Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
6B8E159B-A041-4D8F-B39E-3C8AB2958911.jpeg

Aya moved her tiny chair next to me as I was sunning my belly this afternoon.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Rental review:

Built 2006. Feels beat. Weird layout: tiny 1 car garage with irregular shape, "theater room" is janky conversion of utility room. OG appliances. NG forced air + electric (I imagine--guess it could be NG hydro) radiant heat.

Sold in 2020 after being listed in 2019: listed at $820k, sold at $780.5k. $400/mo HOA. Decent location close to town but still a drive-in-to-WP proposition.

Verdict: Not going to be going for something like this, that's for sure! Value isn't there especially with HOA fee and it just feels old and frayed: the deck surface, every contact point, etc. Good to add to the internal list of comparisons, at least.
The finishing is super cheap for a house of that price. The interior architecture is kinda horrible too.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Agreed on finishes, dump. This was probably a $300k? place when it was built in 1996, and hasn't been updated.

But it has 4 bathrooms. I assume for the family that is prone to food poisoning.
A lot of these rental-designed places have all master suites so as to be suitable for multi-family ski bashes. This one was especially weird in that the main, upstairs master suite's bathroom had no separate toilet room. Better so as to be able to have a conversation with one's spouse while taking a dump, I suppose?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
and you could sled up the north aspect of the ski hill, brief hike and ski in-bounds and exit from the top at the end of your day.
que?

Capture.PNG

There was a nice local trail network abutting this development, but looked quite up and down.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I have convinced a riding buddy to get an e-bike. He borrowed a friend’s Commencal for two rides, then borrowed my Shuttle while I was at Winter Park. Now he’s sold: 29” and same Shimano E8000 system as me, likely via Commencal.

:rockout:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I still work. But I can either be a bit faster than normal and try to stick to zone 2 efforts (better for my mitochondria to get lots of zone 2 hours!) or go faster/farther.

Fun:grind ratio is simply better. I like it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have convinced a riding buddy to get an e-bike. He borrowed a friend’s Commencal for two rides, then borrowed my Shuttle while I was at Winter Park. Now he’s sold: 29” and same Shimano E8000 system as me, likely via Commencal.

:rockout:
Did you also get him to fast intermittently?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Did you also get him to fast intermittently?
Actually yes. He is Indian and was normal weight but with a round belly, maybe 165 lbs. Now he’s 140 lbs and feeling good.

Indian and Southeast Asian people go right from slightly fat with round belly to type 2 diabetes so this was a good thing for him.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Actually yes. He is Indian and was normal weight but with a round belly, maybe 165 lbs. Now he’s 140 lbs and feeling good.

Indian and Southeast Asian people go right from slightly fat with round belly to type 2 diabetes so this was a good thing for him.
Someone needs to sell him on a GG

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
lfoeR.jpg

I should cart the kids to school in one of these.

Oh wait, the kids are 100% virtual this year. Next year

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm pretty sure I've posted this here before, but here goes tonight's time waster now that I've put in my requisite time on the rower and the Peloton:

National Park vehicle length restrictions, with the idea of what's the best layout setup I could thought-masturbate about for a theoretical world say 5 years out:

Lots to parse in that. Let's concentrate on somewhat local states that we might actually visit on a sweep.

CO: 35', 35', 36', 40' combined length restrictions.
WY: 45', 50', no worries there.
MT: 40', 50'.
UT: 50', 71', 100', 100' (!) wow.
CA: 35', 40', 45', 95' (!) combined, with two trailer-only restrictions of 31' and 35'.
So they're all over the map. 35' combined will get in anywhere that isn't no cars or cars only, so let that be our benchmark. I figure that will exclude all but the shortest fifth wheels if the tow rig is a crew cab long bed dually. Time to figure out how to calculate combined length for such beasts.

This forum post is helpful. Per post #4 a nominally 37' 10" fifth wheel is 39' 11" from kingpin to back, and when towed by a presumably long bed F-350 it's 53' 6" overall. So working back from this, to hit 35' overall for CO parks we'd need to axe 28' 6" from the trailer, making it a nominally 9' 4" length trailer. Yeah, I don't think that's going to be feasible.

Bumper pull would be even worse in this regard.

So Class C or A it is then. 35' or less, good family layout with bunks ideally not right by the adult bed, king bed (!). I like this tool to browse floorplans for time wasting like this.

With this arbitrary set of requirements, in particular the king bed and permanent bunks (as opposed to converting a sofa and a dinette every day), it actually looks like only 2 floorplans work, both Class A. They're basically just mirror images of each other.

Thor A.C.E. 32.3

33' 5", 12' 2" high so Zion compatible (irrelevant with their shuttle anyway). Seatbelts for 6.

F-53 chassis, 7.3 liter V8 but 6 speed as opposed to the 10 on the pickups these days. 8,000 hitch weight rating but only 5,000 overhead from GVWR to GCWR so would be a matter of not loading up fully if with a toad.

Forest River FR3 32DS

33' 11" and 12' 5" so right under the limits. 8 seatbelts.

F-53 but they haven't updated their specs from the old 6.8 liter V-10 to the 7.3 liter V-8. Interestingly on the 228" wheelbase whereas the similar overall length Thor is on the 208" wheelbase. 5,500 headroom between GVWR and GCWR but only a 5,000 lb hitch.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Kinda funny how they all have multiple tvs. On the exterior even. :confused:
That's what these fucking things are for. Not for "escaping" civilization, but by simply dragging all of civilization *with* you to somewhere sort of remote ('cause you can't get these abominations anywhere *actually* remote) and then irritating actual campers with the fucking generator, 'cause you can't miss "Dancing With the Stars."

:disgust:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
In my fantasy scenario I envision multi week sweeps through national parks. Enough solar and battery to not run the generator ever when no hookups (as in said parks).