Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Tesla is supposedly hiking the price of the (still-promissory) Full Self Driving package by another $1k come July 1. I might idly list the Tesla for sale on a Tesla forum or the like then, when its replacement price increases, if you will. Seems like a good time to tighten financial belts if feasible.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Tesla is supposedly hiking the price of the (still-promissory) Full Self Driving package by another $1k come July 1. I might idly list the Tesla for sale on a Tesla forum or the like then, when its replacement price increases, if you will. Seems like a good time to tighten financial belts if feasible.
So if Tesla indeed raises the FSD price by $1k, then to replicate my car (3 LR AWD, gray, Aero, black interior, Acceleration Upgrade, FSD) would be $58,990 + TTL.

With that in mind as a ballpark for price comparisons new vs used, if I sold it on 8/1/20 for $45k then it'd have cost me $606/month, including the tax on its original cost + the Acceleration Upgrade and accounting for the original tax credits. If it gets $49k then it'd have cost me $395/month by the same math. Selling on 5/1/20 for $45k would be $719/mo.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Listed idly:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
We are down to 12 rolls of Charmin Ultra Soft left. After that I’d have to use the wife’s stock of bamboo and other hippie shit alternative toilet papers. Unacceptable.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
We are down to 12 rolls of Charmin Ultra Soft left. After that I’d have to use the wife’s stock of bamboo and other hippie shit alternative toilet papers. Unacceptable.
In a household with all women that will last you until tomorrow afternoon. Good luck my friend.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
In a household with all women that will last you until tomorrow afternoon. Good luck my friend.
The Toto Washlet really limits the amount of toilet paper one uses. We'll be fine for another couple of weeks, and Costco.com should restock by then.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

I would like this beast for the zombie apocalypse.

Too soon?
if i lived in colorado/wyoming/montana/idaho....i would make a camper out of this...

haul a moto on the back...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

If only they can make that airtight partition soundproof as well…

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I’m out washing the Land Cruiser. It hadn’t moved a foot since I last went mountain biking on March 18. (It lives on a Battery Tender Jr.)

Wife’s minivan hasn’t moved since picking up the kids from school the last time on March 12. Due to the whole PHEV bit I don’t worry about it sitting. I plugged it into the level 2 EVSE today and it was still at 100% on the traction battery.

This is one weird year.

I think I’m going to drive the minivan for a few days going forward. Easier with that medium h-point to get into and out of with my now 13 day old but still painful chest wall injury (incurred while on my commuter bike riding around the ‘hood with my family).

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
This is one weird year.
It's looking like the rest of the year will look weird as well (if not longer yet). So in light of this I'm going to start emerging into society a bit more, at a sustainable level. To wit:

- will get the various vehicles' snow tires swapped out over the next few days, while wearing a surgical mask
- will resume mountain biking once my still-a-bit-sore flank allows for that, but not via the crowded local trailheads if possible (don't think mask is feasible during this)
- I'll even head back to the movie theater once AMC reopens, with ample social distancing and the mask

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The kids have been biking a lot during the past few weeks at home. The baby sits in her 5 point harness in the Taga trike’s box, the 7 year old rides her bike, and the now-5 year old alternates between Taga time (or, yesterday, on the Mac Ride seat) or on her bike.

The 5 year old is at that awkward time with regard to bike choice. She fits fine on her 16” wheeled bike but it’s a single speed. She ends up pedaling at a crazy cadence to keep up with her sister.

Meanwhile the 7 year old has a 20” wheeled bike with a rear derailleur but she doesn’t have enough hand strength to use the trigger shifters.

In an ideal world:

5 year old would have a 20” wheeled, geared bike with a very low stand over and minimum seat height (she’s close but not quite to fitting on the current 20”). Both her and the 7 year old would have Di2 shifting setups.

Perhaps I should stimulate the economy and get the LBS to put Di2 on the current 20”… hmm

Edit: inquired at a local shop

Hi [shop owner],

I'm another Stapleton resident. I have a bit of a weird question:

Could you set up one of my kids' bikes with Di2?

Long version: Eldest kid has an Early Rider Trail 20" bike.

https://us.earlyrider.com/products/trail-20

It has a SRAM 1 x 9 speed setup with a normal-spacing cassette (SRAM PG970 11-34T), and a 9 speed SRAM X5 trigger shifter that she doesn't have the hand strength to use reliably.

So my impression is that it could be set up with, say, Shimano XT Di2 via a new rear shifter, display unit thing, system battery, rear derailleur, 11 speed XT chain, and (11 speed) cassette.

Would you be able to do such a thing? I have Di2 on one of my bikes and think the easier action of it would be just the ticket to get her shifting on her own. Thanks!

-Toshi

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Stick a 9 speed grip shifter on there. I'd have given you one but I think they all went to @MikeD

A lot less painful then if she drops her bike on the drivetrain side.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Not sure she has strength for that, either. She’s maybe 45 lbs at 47”.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
The 9 speed X.0's I used to run weren't hard to rotate, nor are the 11 speed X.0 or GX versions I currently have on my non-DH MTB's.

Not easy to find in a local bike shop for you to test though.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I think I’m going to drive the minivan for a few days going forward. Easier with that medium h-point to get into and out of with my now 13 day old but still painful chest wall injury (incurred while on my commuter bike riding around the ‘hood with my family).
Driving the minivan around has been quite nice. Drove 28 miles round trip to the Japanese bakery today in it, arriving home with 2 miles of electric still left. Its higher h-point has been nice during my convalescence from my stupid chest wall injury.

:notbadobama:

Meanwhile the Tesla got a software update pushed to it tonight. I'll drive it on Wednesday, to get its snow tires finally taken off. (Land Cruiser gets its bro-tastic AT KO2 wheelset put back on on Tuesday, and minivan got done yesterday.)

Said software update should bring it Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control: https://electrek.co/2020/04/24/tesla-autopilot-traffic-light-and-stop-sign-control-feature/

This appears to be a semi-janky feature: will stop automatically at every stop sign and traffic light that it recognizes, irrespective of whether it's green or red, unless one positively affirms to go through it by using the right multi-function stalk (as used for confirming suggested lane changes).

Will this be useful at all? Almost certainly not. But it does represent the first feature (other than visualization of traffic cones/trash bins) released for cars with the Full Self Driving package that is not part of Enhanced Autopilot's feature set.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
This is the designated car thread, correct?

Got this 10 days ago and am fairly pleased so far. I wouldn't mind a bit more battery capacity, but I can manage my one way commute of 22 miles solely on electricity if I restrict myself to not going over 130kph on the Autobahn and I can charge at work. Overall, charging infrastructure over here is still a joke and as I live in an apartment in a city of 1 mil+, I have to get lucky to use one of the public (and still free) charging stations close to home. So far I've driven 500km and the needle on the fuel gauge for the 50l tank has not moved yet. The car is telling me I've used 1.6l/100km, but I'll do my own calculation when I eventually empty the tank. Road manners are certainly heck of a lot better than on the Tiguan it replaced.

passat3.png

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
That charge port access looks primed for passing assholes to be assholes if you were charging in public.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
That charge port access looks primed for passing assholes to be assholes if you were charging in public.
This is far from any public access, but it’s just a wall socket interim solution anyway. When I get my parking spot back it’ll have a proper charge port with authentication.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
This is far from any public access, but it’s just a wall socket interim solution anyway. When I get my parking spot back it’ll have a proper charge port with authentication.
I meant the flap swinging out like that.