Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I forgot to report this the other day, but when I was coming back from GGCSP last weekend (pre-snow! I bet Through the Trees is an ice rink, sadly) I came across a hapless road biker pushing his bike up Drew Hill Rd. He was about at the Welcome to/Leaving Your GGCSP sign, so not very far up. Roadie shoes with no tread, 23 mm tires, caliper brakes, very unhappy looking.

I offered him a ride and he accepted. I dropped him off on Crawford Gulch Rd where the pavement begins when heading back to town. Had windows down the whole way--minimal infection risk.

Apparently it was his first time riding up GGCR and he just looked at the map and thought the Drew Hill/Crawford Gulch part would be fun. He was a bit unprepared in many a way.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
as a physician I recommend you do not engage in hand vs table saw activities

@stoney since you didn't pony up for the auto stop one!

Capture.PNG

Edit: this was from tonight. I saw the real photos of the hand, too, in the EMR note. Pretty damn gruesome it is.

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

View attachment 152439
@Adventurous @AngryMetalsmith
I'm actually building a sled so that I can minimize my exposure to the blade and just bought two Grippers to reduce my exposure even more. If I don't like how this sled works, I'll end up selling the saw, buying a different one, then building a bench around it. I will likely end up using the table for small/mid-sized cuts and keep using my track for large cuts. If I get to the point that I need a large, fixed place table, I'll be getting a Saw-stop.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

View attachment 152439

Edit: this was from tonight. I saw the real photos of the hand, too, in the EMR note. Pretty damn gruesome it is.
Oh fuck. Thats kind of close to what my grandfather did a few years back. Blade height was too high, wrong type of blade was being used, and he just got careless. Earned him a lifeflight ride into Boston to get it put back together, but there's only so much they can do when you cut your hand in half.

I will only ever buy a SawStop. The consequences are just too great. The few times I've been forced to use a regular table saw I do so with reticence and push sticks/grippers galore.

@stoney, also check out power feeders. They can be adapted to most table saws and can help eliminate the need to get your hands close to the blade during cuts.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
For the record these newfangled post-Adidas Five-Tens are considerably smaller and narrower than 2016-era Freeriders.
Are they now? What was your before/after shoe size?

I'm looking at a new pair since I've worn some pin holes in the soles of my older Freeriders.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Oh fuck. Thats kind of close to what my grandfather did a few years back. Blade height was too high, wrong type of blade was being used, and he just got careless. Earned him a lifeflight ride into Boston to get it put back together, but there's only so much they can do when you cut your hand in half.

I will only ever buy a SawStop. The consequences are just too great. The few times I've been forced to use a regular table saw I do so with reticence and push sticks/grippers galore.

@stoney, also check out power feeders. They can be adapted to most table saws and can help eliminate the need to get your hands close to the blade during cuts.
I'm not going to say it scares me working with this table, but I'm not happy about it. I work with it like it wants to kill me.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Are they now? What was your before/after shoe size?

I'm looking at a new pair since I've worn some pin holes in the soles of my older Freeriders.
My sole is separating from the uppers.

Old ones were 10D. New ones were stupidly ordered without checking prior sizing as a 9.5 sans width specification, and don't fit at all. Back to Amazon they shall go posthaste

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

Old ones were 10D. New ones were stupidly ordered without checking prior sizing as a 9.5 sans width specification, and don't fit at all. Back to Amazon they shall go posthaste
REI has a 20% off coupon right now. Can pick up a set of the Trailcross LT for $112. Thinking I may go this route since I find the Freeriders to be a bit too compliant in stiffness department.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
0BDAE024-8AF6-44A3-B436-A45B2E809643.jpeg

Finally have ‘em: phantomed, mounted, new sole plates on boots. Ordered in February, just before COVID.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

This is a most excellent video on SawStop. Pretty awesome thing that is.

I remember the story in shop class in highschool from the teacher, about the kid the semester or two before cutting his fingers off on the table saw and having to retrieve them out of the dust collector.

As careful as we all want to be, accidents happen. Thats the scary part. Sticks and pushers for me, always...

