Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
WaPo: Homeowners stopped paying mortgages in record numbers in April

Some 3.6 million Americans are now past due on their home payments, the most since 2015

The national delinquency rate soared to 6.45 percent in April, up from 3.06 percent in March and three times the previous single-month record set in 2008, according to data released this week by Black Knight, a real estate data and analytics company. The 3.6 million borrowers who are past due are the most since 2015.

The data represents homeowners who didn’t make a mortgage payment in April, including those who are in forbearance plans.

Black Knight found that 4.75 million homeowners, or 9 percent of mortgages, had entered into forbearance plans, representing $1 trillion in unpaid principal balances. MBA’s survey of lenders found 4.1 million homeowners had requested a forbearance plan, or 8.16 percent of loans. By comparison, less than 1 percent of loans were in forbearance in early March.

As of May 19, only 21 percent of those in forbearance plans have made a May payment.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm going to set up a test ride of the Yuba Electric Supermarché as above at a local shop in the next week or two to see exactly how weird bakfiet handling is. I still wouldn't actually need something like this until August (in as much as I need it at all), of course.
yuba-supermarche-bosch-electric-front-loader-cargo.jpg

I test rode a Yuba Supermarché Bosch today, at SloHi Cycles. Quite a nice shop and nice people, for the record. 100% mask use all around.

I am not entirely sold on it at this point.

Handling actually was the least weird part about it. The cable driven steering setup is pretty intuitive after about 10 feet. I was about 1/10 for trackstanding it but I bet I could get that with a little practice. The cargo box was unladen as I went by myself, but I think my wife would do fine with loading the kids in on the centerstand and then getting started.

What I didn't like:

- upright ergonomics, with about as many stem spacers and the stem angle as on the PR photo above
- this one had the canopy on the front box, and that caught the wind and was generally annoying. Definitely would not opt for this
- drivetrain noise, not so much from the Bosch motor but from the tensioner. Apparently my demo bike (used one) was previously dropped on its right and was in the shop for exactly this noise, but it was annoying.
- Bosch chintzy feeling mode selection lever and its drivetrain calibration. It just felt sluggish in every mode compared to my (admittedly much lighter) Pivot Shuttle and its Shimano E8000 setup, and this was exacerbated by a lot of perceived slack before anything meaningful happened (freewheels both at rear hub and on the motor's output gear).

Based off of this impression I'm going to play the slow game. First we'll see if Denver Public Schools is indeed going to have regular in-person classes come August. If this transpires then I'll drag the wife and kids out to SloHi in July and see how she feels about the thing in reality, with two kids loaded up in it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I just emailed SloHi to see if they have a Bullitt with Shimano Steps E8000 built up. That’s the same system I like greatly on my Pivot Shuttle. The Bosch in the Yuba just felt unresponsive.

A Bullitt would not be suitable for my wife to use with the high top tube. At that point I should similarly find a Surly Big Easy to demo if considering more normal geometry kid haulers that would only fit me.

(And then there’s the question of whether a $1,500 plus accessories Rad Power one with mere cadence sensing would be that much inferior...)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

$2,900, 102 lbs, 1,000 W, 30 mph.

I don’t get this at all. It’s a crappy motorcycle. It’s a crappy bicycle due to gearing and ergonomics. Pick one or the other, IMO.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I just emailed SloHi to see if they have a Bullitt with Shimano Steps E8000 built up. That’s the same system I like greatly on my Pivot Shuttle. The Bosch in the Yuba just felt unresponsive.

A Bullitt would not be suitable for my wife to use with the high top tube. At that point I should similarly find a Surly Big Easy to demo if considering more normal geometry kid haulers that would only fit me.

(And then there’s the question of whether a $1,500 plus accessories Rad Power one with mere cadence sensing would be that much inferior...)

Flexy IIRC. But they did come in root beer.

p2pb5451025.jpg

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
why would you want an 11 foot long ebike?
Cart things 1 and 2 to their new school, which is about 3/4 of the way to work and basically on the preferred route that I’d otherwise take.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
honest question here, wouldn't they prefer riding their own bikes with Dad as chaperone?
7 year old could handle it, perhaps not every day. 5 year old wouldn't. 5.2 miles with ~200 ft elevation gain, plus she's slow as she's sized for a 16" wheeled bike thus single speed.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
7 year old could handle it, perhaps not every day. 5 year old wouldn't. 5.2 miles with ~200 ft elevation gain, plus she's slow as she's sized for a 16" wheeled bike thus single speed.
Couldn't you get one of those trail along bike things that hang off the back of your bike?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Couldn't you get one of those trail along bike things that hang off the back of your bike?
Yeah, if just to cart one kid then the problem is much simpler.

Also need to consider that my wife would be the one picking them up, with a then 1.75-year-old to wrangle. Having the 7 year old unlock a bike and toss it in the back of the minivan would probably be manageable.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
(Ultimately I probably should just drive them in my car, and then hop on the Peloton at home. :D)

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
This one even has a Lizzard[sic] King colorway:

These are super nice with really nice build quality. I have several friends who has them just in non ebike version as Copenhagen is flat.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
EB9DDD08-83D3-4808-8184-48F4A624298E.jpeg

preschool graduation indeed. Yuna liked it and gave a little speech that she prepared (on the bookface).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

This probably was $700k in January. How much farther will the mountain market fall now that there’s no short term rental market to speak of?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

20 min x effort of 9 cyclists (1.2 kW between them) == 2 km range added to the Model X.

Similar math can be done regarding claims of solar panels on cars adding meaningful range.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah, if just to cart one kid then the problem is much simpler.

