Quantcast

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So, I am leaning more towards an eventual conversion van instead of a new pickup, but this idea from Ford is fairly interesting if you have to drive long distances.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
@stoney I got Mariko signed up for Sat AM All-Mountain Development. Wife wasn't on-board until we found out it doesn't span lunch! which is prudent.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
@stoney I got Mariko signed up for Sat AM All-Mountain Development. Wife wasn't on-board until we found out it doesn't span lunch! which is prudent.
Wifey was way more on-board when she heard half-day, mostly because it means less time tied up if we need a half-day. Haley's also stoked we get to ski more. There's a chance that they might get put together, but given she's 8, a returner, and was "lead of class" last year, they'll probably drop her into the advanced group for her age. Usually they break out into four groups of 7-8, with 2 being returners, 2 new kids. Then after the first day or two will shuffle them around to get into the right group. If Mariko is a little ripper already, I'd get her to Snobahn to get some turns in, in advance, so she's fresh when she gets on hill.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My PennyMac refi marches on.

For the record: Conventional, at the conforming limit, refinance of a primary residence SFH. 2.125% fixed x 15 years.

$1,885 estimated net closing costs (0 points and a small lender credit) + the prepaids to close, although I'll get back the escrow funds from the prior lender so that's a wash.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That'll be nice! Then you can buy a mountain house and be my neighbor eh

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Ok, maybe I also want a truck...

is link to a specific post from last page re F-150s

In particular, note 1,810 lbs payload for the hybrid. In the testing video they had that big box trailer at over 12k lbs per them. 200 lbs of a solo driver and test gear and that leaves max of 13% tongue weight… a fine line to walk indeed.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
What bed do you have? 6.5’?
Former - and it's actually not large enough to go camping in Moab for a week with 5 people, 5 bikes, and all associated camping shit. We had to borrow a 4-bike hitch rack.
If you want some real load capacity what you need is this here 6 wheel Corolla

It is just around the corner and for sale. I can get the phone number if you are interested. I am going to assume it is 5th wheel capable.
Deep thought of the day: apart from S.S.'s corner case of the trip to Moab, which was solved by the use of a hitch rack, why not get a 5.5' bed on a half ton pickup?

After all, there's no realistic 5th wheel use case for them due to non-8' bed clearance when cornering, lack of payload for pin weight, and that the "1/2 ton compatible" 5th wheels are all dangerously close if not over the 5th wheel towing rating for an F-150 anyway…

I guess there's the argument for extra wheelbase for bumper pull towing:

SuperCrew 5.5' bed has a 145.4" wheelbase so via the old formula that'd allow for 20' + 35.4" / 4" * 1' == 29' trailer.
SuperCrew 6.5' bed has a 157.2" wheelbase, and via that same formula thus a 32' trailer.

Given the max payloads of all but the 5.0 and 3.5 EcoBoost variants per the linked post one up from here it seems like that'd be the limiting factor.

Cliffs Notes: In as much as half ton pickups make sense in their niche, the shortish bed one seems sane enough.

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
My XC60 is permanently dirty inside with all the garden work I do and mtb hauling. I really need a pick up but the commies here in Denmark do not like them and they are taxed like crazy.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
4D3DE381-D730-4D8E-82C1-3AB992E3E7A4.jpeg
70CD3A0D-F0B5-469B-B2A5-BFAD7A98C165.jpeg

Mariko finally completed the Mount Carbon Loop at Bear Creek Lake Park. Yuna had no issues being astride the Mac Ride, of course.

By next spring Mariko will be on a 24” and Yuna will be on the geared 20”, riding herself.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Real estate watch:

Just sold. Check the price history! Bizarre. 2012 sale reflective of post-crash lull in the market? Either way from 2008 to 2020 in non-inflation-adjusted dollars there was a $3k loss.

Capture.PNG

Oh, and the HOA fee for this rather small (but on-mountain) 2 bedroom: $1,020 per month.

:nononocat.gif:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So I am a volunteer in the Moderna trial. And I'm a regular blood donor: 4 times in the COVID era, to be precise. For all but the first mid-March donation Vitalant, the blood bank I use, automatically screens for and reports COVID antibody status.

Put those together and my donation from Wednesday, day 29 as a participant in the Moderna trial, should have shown COVID antibodies had I been enrolled in the study drug arm (vs placebo). I make this assessment based off of the day 15 data reported in Figure 2 from their published Phase 1 trial data.

Alas, I came up negative. This is strong evidence that I was randomized to the placebo arm of the trial.

Oh well, still helping science, only as a negative control. And in that case it's good that I still haven't seroconverted--what I'm doing is sustainable and is working.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Aussies know how to party in the wilderness.

I don't know how/if something like this would ever actually fit within the confines of my life, but check that suspension articulation! and it's pulled by a 200 series Land Cruiser!

BruderX EXP-6, this beast is. Ah, to dream.

Their site is perhaps the least useful design possible. I had to reverse GIS most of these images to get reasonable res versions, and that cutaway floorplan is a mess! But what I can glean from it:

- hardtop and pop-up top variants
- at least for the pop-up version there are two laterally oriented bunks up there! and two bunks along the right wall and the queen bed at the front. No king but that'd work.
- 6723 mm length, 2200 kg unladen, 3100 kg laden/aggregate trailer mass in Aussie-speak: that'd be 22', 4,850 lbs, 6,834 lbs in Imperial

So let's figure 6,800 lbs and thus a solid 1,000 lbs tongue weight when laden, and something like this would be running with full water tanks for boondocking, no?

Given this, is a 200 series a good choice? Per wheelbase one should stick to 21', but close enough there. Set up as a 7 seater there's 1,570 lbs payload capacity and an 8,100 lb nominal towing capacity.

Yeah, that's not a good idea: 570 lbs of remaining payload for 5 people + cargo. Payload always seems to be the limiting thing!

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
But Australians love this shit! No idea where one could go in CO such that it wasn't already staked out by a bro-dude in a 4Runner with a rooftop tent, though...
Payload/Tow ratings are different in Australia.

The Ford Ranger/Hilux are 1 ton (payload) trucks, and rated/allowed to tow 3500kg (braked) there.
Are you sure the LC200 is only 3500kg tow?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Payload/Tow ratings are different in Australia.

The Ford Ranger/Hilux are 1 ton (payload) trucks, and rated/allowed to tow 3500kg (braked) there.
Are you sure the LC200 is only 3500kg tow?

So actually rated a touch higher in the US!