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark

I ride flats and wish they would make flats with boa strap I like its easy to adjust but I guess flats riders are too old school cool for that.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
This is a most excellent video on SawStop. Pretty awesome thing that is.

I remember the story in shop class in highschool from the teacher, about the kid the semester or two before cutting his fingers off on the table saw and having to retrieve them out of the dust collector.

As careful as we all want to be, accidents happen. Thats the scary part. Sticks and pushers for me, always...
Forgot to link the video...derp

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
On the topic of electric-powered wheeled conveyances, I am renting (with option to purchase if I don't return it) a OneWheel Pint next week.

Elder kid is fairly obsessed with the concept of it and I've seen reports and videos of kids much smaller than her on them, 14 year min age per OneWheel notwithstanding. So she'll try it out as will I.

Such goofy things!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
On the topic of electric-powered wheeled conveyances, I am renting (with option to purchase if I don't return it) a OneWheel Pint next week.

Elder kid is fairly obsessed with the concept of it and I've seen reports and videos of kids much smaller than her on them, 14 year min age per OneWheel notwithstanding. So she'll try it out as will I.

Such goofy things!

1605824833977.png

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Such goofy things!

How fast does it go?

:popcorn:

I can't find the youtube link for easy viewing, but reminds me of this thing. You should try it out. :rofl::rofl:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
How fast does it go?

:popcorn:

I can't find the youtube link for easy viewing, but reminds me of this thing. You should try it out. :rofl::rofl:

I was waiting for that or a car stopped on the shoulder. :D

Original OneWheel (not made anymore): 13 mph x 4-6 miles

OneWheel Pint: 16 mph x 6-8 miles

OneWheel XR, the current full-size model, 19 mph x 12-18 miles

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Over the last 7.75 months I've spent $510 on gas, or about $66/mo. This is for roughly 500 miles/mo of driving, with the math checking out at $2.00/gal and 15 MPG average in the Land Cruiser. (We use a negligible amount of gas in the minivan given that it's a PHEV.) The Land Cruiser also depreciates at perhaps $150/mo these days.

Let's assume anything that would replace it would be newer and thus depreciate at $300-600/month, with the Tesla defining the high end of that range. Said newer vehicle would also cost perhaps $100/mo more to insure.

Given my fuel costs, how much fuel/energy savings would a new vehicle have to net per my 500 miles monthly to break even?

Current costs: $66/mo + $150/mo = $216/mo (+ baseline insurance costs).

Competitor vehicle costs: $300/mo + $100/mo + $X/mo == $216/mo at the low end, $600 + $100 + $Y == $216/mo at high end
==> X = -$184/mo, Y = -$384/mo

So per mile said vehicle would have to pay me 37 to 77 cents to break even with my current costs. Even "free"-from-oversized-PV-array electricity in a BEV is 37 cents short at the minimum…

(The astute reader would note that I could screw with the math if I got a vehicle that depreciates even slower, like a Tacoma. But I do not desire a Tacoma one whit.)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Capture.PNG

Almost done with the second week of my six week Power Zone Pack challenge. (They mandate you take the post-ride stretch, thus all that cruft in the Strava feed, my bros.)

Felt decent and kept my zones on this one, the variability because I was pushing 55-60 rpm for much of it. Averaged 180W.

In the "there's always someone stronger than you" vein, the dude with the highest output whose time overlapped with me pushed out nearly twice the kJ, so averaged 360W or just shy of that over the hour! Wow.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
that might be take a while.

a few months ago I had a serious business conversation about this very same topic with some big cheeses in Stuttgart; and they (the germans at least) dont see it in the near future.

liability, not technical issues; are the main problem to implementation.
i have an idea on whats in the pipeline for the next 4 years... and fully autonomous cars are not there yet

i understand telsa wants to enter the insurance business; which pretty much is the only solution i see to the liability problem from the manufacturer/suppliers side.

thing is... if the insurance business were to be combined with the manufacturing business (at least for passenger cars), that´d be seppuku for the car industry.
passenger cars are sold pretty much at cost, with margins made on parts, mostlly on collsion parts, mostly paid by insurance companies.
take insurance in-house, and you move the price war to, yet, another turf.
I dont see that happening very soon... manufacturers will fight to death to delay that.
Shots fired.

read this a few days ago... GM is going into insurance market. thought they are setting up for autonomous vehicles.

