Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
FTFY

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Short bed trucks are minivans for people whose egos are too fragile to buy minivans.
The Cybertruck is different, I’d argue. 6.5’, but moreover a spaceship!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
92F8DEEA-201C-499D-9657-EF705320D26C.jpeg

Progress continues.

In this yearly data visualization format it’s hard to tell dates within months, but after my 9 day carb challenge that I wrapped up on Nov 12 I was in the neighborhood of 232 +/- 2. Last measurement this morning was 220 and change.

Admittedly this is a bit artifactual, as at the end of these long fasts (85 hours for this latest) I’m about as glycogen depleted as is possible, and per Wikipedia 3-4 molecules of water follow each molecule of glycogen (so I’m effectively water-low despite being hydrated in the conventional sense). But it still shows what I can drop with basically maximum effort, of eating moderately low-carb and doing a series of extended fasts.

Again, my landmark is Dec 18, the date of labs, DEXA body composition and resting metabolic rate re-testing, and a visit with a new primary care doc (so an official height and weight to update my electronic medical record). From Dec 13-18 I’ll eat at least once a day (OMAD or 16:8 or so) so as to minimize lab anomalies in theory. Until Dec 13 I’ll continue hitting it hard, but via 24, 42, or 48 hour fasts, nothing over that threshold.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
C27E5198-0028-4302-A54C-99684189C4D0.jpeg

Mostly walked a 5k with the whole family. Pushed this little bundle and Yuna as well save for a short bit for the latter.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

My Tesla attempted to Smart Summon itself right into a wall tonight.

I had parked it close to the wall, as I intentionally left it in the covered garage at work due to our substantial snowstorm Monday night.

When I went to pick it up from said garage tonight I decided to Smart Summon it from a position about 150 feet ahead and to its right. When I hit the dead man’s button and set it in motion I saw it turn on its lights as usual, move forward very slightly, then crank the wheels hard right… towards the wall!

I immediately got off the dead man’s button and it stopped.

The photos are from where it stopped. Note the wheels hard to the right—it apparently wasn’t cognizant of the solid wall next to it! Similarly, when I hopped in it and drove it away it didn’t beep with the proximity sensors on the right side.

Full self driving may well be far out if it can’t integrate its sensor inputs to figure this simple situation out…

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

My Tesla attempted to Smart Summon itself right into a wall tonight.

I had parked it close to the wall, as I intentionally left it in the covered garage at work due to our substantial snowstorm Monday night.

When I went to pick it up from said garage tonight I decided to Smart Summon it from a position about 150 feet ahead and to its right. When I hit the dead man’s button and set it in motion I saw it turn on its lights as usual, move forward very slightly, then crank the wheels hard right… towards the wall!

I immediately got off the dead man’s button and it stopped.

The photos are from where it stopped. Note the wheels hard to the right—it apparently wasn’t cognizant of the solid wall next to it! Similarly, when I hopped in it and drove it away it didn’t beep with the proximity sensors on the right side.

Full self driving may well be far out if it can’t integrate its sensor inputs to figure this simple situation out…
Lidar would have picked that up, amirite?? :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
In-garage delivery (accomplished via sync between MyQ and Amazon Key) is really pretty cool. We have switched to picking it whenever it’s an option.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

(4x speed)

Bonus points to my filming wife for making it look for the first few seconds that I was rocking a man-bun like @Adventurous

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
It's important to ensure that one's tires don't contact the fenders. This car's builder clearly was aware of this truth.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Annoyingly my lipid experiments all might turn out to be a bust… because of me.

I live in Denver. I'm male. I eat meat. I exercise. All these contribute to me having a high hematocrit (48.6% Hct on my last real blood draw).

The problem is that having thick blood makes it travel poorly in the gauzy material in the Cholestech LDX cassettes. Said blood needs to travel through this material to get to the reaction pads for the reagents that actually comprise the tests.

Therefore the majority of the time I'm getting "Reaction did not occur" messages instead of actual results. I found a FAQ out there that described this same problem with Hcts in my range from an outfit in England using this machine.

That said, I did manage to log at least a few points, which show that a) immediate post-prandial triglyceride measurements should be ignored (the literature says 20-30% higher than fasting but my data say this could be much, much higher!); b) there's tremendous variability in triglycerides depending on length of fast, with a rise as one gets deep into ketosis on day 2.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Capture.PNG

Got some more data from poking my fingers a bunch with my Cholestech LDX.

11/12 triglyceride measurements from 17 through 28 hours fasted were below 100 mg/dL, which is where I want to see it.

2/2 values at 36 hours over 150, on the other hand! I thought this might be the analogue of dawn phenomenon for glucose (increase in pulsatile growth hormone) but my glucose was still normal at those times (79 and 89 mg/dL, respectively).

The other thing I found out by checking the same fingerstick with my wife's AccuChek Nano and the glucose part of the glucose + lipid panel Cholestech LDX cassettes is that the AccuChek reads consistently higher. Or the Cholestech lower, but I'd trust it more as it's had more validation studies, started out as a $2,000 machine, etc.

Anyway, the AccuChek Nano reads blood glucose 13 mg/dL higher median, or 17%. Range of being higher was from 6-29. It did not read lower at any time.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
@Toshi did you look at the stainless steel vs the titanium Apple Watch or were you just sold on the TI version?
I did, and stainless would have been probably functionally 99.9% equivalent. But I desired the Ti version.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I did, and stainless would have been probably functionally 99.9% equivalent. But I desired the Ti version.
Damn it I can't decide.

Kind of like the TI finish which combined with the better glass should make the it look nice for a long time but also allow me to use it without having to fuss about it.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Capture.PNG

Fleshed out a few more data points, sacrificing 40 microliters of blood at a time to the gods of science. Also threw glucose on there to boot--it doesn't go up at 36 hours although at least my triglycerides do.

Also note the two high (based off of my threshold of 100 mg/dL) triglyceride readings around 12 hours! Still seems safe from 17-24, with the times when I'm typically sleeping or at work sparse areas on the graph.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Ford patent applications reveal a very normal, sane, and conservative approach to electrifying body on frame vehicles.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I knew that was coming. You of all people should love it! The practicality of a Wrangler with no Dana axle business to deal with!

In related kill it with fire news, Tesla initially said that the RWD Cybertruck was coming “late 2021” and the dual and tri-motor variants in “late 2022.”

Now they have swapped their timeline, with the current predictions as:
  • Single Motor RWD: “Fully refundable. You will be able to complete your configuration as production nears in late 2021. Single Motor RWD production is expected to begin in late 2022.”
  • Dual Motor AWD: “Fully refundable. You will be able to complete your configuration as production nears in late 2021. Dual Motor AWD production is expected in late 2021.”
  • Tri Motor AWD: “Fully refundable. You will be able to complete your configuration as production nears in late 2021. Tri Motor AWD production is expected in late 2021.”
So I could be rolling around in my own tri-motor spaceship two years from now!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Ski reviews are so full of smoke blown up their patrons' asses. Everything is great at everything now!

/me needs to actually demo skis