Also need to consider that my wife would be the one picking them up, with a then 1.75-year-old to wrangle. Having the 7 year old unlock a bike and toss it in the back of the minivan would probably be manageable.
If you decide to go the cheap (non-ewagon route) we're no longer in need of this Adams (folding) trail behind:

resize.jpg

IMG_20200526_162335821_HDR.jpg

$50 + shipping (or I can deliver in October/November if/when my annual not ready for winter trip to 303 happens...)

To include an extra seat post attachment (total of 2) and the the padded seat-back (and waist strap) which was a plus when our guy was very little and antsy...

It is not 'fancy' and would likely benefit from new chain/tire but was working fine when we stopped using it.

I assume you're set for the littlest one, but we also have one of these Chariot Sidecars, which I liked using when my daughter was tiny as she was right next to you on the bike (not behind...)

1590532638443.png

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Thanks, Alfie. Who knows what I'll impulsively do ultimately! :D

For the littlest one her setup in the Taga trike is pretty good already.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

This one even has a Lizzard[sic] King colorway:

SloHi turns out to not stock the Bullitt due to being of limited general interest, and I'm not going to order one sight unseen because I'd probably not be enamored of it anyway.

So for the moment I'm left with Saturday's upcoming test ride of a Surly Big Easy and, if I don't love it, me preordering the Rad Power Bikes RadWagon 4 (for $1500! and with a 14 day/10 mile free-return-shipping trial policy but only cadence sensing/throttle) afterwards.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

Germans be crazy. Preis: 10.440 Euro
Not really that bad, considering they have universal healthcare, a reasonable public pension scheme, and a quality social safety-net. I mean - if you've got all that, what else you gonna spend your €'s on??

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Not really that bad, considering they have universal healthcare, a reasonable public pension scheme, and a quality social safety-net. I mean - if you've got all that, what else you gonna spend your €'s on??
Have I mentioned recently that the top marginal income tax rate in New Zealand is only 33%?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Who knows what I'll impulsively do ultimately!
for the moment I'm left with Saturday's upcoming test ride of a Surly Big Easy and, if I don't love it, me preordering the Rad Power Bikes RadWagon 4 (for $1500! and with a 14 day/10 mile free-return-shipping trial policy but only cadence sensing/throttle) afterwards.

Capture.PNG

Pulled the trigger and preordered a RadWagon 4.

Note $200 discount for being in medicine! (And again recall that they have a 14-days-from-receipt-planned-in-September/10 mile/free return shipping trial offer that I will 100% use if I don't like the long, funny looking beast.)

((The discount code was a one-time use jobber, so that it's out in the open is of no concern.))

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I remain negative for COVID antibodies, in case you all were wondering. (Drawn today and resulted in about 3 hours--in-house assay.)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
BC company has a battery powered puddle jumper, too.

My parents lived in Moses Lake for a few years, btw. Long runways there, used for 747 pilot training. Also cheap hydro power, which BMW uses for carbon fiber fabrication for their i3 and i8, interesting designs left to rot on the vine.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

AWD. 302 hp. 39 miles electric range. 40 MPG after that. 5.8 seconds 0-60.

Very nice, very nice. Next do the Sienna up in a similar manner, Toyota!
good power, real range, AWD, Toyota motor and drivetrain quality ... what's the objection again?

I mean, too small for my liking but they WILL sell every single one of those things.
"I just spent $55,000 on a RAV 4. But it has 300 horsepower. And I financed it for 8 years, so it's only costing me $750 a month!"

:D
Their Prius Prime pricing is pretty reasonable, so I'd expect the RAV4 Hybrid Prime pricing to follow.

$38.1k plus destination to start. Pretty nicely equipped at that price, with heated seats, full speed range adaptive cruise, etc.

Recall this is minus local incentives, minus $7.5k Federal, and minus $4k CO through the end of this year (then dropping to $2.5k iirc).

Not bad at all for AWD, 42 miles electric, and good efficiency beyond that!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Surly Big Easy

Two kids. Pretty long. 20 mph limit from the Bosch, derailleurs. $5k and probably super durable: 300 lbs max for rider, 200 for cargo, 400 max between the two.
4A5B0219-406C-4703-BF5D-6FF7A648F2DF.jpeg

So I test rode a Surly Big Easy today and kind of loved it. It was the tan older model from the quoted post, which is relevant because said older model didn’t have the dropper post that the new, green model has. Otherwise nigh-identical afaik.

Specifics:

Medium size felt pretty good, certainly not too big. I don’t think that my wife would be comfortable riding this regularly so I should size it for myself. I’ll have to pore over reach and standover stats a bit.

Handling felt very intuitive. I liked it much better than the feeling of the bakfiet-style Yuba Supermarché, especially at low speeds. In fact, it felt just like a normal bike, at least until I tried to pick up the rear of it when returning it to the shop from which I demoed it. (It’s a heavy beast!)

The Bosch Performance CX motor felt much better in this application than on the Yuba. Part of this was due to E-mtb mode being enabled, a mode more akin to Trail on my Shimano system. This is a more dynamic level of assist and felt more responsive than the Normal, Sport, or Turbo modes on the Yuba (also available on this). With E-mtb it nicely took the bulk away and made for comfortable 18-19 mph cruising.

Will I like it 3.5x as much as the RadWagon 4, with the latter’s inferior cadence sensing setup and cheap-ass components? I’m not sure: all will hinge on the denominator, how much I like the RadWagon. If I don’t like the RadWagon and end up returning it then I’ll spring for a Surly Big Easy (with a dropper!) come September.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Why would you possibly need a dropper on such a bike? For the really steep shit?
For putting a foot flat on the ground while in the saddle at stop signs, while the back is laden with two kids. Necessary? No, certainly not, but it’d be nice given the inherent awkwardness of cargo bikes.