And GM declares a fairly aggresive target toward EVs.

This reads to me as GM anticipating a demand crunch and taking the price battle up to insurance, which shows a will to sacrifice margins on collision parts if necesary, in order to compete with tesla and shake smaller players out of the market.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Oddball hackjob truck that I spotted the other day that @dan-o might appreciate:

That'd be a few generations old Super Duty Crew Cab. What's odd about it it is that it appears to be a "short" wheelbase/bed model with a bed and frame extension in the rear. Having that much bed and overhang is not a factory configuration! (and in person it had the scars and bondo to show that it was a homebrew creation).

I have no idea why someone would do this, other than that they had a newer rear clip, a welder, and half an idea.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
5A7112F0-75DC-48A6-A234-B31223A1AC28.jpeg

Not an easy ride but still enjoyable. Week 3 of 6 dawns on my Power Zone pack challenge.

Off to work 5-10 PM in a bit.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My new Outbound light has a very consistent beam pattern but needs more brightness 50-100 feet out.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
View attachment 152730

Not an easy ride but still enjoyable. Week 3 of 6 dawns on my Power Zone pack challenge.

Off to work 5-10 PM in a bit.

Not sure what your objective here is, but intervals build peak power. But the general rule of thumb is you can build power quickly and it goes away quickly. Endurance takes time but sticks around. If you are working towards riding in the spring you should be focusing on endurance now then work on power closer to the spring.

If you are trying to get into shape for skiing season, I would recommend some kind of electric assisted skis.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Not sure what your objective here is, but intervals build peak power. But the general rule of thumb is you can build power quickly and it goes away quickly. Endurance takes time but sticks around. If you are working towards riding in the spring you should be focusing on endurance now then work on power closer to the spring.

If you are trying to get into shape for skiing season, I would recommend some kind of electric assisted skis.
I have a lot of zone 2 hours for a base now.

That particular ride profile is because that is the designated week 3 day 1 ride for the challenge I'm doing at powerzonepack.com.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have a lot of zone 2 hours for a base now.

That particular ride profile is because that is the designated week 3 day 1 ride for the challenge I'm doing at powerzonepack.com.

I can see snow so I busted out my trainer. Despite a rather horrible year I can still turn out decent power. Power to weight ratio however needs work.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So re that Di2 upgrade idea for my elder kid's bike: I had been having trouble contacting my LBS. They'd never pick up the phone. I figured they might be sitting around, despondent.

Well, it turns out that they are instead crazy busy! Booked out for service until June 15, estimated 200 bikes in the shop awaiting service, and they've sold out of their stock of bikes on the floor.

I guess I'll be wrenching on the bike (+ wife's trike that needs some brake attention) myself instead. Good for them, though!

I never knew this product existed until today. I like the concept but have no use for it. I was thinking it may have been a better solution for you than Di2 on a kids bike.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
DC5C6E6D-B9A0-4D4F-A415-3E57FCDFAB2F.jpeg
6DB4145F-0FA9-46BF-9CA9-C74126C4D578.jpeg

Tested the Pint’s range today. 2.56 miles took 36% of the charge, so extrapolated out to 0% that’s 7.1 miles. Kid wants to keep it so it’ll stick around as my weapon of choice to get to/from Les Schwab and Discount Tire, and as last mile or two from the car dealer to the train when applicable.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
5A7112F0-75DC-48A6-A234-B31223A1AC28.jpeg

Capture.PNG

Week 4 Ride 1 of the challenge. Matt wanted zone 6 for those last 4 30 second intervals, but I interpreted that as zone 6 or greater because why not?

Intensity is ramping up in this week. W4R2 and W4R2 are Power Zone Endurance rides (so zones 2 and 3 for intervals), W4R3 and W4R5 zone 3-6 Power Zone proper rides like this one. Add in 3 extra 30 minute rides to complete all the extra credit ones and that's a wrap. I thought it was 6 weeks but it's 4.

After this I'm supposed to retake my FTP test, I think.