Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
The "loaner" vehicle I received while the Mazda is in the shop is a new Jeep Compass. While a nice enough car, it's a perfect Avatar for everything wrong with FCA era jeep products. The perfect Jeep for the mall crawling, suburbanite household, desperate to not be seen as such. Bland driving, anemic acceleration, mediocre fuel economy and less than impressive/useful cargo area. Should have asked if they had a mini-van.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

2 speed transmission, but one motor not hooked up to it? I'm not sure if the Electrek writer just got that wrong.

260 kW sustained power. 200-300 kWh of battery for "75-175 mile routes". 150 kW presumably CCS fast charging, 11 or 43 kW AC charging, the latter on 480V three phase.

24,500 weight for the tractor alone, 8k more than diesel. Apparently electric trucks can run 82k GVW so 6k lower effective load, although if these are non-sleepers given the short range that might not matter.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I think tomorrow may be the day when I finally get out to Tucker Mountain and that new Three Bears lift, as the timing of snow and my presence seems to be good. Or it may be the day when I sit inside and drink something hot, because I can’t see anything and it’s 10 degrees.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Capture.PNG

23andme confirms that I am indeed half-Japanese! But where did that Korean bit sneak in? My cousin got nigh-identical results as well, but then again a Korean friend says her brother's 23andme said he was 1.5% or so Japanese so perhaps just noise in their Asian-categorizing algorithms.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
of academic interest:

E-tron goes 2.43 mi/kWh unladen. While towing a 4,000 lb covered car trailer (with a GM EV1!) it got 1.3 mi/kWh.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The "loaner" vehicle I received while the Mazda is in the shop is a new Jeep Compass. While a nice enough car, it's a perfect Avatar for everything wrong with FCA era jeep products. The perfect Jeep for the mall crawling, suburbanite household, desperate to not be seen as such. Bland driving, anemic acceleration, mediocre fuel economy and less than impressive/useful cargo area. Should have asked if they had a mini-van.

FCA has perfected the science of perfecting. "just good enough"

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
For @dan-o 's future purchasing decisions in case he decides to go full dually/diesel idiocy:

CN: F-350 diesel dually will do 7.8 seconds 0-60 at Denver's elevation, whereas the GMC can only do 8.8.
Saw that.
New 7.3 also smokes the gm 6.6.

Barring suitable electric/hybrid option, my eyes are on a 7.3 in next 3-4 years (once current truck hits 200k).
People are getting 600hp with minor mods on those already.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm getting the itch for something wider once more. Like that K2 Mindbender 108Ti that I posted about before. Mmmm

And the good news is that Epic Mountain Gear has 'em as rentals! So I will try to line up a pair for one or both my upcoming ski days, which would be Sunday and then Monday.

Powder7 has a demo set but new and unmounted is the same price and I have those Look bindings in my garage from the unloved Moment Bibbys...

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
That Mindbender is getting rave review, but the 99ti moreso than the 108ti.

If I were you knowing your daily driver is a Mantra, I'd go 115ish and slightly softer then another metal laminate ski.

Groomer ski+ storm ski. Boom.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

If I were you knowing your daily driver is a Mantra, I'd go 115ish and slightly softer then another metal laminate ski.

Groomer ski+ storm ski. Boom.
That was my thought with the Bibby. But while girthy they were far too soft. (That’s what she said.)

but this is why I’m demoing. Got to see how it feels for myself since I’m apparently picky.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Interesting:

Sounds a lot like my impression of my current Mantras, except with more float in powder! The problem with the Blister reviews is that they are all light guys who ski a ton of powder.

I also think that the 177 cm length of the new Mantra 102 sounds right up my alley (from my 177 cm Mantras):

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
TurboTax finally made available the small business deduction form I was waiting for. With that I went from ~$3k combined Fed/CO refund to being net -$70 between the two. At least my withholding was pretty spot on for the amount of 529 contributions I did last year (1/3 of a normal year), I guess.

Hmph.

Plus this:

Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 9.57.40 AM.png

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Purdy

Attn @Nick even though it's not a 997. Dat plaid interior might also interest @Westy

The sad thing is that with 3x,000 miles on it it'll continue to be a garage queen for the rest of its pristine life.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Purdy

Attn @Nick even though it's not a 997. Dat plaid interior might also interest @Westy

The sad thing is that with 3x,000 miles on it it'll continue to be a garage queen for the rest of its pristine life.
:drool:

a 993 RUF Turbo? I bet it's $300k+

now THIS is what all the cool radiologists are cruisin' around in ... pull the trigger, tell your wife later.

911 touring.jpg

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Ah, I didn't even catch that. I saw the RUF wheels and the wings but thought it was a replica. Instead it was pumped up by Hans, I see.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Watching in chronological order

Made it through about 17/113 Jedi Crash.
Honestly the first two seasons aren't the best. Season 3 was when it started getting good. By the time season 4 came out they were at minimum 2 episode story arcs, mostly 3. There are a few 4 episode story arcs.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Mini ski review after one day demoing the 179 cm K2 Mindbender 108Ti.

Pros:

- nice floatation
- can carve a nice, long radius turn on harder snow
- easy enough to break away from the edges in moguls or trees

Cons:

- feel a bit long in tight trees, especially in what’s in front of my boot
- shovels flap about a bit when pounding through crud (i.e. off Chair 8 in Loveland)
- relationship between edge angle and carving doesn’t seem as linear as on my Volkls (177 cm 2015-era fully rockered Mantra, 100 mm underfoot)—the Volkls have a larger nominal radius yet the K2s just want to carve lazy 30 m turns if left to their own devices
- I get the general feeling I’m skiing on top of these skis, if that makes any sense

As long as kid 2 doesn’t get sicker than she currently is overnight then I’ll get out to Copper tomorrow to put another few hours on these K2s, but barring changes in my impression of them I do not think I’ll be buying them.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Having started work-life at a japanese keiretsu, then switched to a big fast-paced all-or-nothing emerging-market corporation, to a european mammoth (Daimler), and now to a family owned biz....

I´d say, long term you cant beat japanese business philosophy.
Respect for people, principles and teamwork go a long way. The hiring process is 5th derivative level vs the primitive elemental function style of the rest of the world. Its simplicity and humbleness are profoundly genius.

I try to integrate it to my business style/vision, plus musk´s "no assholes" principle. Thing is, "long term" is a hard sell to western boards.

Last edited: