plausible mechanism:

Metformin may work for Peter Attia, but perhaps not for my particular metabolic gestalt/mitochondria.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Note the "probably a 110 bpm average". I don't know exactly because my Apple Watch has decided to auto-delete my activities on Strava. Prior to yesterday I'd logged something over 100 activities on it, and after doing one out of cell range I'd go to History, pick it, then manually sync it again to the phone that'd then send it to the Strava cloud.

But yesterday it glitched and all of a sudden I had 0 activities in the history. Today I noticed it didn't auto-sync after I completed, even though I am clearly in civilization with cell service. I went to History, saw 1 logged and then as I watched it refreshed and went to 0!

My Watch doesn't want me to have any e-KOM glory (or to log my pedal powered commutes, apparently).

:(

Edit: reinstalled the watch app and relaunched the phone app and magically my two missing rides appeared on the Strava-webs! PR on Through the Trees but still behind Todd/Compressed.

Last edited: