Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Our Italian PHEV decided to express a new, annoying behavior this afternoon: when I was waiting to back up up at Dotsero Junction at Mary Jane the rear cross-traffic detection alert correctly sounded.

Then it didn’t turn off for the whole rest of the drive home. I restarted the car several times to no avail, tried cycling the parking sensors on and off, etc.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
hmph

There is a very important metric in the automotive biz. "The" most important in my personal view.
Customer loyalty. How many current owners replace their cars with another of the same brand.

Toyota is the historical leader, with a % close to 2/3 in most markets. Industry average hovers around 50%.

Tesla has been aroound long enough to know what theirs. It stands at an amazing 80+%.
When I worked for Toyota or Mercedes... thats a number we could only dream about.

Now, a company with 80% of buyers staying with the brand for the next purchase + double digit growth rates + 2035 ICE ban in california (and posibly ny/texas to corner 1/3 of the US market) + 2025-2035 ban in europe... means really bad news for competitors.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That's a LOT of fucking Cranmer there... :D
The little bumps at the beginning and end and Yuna's turns are Cranmer, yes. Mariko's turns are on Larry Sale. All morning Yuna and I skied Larry Sale, lapping Arrow since there was no line and she doesn't mind the slow lift as she gets more snuggles.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Mortgage affordability calculator with hypothetical 95% LTV, 30 year, 3.000% loan on a second house (if such a lender exists that'd do this):

"With this information, you can get a general idea of how much home you can afford. For example, with a $79,200.00 down payment and a 30 year mortgage at 3.000%, you could afford a home that cost $1,584,600.00"

yeah nah, let's not do that.

(This does take into account our student loans, which aren't getting prepaid at all since they're at a lovely 0.15% at the moment. It doesn't take into account my high retirement savings, which makes me feel poorer, but similarly doesn't take into account bonuses, so that's probably a wash overall.)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
E9A18EE1-C69F-4350-96A6-AF741CF52658.png

I apparently have killed the heart rate sensor in my Apple Watch. Off to the Genius Bar on Wednesday I go. I should sit in the 3rd row seats of a Model Y while I’m there!

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hey @Nick , as our ski guru I had a question for you:

Wife (5’ 4”, 130-135 lbs or so, frontside groomer skier) is having some trouble really getting her Blizzard Black Pearl 98s up on edge throughout a turn, as one can see in my videos. So I was thinking of getting her something narrower underfoot and more carve-y by nature, where it’d be easier for her to get on edge earlier in the turn.

I called up Powder7 and they recommended this one based off of my filters of 145-154 cm, 60-80 mm waist:

118-80-104, 14 m radius, not noodly. Any thoughts on this? Her Black Pearl 98s are 135-98-119, 15 m radius, for comparison.

Edit: doing it. With 3 little girls who will all ski and eventually be roughly Jessica's size they will not go to waste. She may never ski her Black Pearls again, though! (She likes the groomers and powder just confuses her.)

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Hey @Nick , as our ski guru I had a question for you:

Wife (5’ 4”, 130-135 lbs or so, frontside groomer skier) is having some trouble really getting her Blizzard Black Pearl 98s up on edge throughout a turn, as one can see in my videos. So I was thinking of getting her something narrower underfoot and more carve-y by nature, where it’d be easier for her to get on edge earlier in the turn.

I called up Powder7 and they recommended this one based off of my filters of 145-154 cm, 60-80 mm waist:

118-80-104, 14 m radius, not noodly. Any thoughts on this? Her Black Pearl 98s are 135-98-119, 15 m radius, for comparison.

Edit: doing it. With 3 little girls who will all ski and eventually be roughly Jessica's size they will not go to waste. She may never ski her Black Pearls again, though! (She likes the groomers and powder just confuses her.)
I don't know, does she have good fundamentals, ie: does she know how to turn? Is it a question of not enough speed to get a good angle?

Mrs stoney should try your wife's black pearls, she looking for a moar funner ski.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I don't know, does she have good fundamentals, ie: does she know how to turn? Is it a question of not enough speed to get a good angle?

Mrs stoney should try your wife's black pearls, she looking for a moar funner ski.
She's just not very flexible in her hips and knees so just gets a hint of angle. She knows what to do but has trouble doing it enough.

Good call re Black Pearls. @stoney let me know when Sarah will be up and I'll haul them up similarly. Demo plates on bindings so easy to adjust in garage for her.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
@Pesqueeb @jonKranked

I finished Star Wars Rebels tonight. I really liked it. Their willingness to off main characters is refreshing for such a tale.

What next? I've already seen The Mandalorian, of course, and recently rewatched Ep I-III (awful even with Clone Wars as added context).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Trying to get my wife to understand this feeling of the center of mass passing down past the lower ski and then catching it with the skis carving around the outside.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Solar loan paid off as of a few minutes ago. This took a long time because of the credit union in question limiting amounts that can be transferred and also being glacially slow for each individual transfer. Closing out their account totally now.

Comparatively depressing January-paycheck pay advice noted in my spreadsheet (with return of 401(a) and FICA contributions in particular; also worked one fewer 5-10 PM elective shift in December, which gets paid a month later). Even with a slightly expensive-but-no-second-house month will be a bit in the red this month...

I think I've mentally convinced myself that adopting new debt will be ok. I'd run in the red month to month for probably 3/4s of the year, but a) bonuses (which are stashed away in my Betterment slush fund over the course of the year, used to balance each month out), and b) could always dial back my 403(b) and 457(b) contributions in a pinch.

So now the task comes to tease out which lenders would touch me with a 10 foot pole, whether they offer 0 or 5% down options at reasonable rates, and then if all those ducks line up, start looking for places once skiing wraps up circa end of March. I will not pull the trigger this spring if they want 10% or more down and will save up more in that case.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I think I've mentally convinced myself that adopting new debt will be ok. I'd run in the red month to month for probably 3/4s of the year, but a) bonuses (which are stashed away in my Betterment slush fund over the course of the year, used to balance each month out), and b) could always dial back my 403(b) and 457(b) contributions in a pinch.
Your constitution is stronger than mine. :fie: